Canada Brokerlink Inc.

Canada Brokerlink Inc. Employee Reviews

Canada25 reviews
Prefer not to comment
Prefer no to comment, so many changes since I last worked there. It was great in the beginning then well not so good with the changes. I miss my some of my co workers but not the politics
Worst experience I have had with a brokerage
I have worked in quite a few brokerages and this is by far my worst experience. We were bought out by Brokerlink and not a single thing improved, in fact it is far worse. Benefits are no where near what we had, especially mental health coverage. It's clear by the way they treat their employees that they do not value their needs. Management was unconcerned with employee concerns or life/work balance which they claim is one of their biggest features for staff. Micromanaged, pay is low, unattainable bonus structure.
Pros
I have yet to find one
Cons
The benefits, the pay, the management
Poor place to work
Many of the employees are great! Management though does not care and are very disorganized. Management is an old boys type club.

Much i managed from Toronto and they have no clue about out west. I was there for 3 years and met my manager once. We were to have weekly one on one phone calls which happened maybe a dozen times in 3 years.
Workload is stressful, micro management a serious problem.
Do not expect cost of living increases in salary, or working your way up the ladder. Management won't let you get ahead. Benefits are okay, but team atmosphere is awful.
Great working hours and vacation time
- Big brokerage office with huge clientele so expect to be on the phone most of your day.
- Starting vacation time is 3 weeks + 3 personal days

- Training is tailored to each individual

- Great benefits with rrsp matching program and espp, industry average for salary
Unprofessional Management, Favoritism, Lack of stability
I think this company is pathetic. The management have no discretion and they gossip about staff and its unprofessional. There is also no job security, as they will let go of anyone that doesnt fit into their cult. Sadly. that means anyone with an actual brain has to go. Most of the staff are very average in IQ. lol.
Glad I left
Overall terrible work experience for me. Very toxic environment as other people have mentioned.
Pros
Sick days
Cons
Management, coworkers, workload, pay, recognition
TOXIC Workplace
I would never recommend anyone work for Brokerlink. Its like a giant highschool and even management gossips. They also let people go for no reason quite frequently, so there is no job security. For example, in the department I worked in, everyone sat and ate together everyday, told on each other and backstabbed each other constantly. My manager even discussed my personal life with several employees outside of work hours and played favorites. I don't have anything nice to say about this company, other than its pretty much a cult. Stay away at all costs.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Gossip, backstabbing, high-school environment, no privacy
Find a Brokerage that isn't owned by Intact Financial
Worst work environment in the industry.

Overworked, underpaid, extremely stressful, below average management. Individuals in leadership positions that have absolutely no skills to be considered the definition of a "leader".

Micromanaged to the point you almost need to need to account for relief breaks.

The true leaders are on the front line, they take the brunt of the daily expectations and are under appreciated and evaluated time after time.

If you enjoy being held under a microscope, micro managed and under stress every day, this is the place.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Management, lack of qualified leadership and environment
Excellent company, good benefits
Brokerlink is one of the largest brokerages in Canada, therefore is a challenging and fast pace environment, they have a great culture and, try to maintain work life balance all the time.
Great colleagues - just about it
Try to avoid that company. You will be very badly overworked and underpaid. There were some fantastic people there but they were and are being forced out. NEVER believe in what the managers say about their willingness to listen to you. In the end you will be on the losing end.
Pros
Great colleagues
Cons
Mico- and crisis management
Three sister working together -toxic environment
The Director of Operation, whose office was located in Edmonton, had two sisters working as direct reports. That created a toxic environment for anyone who challenged any of her sisters.
She has since left the company, but the senior executive team had left this going for so long that we experience a high staff turnover.

The Edmonton office also had little room for work/life balance,

As for me, things were great as a facilitator until my layoff in November 2009.
Pros
Fun teaching environment, great facility and well equipped.
Cons
Inflexible hours, not much freedom for work/life balance.
Good company, pay below average
One of the principals Brokerlink prides itself on is paying "market" salaries. This doesn't happen. If you work for a brokerage acquired by Brokerlink be prepared to go without a pay increase for nearly two years depending on the acquisition date because they do increases in April and if your brokerage is acquired in the fall they'll skip you the first April.

They do create and promote a supportive culture which is very much appreciated. Good benefits - health, dental, life insurance, STD and perks like volunteer days.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low pay
This is an amazing company to work for. Having worked for many other brokerages, this one is next level. The compensation is great - good base salary plus the opportunity to make significantly more with the bonus programs. The benefits are amazing and there are different options available to you depending on what you need. The paid time off policy is the best I've ever seen! Everyone is really friendly, and the offices still have a small, warm feel. There is a lot of opportunity for movement, especially within the GTA.
Pros
Benefits, compensation and paid time off
Wonderful
Nice company very supportive and patient on training. Managers were very understanding.
I will work therw again.

Compensation was good as well.

There was reward for hard work.
Worst management ever
Some of the Calgary office are extremely toxic, Do your reach before taking the job offer.

This company is NOT heading in the right direction. People turnover is just too much, no stability and hard to say what's going to happen tomorrow.

Extreme micromanagement ,I felt that my branch was poorly managed and our manager made a point to let us know a few times that we were all replaceable. It was the utmost stereotype of women unable to work together. I felt that some of that tension stemmed from management pitting "team members" against each other.

There was also a lot of unrealistic expectations, like one under staffed office doing two offices work load.

Previous employees were continuously blamed for current problems.
Pros
Vacation, average benefit
Cons
Poor management, Toxic and unfriendly office environment, high turnover, no stability
Good Company to Work for
The salary is competitive for the industry. The benefits are good and PTO is generous. Very good with training and furthering education. Specific workflows which help keep everything structured and the work environment organized.
Entry Level Job for insurance industry
Fair company benefits, heave workload
Communicate with clients and insurance company UW every day

If you have your own book, need to take are of it by doing a lot of CAREs to keep high retention ratios.
Fantastic place to work, with great compensation and benefits, and opportunities for the driven
Fast paced, increasing workload for the driven. As an insurance brokerage, they are excellently technologically advanced with a strong focus on growth. Day to day can be stressful, but very rewarding and fulfilling. Compensation is competitive, bonus opportunity is great, fantastic benefits.

Professional development highly encouraged and great management.

I'd highly recommend this to a broker, who wants to work.
Pros
Great benefits, opportunities, fulfilling work
Cons
Can be a tough workload for inexperienced and inefficient
Satisfactory working environment.
Satisfactory working environment. Company could provide better training for new employees. Overall, I would rate it as average at best and would be comfortable recommending it to someone looking to gain experience in the insurance industry.
Engaging, fast-paced work environment
A typical day involved anywhere from 20 to 60 incoming calls plus any transfers or direct line calls, answering emails, making sure leads were being followed up on within 2 minutes of receiving them in our inbox and helping teammates.
I learned some new time management techniques in order to be working on and completing multiple tasks and activities at a time.

Management was supportive and very goal-oriented. This gave each day very clear structure of what was expected.

My coworkers were great, everyone was very willing to help each other out. Especially those on the Rapid Response team - which I was a part of. We would collaborate and create new plans to continue improving our sales numbers and breaking more records.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of advancement opportunity. I have a desire to succeed, excel and improve myself so I can become an irreplaceable asset to a company that wants the best for me.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people - both customers and coworkers. The atmosphere was always upbeat and unified.
Pros
Employee appreciation, staff functions, benefits, commissions and bonuses
Cons
Lack of opportunity
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canada Brokerlink Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9