Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation Employee Reviews

I found the work environment under new management (Accenture) very unstable
Senior Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 January 2019
Ever since Accenture took over CMHC the turn over has sky rocketed.

There is NO one working there currently who joined there as part of Original Team.
Summary Review
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa30 October 2018
Since my work is confidential i wont be ale to give any summary. Rest its nice to work here but for sometime. You learn and move to different roles in the market
Laidback Workplace
Program Coordinator / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 October 2018
Laidback workplace located close to highway for easy commuting outside of Toronto. Vibrant staff, friendly atmosphere, good compensation and benefits plan.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 August 2018
A company that wants to be greater but with lots of growing and cultural changes to go. Goals and wanting to have a positive impact for Canadians is evident, but there remains a culture divided between implementing needed changes in an efficient manner and high resistance to change. Some of this is due to communication challenges and a global understanding of direction beyond mission and vision. The benefits are great and the overall compensation package is competitive - though there is a majority that focus solely on cash remuneration and have a "grass is greener" view. There is a gratification of knowing you contributing to society but frustration over continued bureaucracy and still not enough focus on clients.
Pros
Benefits, good vacation, moving towards a "Results Oriented Workplace"
Cons
Frustration from not enough focus on clients, too much internal analysis and reporting
Fun place to work along with great people to work with
Residential Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 May 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed my job as a residential underwriter. Enjoyed working with my fellow team members who were always there to support each other when needed.
Mixed Review
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 April 2018
Significant changes to the organization since 2014, not necessarily for the benefit of all employees, but definitely for the benefit to managers and senior staff. No tangible results or improvements to note for the average worker, some examples are:

- CMHC in Motion resulted in loss of approximately 350 employees
- Reduction in pension plan benefits effective Jan 1, 2018 resulted in a significant loss of corporate knowledge as a number of long term employees retired or resigned.
- Career Framework, recently introduced and promoted as beneficial to employees and their individual career path, turned out to be a euphemism as a means for significantly cutting salaries for all but those classified as management.
Pros
Work life balance good
Cons
Very political environment.
Undergoing Constant Change
Manager, Finance Shared Services (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 March 2018
CMHC is a great place to work as long as you are flexible and ready to change job functions at a moment's notice.

Pace of change is very fast, and deadlines are often unrealistic, meaning that senior managers are hired and fired regularly.

The work makes a difference to a large number of Canadians, which makes the CMHC a rewarding place to work if you are resilient and flexible.
Pros
Salaries are very competitive
Cons
Long Hours, little recognition
The best place to work you could hope for
Loans Administration Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 February 2018
Worked there for 10 years and loved it all; right from management on down it was a top class work place. Everyone was treated equally and given opportunities to learn and promote themselves as they wished. A wonderful work environment, created to allow employees to work under the best of conditions.
Pros
Learning opportunities, travel, meeting new people all over the country, sharing ideas, and feeling like a complete part of it all; actually like being part of a family.
Cons
none I can think of.
good
Administrator Assistant-Reception (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 November 2017
I just work for my coop at school finish school finsh work no more to say and i was looking for full time job i dont have more to said about it is s good company
Pros
tired
Cons
change
Travel to complete initial client interviews
Social Housing Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL12 October 2017
Role involved travelling within Nfld to complete initial client interviews for eligibility for financial assistance from Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program.
Pros
Client contacts
Cons
Extensive travel
Middle Management is an obstacle for career progress and overall growth
PRODUCTION SUPPORT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 September 2017
Middle Management is an obstacle for career progress and overall growth - My review relates to the IT department. I have had close to no exposure to other departments.
Good place to Learn the corporate lifestyle.
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 September 2017
It was a good place to learn how the corporate lifestyle is towards software development.

it helps us learn if it is something we enjoy or not, how to deal with it and how to detach our self from decisions that CEOs take even if, to our point of view, they are shortsighted.

it was an enlightening time, albeit short, and a very pleasant one. The people, the work and challenges were all opportunity to shine.

Sadly, by my own experience, I rarely saw opportunity to advance even if I was rated above the requirements of my postings in multiple reviews.
Pros
the people, the things you learn, the guidance of the senior in my field of work.
Cons
heavily corporated way of doing things
Productive work place going through a Technology Transformation
Enterprise Technology Architect (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 August 2016
A crown Corporation doing good work with a solid mission statement " The Heart of a World-Leading Housing System". An organization of hard working people who are dedicated to their work. Overall a good corporate culture although from a Technology perspective they are going through a modernization transformation which will be a challenge. Great work location Great people.
Pros
Flexible work hours, good pay & performance bonuses
Cons
Limited opportunity in IT due to transformation to an outsource IT service provider
Productive, challenging, fulfilling, learned many new things
Technology Platform Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 February 2016
A typical day at work would consist of meeting with the Manager of the Technology Division, where we would discuss the days activities required.

I learned many new things in this role, most specifically how to write proposals, statements of work, project charters and project management.

My manager was an outstanding individual whom I respected immensely and loved how he was not a micro manager and he let me move at my own pace, and where he was approachable should I get stuck on any particular deliverable.

The majority of my co-workers were outstanding to work with, A very friendly environment, as in the past I had worked many consulting gigs with CMHC, it was great to say "Hi" to all the familiar faces from the past.

The hardest part of my job was to try to win over employees I had worked with in the past, as I returned at a much higher level of employee as they were currently. These people were much more difficult to work with as they were never very co-operative when I required information or work of them.

The most enjoyable part of this job was that I had my own office, got to be the right hand of the Manager of the Technology Division, was not micromanaged, and always had the full support of my Director as well as the manager, in that they respected my work and often praised me for doing such good work.
Pros
Cafeteria had excellent food
Cons
Long hours, with plenty of overtime required to complete deliverable on time and within budget.
Good pay and benefits for small intelectual challenge
analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC16 December 2015
The challenge in the job was to find useful work to do and to find work on a regular basis.

The nice part of my job was to go to the cafeteria and gym during the day.

Team work was a bit of nightmare every time.

Management was from the school of MICRO-management.

I learned to keep my personal opinions for myself and SMILE all the time! :D

A typical day consisted most of the time on avoiding FALLING asleep on top of keyboard.
Variety of work in a necessary social and financial atmosphere.
Technical Resource Officer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver27 August 2015
Good place for trained professionals.Creative work environment with a healthy management succession program.The corp did not support the continuation of satelite offices or work at home environment. Often their policies differed as the upper management (CEO level) changed over the years.The most difficult part of the job was not bringing home with you the obvious trouble of the clients they were serving. The best part of the job were the co-workers, team environment and ablility to actually change peoples lives by appying the programs available.
Productive and fun workplace
Regional Business Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary3 March 2015
A dynamic and divers work environment where I could successfully apply and develop my skills and knowledge within a hard working and friendly team
Productive and exciting workplace environment.
Senior Advisor, Aboriginal Capacity Development (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 January 2015
16 years with CMHC have been a very rewarding experience in being able to build current skill sets and develop new ones. The corporation is very supportive in providing professional development and opportunities to explore different options within the organization.
Excellent place to work for job work/life balance
Finance Officer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 January 2015
A good place to work for work/life balance and (up to now) good job security and pension package. Centralization and company restructuring has led to recent layoffs.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
Lack of growth opportunities in regions outside National Office in Ottawa, On
Fun workplace
Bilingual Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheppard and Yonge7 October 2014
Comfortable place to work
I did mail room work and learned a lot