Canada Post
Happiness score is 66 out of 100

Canada Post Employee Reviews in Edmonton, AB

Edmonton, AB105 reviews

Found 105 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,998 reviews

As an on-call temp, AT THE SORTING WAREHOUSE, you really need a 2nd job.

During Christmas season you can expect to get 30 - 36 hours a week. Around mid February it's dropped to 8 - 12 hours a week. One thing I've noticed that bothers me is that part-timers, even permanent, get less fair treatment than full-timers. The union is supposed to support all their workers but is biased towards full-timers. They always offer them the over time over part-timers which is unfair. Permanent employees should be treated equally. It's hard to get in to Canada Post but once you do I hear it's very easy to stay. Good pay and benefits. Full-timers are guaranteed 40hrs a week. Part-timers are supposed to get around 20 but have had permanents tell me they only get the bare minimum during the slower times (8hrs). It takes a long time to get permanent - about 2 years at the current rate. They used to have more part-time positions but now only seem to have part-time clerks, at the sorting warehouse, during the 8am - 4pm shift time. Long time workers can be annoying at times when telling you what to do.

Pros

Nice coworkers, pay is above minimum wage.

Cons

Union Bias. Hard to get permanent. Temp/part-time is not enough, need a second job. Only one part-time position available. Lack of communication with temps/on calls.

Decent when I worked there

No complaints really. Easy going and fun work environment. Got to meet lots of people and help lots of people advance their careers. A fulfilling career for sure

Pros

Work life balance

Insights into Canada Post

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

The workplace was very easy to work in, everyone helped each other when needed.

I was able to start and finish my work at my pace, but yet efficiently. This was because the volume of mail varied every day. The supervisors were very helpful in providing reflective vests and uniforms as needed.

Pros

The professionalism

Cons

The weather.

Experience

Working at Canada Post is terrific, but if you are located Edmonton like area where winter is harsh, it is extremely difficult on winter. summer is really fun. If you finish your work before designated 8 hours, you can come back to home.

Pros

Exercise, work alone

Cons

Winter season

Excellent

Great place to work. Supervisors are great. Workload can become overwhelming at times. Good workplace atmosphere to be around and best of all you will work alone when on a route and that makes for a nice day in my opinion.

Pros

Independent workdays

Cons

Low pay

Toxic Work Environment

First year to 2nd year are hellish. Expect to be on a new route every day, and to go weeks or even months without getting called in for a single shift. If you’re not available to come in when they do randomly call you, you will be put at the bottom of the call list & have to work your way up again, which can take forever. Every couple years the company “restructures” routes; they say in order to keep up to date with changing parcel & mail numbers. In actuality, the restructures are nothing more than making routes longer in order to cut the amount of routes, & consequently # of full time employees, despite parcel numbers & admail skyrocketing. I’ve worked there for 7 years and my body is slowly deteriorating, despite only being in my 30’s. My route averaged 18 kms a day, which is smaller than a lot of routes. Some of my coworker’s routes average 25-30. I know of many long-time carriers who have had to get knee & foot surgeries. Besides the physical toll, there is a significant mental toll as well due to the toxic atmosphere created mostly by management. As much as they talk about how important safety is, it’s all lip service. Perfect example is management not implementing safety measures during COVID-19; they only did so after weeks of pressure from the union & individual workers on the floor. If you happen to get injured, which you almost certainly will (Canada Post has the highest injury rate of all federal sectors), they will do everything in their power to make the claim process a difficult one for you. You will be treated as inept & lazy, with little to no compassion -

Pros

Working alone majority of day, most co-workers & customers are great

Cons

Management style, pay, job security 1st years of employment

mail sorter

Easy work , but always on the night shift. It took years to advance.I left do to shortage of work, decline in work, then hours. Strong Union, very safe.

fun work place

Once you get part time permanent or full time permanent it gets better. Yes it's a bit tough when you start as a casual but it's a great place to work.

Decent job if you have no education

If walking a half marathon a day is for you then this is the job for you. The job is very stressful at Christmas due to the volume of parcels and mail. Ice in the early spring is a hazard as well.

Equal opportunity employer.

As applicable for all equal opp employers, many feel overworked and under appreciated. Focus is on $$ more than safety but they are working on fixing this. Hopefully it actually happens sometime and the workers receive the fair contracts they deserve.

Stick with it

After a long career and doing many different jobs I was able to advanced into a management role. The opportunity is their if you want to expand your knowledge and go into management. Dedication is key.

Pros

pension and benefits

Cons

some of the working conditions

Letter carrier

My experience as. A. Letter carrier was the most exciting part of my job especially meeting my clients to hand them their mail with some small talk it made my job like an easy walk through the maze of Edmonton. Each day was always different from the last which I enjoyed.

Horrible place to work

Management are the absolute worst human beings there are only a few that really care the rest are heartless. If they just actually stopped bullying people and actually cared about the training of the temporary workers they would stay alot longer .

Positive Work Environment

It was amazing working there. Only down fall is the temporary position as you get comfortable then it’s done. To have a permanent position is not easy a lot of hoops to jump. It’s hard cause I really want a permanent position however I am jobless and hope for the opportunity

Baaaddd to the bone

For new temp hire, no guarantees hour, waiting for work, sometimes no work for weeks or months, pay union due even without work, work Place is toxic, management don’t care, when you get assignments, new route every shift, they can shorten your assignment anytime, some managers so rude, after you finished probation, you are still temp without guaranteed hour, still no benefits.

Great company

If you can handle the different requirements they have then it is worth sticking around. Starting off on call is difficult but worth it to have a stable job.

Decent job if you enjoy working on your own with little to no input from management. Pay is a little on the low side but if you can get a full time position the benefits are worth it.

Matters the depot

Some supervisors are good, many are bad. You would think that it would be more good than bad, but it matters the depot. Usually, poor management is in the busiest of depots, the smaller depots have down to earth people who know what their position is for. Support and supervision is a delicate line that many people get confused with micromanagement.

Be prepared to wait

Be prepared to wait for a permanency. If you love a very fast paced environment, then this is great for you. The job is amazing however, my only downfall outlook on the company is that the pay isn't great and when you first start you will be waiting to actually work after you finish onboarding. Then, It will take over a year (in most cases) to get a permanent position. You will be bounced to 3 different depots until this opening is available. management is great. Trainers are amazing. Benefits are great.

lots of loophole not to get your raise, know your bargaining agreement!

if you can find another job, do it, job security is good but lowest pay rate amongst competition i.e. purolator, fedex, ups to name a few, management has a mafia culture, if you are not in their group, you will be treated differently, other people can get away with murder, while you get a 5 day suspension for the same offense.

Great exercise

Great exercise - delivered mail out doors. Hours are nice as you can be done early in the day on the AM shift. Union vs Canada Post can sometimes be tough.

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement