Canada Computers

Canada Computers Employee Reviews

When I started, employees were assigned their jobs and trained with experienced staff members. In addition to the hourly compensation, there were also a number of opportunities for making extra money via spiffs and commissions on a wide variety of products and services offered. My store had a good number of staff, particularly in the more specialized roles (appliances, CSR/Returns, home theatre, PC components, etc.). Over time, that slowly degraded as some staff left for other opportunities, and they weren't replaced, but instead the existing staff would be expected to cover those roles in addition to their "normal" job. On top of that, most of the commission and spiff opportunities were taken away, leaving us with essentially our base pay. After that, there was much more frequent staff turnover, as there were fewer benefits to entice staff to stay, and the employee quality dropped, as those with the experience and knowledge left for better opportunities, and those who stayed were typically under trained and over worked, or they cared solely about making money regardless of whether it was of benefit to the customer. My biggest issue came with COVID and how inconsistent safety guidelines were being implemented, and with how dismissive they were about my concerns when I brought them to management.
Pros
Coworkers were good, the annual company dinners (pre-Covid) were pretty fun, the fairly regular staff dinners
Cons
Long hours compounded by a long commute, the pay isn't great (particularly as a technician), management
Management is full of incompetent people. HR department essentially doesnt exist. They don't respect their employees. They make it constantly harder to make commissions and they keep their stores understaffed to save money. They'll waste the time of many candidates telling them they show promise only to never call them back.
My job at Canada computers was supposed to be customer service representative. My job was supposed to be doing returns and signing in computers at the repair desk, also helping out the technicians..after about a year I was also expected to be a greeter as well as basically a backup technician... When the techs called in sick I was to run all of the service center myself.My boss was friendly and understanding.. Other things of note after the first year or so I had figured out the job how to do it well even though it was overly demanding of employees and i think there was maybe one or two performance reviews over the almost 3 years i was there.. Was given only a 10 cent raise the entire time i worked thereThe only nice part was the other employees.. They had no one to talk to if you had issues in store with your manager or something to do with your job.. Corporate was impossible to get a hold of.. They didn't have an HR department for the last year and a half I worked.
Cons
Understaffed, overwhelming amount of work at times
employee for many many many years. It is my own fault for not leaving. All I can do now is help other that not to make same mistake I made. Look elsewhere for job. If you come work here especially head office or any head office manager position you'll regret. Your opinion or input doesn't matter even when they ask. To survive, keep your mouth shut, say yes to everything and keep your head down. Or just save years of your life and go elsewhere. It is too late for me. If you come, watch your phone. Personal phone will get hack and information extracted and presented to CEO to view your personal messages to friends and family. Keep your phone lock!Be prepared to be watched the whole time. So many camera here show the level of phycosis the CEO have.One word for this place, TOXIC.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, work life balance
Cons
No such thing as raise, Pay, Politics, unreasonable, so many cameras
Workmates are toxic, talks behind your back, lazy and takes the credit that you work hard for. They also hire incapable employees that doesn’t meet the basic requirements, as long as the employee agrees to a minimum salary they will hire you and if you’re chinese you’ll get all the benefits and more chance of being promoted.
Pros
Easy to get hired
Cons
Toxic, No career advancement, slave camp
I love working at Canada Computers. I end up spending more money on computers than the money I made. My self love different computer gadgets so much. So I had a lot of fun working there and selling different products. No health insurance was a bit of issue for my family. Dealing with customer was lovely and so enjoyable. The management I encounter could have some improvement.
Pros
Products, Easy, Exciement
Cons
No benefit
Supervisor gives you a task then changes ever hour. Relocation of work positions every week which is not nessessary. Workplace culture is poor cannot express own opinion or help the company what so ever. Unfair work environment blames employees for something they DID NOT do such as misplaced components.
Pros
Free lunch Sometimes
Cons
Unfair Work Environment
Head office changes things all the time, for no reason. Little to no communication between HO and stores, and managers and employees. Will NOT make any sort of accommodations for medical issues. Will fire one person for something that others will not get even spoken to. Such a culture of nepetism, both in the stores and at HO. My coworkers were the only positive in the whole day. This was the worst company I had ever worked for, they don't care about their employees.
Pros
Great coworkers.
Cons
Literally everything else.
Great place to work for someone who is looking to build quality skills, being an all around sales rep and a team player. Everyday you are faced with tasks from customers/management to deal with and each time its something new.
Owners has a reputation to forget and revert changes - makes it hard for people to keep up. CO is mature and has amnesia most days - keep a log of events for your benefit before she bites your head off. Be careful who you interact with! It is a Highly toxic environment!
Do not work here, it truly is a joke. Everything is runned so poorly especially in Marketing. Unless, your speak Chinese and you're Asian you will never advance here. I really think that there is a racist culture at this place. It's disgusting. They're disgusting.
Disorganized, high demands, low pay and unstable job security. Top management does not care about your well being. It's all about profit, profit and profit here. You may even be threatened to lose your job if you do not abide by unreasonable requests for the company. Coworkers are nice and caring, especially within your own team but senior leadership made it difficult to work well here. Head office jobs are gradually moving to the Philippines and India in order to cut costs. It is no longer a "Canadian" company. I would not recommend working here unless you want to destroy your health.
Keeping up with the warrant targets was quite challenging but doable with the right attitude. They constantly assess your sales goals every month to make sure you are meeting them.
Pros
Work Culture
Cons
Long Hours
When I was hired, they never mentioned that we has to set up the store. I mean there were no shelves, or anything. For weeks I kept on expecting training for my position. One day for 10 minutes they showed me. On my first shift, no one explained anything to me. I had to keep asking a supervisor to show me how what I didn't know. I have never seen a more poorly run company.
This is a great place to work, the only reason it was ever stressful was due to irate customers or being short staffed; holidays are hectic when you don't have a full staff. Otherwise, the team I've been working with is fantastic.
I learned quite a bit on the job while working here and the people I worked with were more or less pleasant including immediate management. Head office could do with some tweaking with how they do things but overall good job.
I'm not much of a sales person, do I didn't thrive in a commission based environment. Not under the circumstances of the Canada computers I was hired at, which is no longer there anymore anyways
Unprofessional work environment from top down.draconian management practices..none are ever supportive of people.very dramatic environment with decisions based on emotions. sneaky people at the top that don't trust anyone and will behind the scenes track everything you do. apparently cameras and probably tapping into your phone, email, probably gps to check what you're doing. The only reason why some talented people work here is because they' re paid to stay or they just don't have the skills or just so damaged that they can't find a job elsewhere.
Truths are whispered & problems are spoke off loudly that said They are moving all head office jobs to Philippines, India and China just to save a buck & you’re expected to work in 2 time zones, So there is no work life balance also if the CEO is not in no decisions are made no matter how time-consuming or urgent it is. They all speak Chinese & are very low key races so if you can’t speak mandarin you will not last more than three years if so long at head office. every year they have a new hr manager & always looking for hr Generalist & because they report losses when there is profits every 6months there is new accounting staff to ensure no one can follow the paper trail; Good luck to all who apply!
This is a badly run organization with a cheap, short-sighted owner and terrible management; my last store manager was too busy flipping homes for himself than tending to the store that he's being paid to help run. The money was only good because I can sell warranties which provided me good commission but the hourly wage is laughable. Job duties are always changing, going from sales to receiving shipments at the loading dock. Policy changes make absolutely no sense and rarely benefit anybody - not even the company itself. This chain does not have a bright future and staff is very discontent while store managers are incompetent. Head office is a revolving door. Expect it to make more drastic changes to remain profitable and combat unionization. A good part-time job if you need the cash while studying.
Overall experience wasn’t too bad as a sales person there are high expectations of you to sell warranty constantly and increase your targets from month to month so if you have a hard time selling additional add-ons to a product you might not do well with the management here because Selling warranty matters more than selling the actual product itself. With that being said the management and overall culture of the work is really fun I enjoyed every day there except for the days where I would have to be pushed to sell harder
  1. Employee reviews