Canada Post logo
Canada Post

Canada Post

Canada Post Employee Review

Horrible Management

You will be loaded up like a pack mule almost every day. Management will lie straight to your face. Management is not transparent in any way but they expect you to be. There is supposedly a weight limit on how much you can carry at a time, but management does not care about that. You will have many days where you cannot fit everything necessary into your bag, but you have to find a way to carry it all. I was told that it is acceptable to bring a few pieces of mail back to the depot (if you missed a few houses by accident, or something like that) but then got yelled at by management for doing so. I was on Covid leave in December of 2020 due to possible exposure while working in the main plant in Saskatoon. While on Covid leave, my supervisor would call and text almost every day to see when I would be back to work. Routes are too long, days are too heavy, and management does nothing to help alleviate this.

Pros

The work day can be done in under 8 hours, if you're fast enough and if it's a light mail day.

Cons

Management, being overworked almost every day, unappreciated and disrespected

1.0Job security/advancement

Same role

Modern Canada Post

This is not the job it used to be. Declining mail volume has given management all the leverage. The routes are way too long now, 800-1200 points of call is the new norm. Employee turnover is high, injuries are high, morale is low and it takes forever to get your own route. And yes, it will be a horrible route. Management has tried for decades to make the routes longer and they succeeded. As a relief carrier, you could be delivering mail until 8pm some days. Then back at it again the next day.

Pros

Good pay and benefits

Cons

Long hours, long routes, not enough help for relief carriers, injuries, management
Same role

Worst company

Worst place I ever worked at so unorganized. Managers have not clue what they are doing, and they have never actually been a letter carrier. If you like to deliver mail in -40, +40, carry heavy mail bags, dogs that may attack you, in a rain storm and then get in trouble because the mail is wet. Then this is the right job for you. Don’t forget your dog spray. If they don’t have work for you at the station be prepared to drive your own car to another location.

Pros

15km a day walking in fantastic weather. Rain or shine.

Cons

You will get in trouble for everything.
Same location

I enjoyed my time there

Although I was never part of a strike, I can say I enjoyed my time being a post office clerk. It was a challenging job that made me test myself for the first-time in my work life as a fresh high school graduate.

3.3Job security/advancement