Canada Bread Employee Reviews for Production Worker

Human Resources are VERY racist
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Montreal18 December 2018
Worked at the Viau factory for almost 4 years and it was ok.
French supervisors and especially the 20 year-old “big-shot” Human Resources girls think they are the owners! I’ve noticed that all the ethnic employees ex: latinos, arabs, blacks, Asian, Italian, are treated differently than the French Canadians. If you’re not “quebecois” don’t bother trying to advance here. It’s very obvious here that even the anglos are frowned down upon.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Night shifts take a toll on you and HR gives preferential treatment to the “quebecois” employees
either 8 hours or 56 a week.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC9 September 2018
I was hired for a part time position, and it was quickly made clear that part time wasn't an option. either you are doing one shift a week or you are doing full time and overtime. Over time is offered to full time employees before on call employees are given a shift.
in my first weeks I was told I wouldn't get trained if I wasn't working full time.
Now that the summer is over it's nearly impossible to walk into work without hearing from older employees that everyone is going to get fired. the work environment is negative.
benefits are reviewed once yearly, and you need an average of 30+ hrs a week to receive them. Because benefits are reviewed in January if you are hired in December and work 30+ hrs for four weeks you will have benefits for the entire year. BUT if you are hired in February, even if you do 50+ hrs a week you will not have benefits until the year after.

if you manage to get a posting (basically a position with a 3-12month schedule) you will be called to work any time you are not in the factory, then management will tell you that if you miss three call in shifts that they can fire you (they cant).
but even with that said if you want to work here, they hire a whole bunch of people for the night shift every summer, the night shift is then terminated in the fall, and all employees are placed in the "part time pool" or put on-call.
Pros
decent pay, starting 18.22/hr. room to move up.
Cons
long shifts, negative people, poor managment. No part time, not enough postings for the amount of people.
good
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 August 2018
just missing my back home the first day of work

learn about production work

mamagement was helpfull

work place was good

just scared obout the temprature of the product

team work was enjoyable
I love to work with the people
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 October 2017
I am Hardworking, responsible worker over 10 years experience operating variety of machinery and equipment. Ability to carry out sorting, installing, transferring and packing various, materials and objects, physically fit.
Pros
non
Cons
fun workplace, friendly environment, good money
Production Worker/Packer (Current Employee) –  4320 80 Ave. SE, Calgary, AB T2C 4N6, Canada24 May 2017
From last six years , l usually kept doing overtime every week. I had got 80 percent medical benefits, but now no medical , because of work shortages. Going only 2-3 days to work. Shift also keeps changing. I'm on temporary layoff. If work comes back like before, I never want to leave it.
Pros
2nd free coffee break
Cons
80/ medical insurance
Good union position
Production Worker/ Shipping receiving (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL4 March 2017
Good company with a solid union, very physical with alot of hours in the summer. pay is slightly lacking compared to other production facilities, not much room for advancement.
Pros
lots of ot hours
Cons
max pay rate not comparable to other production jobs
Positive Experience
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL4 March 2017
While working at Canada Bread I had a positive experience, learning the process of working on a production line and ensuring a quality product is something I will carry with me for the rest of my career.
Pros
Good Team
Cons
Night Shift Hours
Making that bread
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 September 2016
First job was a good experience, good to learn many things
worked hard and they rewarded more than expected.
Good with hours and changes, management was the best in my case
Productive and good learning experience.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 August 2016
A typical day at work consists of me getting on my slacks and signing in and checking in with the supervisor about your shift. You then go to your station and get caught up with your co-workers about the previous shift so you're aware of everything. Management normally provide us with systems training every month or so, so we're up to date with safety manuals and work environments or with any new additional rules and procedures. Overall I learned a lot about different work procedures by working on both the production area and wrapping area and also by observing how others work from the shipping and sanitation area.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Productive and fun people to work with.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB21 August 2014
Working in a bakery all summer long I learned how to work in the heat. Also drink lots of water. I learned that production and product getting out really depends on the machines and how well they operate. I really liked the people I worked with and most of the management would jump on line to help if needed. The hardest part of the job was getting use to the heat. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendly people I worked with.
I loved working there the supervisor was a really nice man
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ont7 February 2014
Working there was very good you were always busy and the time went by very quickly
Pros
It was a very multicultural wor place
Cons
Rotating shifts
Usually a busy, hard -working day but many friendly employees and staff
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 April 2013
A typical day at work is putting on my uniform, washing my hands, doing my task and making sure it is done well; like packaging, putting items in the oven and lifting objects up to 50lbs. I learned to be more punctual, organized and put more effort in my responsibilities. My management was easy-going and provided very good benefits and salary. The hardest part was getting used to waking up at 4:00am every morning but now i am used to it and it is part of my every day routine. The most enjoyable part was getting to know the people I worked with and having lunch of course.
Pros
many benefits and not a night shift so i can pick up my kids from school at 3:30
Cons
it closed down, some days were very slow