Canada Post logo
Canada Post

Canada Post

Canada Post Employee Review

Rural delivery assistant

My mother had been working for Canada Post almost my entire life, at first as a contractor until in 2004 RSMCs were made employees of Canada Post. Security regulations were put in place and RSMCs now needed assistants to deliver because they were no longer aloud to drive against traffic, and the Ergonomic assistant position was born. My mother automatically got me security cleared so I could become her helper. I also eventually took on another route as well, both carriers had to make it so they could line up well enough to trade me off which made it a little interesting at times. I enjoyed the environment of working out in the country and delivering to all of the country homes. You get to know customers and learn new ways to make the work more enjoyable.

Pros

being in the country, listening to music while working

2.0Job security/advancement

Same role

Rural Contractor/Sub-Contractor

Worked as a rural contractor/sub-contractor, sorting & delivering mail & parcels to cmb modules (postal boxes) and parcel delivery to the door. The pay is decent, however they do NOT take any deductions off your pay, so unless you have many deductions, you will end up having to pay the government HUGE income tax. Because I functioned as a fill-in (sub-contractor) for the contractor of the route, I was not entitled to any of the union benefits or perks, nor did I acquire any seniority, which made it difficult to apply for any other job postings from within, or have any chance of retaining my job when the contractor of the route retires. The job itself is okay, but it’s ridiculous that a crown corporation treats its personnel so unfairly, and although I was doing the exact job as the contractor, I was paid differently and without the same perks/benefits. This is a busy job position with many hoops to jump through, too many politics and shoddy treatment from the general public (due to misinformation on the part of Canada post and retailers). To anyone who thinks this job would be easy, I say RUN....IT ISN’T WORTH IT.

Pros

Working outside

Cons

Working outside, unfair treatment from company as well as general public
Same role

Unfair hiring practices

Worked for Canada Post as a contractor for almost 3full years everyday route came up for full time job,wasn’t even gave an interview they hired someone that had no experience because the person hired was known to someone they knew,hows that fair hiring practices.
Same location

a safe and pleasant place to work

loading trucks distributing mail sorting mail including letter mail/parcels presenting mail to the letter carriers receiving mail from pickups and prepping for dispatch

Pros

good benefits

3.3Job security/advancement