Canada Life Assurance Company

Cooperative colleagues

Learning environments

Flexible and relaxed timing

Team work

Learn new tools and technologies
Have been working for the company for over 15 years now. It drastically changed in the wrong direction. Their new name and the business centralization caused many professionals to stay with no work. The called "voluntary" early retirements, the job role closures, the performance reviews on certain not in favour employees have been conducted since 2017 with the purpose to save capital and hire new individuals at lower salaries. The turnover in this company is the highest among the insurance sectors. The labour exploitation is unspeakable and no union to protect the worker. If you complain, you are to be stagmatised and blamed and accused in allegations. Have seen examples of many human humiliations over individuals. They just choose to leave and not fight a lost battle with a company like this where HR covers up the wrongdoing. The benefit plan is the only good factor left but the human health is more important. I was diagnosed with a condition due to the stress and workload that eventually harm you. Will change careers to safe my personal balance and life. I regret because the company is my home for years. I have witnessed abuse on ppl to manage over the normal rate of caseload to the point when one of the colleagues had to go in medical leave. This caseload is now managed by 2 colleagues because it is the way to fix the managers' mistake. But it caused this person's health because managers did never listen or wanted to accept the feedback or care for their worker's health. Favouritism is monstrous in the office. I hope one day the company to be reborn in what it used to be. - more...
Pros
the benefit plan
Cons
work norm, caseload cannot fit work hours, long hours, unhealthy workplace
In the 12 years working for this company there was real help to move people off the bottom floor into advanced or better positions. The pay for those at the bottom is $5-6 per hour less than the competition. They also ended up micromanaging everything we did because all they could look for was to cut jobs down the bottom instead of looking at CEO pay or the number of managers to run one department. Look elsewhere like Blue Cross or Wawanesa Insurance if you want a starting position in this industry!
Le seul point positif de cette compagnie est les avantages sociaux qui viennent avec. Autrement, j'ai trouvé qu'il s'agissait d'un environnement de travail néfaste avec une pensée militaire (assis-toi et tais-toi). L'évolution de carrière y est très difficile. Dans certains cas, des personnes ont eu le loisir d'évoluer, mais se sont faits ramener à leur poste initial de manière «temporaire, mais indéterminé».

Beaucoup de pression est mise sur les employés au niveau du rendement, mais le nombre d'employés est insuffisant. L'accommodation travail/vie personnelle est presque inexistant. Les rares personnes qui ont réussis à recevoir un accommodement ont dû remplir des formulaires et attendre plusieurs mois avant de se accommoder, et ce, pour des raisons médicales.

Un syndicat a même été formé au soin de l'entreprise suite à des comportements rigides provenant de la direction de la dite équipe. Au final, ils ont tous été mis dehors parce qu'ils «nuisaient» à l'image de l'entreprise.

Selon moi, cette entreprise a un double discours. Ils disent à qui veut l'entendre qu'ils traitent bien leurs employés, mais les faits sont autre. Durant le laps de temps pour lequel j'ai travaillé pour cette compagnie, j'ai pu apercevoir un gros roulement au niveau des salariés. Rare sont ceux qui restent longtemps et j'ai rapidement compris pourquoi.

Bref, je ne vous recommande pas de travailler pour cette compagnie.
Pros
Avantages sociaux
Cons
Courtes pauses, ambiance militaire, manque de personnel, pression constante, aucun accommodement vie personnelle/travail
Canada Life Assurance Company, or, simply, Canada Life, is a life insurance company. The brand is the product of the 2020 merger of the Great-West Life Assurance, Canada Life Financial, and London Life Insurance companies. Its headquarters are in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Joined London Life when it was still London Life in 1987, then we bought Prudential around 1996. Culture changed a bit then. Around 2000 Great West Life bought London Life and then again, company culture changed a bit. Later on Canada Life came aboard and another cultural change happened, but it was certainly not monotonous
16 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We really appreciate you highlighting your positive experience at work!
I cannot think of a better company to work for, is a great space for advancement. I learned so much the two years that I worked for the company, I actually regret leaving the company.
1 June 2020
A very great place to be and great team members as well as awesome leaders.

Canada Life is a place you would love to reture as everyone in the company looks after each other's success
26 May 2020
I had some good and bad days as enrolment processor. It was a stressful job and a lot was required of me. I didn't agree with the productivity reports done every month. I think this just created stress on a person.
Pros
stressful job with reports being printed every month
Cons
employee activities
12 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. At Canada Life we encourage all of our employees to speak directly with their leaders on working together to ensure the job demands and expectations are realistic and manageable, and allow for greater understanding of reporting tools and systems to improve our deliverables and customer service.
some days are relaxed, some days are fast-paced.
enjoyable

team activities and events.

scanning, data entry, handling of mail.

well-blended teams from different culture backgrounds.
11 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We really appreciate you highlighting your positive experience at work.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Canada Life Assurance Company?
As everyone does in their job from time to time, I have had days that I didn't like my job very much. But, since everything with Covid has been going on, I have discovered that I work for an AMAZING company that is proactive and not reactive! I just assumed that all companies were being supportive and on top of things when it came to safety and working from home. Sadly, I have learned that is not always the case. Canada Life has been so great that they now have me as an employee for life. I can't say enough good things about how our top management has handled this situation. Employees have been provided with tons of communication, support from our direct leaders, flexibility with work/life balance, new technology and processes to support working from home and complete understanding when we have a bad day. I have to say I'm really proud to work for Canada Life!
11 May 2020
I worked for this company for over 6 years and it wasn’t terrible at first. There was advancement, appreciation, and even fair compensation. After the office went under new management, everything went downhill. The regional manager and all higher up managers care about one thing - money. They don’t care about their staffs health and their workload. One team alone went through approximately 12 staff members or more in a single year They didn’t pay enough for the amount of work that is expected of each employee Then they hire managers who have no idea how to manage and run teams into the ground. I’m so glad I left!
20 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Work-life balance throughout the organization is important to us. A strong culture that’s employee-focused is our priority. We are committed to creating a workplace environment that’s collaborative, engaging and fun for all. As we continue to evolve and reassess talent needs across the organization, we will work to better predict staffing needs and ensure all groups are staffed accordingly to meet business priorities.
Supportive people, great work for motivated advisors. If you don't mind working for commission and have a competitive spirit you can do great things there
Good environment and company to work for. Flex hours available. Good benefits. Good training and everyone gets involved. National calls every quarter with peers etc
23 April 2020
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review, we really appreciate it!
Micromanaged with very high quotas and constant nit-picking. Hire several in the fall and tell them we intend to hire everyone on in 12 months. Historically we hire less than 10%. Didn't used to be this way.
24 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. At Canada Life, we’re continuously working on strengthening our employee experience. Improving the experience for our employees should help us adjust to new ways of working and increase motivation and engagement.
Good place to work but undergoing an outsourcing exercise which is ill advised. This is wrecking the moral of long term employees unfortunately. Upper management is bent on doing this with little regard as to how this will negatively affect the company long term. They have outsourced before with poor results and the new management team is determined to reattempt the failed experiment.
5 May 2020
People are at the heart of our company – whether you’re one of our 11,000 employees or the 1 in 3 Canadians who rely on us to support their financial, physical and mental well-being. As we continue to evolve in a rapidly changing industry, our priority is to make necessary changes within the business in order to stay competitive and put our employees and customers first. We’re always looking at new ways to adapt and improve, including exploring new partnerships when it enables a higher level of customer service. Thank you for your review – we appreciate your thoughts
I love working at this company, I have learnt so much and they have provided me with very great opportunities to expand my own skills. I have learned to take inbound calls and taking care of customers' privacy along with helping them in creating online accounts, navigate the customer through their account and assist them to learn more about their benefit. Manage all Tasks under to do and complete list. Highly Satisfactory response to the customer’s problems and queries.
8 April 2020
Their workplace culture is not really hectic, I learnt about teamwork and the hardest part of the job was being able to meet the target for production
8 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We encourage employees to speak directly with your leaders on working together to ensure the job demands and expectations are realistic and manageable and allow for greater interaction and better relationships with stakeholders.
I would recommend anyone to this company.
Taking calls has its busy seasons and it is slow downs. We are currently working from home. Which is great but as any business work from home has its challenges.
8 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we really appreciate it!
Underpaid/ overworked/ favoritism/supporting harassment.
Was great before, undergoing changes and all became crazy. Micro management, unattainable goals, toxic working atmosphere.
Benefits
Cons
Too many
24 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and provide your feedback. At Canada Life, we’re working on strengthening our employee experience. Improving the experience for our employees should help us adjust to new ways of working and increase motivation and engagement.
Modernization in the works, but still a ways to go. Good company and relatively stable with work life balance. Pay is average and benefits are light.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canada Life Assurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.