Canad Inns Employee Reviews

started out good but ended bad
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 December 2018
I liked working here as a dishwasher up until I had no other choice but to put in my 2 week notice due to hours being cut that stemmed from a serious medicial issue that I had gotten from work.
My boss gave me attitude when I had a dr's note saying I had to take a week off of work then another 3 days afterwards due to not healing properly.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
too far from home to travel and attitude of fellow coworkers
horrible
server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 December 2018
Canada inns is a horrible place work for, the management only cares for there own they do not care about the little guys,they expect alot out of you with no help. the supervisor in aaltos is very rude, very rude to the servers,

This is aaltos in transcona
Pros
servers are friendly
Cons
horrible hours and horrible managment
Fun place to work. Good people, good job, overally good atmosphere.
Banquet Server and Bartender (Current Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB5 November 2018
They are good people to work for, but their management skills are lacking. Overall, great atmosphere. The customers never leave unsatisfied, which is the most important part.
Pros
$6 buffets
Cons
Management is lacking
Tired of being treated badly at work
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Manitoba15 October 2018
After 2 years worth of hours you reseive benefits. Some have worked for over 2 years and still haven't accumulated enough to get benefits. Some staff members are treated badly by others. Fire Safety procedures not known to most departments. Policies being ignored due to circumstances. Most of the year struggling to find enough staff to keep things running. Sometimes denied breaks in the busiest circumstances (rarely but does happen). Equipment needed to do cleaning tasks always breaking down or in bad repair. Rooms on kids themed floor have bunk beds many have made complaints are unsafe (but to expensive to replace). speaking English isn't necessary for most workers not dealing in customer service ( which is ok until u try to tell ur manager they said something rude in their language. Then your manager will say "we can't prove they said that")
Pros
Very accepting of bilingual workers, 50% staff discount, if staffed can be great work environment
Cons
Inconsistent policy enforcment, worker to worker conflict happens here, long wait for benefits when working part-time
Workplace culture
"Security Manager/Supervisor" (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 October 2018
Great company to accelerate at whatever level one is hoping to achieve. When assigned to a certain position, higher ups rely on us to sail the ship without incident They are always hiring the younger generation allowing them to start gaining work ethic advancing them quicker into the system. Various individuals from all walks of life are welcomed and continue to advance within the ranks.
It totally depends on who your manager is
Bartender/Barback/VLT Cashier (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 May 2018
I've worked at various different canad properties, and it boils down to the location, and who you're working with.

Your manager and coworkers can make your life amazing, or you can regret coming into work everyday. Same as any other company. Some properties have high employee turn over, others the same people have been there since forever.

Corporate is sometimes stupid because they don't have knowledge of how things are run on ground level so they change things with out knowing how it would effect everything.
Worst run organization ever
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 April 2018
They brought in New management. Worst set of ppl I have ever encountered. Done their way or your fired. Even if isn't working. Rules don't apply to managers. They treat employees like they are children.
Pros
Unionized
Cons
Everything else
fun place to work
Banquet Server (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 April 2018
Server and Bartender (Former Employee) – Portage la Prairie, MB – 23 June 2017
Being a server is tough work. But nothing is better than having customers who only come in when your the one working!!

Great people to work with.

"All over the place" hours. Never a set schedule.

One week - Over time hours
Second Week - No hours at all.
Pros
tips
Cons
Wouldn’t want my worst enemy to work here
Manager (Former Employee) –  Manitoba10 April 2018
Worst working environment. Promised things that never happened. Corporate staff are bullies. It’s a work environment not high school. Nothing ever changes.
Pros
Free food
Terrible high ego management
Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 April 2018
Their meal plan aren't equal for every employees, ONLY MANAGERS IN CORPORATE OFFICE CAN HAVE PRIVILEGE . You cannot order to take your food home. You can only have 50% off during working hours, which that time when you couldn't eat because it always gets busy.

Very often, cooks, and buffet servers, dishwashers are degraded.

THEY ALWAYS BRAG ABOUT THEIR "HIGHER POSITION" we got it already.
There's one time a lady approached my co-worker and she literally said, "Oh is there more of this? You that I work at the coorporate office".

There's no sense of motivation.

Aaltos manager/ supervisor/ servers don't follow serving hours.

They used to handout out TIPS, now it is included in our payslip about 2-5 bucks, and its taxable.
Pros
Non
Cons
Super terrible work environment.

Want to know more about Canad Inns?

Ask a question
Aaltos
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB11 March 2018
management for the most part was great. hours were very flexable and worked with my schedule as a student. this was in the portage la prairie location . would recommend. hardest part was dealing with people who were staying here for the flood that happens every year they can be rude people but over all great place.
chill to work.
Working part time Dishwasher and Prep (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 February 2018
Work days are not too bad.

Learned I'm able to understand what needs to be done when working in a kitchen.

Management is too bad.

Easy going work zone.

Not getting enough sleep at times, but other then that haven't had much of a hard time.

Most Enjoyable part is working with everyone in the back of the kitchen, getting to know everyone and working as a team.
Pros
some times
Cons
not yet
Run, you deserve better!
Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 February 2018
Corporate office is a joke, management is a joke, HR is a joke. They treat their staff like garbage, have the worst turn over I've ever seen and allow management to bully and harass staff out of their jobs if they don't like you. I wouldn't recommend employment by Canad Inns to anyone
Pros
Lunch expense
Cons
Poor management, owners who don't care or are clueless, no payoff for hard work
loved helping people
Hospitality Sales/Management (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 October 2017
this job was rewarding in ways from the customers. Management didnt really care about what you were doing for them just that you were there. You could advance however you could not really make any more money
Pros
customer service for people
Cons
No room to make a larger income
Not a Worker friendly environment
Restaurant & VLT Lounge Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 August 2017
Difficult to manage work family life balance with robotic approach towards Human resources..Rules been flouted while clocking employee hours .operational Gap between Middle & top management communication.
Pros
bigger company
Cons
robotic app[roach towards human resources
Very exhausting work for very little pay!
Server and Bartender (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB23 June 2017

Great people to work with.

"All over the place" hours. Never a set schedule.

One week - Over time hours
Second Week - No hours at all.
Pros
Tips and great customers
Cons
Very exhausting work.
Bad management
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 May 2017
I got hired as a room attendant that would work in laundry also. I also got told that I would work weekends SOMETIMES. That ended up not being the case. The manager that hired me was only there 2 times out if the week and did not care about anybody other than the 2 people that were there more than 5 years. I got taken off my evening shift because I was more needed in the rooms. Then they stopped putting me in laundry at all because 2 women were complaining that they weren't getting any hours. Essentially I worked as a room attendant, laundry attendant, and house person. They never had enough people to let people have weekends off, plus putting only one person in laundry while the hotel was busy and penalizing people for not being able to keep up with laundry. The straw that broke the camel's back was a new manager coming in and treating me differently than everybody else. I got stared at, followed around, and even though I was nice to her she never once was nice to me back. After I got a second job I was refused to start my new job, so I left.

Don't work here!!!!!!!! Especially for housekeeping. They push you to work your hardest and more for minimum wage!!!!
Cons
Management, messy hotel
Continues to grow and improve
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 March 2017
- Shows a sincere interest in employees and the solutions to their problems

- Lends support and guidance to employees

- Uses sound coaching techniques to solve disciplinary problems

- Provides continuous coaching

- Is highly respected by employees for sharing concerns, problems, and opportunities
Pros
Free food
Cons
Part time hours
Not Great
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 March 2017
Company continuously tries to go in 'NEW' directions but rarely succeeds. Lets go of staff without notice on a regular basis. Higher management try to trap staff to terminate! Not worth your time!
My typical day at work
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 February 2017
What I've learned is to be respectful to everyone no matter how difficult the situation is or the service and to respect each other opinions and abilities.

I organize my time between prep and orders so I can get as much accomplished.

The hardest part sometimes at my job is to make sure we can get the orders out on time and so the customer does not have to wait too long.

The most enjoyable part of this job is how the team can joke around and laugh with each other and come together when we need to get Service done.