Canada Post logo
Canada Post

Canada Post

Canada Post Employee Review

I was a Mail Handler/Dispatcher for 30 years. These jobs overlapped, but the Dispatcher Job stayed on the loading dock more.I loaded and unloaded Hwy Service trucks, small cube vans, etc. I could dump and cull bags of mostly publications, weigh in all types of mail and record info. Sort parcels for final delivery. Dump raw mail (from mailboxes) on a conveyor belt. Dispatch and Receive Hwy Services trucks by filling out the relevant forms both manually and entering into the computer. As a Dispatcher I would also assign duties to Mail Handlers. As a Dispatcher I would decide what got the priority and what order on the truck the mail would be loaded. Occasionally I would have to contact the Control Centre in London, On., if there was a problem regarding one of the Hwy Services, whether regularly scheduled or an overload truck.

Pros

good pay and benefits, regular hours, clean work environment, good health and safety, and no lay-offs -- ever!

Cons

too many strikes, bad workplace atmosphere for too many years due to poor union - management relations, and some incompetent and sometimes just mean spirited managers.

3.0Job security/advancement

Same role

This is a public service job

I loved working for Canada Post.I have had 48 years of working experience and over the years Canada Post was my favorite by far. Although it is not classified as an essential service, it truly is, despite today’s technology! Much of the public still depend on our service.
Same location

Modern Canada Post

This is not the job it used to be. Declining mail volume has given management all the leverage. The routes are way too long now, 800-1200 points of call is the new norm. Employee turnover is high, injuries are high, morale is low and it takes forever to get your own route. And yes, it will be a horrible route. Management has tried for decades to make the routes longer and they succeeded. As a relief carrier, you could be delivering mail until 8pm some days. Then back at it again the next day.

Pros

Good pay and benefits

Cons

Long hours, long routes, not enough help for relief carriers, injuries, management
Same location

Great job

I love working at canada post. Training is good. Great place to work and wage is above fair. The job is not hard and is enjoyable. The only con is if you are a casual employee you don't get hours. I went 3 months without being called in for an assignment but when I do work I really enjoy the work.

Pros

Paid breaks

Cons

Not enough hours given

3.3Job security/advancement

Compare Canada Post with

• Canada Post
  • Load and unload trucks, manually sort and cull mail, Dispatch and Recieve Highway Service Trucks.