Canada Post Employee Reviews

Found 1,150 reviews matching the search See all 1,173 reviews
Featured review
Canada Post selected this as a representative review
was a privlidge to work with Canada post
Courier/Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC3 January 2019
I worked with Canada post many years ago when I lived on the mainland. Loved my job and would have never left if not for having to move due to a family crisis When I moved to the Island I was unable to transfer so I lost my position. I retrained and became a MOA and worked in that Profession for 25 years.
Pros
wages benefits working with people in the public and out doors
Cons
bad weather
A fading star in the competitive universe
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Canada15 January 2019
What an interesting place this is. It is a company that is in the competitive realm but refuses to take competition seriously. It has many barriers without a doubt including the unions; however, management just doesn't put its energy (what's left of it) into the right places.

The company spends more time talking about what they are going to do as opposed to actually doing it. This and there is no accountability for anyone. You can tell someone to do something a million times and they won't do it. What is the result? nothing! So you end up with a mock bureaucracy.

Regardless there is opportunity here and great work life balance. I have some great colleagues I work with and by no means am I work myself to death. But we are becoming more irrelevant to the consumer every day.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Pay and hours
Politicical
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Cornwall, ON14 January 2019
It is a Political Nightmare, Overburdened at all times, Forced Overtime, Stress due to Political and Union Disagreements. Management are not allowed to make decisions and must ask upper management for solution
Pros
Salary
Cons
Long hours, Overburdening
My office was a great place to work the company has some issues
Rural and Suburban Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Spirit River, AB12 January 2019
I was an RSMC there were thing I loved about this job but Canada Post makes it hard to move up from the position I was in very disappointing and when I got injured on the job I felt they wanted me to just go away rather than try to keep me in some position
Pros
Very self dependent on the route
Cons
Hours and pay didn't match
Good group of people I worked with
RURAL SUBURBAN MAIL CARRIER (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON12 January 2019
good job but can be long hours summers are shorter days but in the winter with daylight hours can be a problem some times we use our own vehicles and we have to take care of the maintenance on them
It's who you know not what you know
Rural Suburban Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON8 January 2019
This is a terrible organization built on bullying and intimidation. They don't pay when they're supposed and purposely give new hires the wrong route info to see if they can break them. RUN!!
Pros
Reputable company
Cons
Terrible company
Un mot!
Facteur tempo (Former Employee) –  Châteauguay, QC5 January 2019
Job de marde! Appliquer pas là! Vous me croyez! Appliquer voir!
Your just a number do not care about their employees
Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 January 2019
Had accident have many limitation but HR or my Director have no feeling for employees I wonder if this would happen to them and they become disable how they would feel. Remember your only a number. I have a specialist and a Dr that indicate that I cannot go back to work due to many restrictions also to go into the office that is not equipped to my restrictions and that it would cause me more pain they still call me to go in without having a certification to return to work. That how it works. Shephell what a joke they do even have the same story.
They tell me that they will cut pay to tried to make me go in to work without proper authorization from Dr. I have official medical MRI that indicate that I have many issues. This I what we deal with on-top of having physical pain almost consently. They are causing stress and mental pain now. CPC is not what it was that for sure.
Pros
Cons
Many bullying and bureaucracy
Organized & Friendly Environment
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON1 January 2019
Now I know I only been a Letter carrier for 10 months but I've been at 66 ray, oakdale, commissioners and I'm currently in the Woodbridge area. I have never had a problem with none of these depots or supervisors my onky complaint is the money. As a letter carrier you have many responsibilities to the customer and not mentioning we work with all weather conditions. At $19.86 you cannot survive a family with that. Letter carriers need to be equal to the majority of LC. I get tired when I hear people bashing supervisors , "JUST DO YOUR JOB" and know one will bother you. Don't talk bad about Canada post, if you don't like your job just LEAVE and give it to someone that deserves it. There has to be a better selection in hiring for Cp.
Pros
Great Organization to work for
Cons
Poor Salary
In a word: No.
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB1 January 2019
TL; DR? No.

First of all, let me begin by saying that I *really wanted this job... until I got the job.

If you're looking to be treated like a piece of dookie for $19.86/hr, be my guest.

Position reviewed: Relief/On-Call Letter Carrier.

All new hires are "casual/on-call". NO ONE is hired full-time. NO ONE. You could get 1 call/week, you could 2 or 3 or more, it all depends on the work-load - but it's not consistent, even during a strike. Also, God forbid you have another job and can't answer the phone when they call, because they will call again, and again, and again. I have been told in no uncertain terms that if I'm not available, to not answer the phone; however, you'd think that answering the phone and saying you're not available (because you're working your other job, for example) is acceptable, but you'd be wrong. Dead wrong; and management will react like a scorned lover if you do this. Don't believe me? Apply for this job.

--> It took my high-school friend TEN YEARS to get hired full-time.

No one is your friend, **especially not management (supervisors). Trust no one, not even the Union steward; and while you're "sort of" protected by the union as a casual, you're not fully protected until you've completed 480 hours, and that could take ... six months, if not more.

During my second week, when I was shadowing, the carrier who was supposed to shadow me called in sick both days. Coincidentally he showed up the rest of the week. I think not. I was instead sent out with an RLC (relief letter carrier w zero f's to give), who basically left me for dead:
  more... "here's the mail for [geo-location], go deliver it and me at [geo-location]".

Routes distances are supposed to be at most 22km. Not a chance, unless you know *every single short-cut for the route you're doing (and until you're full-time AND have a full-time route, good luck). I tracked all of my days. When I did 3 portions (each route is divided into 1.75 hr sections, called portions), I was walking about 30km/day.

Even if/when they hire you full-time, you still will not have your own route.

Management won't help you. I called in one day because the carrier from point 2) didn't give me a tie-out sheet, and had asked for help (Where am I going? Where are the relay boxes? Do you have [carrier's] phone number?). The supervisor I spoke with said 1) she was too busy; 2) didn't have his number; and 3) when I was written up for a sleep-over (mail left in a relay box overnight), she claimed she had NO recollection our of phone call. See my point about who your friends are (no one). Also, when I was called next for work -- FOUR DAYS LATER, how do I know I left the mail in the relay box? I *should have been called the next day.

Management is passive-aggressive. God forbid you're not available, because they **will (try to) treat you like you're 12 years old.

The Attitude of Full-time Letter Carriers sucks; and most are hoping for a slip/fall/work-place injury. If you don't think every single CPC employee is looking for an easy way out, you're dead wrong (perhaps there's 1% who genuinely enjoy their work, but I didn't meet anyone who falls into this percentile). The depot I worked at (Fredericton) was toxic to say the least.

I was desperate for work when CPC hired me; and thought I'd hit it big. However, life is too short to be burdened with what the job entails. If you're 24 years old, and have no problems walking ~30km/day in ANY type of condition, until 8pm at night (because you will be out well passed dark), by all means apply to work for the Canada Post Corporation.
Pros
Cons
everything
Just a short seasonal work time
Mail Sorter for Chritmas. (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC31 December 2018
Only worked those two Christmas rush times so can't really note anything and a mail carrier I always wanted to be to much computer work and they as checking on occasion it reads that they expect you to use your own vehicle as they will give you so much gas allowance.
Pros
Fair wages
Cons
Only part time
Horrible
Seasonal employment as a Temporary Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver British Columbia31 December 2018
I worked at Canada Post while the Vancouver School Board was on Strike, I tried to make it work. With all the new changes at the time, the long term staff were not very friendly to contract staff. Management was horrible and in a uproar.
delivering mail
Mail courier (Current Employee) –  British Columbia28 December 2018
Very challenging environment, time is always against you. Always a lot to do, and never enough time to execute. really involved with the community and its people. engaging in conversations, concerns, are always challenging because it was always different.
Pros
interacting with different people and ethnicity
Cons
time always against you
Interconnected workplace
Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 December 2018
When you're lucky enough to work on projects that draw on the skills of more than one team or department, there is a lot of opportunity to network within the company and learn things you never would, otherwise.
Environnement
Facteur (Former Employee) –  Oka, QC21 December 2018
Bonne environnement de travail professionnel et personnel.
Pros
Salaire et avantages sociaux
Cons
Quand la température est mauvaise
Generally a good place to work
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 December 2018
Training for some things could have been better.
But overall a good place to work.
Performed different duties for 29 years.
Clerk, Mail Handler, Letter carrier.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Some Supervisors where unpopular
Enjoy the job
Retail Postal Clerk/Peer Mentor Trainer (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC18 December 2018
Enjoy the job but no room for advancement or benefits for me. Would recommend this job to others if I thought this would suit their needs. Worth looking into.
Volume Counter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 December 2018
It was very good place to work. But the only problem about the position I was doing that it was only a temporary contract. So I would work every some months for only a two week contract. It was a really good job just it was only temporary position.
Ok place to work. Hugh turnover in management made difficult
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON18 December 2018
See above summary. very stressful. good to be outside in nice weather. Each day slightly different according to volumes of mail and weather. Most co-workers very helpful.
Pros
Good pay for education required. outside in nice weather
Cons
long hours. battle to get overtime pay
Complicated
Letter Carrier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON17 December 2018
I went through every stage of the employment process, just needed to be given training, and then they stopped replying. I spent 2 weeks doing the physical test, GAT test, fingerprinting...etc and then they stopped communication, I sent 3 emails afterwards, and called twice to a work and personal line and still got no answers.
Benefits
Fun workplace
Letter Carrier (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON15 December 2018
First time I worked a casual position, it allowed me to organize my life around it. Very versatile working environment. Being a letter carrier is a physically demanding job especially in poor weather conditions, great job to keep you in shape though.
Pros
Casual Call ins.
Cons
More call ins during poor weather conditions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canada Post. Our community is ready to answer.