Canada Post logo
Canada Post

Canada Post

Canada Post Employee Review

productive workplace with pleasant co workers

A typical day at work would maybe involve sorting mail,collection of mail,C.O.D's,delivery of mail,scanning parcels for delivery or pick up. Hardest part of the job was there wasn't any set hours,so you had no idea when your day would start and end.Most enjoyable was a small office with only 5 employees there at a time.

Pros

weekends, government holidays off, pleasant co-workers, small rural area so easy to get to know the customers

Cons

no benefits, low pay rate, travelling in bad weather

1.0Job security/advancement

Rural Contractor/Sub-Contractor

Worked as a rural contractor/sub-contractor, sorting & delivering mail & parcels to cmb modules (postal boxes) and parcel delivery to the door. The pay is decent, however they do NOT take any deductions off your pay, so unless you have many deductions, you will end up having to pay the government HUGE income tax. Because I functioned as a fill-in (sub-contractor) for the contractor of the route, I was not entitled to any of the union benefits or perks, nor did I acquire any seniority, which made it difficult to apply for any other job postings from within, or have any chance of retaining my job when the contractor of the route retires. The job itself is okay, but it’s ridiculous that a crown corporation treats its personnel so unfairly, and although I was doing the exact job as the contractor, I was paid differently and without the same perks/benefits. This is a busy job position with many hoops to jump through, too many politics and shoddy treatment from the general public (due to misinformation on the part of Canada post and retailers). To anyone who thinks this job would be easy, I say RUN....IT ISN’T WORTH IT.

Pros

Working outside

Cons

Working outside, unfair treatment from company as well as general public

Unfair hiring practices

Worked for Canada Post as a contractor for almost 3full years everyday route came up for full time job,wasn’t even gave an interview they hired someone that had no experience because the person hired was known to someone they knew,hows that fair hiring practices.
Same role

work harder than the actual canada post employees

I worked as a contractor for over 4 years trying to get on full time but was passed up for 5 positions, they kept saying you can still be a contractor... I worked in 6 different post office and all 6 office did things their own way. I even tought some of the actual employees how to do their job properly. I find it absurd that canada post keep hiring people that have never worked a day there instead of promoting the contractor that is looking for a permanent position. Maybe I was in the wrong province but mind blowing, I even had to train the new hires on how to do the job I had been doing for three months with no complaint. I also became that drivers back up driver and then he went on maternity leave, and I came back as a contractor for seven months during Christmas and all that fun. He returned to work for two months in the summer, the easy months, and then quit, I was then asked to return and I did, and the job was given to someone else. So in the long run, I feel I wasted 4 years of my life for a corporation that didn't care about my performance and hard work, so if you like working for a corporation that doesn't care what you do, or how hard you work and are happy being on call, This is the job for you, The pay is great but the fact that I had no opportunity to get a job with the corporation was a big waste of time...I should have just waited for a job opportunity and applied. Apparently knowing the route and how the day to day schedule and how to use the pdt is not even important in the hiring process . Seriously I had almost 300 customers, and knew them all by name, I -

Pros

money, work life balance

Cons

No chance of advancement

3.3Job security/advancement

Compare Canada Post with

• Canada Post
  • productive workplace with pleasant co workers