Canada Cartage System Employee Reviews

Horrible management
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 June 2018
They really don’t care about you or how hard you work your butt off they also take advantage of hard working people. Do not work here waste of time. When it was called Direct Distribution when I worked there last year 2017. Management is only out for themselves and don’t want to hear your concerns ever. I had a few employees struggling with racial issues and they wouldn’t do a thing about it. Unreal no empathy whatsoever. I hope this company goes under they don’t deserve to be running on their lack of morality.
Pros
Cons
Too many to count
28 June 2018

Canada Cartage is an equal opportunity employer and abides by the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Canada Labour Code which prohibits discrimination. We are committed to providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment which include clearly defined processes for the reporting of such instances that are in violation of our Harassment policy. All incidents are investigated and appropriate action is taken. Even though you are not with the company any longer, we would like to hear about your experience through a confidential discussion. Please contact us at employeevoice@canadacartage.com.

Fun
Summer Temp Student (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 June 2018
It was an okay experience. Got to learn some stuff which was really helpful. People were okay and fun to work with l. They providee staff with appropriate equipment.
I love it
Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 May 2018
always busy
taught me to be more organized while working
management is not perfect
organized work place culture
waking up and coming to work like a hustler is hard
getting paid
Worst place to work as a truck driver in edmonton
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 April 2018
Save tourself frustration, stay away of Canada Cartage!

Bottom line truck, for them, the cheaper the better, there’s no fridge in truck, mattresses are really cheap resulting of back ache and waking up few time over night, took three months to get a new one and it was as bad as the old one! Even had a truck without privacy curtain and when i ask to have em the answer was no!

Benefits are a real joke.

Really bad management, managers dont care about driver at all and they dont trust their driver.

They’re slowly becoming big brother, following you everywhere even at home ( cie phone) with the camera in the truck, every little mistake are recorded ( like getting too close of the white line of forgetting to use flasher when changing lane etc )

Mistake on most pay and not easy to have em fix, most of the time they refuse your correction request anyway...

Useless expensive union

And more....

And more....
Pros
I quit!
Cons
Mostly everything
7 May 2018

We are sorry to hear about your impressions of management and the quality of equipment you operated. Canada Cartage invested over $50,000,000 in 2017 in new equipment to ensure our drivers’ have reliable and comfortable trucks to drive. We also work really hard to ensure our employees are happy and feel valued so please contact us at info@canadacartage.com with your contact information. We’d like to learn more about your specific situation.

Company with great culture and friendly people
Billing and Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 April 2018
They have a very agile IT department. Pushes to improve systems and processes. Salary is fair for regular employees. The managers listen and treat people well.
Productive work environment
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON21 April 2018
Very rapid pace work environment. Management is very helpful and respectful. Work place is kept safe and clean. Overall the company itself is a great working environment.
Best Company! Your attitude counts!
AZ Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 April 2018
Canada Cartage is a great Company to work for. You only meet management few minutes a day so no you can't judge them... Work is always there especially since we are unionized! All the drivers are there to help you, should you politely ask them! You work Monday to Friday (weekends off). And yes some days are more challenging like ANY JOBS out there...nothing is perfect!
But after all YOU should be the one who cares and who goes to the mechanic in case you don't feel right about something and YOU can choose if something it's not safe! Just make sure you are doing your job right with great customer service and then Canada Cartage will become even better then most of the people here are crying about. Your attitude is attracting good or bad. It's all about you and you alone.
Pros
benefits hours
Cons
Attitude
not a life-work balanced environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 April 2018
It is a good working environment for new comer, you start with very little responsibilities, responsibilities keep adding up, less incentive,
not a life-work balance workplace.
Dont even try it!!
Cryo Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 April 2018
I can't believe I stay this long with the company but I finally found a better job that threats drivers like professionals. Don't believe their lies this company will treat you like dirt. Asked your self why they are losing drivers every week? Why so many of us keep complaining about this company? If you really have no were to go for work I can understand but for any other reason stay away from this company. I hope this help for any brother professional driver out there.
Pros
None I can think off.
Cons
Management, benefits, lots of hrs with not great pay.
Productivity
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC30 March 2018
.We were very organized to do our job in a timely manager. Our dispatch know very good to handle with the jobs, specially when we were in the rush hours. I learned a lot things in this company, my colleagues were very kind. As a new driver by Canada Cartage, one of my colleague showed me how to back up at the doc when the place is tit. I like the policy of the company. I was also enjoying playing soccer with my colleagues and having sometimes in summer BBQ. We had lot of fun together.
run...run away
Administration (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 March 2018
By far the biggest mistake in my career was in agreeing to join this company. Red flags were everywhere, even during the recruitment process. You want to believe in a leader? Be mentored and coached? Have them be secure enough in their own role to want to help you succeed in yours? Look up to someone as an example of what you want to aspire to? If you've answered YES to any of these questions, then don't work here. Just awful.
Pros
Cons
Poor leadership
11 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your impression of management and leadership at Canada Cartage. As a Top Fleet Employer, we care about our staff and want all of our employees to feel like they can succeed. We would like to learn more about your specific situation so please contact us at info@canadacartage.com with your contact information.

Never know what time you be home
A/Z Driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 March 2018
Worked there for six months at Mississauga location as a tractor trailer driver. Office ppl are helpful and HR are helpful. There are good ppl there but company runs you down with trips that are a joke at times I felt like a garbage truck driver. You never know what time you finish the pay ain't great for what you do. New trucks but everything else is broken. Good luck if your working ltl rude ppl and you ain't going home at least after a 12hr shift. Your paycheck will always be wrong every week.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours low pay depressed employees and employers.
Just meets quality of life standard
Billing & productivity - Logistics Auditor (Current Employee) –  Ajax ON10 March 2018
No standardized review or wage increases. I like that I can work the hours I want, with very little micro-managing for the most part. Also, it's close to home. There are several locations & provinces to choose from also, which is good.

I learned by trial and error, and common sense. I received 4-6 hours of training and was put on night shift. It actually made me better at my job, so I appreciated that aspect. New people now receive about 2-3 weeks of training, so they've improved in that respect.

Workplace is cutthroat, but that is because of the "outsourced" facility environment. I think they could be better.

Workplace culture? Diverse, accepting but also a bit muddled/ confused.

Hardest part of the job is keeping up with the many changes & "try again" implementations.

Most enjoyable is working with what I know. Trucking, truck drivers, carriers and staff. The employees make Canada Cartage what it is today.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
salary, management
not the worst place to work.
Diver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 March 2018
the number one problem with working here is your just a number the company is too big for any personal touches. The equipment is all over the map sometimes very good to very poor and old.
Pros
Reliable stead work
Cons
pay is not keeping up with inflation
don't work here
driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 February 2018
management is the biggest problem here and then the equipment is a close second
management is so tuned into making money that they don't care about anything but making money.
wages are among the worst in the trucking industry and the equipment is very poorly maintained.
the mechanics are good but their hands are tied and can not fix equipment properly without spending money on needed parts
absolutely terrible place to work and would not recommend to anyone I consider a friend
Pros
absolutely nothing
Cons
this company is still operating
9 March 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your impressions of management and the quality of equipment you operated. We have safety standards that consistently rank among the highest in the industry. We would like to investigate your specific situation further so please reach out to us at info@canadacartage.com and provide us with your contact information.

badly run organization
Long Haul Driver (Current Employee) –  BC27 February 2018
Company's policy manual is nothing but advertising.
Safety/Compliance doesn't care and does not return calls.
All trucks are the same; flat land trucks are the same as mountain trucks. No fridges. Cheap trucks. they buy trucks for the budget & not the job. Over last 3 weeks I've been in 8 different trucks due to breakdowns. Rental trucks included. Freightliners are just junk.
Management complains about fuel mileage being high but does nothing to correct it. Seldom take advice from people who know what its about. Takes forever to get anything done; trucks fixed, supplies for truck, etc.
Pretty much cheap right across the board.
Best part of job is meeting the customers and going home.
Such a big company could be run so much better if people just cared more. Change has to come from the top but when they only care for themselves or believe they are doing it right then change will never occur.
Pros
really good benefits
Cons
upper management, trucks, trailers.
9 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are very sorry to hear about your frustration with the quality of equipment that you operated. Canada Cartage invested over $50,000,000 in 2017 in new equipment to ensure our drivers’ have reliable and comfortable trucks to drive. However, we are always looking to do better and would like to learn more about your specific situation so please contact us at info@canadacartage.com.

Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 February 2018
Left out high and dry
Driver (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 February 2018
So because there unionized drivers have a clause in there contract that if agency drivers are not hired after 90 days there just pushed out. So with no notice or warning we're out of a job in the slow season for all company's, but on a positive note there drivers that complain on a daily basis still have a job while there more dedicated agency driver are left out.
Pros
Dispatch always have a positive attitude.
Cons
Union drivers will always remind you that your job is temporary.
it's a job.
Class One Driver (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC2 February 2018
Average gig. Had a broken drivers seat for 7 months, with no air ride the days were very hard on my back. You get a uniform allowance and can buy what you need from the store.
Pros
Christmas cards
Cons
no raises in 6 years
8 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We take truck maintenance and driver health & safety matters very seriously. As a Top Fleet Employer, we care about our staff and want all of our employees to feel taken care of. Canada Cartage would like to learn more about your specific situation so please contact us at info@canadacartage.com with your contact information.

fun workplace
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 January 2018
People are great. Everyone is helpful.
Overall great place to work. Meeting new faces all the time.
The employees are very friendly here.
Eat out together often
Pros
no overtime
Cons
Dirty building

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canada Cartage System. Our community is ready to answer.