Canada Bread Employee Reviews

Third Party and Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON23 February 2019
Great place to work but Cost cutting and re structures are becoming too frequent. The overall moral and culture in the departments is also slipping due to this.
Pros
Comfortable schedules
Cons
Bakery business is in a decline
environnement agréable
Commis à l'expédition (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 February 2019
• Vérifier les marchandises destinées à l’expédition
• Préparer les paniers de pain
• tenir l'inventaire des marchandises sur ordinateur
Environnement stimulant
Responsable à l'emballage (Former Employee) –  Québec City, QC1 February 2019
Bonne progression salariale.
Assez d'heures de travail
en recherche constante d'employés
Pros
Avantages sociaux, jours de congés, employés syndiqués
I liked my job and would still be there if not for a career ending injury.
Mixed Operator (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB29 January 2019
My work day began at 4:30 am on the mixers. I would prepare ingredients for my first batch of dough to come out at 4:45 am, to start the production day making 9000to10000 loaves of bread per hour.This would continue ubtil production needs for the day were met.
Pros
recieved gift cards on occation for ecceptional work.
Cons
The work was hard and the days could be long.
Great company to work for.
Route Operator (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON29 January 2019
You have to be a fast learner and team player to accomplish the tasks required because you are working in a fast paced environment. Constantly meeting with customers and not running out of mainly items is a full time job.
Human Resources are VERY racist
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Montreal18 December 2018
Worked at the Viau factory for almost 4 years and it was ok.
French supervisors and especially the 20 year-old “big-shot” Human Resources girls think they are the owners! I’ve noticed that all the ethnic employees ex: latinos, arabs, blacks, Asian, Italian, are treated differently than the French Canadians. If you’re not “quebecois” don’t bother trying to advance here. It’s very obvious here that even the anglos are frowned down upon.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Night shifts take a toll on you and HR gives preferential treatment to the “quebecois” employees
Productive fun place to work.
Machine Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB11 December 2018
Was with this company for about 5 years had worked lots of long hot hours with some great co workers and managers. I had some personal issues with life and family so I decided to leave on good terms before my reputation was anymore tarnished.
Pros
good people to work with, and my love for this industry
Cons
Long hours and extremely hot during the summer
Very productive Work area
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL6 November 2018
I had a great 6 years with Canada Bread , great wages and benefits, the days went by quick and it was very busy always kept me on my feet. I enjoyed working there .
It has some ways to go
office support staff (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, BM4 November 2018
Office positions are typical of any office environment. The staff is friendly and helpful. The work environment is very clean and organized. Just about any resource that is needed for work is offered. That said, there is lots of top-down management approach. Leadership at the head office level is problematic. The company hires experts but often they are not heard. The floor is worse. Many staff are unhappy with level of communication, training and fairness. The business was once owned by MapleLeaf and still feels as though that is the case.
Pros
organized workplace. new. clean. multicultural.
Cons
culture. training. safety.
Great team environment!
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT & OFFICE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 October 2018
My typical day was supporting the regional/national sales team and managing the office. I enjoyed this fast-paced environment but my favorite part was working with such a great team.
Pros
Free bread/health/dental
Cons
I lost my job once they down-sized the company nationally.
aucun commentaire
Conseillère en développement des affaires (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC10 October 2018
l'entreprise a été vendu depuis mon départ, aucun commentaire
Pas de vision d'avenir
Coordonnatrice (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC6 October 2018
Budget limité pour les projets. Et pourtant, cela prendrait beaucoup plus d'investissements. Manque de ressources dans beaucoup de départements. Pas de possibilité d'évolution dans l'entreprise, pas de vrai plan de carrière, peu de considération pour ses employés et très peu de reconnaissance.

Le style et la gestion des ressources humaines ressemble à celui des années 80. Il vaut mieux avoir les bonnes personnes dans sa poche pour évoluer. Pas vraiment d'équité salariale non plus.

L'aspect positif était l'horaire flexible de mon emploi.
Pros
Horaire flexible
My resume
SUPERVISEUR EXPÉDITION, RÉCEPTION (Current Employee) –  Québec City, QC27 September 2018
I started to work with Canada Bread 10 years ago at Beauport plant. They appreciated my dedication so they offered me a shipping job at their other plant in Quebec city with better conditions/salary. A few months later, I had a permanent job at the shipping department and I also became president of the Union. The company was using me as a lead hand for their production department until they offered me a salary position, production planner. During the first 2 years of being salaried, I was being sent to other plants to introduce a new manufactuing computer system accross the Canada. Then, they offered me a position of supervisor at the shipping department. In the last year, I was also giving my help to the production side as a production supervisor (35+ employees per shift). I am trying to reach a role of senior supervisor to learn more.
Pros
only 30 mins to lunch, not paid.
Cons
Shift of 8 to 12 hours
productive, organized and friendly work environment
WAREHOUSE CLERK (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON26 September 2018
An okay place to work; decent wages, friendly staff, also helpful and involved management. Most enjoyable part of the job; I'd say working as a team to create a safe and efficient work environment.
Pros
Decent hourly wages, friendly staff
Cons
Poor shipment organization coming out of the city, seasonal for any new staff
We all walk the talk of our values
Senior Talent Attraction Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 September 2018
Great company to work with, people listen to your ideas and treat you with respect. I also like the community and voluntary activities that we participate in.
We are also working very hard towards reducing our carbon imprint.
productive
Lots of room to grow
Great leadership
Healthy and balance environment
paid ok
fun activities from time to time
Pros
free lunch
Ok place to work short time.
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 September 2018
I worked here for maybe a month before I decided I wasn’t going to continue working with people who are always talking poorly about you. I worked as a shipper and the pay was good the work was pretty cool too, the only thing I hated about this job were the people and the hours. Never would you get two days in a row off, sometimes even working up to 8 days in a row without 1 day off. No one shows you what to do properly and they will get mad at you for not understanding them whe They are not speaking English, often times would be made to feel dumb and overal not a good work environment. Very hostile people most with anger issues.
Pros
Free bread
Cons
Terrible people to work with, bad hours
Fast paced production environment
Production worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 September 2018
Mixing dough for bread.
A lot. How operate various industrial bakery machinery.
Very bad big time. Does not care about employees' family lives.
We produce quantity instead of quality.
When you finished a full shift without any machines problem.. Now that is enjoyable
either 8 hours or 56 a week.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC9 September 2018
I was hired for a part time position, and it was quickly made clear that part time wasn't an option. either you are doing one shift a week or you are doing full time and overtime. Over time is offered to full time employees before on call employees are given a shift.
in my first weeks I was told I wouldn't get trained if I wasn't working full time.
Now that the summer is over it's nearly impossible to walk into work without hearing from older employees that everyone is going to get fired. the work environment is negative.
benefits are reviewed once yearly, and you need an average of 30+ hrs a week to receive them. Because benefits are reviewed in January if you are hired in December and work 30+ hrs for four weeks you will have benefits for the entire year. BUT if you are hired in February, even if you do 50+ hrs a week you will not have benefits until the year after.

if you manage to get a posting (basically a position with a 3-12month schedule) you will be called to work any time you are not in the factory, then management will tell you that if you miss three call in shifts that they can fire you (they cant).
but even with that said if you want to work here, they hire a whole bunch of people for the night shift every summer, the night shift is then terminated in the fall, and all employees are placed in the "part time pool" or put on-call.
Pros
decent pay, starting 18.22/hr. room to move up.
Cons
long shifts, negative people, poor managment. No part time, not enough postings for the amount of people.
Extra money PT work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  London, ON7 September 2018
Check codes on bread, Hot Dog and Hamburg bun. Rotate and fill shelves with bread and buns. Face up all bakery shelves. Organize back area ready for next day.