Canada Post

Canada Post Employee Reviews in Mississauga, ON

Like any other industry there are positives and negatives with this job. What I did was general labor, at times strenuous and depending on the department relaxed and slow. Letter carrying can be quite a challenge, but if you like to be challenged go for it. It can be enjoyable but it can also be overwhelming.The key to working at Canada Post in any of the plants is to work smart, so as not to cause any repetitive type strain injuries or any injury for that matter. In other words, do not over exert yourself and do try to get assistance lifting anything heavy and take your time. You will learn ways in which you can minimize strains while working there, but you may be seen as lazy by some. The important thing is to protect your health and well being. Do your part, an honest days work, but find ways to minimize the strain.There is room for advancement as supervisors are always needed and from there you can climb the ladder and get into other areas of administration. Supervisors though, are caught in the middle between a unionized workforce and trying to give upper management the numbers they want. One of the nicer things about Canada post is a half decent pay rate and ok benefits. The pay is good for unskilled labor even though the current starting rate is lower that those who have been there longer. The benefits are also 1/2 decent. It is nice to have paid sick time and vacation as well as health coverages such as dental and prescription. Some of these coverages could be better, but I guess we have to be thankful for what we have.An unfortunate thing about working there - more...
Pros
unionized, ok pay, some 1/2 decent benefits, some paid sick days, opportunities for advancement
Cons
monotonous, can be hard, heavy and hard on the body
It gets better as you gain experience and seniority. Unlike most work places, you are given the most difficult jobs when you start and the easier jobs as you gain experience and seniority.Most likely you will start as an OCR (On call Relief) - No benefits. Since you have no seniority when you start you will only be called when there is work that more senior OCR decline. This means that you would only deliver large, heavy and overflow packages from various route owners. (paid by the packages delivered plus mileage). Occasionally you will be called to do a route (mail + ads + packages) for a specific area on the same day due to a route owner calling in sick on that day. A route is paid on a flat rate regardless of volume for that day. You will also only be paid 85% of what a route owner would get paid for their route. Be expected to get spotty work for at least the first 6 month. You will not be able to support yourself if you don’t have a second source of income.Postal routes are not created equally. Some routes are more difficult than others and pay will vary from route to route. If you are doing a route for the first time be expected to take a significant amount of extra time to find the Community Mailboxes or to understand where and how to deliver to business, apartment, condo complexes or retirement homes. You will also have to sort the ads that day (most route owner will sort the day before). In addition, since you are at the lowest seniority, you are likely doing a longer harder route which will make it impossible for you to complete you route in daylight during the short - more...
Good place to workFlexible hoursGood supervisorFast paced as well as relaxedPressure on at 1st day at new route.Flyers are heavy Good pay and benefitsGood allowancesSafe
a very secure job great pay benifits always room for advancement friendly people management proper, everyday is always going to be different.once you learn your route it becomes enjoyable to see your customers
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
traffic
Great place to work. Good work ethics. proper safety and no stressful. If given opportunity will work with this great company again. Worked as mail sorter on call basis, would like to work in clerical position on a permanent basis. I like the punctuality and friendly atmosphere/ The people I work were very helpful and co-operative. The managers were good at their work and able to guide the staff well and able to get the work done.
Pros
Good Pay/ Better and fair treatment of fellow staff
Cons
Washroom unclean or maintained well/ Pantry very clustered
Management constantly changes rules and guidelines. At one time it was about delivering the letters now it’s about parcels and flyers which is understandable. The corporation does not give you the adequate tools to do the job properly nor do they care how it gets done as long as it gets done. The pay scale has not gone up in 20 years, not after all the new deductions. Managed finds a way for the employee to pay for all the benefits. Which are poor compared to other corporations!
Mis management is no 1 set back at canadapost due to putting the wrong people in high positions, There's absolutely no need to ha ve superintendents, you should eliminate superintendent position to empower supervisors.
I dont mind my job but the manager in charge of our department has no understanding when it comes to respecting our job title and duties. To him its " you do what I say and work is work" As Electronic Specialist there are many meanigful tasks that we could do but are given tasks unrelated to our profession. He also completely lacks flexibility, especially for emergencies.
They overwork new employees and you don’t get any benefits while they do that. It takes months of hard physical labour before they decide to hire you officially and even then there’s a separate process to enroll in benefits. The management team will throw you with the most impossible routes because seniority is everything here and all the normal to easy routes are taken by more experienced employees. It would be worth it if they paid enough but even that is less than you deserve. Believe me I injured both my ankles while working and physical injuries are very common here with little chance of being paid for it. They will make it your fault for not being “careful enough” when you’re the one told to deliver to 700 mailboxes in 4 hours max. Benefits do not make this job worth it.
Excellent fast paced work environment..Supervisors are approachable and understanding.Flexibility in choosing shift.Work is repetitive.A diverse range of Co workers.Strong training given.
I was told many things in the first interview and in the actual interview with the maintenance manager that were not true, from my salary, days of work, times, and so on, pretty much everything. They make it seem like it's a lucrative government job, but the reality is that it's a pure toxic workplace with strong union and strong management who disagree on anything, in fact, they're collective agreement expired on Jan-2018 and as of right now they still don't have a new agreement, ask yourself why would you want to work in such a toxic environment. My coworkers, who are nice people and good citizens, were all minorities, males, new immigrants with poor language and skills, white educated Canadian citizens that came to work left shortly whiting weeks. Maintenance manager was manipulating all workers, and ignoring all problems we had. I suggest not to apply for work at Canada Post.
Federal employer that offers flexible work opportunities and great benefits. The culture is fairly good, however tension between labour and management exists.
I am been working at different position at Canada post from last 3 years. Canada post is the best place to work with from all aspects. Great culture and working environment. Great opportunity to work for Canada post. The best think i like at Canada post is Canada post will prefer their own employee for next level position and second option will be from outside. I love Canada post. I will be retiring from Canada post. I want my kids also work for Canada post.
Pros
Great place to work and excellent pay
Cons
There is no room for growth unless you are in the "in group" They remove positions and dump the work on the remaining employees so they don't have to hire new people. They don't take no for an answer when you are overworked, they expect it done right away. Workplace culture for the most part is okay minus management. The pay is minimal for the job that you do If you know a lot about your job everyone will come to you even if it is in different departments and it is expected that you help even if that means putting off your own job to help them. Again they don't take no for an answer. Management only cares about themselves and their bonuses. Union does nothing to help so that makes it even more difficult. Multiple people on stress leave due to the overwhelming amount of work that needs to be done. There is no work life balance whatsoever. This is not the canada post that everyone thinks it is. Times have changed for the worse and only continues to spiral downward.
Was initially excited to work at Canada Post however their call-in system can call you at anytime during the day from 8am-8pm. If you miss a call you have a very short window to call them back (shortest expiration I had was 6 minutes from missing the call). It's counted as a work refusal on your part. Do not do night shift with Canada Post.
It is a multi cultural work environment with very friendly co-workers. The management is very collaborative in every situation. Fun workplace experience is guaranteed.
I never suggest anybody to work over there very cheap company salaries too law you can’t think to work over there it’s better to work outside some where else
A typical day at work is going in talking to your employees and management on the work that must be completed for the day. Give advices and tips to make work get done faster in a safe manner.
good about job security Don’t have proper pay increase past 10 years Benefits doesn’t cover most of the medication Not enough hours To far from home
Considering cost of living & other factors Canada Post hired people at $24.00 per hour say in 2007. On all fairness that needs to be addressed proportionately now. With all costs of living risen manifold overcyhe years the minimum that should becdone is to implement equality in pay will have positive impact on the current "HAVES & HAVE NOTS" sort of culture.
Delivery of parcels and mails. Shoutout mails and parcels. Delivery of flyers. Drive to post box and deliver mails. Parcels deliver at home door to door. Brantford delivery of bags of mails. Delivery of parcels.
Pros
Free help