Canada Post

Mississauga, ON101 reviews

Found 101 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,997 reviews
parcelpostmaillettercarrierroutesortingunion

Good place to work but…

I was hired as an on call MSC (mail service courier) training was about 8 days. 4 in class and 4 on road. Great ppl and place to work but i didn't get a call for work for 2-3 months. I eventually got a new job by then.

Pros

Good people and training

Cons

Lack of work opportunities

Competitive wages and friendly staff

Typical day involves sorting, pushing and pulling on your feet all day. Coworkers are extremely friendly and supervisors are always around to help with your questions.

Pros

Coworkers

Insights into Canada Post

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Good

Great place to work but takes very long to get full time or part time position. Good if your young looking for a side job for extra money. I suggest applying

Postal Clerk

Postal Clerk for over 3 years. Easy and simple. Sorting all parcels and package, and not a fast pace, but take a easy and do a good job. Also sort the envelope

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Take long time to be hired

Great Job if you enjoy working outdoor and organized

In the beginning it's very challenging as a Letter Carrier / Delivery Agent - Expect some pain and stress in the beginning and long hours.Once you develop your own technique and figure out what works for you to be efficient (different types of tie-out methods, sorting mail, organizing parcels) you can finish earlier than the paid 8 hours. It takes at least a couple months to be a competent Letter Carrier. As a Temp you'll also need to learn a lot of different types of routes and you might not know what you'll be doing day-to-day if no work you could be sent to another station. You will deliver 1-10 sets of neighbourhood mail + Short and Long Mail + up to 40 Pounds Parcels daily. This job isn't for everyone, if you're in relatively good shape, enjoy working independently, loves engaging with customers and highly organized then this job is for you!

Pros

Exercise, Enjoy the outdoor, Great work environment

Cons

Outdoor hazards, Dogs, Winter

Good place to work at

Good place to work at just a bit difficult to be a permanent with seniority in it. No problem with it once you are inside, work is easy nothing too techincal about it.

Ok place to work

Working at Canada Post could be a good career/job if they had more opportunities to become a permanent employee. Until you become a permanent employee you will definitely need a second job, because the hours are so unpredictable and they call you in last minute for a shift.

Pros

You will meet amazing people

Cons

takes a long time to become full time or part time employee the hours are very inconsistent.

Organized and flexible schedules. Supervisors require on going training to change the culture in the plant.

Retail customer service clerk is a good experience if you are a people person. It’s good training provided by Canada Post by their experienced trainers to get you started with providing you all the customer service tools required in retail. Working in a plant has its own benefits as there are less responsibilities if you are not a multi tasked or people person.Plant culture needs to change at Canada Post and I am sure there are open talks about it now than in earlier years.In my opinion there should be ongoing training for the supervisors to reflect respect, civility and remedial training through their professional behaviour as there are lot of good employees being hired by the HR team and to make their efforts successful in order to continue to have their experienced, professional, talented, hardworking, efficient good employees to continue stay with Canada Post.Canada Post is a great Canadian company to work for which provides good opportunities to their employees by recognizing their efforts thru providing them to advance through career opportunities.

Pros

Overtime Benefits, free counselling services, part time & full time work schedules, good breaks

Cons

Lack of professionalism, favouritism, training, follow through, enforcing rules and regulations, especially important during Covid times, Lack of transparency, Old and senior supervisors acting as they own Canada Post and can’t let go of their control, Lack of Communication

Canada Post can be a great place depending on what you want out of life

Like any other industry there are positives and negatives with this job. What I did was general labor, at times strenuous and depending on the department relaxed and slow. Letter carrying can be quite a challenge, but if you like to be challenged go for it. It can be enjoyable but it can also be overwhelming.The key to working at Canada Post in any of the plants is to work smart, so as not to cause any repetitive type strain injuries or any injury for that matter. In other words, do not over exert yourself and do try to get assistance lifting anything heavy and take your time. You will learn ways in which you can minimize strains while working there, but you may be seen as lazy by some. The important thing is to protect your health and well being. Do your part, an honest days work, but find ways to minimize the strain.There is room for advancement as supervisors are always needed and from there you can climb the ladder and get into other areas of administration. Supervisors though, are caught in the middle between a unionized workforce and trying to give upper management the numbers they want. One of the nicer things about Canada post is a half decent pay rate and ok benefits. The pay is good for unskilled labor even though the current starting rate is lower that those who have been there longer. The benefits are also 1/2 decent. It is nice to have paid sick time and vacation as well as health coverages such as dental and prescription. Some of these coverages could be better, but I guess we have to be thankful for what we have.An unfortunate thing about working there -

Pros

unionized, ok pay, some 1/2 decent benefits, some paid sick days, opportunities for advancement

Cons

monotonous, can be hard, heavy and hard on the body

It gets better as you gain experience and seniority.

It gets better as you gain experience and seniority. Unlike most work places, you are given the most difficult jobs when you start and the easier jobs as you gain experience and seniority.Most likely you will start as an OCR (On call Relief) - No benefits. Since you have no seniority when you start you will only be called when there is work that more senior OCR decline. This means that you would only deliver large, heavy and overflow packages from various route owners. (paid by the packages delivered plus mileage). Occasionally you will be called to do a route (mail + ads + packages) for a specific area on the same day due to a route owner calling in sick on that day. A route is paid on a flat rate regardless of volume for that day. You will also only be paid 85% of what a route owner would get paid for their route. Be expected to get spotty work for at least the first 6 month. You will not be able to support yourself if you don’t have a second source of income.Postal routes are not created equally. Some routes are more difficult than others and pay will vary from route to route. If you are doing a route for the first time be expected to take a significant amount of extra time to find the Community Mailboxes or to understand where and how to deliver to business, apartment, condo complexes or retirement homes. You will also have to sort the ads that day (most route owner will sort the day before). In addition, since you are at the lowest seniority, you are likely doing a longer harder route which will make it impossible for you to complete you route in daylight during the short -

Good work place

Good place to workFlexible hoursGood supervisorFast paced as well as relaxedPressure on at 1st day at new route.Flyers are heavy Good pay and benefitsGood allowancesSafe

clean and safe vehicle

a very secure job great pay benifits always room for advancement friendly people management proper, everyday is always going to be different.once you learn your route it becomes enjoyable to see your customers

Pros

paid lunch

Cons

traffic

Very interest and enyoyable

Great place to work. Good work ethics. proper safety and no stressful. If given opportunity will work with this great company again. Worked as mail sorter on call basis, would like to work in clerical position on a permanent basis. I like the punctuality and friendly atmosphere/ The people I work were very helpful and co-operative. The managers were good at their work and able to guide the staff well and able to get the work done.

Pros

Good Pay/ Better and fair treatment of fellow staff

Cons

Washroom unclean or maintained well/ Pantry very clustered

Management constantly changes rules and guidelines

Management constantly changes rules and guidelines. At one time it was about delivering the letters now it’s about parcels and flyers which is understandable. The corporation does not give you the adequate tools to do the job properly nor do they care how it gets done as long as it gets done. The pay scale has not gone up in 20 years, not after all the new deductions. Managed finds a way for the employee to pay for all the benefits. Which are poor compared to other corporations!

mismanagement

Mis management is no 1 set back at canadapost due to putting the wrong people in high positions, There's absolutely no need to ha ve superintendents, you should eliminate superintendent position to empower supervisors.

Pretty good place to work but some of the upper management seriously lack people skills as well as flexibility.

I dont mind my job but the manager in charge of our department has no understanding when it comes to respecting our job title and duties. To him its " you do what I say and work is work" As Electronic Specialist there are many meanigful tasks that we could do but are given tasks unrelated to our profession. He also completely lacks flexibility, especially for emergencies.

Not a good place to work

They overwork new employees and you don’t get any benefits while they do that. It takes months of hard physical labour before they decide to hire you officially and even then there’s a separate process to enroll in benefits. The management team will throw you with the most impossible routes because seniority is everything here and all the normal to easy routes are taken by more experienced employees. It would be worth it if they paid enough but even that is less than you deserve. Believe me I injured both my ankles while working and physical injuries are very common here with little chance of being paid for it. They will make it your fault for not being “careful enough” when you’re the one told to deliver to 700 mailboxes in 4 hours max. Benefits do not make this job worth it.

Happy

Excellent fast paced work environment..Supervisors are approachable and understanding.Flexibility in choosing shift.Work is repetitive.A diverse range of Co workers.Strong training given.

Toxic environment

I was told many things in the first interview and in the actual interview with the maintenance manager that were not true, from my salary, days of work, times, and so on, pretty much everything. They make it seem like it's a lucrative government job, but the reality is that it's a pure toxic workplace with strong union and strong management who disagree on anything, in fact, they're collective agreement expired on Jan-2018 and as of right now they still don't have a new agreement, ask yourself why would you want to work in such a toxic environment. My coworkers, who are nice people and good citizens, were all minorities, males, new immigrants with poor language and skills, white educated Canadian citizens that came to work left shortly whiting weeks. Maintenance manager was manipulating all workers, and ignoring all problems we had. I suggest not to apply for work at Canada Post.

Canada post summary

Federal employer that offers flexible work opportunities and great benefits. The culture is fairly good, however tension between labour and management exists.

Excellent place to work.

I am been working at different position at Canada post from last 3 years. Canada post is the best place to work with from all aspects. Great culture and working environment. Great opportunity to work for Canada post. The best think i like at Canada post is Canada post will prefer their own employee for next level position and second option will be from outside. I love Canada post. I will be retiring from Canada post. I want my kids also work for Canada post.

Pros

Great place to work and excellent pay

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement