Canada Post
Happiness score is 73 out of 100
Canada Post Employee Review

Avoid unless you're a mule

24 February 2021
At first I was excited to work at Canada Post. I'll make a difference I told myself. Boy was I wrong! You come in as a temporary relief carrier. Good luck being full-time permanent as that means they would have to pay you benefits, can't have that! It means you are at the bottom of the barrel. Working outside isn't the issue it's actually a relief being outside away from the depot. Experienced carriers will keep being surprised that you're staying and will tell you. Wear and tear of your body will come quickly. Many older carriers all have some form of injury or surgery that needed to be done related to the job. During the holidays, expect to be the biggest mule in North America. Some routes are very heavy on parcels and packets. Expect to walk at minimum 20+kms per day. Same goes for junk mails...ops, I meant flyers or neighborhood mail. Some routes will have 3-4 of them. Others will have 8 to 12 of them. Management is hit or miss, literally. They might give you the almighty speeches about caring about you and your safety, but they care more about the bottom line than you the employee lining their pockets. I used to hear this joke about how their step vans were held together by gum and tape...it's not a joke in actuality because they are in the inside. The union doesn't give 2 cents as long their overloads are with them. Company is ran like it's the 60's...
1.0Job security/advancement
Pros
working outside
Cons
management, useless union, no modern equipment for carriers or vehicles
26 May 2021
Same role
Parcel delivery/letter carrier (Former Employee) - Kelowna
Way too heavy workload most days. Customer service is non existent based on this fact and you are forced to treat people poorly. I would avoid at all costs
Pros
Work by yourself
Cons
Long days, poor management, painfully dated technology and vehicles, on call, no benefits
13 May 2021
Same role
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) - Saskatoon, SK
You will be loaded up like a pack mule almost every day. Management will lie straight to your face. Management is not transparent in any way but they expect you to be. There is supposedly a weight limit on how much you can carry at a time, but management does not care about that. You will have many days where you cannot fit everything necessary into your bag, but you have to find a way to carry it all. I was told that it is acceptable to bring a few pieces of mail back to the depot (if you missed a few houses by accident, or something like that) but then got yelled at by management for doing so. I was on Covid leave in December of 2020 due to possible exposure while working in the main plant in Saskatoon. While on Covid leave, my supervisor would call and text almost every day to see when I would be back to work. Routes are too long, days are too heavy, and management does nothing to help alleviate this.
Pros
The work day can be done in under 8 hours, if you're fast enough and if it's a light mail day.
Cons
Management, being overworked almost every day, unappreciated and disrespected
9 February 2021
Same roleSame location
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) - Surrey, BC
High Union fees. Good company for long term stability. Start as a temp on call could take years before you get offered a permanent position. Extremely hard work. Walking in all weather while carrying heavy bags. Not for someone thinking it will be easy job to do. It's not. After 2 weeks of in class training which is basically watching videos and exams. You get 1 week on the job training. You think your good to go after until you get thrown in to a route on your own that's very hard to get all complete in time before your 8 hour shift ends. Also there is a mail sorting test at the end of all training. Needs 98% accuracy and if not passed you don't get the job. Also a fitness test is required. This involves walking up and down stairs and all around the room while carrying up to 50lbs. This just determins if your fit enough for the job.
  1. Avoid unless you're a mule