Canada Bread Pay & Benefits reviews

Human Resources are VERY racist
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Montreal18 December 2018
Worked at the Viau factory for almost 4 years and it was ok.
French supervisors and especially the 20 year-old “big-shot” Human Resources girls think they are the owners! I’ve noticed that all the ethnic employees ex: latinos, arabs, blacks, Asian, Italian, are treated differently than the French Canadians. If you’re not “quebecois” don’t bother trying to advance here. It’s very obvious here that even the anglos are frowned down upon.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Night shifts take a toll on you and HR gives preferential treatment to the “quebecois” employees
Very productive Work area
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL6 November 2018
I had a great 6 years with Canada Bread , great wages and benefits, the days went by quick and it was very busy always kept me on my feet. I enjoyed working there .
productive
Lots of room to grow
Great leadership
Healthy and balance environment
paid ok
fun activities from time to time
Pros
free lunch
either 8 hours or 56 a week.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC9 September 2018
I was hired for a part time position, and it was quickly made clear that part time wasn't an option. either you are doing one shift a week or you are doing full time and overtime. Over time is offered to full time employees before on call employees are given a shift.
in my first weeks I was told I wouldn't get trained if I wasn't working full time.
Now that the summer is over it's nearly impossible to walk into work without hearing from older employees that everyone is going to get fired. the work environment is negative.
benefits are reviewed once yearly, and you need an average of 30+ hrs a week to receive them. Because benefits are reviewed in January if you are hired in December and work 30+ hrs for four weeks you will have benefits for the entire year. BUT if you are hired in February, even if you do 50+ hrs a week you will not have benefits until the year after.

if you manage to get a posting (basically a position with a 3-12month schedule) you will be called to work any time you are not in the factory, then management will tell you that if you miss three call in shifts that they can fire you (they cant).
but even with that said if you want to work here, they hire a whole bunch of people for the night shift every summer, the night shift is then terminated in the fall, and all employees are placed in the "part time pool" or put on-call.
Pros
decent pay, starting 18.22/hr. room to move up.
Cons
long shifts, negative people, poor managment. No part time, not enough postings for the amount of people.
Productive and fun workplace
Warehouse Shipper / Receiver (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 August 2018
Had a good experience work with Canada bread. Good benefits and good salary. Have fun to work with other people a diversity work place. Great job CB..
Pros
A 2 break time paid
Cons
Longs hours
Excellent company to work for
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, New Brunswick16 August 2018
Canada Bread is a good company to work for and the salaries/wages are excellent. I would recommend this as a good company to work for. All associates are treated fairly and management do a great job at letting associates know that they are doing a good job. The company culture really values each and every associate. The most enjoyable part of the job is to see the plant running well with minimal safety issues.The hardest part of the job would be the high heat in the summer months. I have learned and experienced many changes with the company in which has given me so many opportunities of learning new things. I would recommend to anyone interested in working for this company that it is a good place to work for and all associates are valued.
Pros
Paid breaks, lunches and excellent benefits
Cons
working in the summer months heat however the winter months are very comfortable.
Bait and switch
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 June 2018
Hired as a machine operator with a pay of $16.90/hr to start. No other number was discussed. There is training period and during this time my pay was $15.17/hr. I complained but they say it is normal. Went to the union and they said this is wrong and would fight to recover my lost wages. I found another job with higher pay and quit.
Pros
Free bread
Cons
No weekends off and you don’t get two consecutive days off!
it was a great place to work good money good hours also great culture
Labourer (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON12 June 2018
it was a very good job loved the hours like the work a lot was a fun place to work it was good money also but it was organised also it was all around great place to work
Work for this company if you want to get screwed.
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Yorkton, SK19 March 2018
Terrible work life balance and they burn you out and get rid of you with no notice or compensation. Horrible management outdated equipment and they don’t reimburse you for purchases for the company.
Great Place To Work But Expect Unhealthy Schedules
Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 February 2018
I enjoyed working here. You can get along with lots of people here. Above minimum wage salary , lots of benefits , training if you're new is awesome since you will be spending alot of time in one macine, but when you already know a lot of machines they seem to borrow you out during your training to do other machines(training interruptions) . The company is always open to suggestions and comments they dont shy about what you think. I've seen improvement from when I was hired. Theyve learned to study on what or what they can improve on. Its a growing company. What I hate about the company is how they give unhealthy schedules to swing shift people(those who doesn't have a post or regular schedule) You only get a permanent schedule if you win a posting which is usually chosen by seniority. You against the people whove been working here for a long time. You'll have a messy unhealthy schedule when you're new or at the bottom of seniority. They can put you morning noon and night shift in a week, it will mess your sleep if you have a busy schedule at home or you have other activities in your life. Work here if you don't have other things to do since you will be scheduled anytime they want if youre new and dont acquire a posting.
Pros
Free Breads, Lots of Benefits
Cons
Unhealthy Schedule
Not the same company it was
Cash application administrator (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON14 December 2017
disconnect between management and actual work.
Very good for short term work .
Bad for long term
not health work/life balance
allows you to learn how to work under pressure
which a good thing .
Very cheap
Pros
Job security
Cons
everything else
Canada Bread
Full Time Salaried (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 December 2017
Great company to work with from developing skill sets and experience. Work life balance almost none existing.
Culture is becoming more and more controlling since transition of owner ship without offering any decent work life balance.
Pros
Amazing colleagues
Cons
Long hours, less appreciation other than competitive salary & benefits, Leadership lacks firm directions
good salary
Bakery Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 November 2017
made lot of friends, good benifits culture is good but sometimes management makes harsh decisions and dont take considerations but not all, some associates are helpfull and some are not
Friendly environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 October 2017
-If you like change and opportunity, it's fast paced, ever changing and opportunities to become involved in so many projects
-Hard working employees, great communication
Pros
Friendly
Cons
No Benefits
goood company
Inventory management (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 September 2017
I currently work there and this is a very good company. The salary is very good people are fun to work with. I have really nothing bad to say except for the work shift
Fun workplace. Always something new and exciting going on
Master Files Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2017
Good professional environment, acceptable pay and benefits stable job with very good benefits. leader in food safety very strong in market place. Well recognized line of products
Pros
Passionate about doing what's right for the clients
Cons
Challenging to innovate in a low margin environment
fun workplace, friendly environment, good money
Production Worker/Packer (Current Employee) –  4320 80 Ave. SE, Calgary, AB T2C 4N6, Canada24 May 2017
From last six years , l usually kept doing overtime every week. I had got 80 percent medical benefits, but now no medical , because of work shortages. Going only 2-3 days to work. Shift also keeps changing. I'm on temporary layoff. If work comes back like before, I never want to leave it.
Pros
2nd free coffee break
Cons
80/ medical insurance
Free Bread daily
Accounts Receivable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON15 April 2017
you were given lots of free bread, you could have your breakfast at work, because the company offered free coffee. caring Management, very transparent working Environment -
Pros
Flex hours
interesting job, 4 day week is great
Maintenance Millwright/Power Engineer/Machinist (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC21 March 2017
This location has a very poor culture...no accountability on production employees, middle management with zero experience in the core functions, an archaic Union contract that handcuffs the company resulting in excess production costs which all threaten the future viability of the business. Most Supervisors have little knowledge or integrity, specifically in Engineering. The company does little to nothing to encourage teamwork or knowledge sharing except to put up billboards and slogans and hold endless meetings. The company routinely hires people with little to zero experience in key supervisory positions and relies heavily on the long time experienced employees to keep the place functioning with zero positive feedback.
Unfortunately, while the pay, benefits and 4 day week are good, the long term prospects are not good without a significant culture change, investment in production and maintenance machinery and most importantly, an investment in the people.

This is by no means a unique situation...the race to the bottom that we have endured for the last 30 years has fostered the poor management and culture evident.
Pros
smells good, warm in winter, 4 day week, variety of work
Cons
poor culture, no accountability, high unit cost, high waste
Good union position
Production Worker/ Shipping receiving (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL4 March 2017
Good company with a solid union, very physical with alot of hours in the summer. pay is slightly lacking compared to other production facilities, not much room for advancement.
Pros
lots of ot hours
Cons
max pay rate not comparable to other production jobs