Canada Post

Canada Post Employee Reviews in Edmonton, AB

I was able to start and finish my work at my pace, but yet efficiently. This was because the volume of mail varied every day. The supervisors were very helpful in providing reflective vests and uniforms as needed.
Pros
The professionalism
Cons
The weather.
Productive fast pace environment, good co workers, good benefits and sometimes stressful,Good supervisors and very accommodating when you ask for guidance
Pros
Organize and safe work environment
Cons
Repetitive task
Working at Canada Post is terrific, but if you are located Edmonton like area where winter is harsh, it is extremely difficult on winter. summer is really fun. If you finish your work before designated 8 hours, you can come back to home.
Pros
Exercise, work alone
Cons
Winter season
Great place to work. Supervisors are great. Workload can become overwhelming at times. Good workplace atmosphere to be around and best of all you will work alone when on a route and that makes for a nice day in my opinion.
Pros
Independent workdays
Cons
Low pay
First year to 2nd year are hellish. Expect to be on a new route every day, and to go weeks or even months without getting called in for a single shift. If you’re not available to come in when they do randomly call you, you will be put at the bottom of the call list & have to work your way up again, which can take forever. Every couple years the company “restructures” routes; they say in order to keep up to date with changing parcel & mail numbers. In actuality, the restructures are nothing more than making routes longer in order to cut the amount of routes, & consequently # of full time employees, despite parcel numbers & admail skyrocketing. I’ve worked there for 7 years and my body is slowly deteriorating, despite only being in my 30’s. My route averaged 18 kms a day, which is smaller than a lot of routes. Some of my coworker’s routes average 25-30. I know of many long-time carriers who have had to get knee & foot surgeries. Besides the physical toll, there is a significant mental toll as well due to the toxic atmosphere created mostly by management. As much as they talk about how important safety is, it’s all lip service. Perfect example is management not implementing safety measures during COVID-19; they only did so after weeks of pressure from the union & individual workers on the floor. If you happen to get injured, which you almost certainly will (Canada Post has the highest injury rate of all federal sectors), they will do everything in their power to make the claim process a difficult one for you. You will be treated as inept & lazy, with little to no compassion - more...
Pros
Working alone majority of day, most co-workers & customers are great
Cons
Management style, pay, job security 1st years of employment
Easy work , but always on the night shift. It took years to advance.I left do to shortage of work, decline in work, then hours. Strong Union, very safe.
Once you get part time permanent or full time permanent it gets better. Yes it's a bit tough when you start as a casual but it's a great place to work.
If walking a half marathon a day is for you then this is the job for you. The job is very stressful at Christmas due to the volume of parcels and mail. Ice in the early spring is a hazard as well.
As applicable for all equal opp employers, many feel overworked and under appreciated. Focus is on $$ more than safety but they are working on fixing this. Hopefully it actually happens sometime and the workers receive the fair contracts they deserve.
After a long career and doing many different jobs I was able to advanced into a management role. The opportunity is their if you want to expand your knowledge and go into management. Dedication is key.
Pros
pension and benefits
Cons
some of the working conditions
My experience as. A. Letter carrier was the most exciting part of my job especially meeting my clients to hand them their mail with some small talk it made my job like an easy walk through the maze of Edmonton. Each day was always different from the last which I enjoyed.
Management are the absolute worst human beings there are only a few that really care the rest are heartless. If they just actually stopped bullying people and actually cared about the training of the temporary workers they would stay alot longer .
It was amazing working there. Only down fall is the temporary position as you get comfortable then it’s done. To have a permanent position is not easy a lot of hoops to jump. It’s hard cause I really want a permanent position however I am jobless and hope for the opportunity
For new temp hire, no guarantees hour, waiting for work, sometimes no work for weeks or months, pay union due even without work, work Place is toxic, management don’t care, when you get assignments, new route every shift, they can shorten your assignment anytime, some managers so rude, after you finished probation, you are still temp without guaranteed hour, still no benefits.
If you can handle the different requirements they have then it is worth sticking around. Starting off on call is difficult but worth it to have a stable job.
Decent job if you enjoy working on your own with little to no input from management. Pay is a little on the low side but if you can get a full time position the benefits are worth it.
Some supervisors are good, many are bad. You would think that it would be more good than bad, but it matters the depot. Usually, poor management is in the busiest of depots, the smaller depots have down to earth people who know what their position is for. Support and supervision is a delicate line that many people get confused with micromanagement.
Be prepared to wait for a permanency. If you love a very fast paced environment, then this is great for you. The job is amazing however, my only downfall outlook on the company is that the pay isn't great and when you first start you will be waiting to actually work after you finish onboarding. Then, It will take over a year (in most cases) to get a permanent position. You will be bounced to 3 different depots until this opening is available. management is great. Trainers are amazing. Benefits are great.
if you can find another job, do it, job security is good but lowest pay rate amongst competition i.e. purolator, fedex, ups to name a few, management has a mafia culture, if you are not in their group, you will be treated differently, other people can get away with murder, while you get a 5 day suspension for the same offense.
Great exercise - delivered mail out doors. Hours are nice as you can be done early in the day on the AM shift. Union vs Canada Post can sometimes be tough.
Do not work here . It was an overall terrible experience. From breaking labour laws, to work place bullying, the only small good is the co workers.half star