Cana Group of Companies

Cana Group of Companies: 62 Employee Reviews

Canada62 reviews

lotcompanyemployeepeoplehardgoodworkingmanagement

Ended suddenly due to changes in business plan. Enjoyed working with them when I did. They paid well and the LOA was good. Worked in the high voltage side.

20 April 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. As an organization, we undertake a large scale review of our compensation structure annually and strive to pay accordingly.

Overall great place

Everything from the management on site to the group of people you work with is great. Overall great experience and would recommend to others for a place to work.

Insights into Cana Group of Companies

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Energizing work tasks

Horrible company stay away

Dont be amazed by the offer that they will give you, unprofessional people, lots of attitude from top to bott om employee, its better to be hired by a small construction firm.

Pros

Lots of idle time

Cons

Not much hours

Not a positive work environment

Cana has one of the worst work cultures I’ve ever experienced; the office nickle and dimes field employees, charges you for safety glasses, gloves etc, and does everything in their power to to not allow you get ahead financially. They pay the lowest hourly rates and never have any overtime, they also don’t supply any safety gear/clothing. As a PLT apprentice you will NEVER be able to get any transmission or overhead experience, it will strictly be URD and at times they may send you to work in their traffic or Fiber division. The office is full of staff but they do their best to avoid returning voicemails/emails etc. On-site morale is low and most people can’t wait to find a better gig. There are some decent people still there but I think there’s a massive deficiency in the leadership department. I would NOT recommend this company to anyone.

Pros

Local work

Cons

Very Low Morale

Soul sucking

Stay awayThey only care about their profit and the Simpson family legacy. Don’t work for this company unless you’re an unskilled labourer amd have no choice.

Couldn’t pay me to go back to work for rhem

Worst company ever to work for tell you one thing to another would not go back to work for them not for any amount of pain management will lie to you did not provide the tools they said they would

Pros

no pros

Cons

All cons

Good company with easy going people

Easy going company with interesting job locations. Good level of low level to high level carpentry. Good benefits with ample room for movement into management.

20 April 2021

Stay very far away from this company

Working at CANA is a nightmare. Zero support for field staff. Schedules are non existent. They use all their power to get the most from you, while giving you the bare minimum to stay compliant with labor laws. The office staff plays a big game of "not my job" and nobody takes responsibility for their duties. Although things were looking up and some slight changes had happened that gave some light to the future, they closed the doors on a division without any rhyme or reason. If you are a human, who likes to be treated as nothing more than an easily replaceable number, this is the place for you.

20 April 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. In 2020, CANA Energy made the difficult decision to restructure. We are sorry you did not have a good experience with us. CANA conducts annual pulse surveys to understand how we can improve and value all employee feedback.

A company that favors it's seniors over those lower down the chain.

It's a good company given you are with a great project team. Some Project Managers are not qualified to be in that position. They do not possess the skill sets and blame coordinators even though the coordinators would make better PMs than the current PMs. Essentially, Senior management always favors seniors, whether they are right or wrong. Company is not good at spotting talent. They will let go of a talented youngster with a bright and hard working future, in favor of a senior who really has no idea what they are doing.

20 April 2021
We are very sorry to hear your experience with CANA was not a positive one. We consider people our greatest asset and take your feedback very seriously. Thank you for taking the time to post your review and giving us the opportunity to learn and improve.

Professional quality company with years of expertise

CANA was at one time one of the largest general contractors in Western Canada. Unfortunately, they closed their Saskatoon office during the downturn in the economy in the 1980's.

great people to work with

I enjoyed working with all of the different people. Organization could be better, consistency between sites could improve too. Company seems to be getting less busy and more into small jobs and renovations.

10 May 2021

Nice place to work

Cana Utilities is a nice place to work. The company and management support their employees. They focus on the workers ' and their families well-being by providing excellent benefits. It is a safe place to work.

20 April 2021
We greatly appreciate your positive feedback and the time you took to post your review. Thank you for your dedication and work as a member of the CANA team!

Just a job

I would not recommend working for this company to my enemy. The only positive thing i have to say about cana is you work with some decent people in the field. The hours are so sporadic, there's little to no room for advancement regardless how good of a worker you are, almost all the foreman and management are a joke, they will continually feed you peomises of promoting you and giving you a raise just to try to increase their production.

Productive and Fun work place!

The employees are amazing to work with, I've learned a lot while I worked with this company. If I would have the chance to go back to this company I would. Fantastic team players!

A joke

Where to start, upon being hired your fed so much nonsense to get you excited about what an amazing company this is and how everything will be performance based rather then seniority only to get to the field and see its all bs. Little to no room to move up in this position, you have to supply all your own ppe, they want you in full fr year round also not supplied, sporadic work schedule. promises to give you promotions to get you to work harder they have no intention of giving you because the economy doesn't allow it. Overall horrible place to work .

Pros

Paid training

Cons

30-40hr work week. Low wages. Read above

Focused on the future

A family oriented company that is focused on the future. With recent changes in the senior leadership team, CANA is investing in people, training and business opportunities. CANA is a dynamic, fast-paced company with extensive opportunities for those who aren't afraid to step outside their comfort zone. You will be challenged - it's a reality in construction and utilities. Direct access to senior leadership, a vibrant mix of people, competitive pay and benefits, CANA is known for delivering some of Calgary's most iconic buildings.

Pros

Free Parking, New Building, Exciting Face-Paced Work

Cons

Project Demands

Horrible Company

I wouldn’t work here if it was the last job available on the planet. Management will ignore you , low moral, zero training and below average industry wages. I wasted1 year of my career with this under achieving company. What happeneds when the company is given to a snot nosed spoiled kid who hasn’t worked a day in his life.

Pros

Cons

Lots

Excellent Benifits and work schedule

Excellent Foreman willing to teach. Supervisors although having heavy work load were willing to help. Very safety first and wiling to help employees receive all training needed. Salary was very competitive with other companies.

Pros

Overtime

Cons

Long Hours

20 April 2021
We greatly appreciate your positive feedback and the time you took to post your review. Thank you for your dedication while working for CANA!

Wonderful people to work with

There has been many changes at CANA since I worked there. There was wonderful people within the group of companies, that were always willing to help out a fellow team member.

Too bad job ended when it did

Previously was very busy accounting department until economy dropped & there was a lack of work. I enjoyed most of the people I worked with. Supervisor was great but woman who wanted/tried to supervisor when he was away was lacking in professionalism.

Pros

Supervisor, Dave, was great!

Cons

some employees clicky as if in highschool??

Ok company to work for

I was hired as a journeyman carpenter and was promoted to foreman within 3 months. Unfortunately I was never given a pay increase even after asking many times.

Pros

Well paid for journeyman carpenter

20 April 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. As an organization, we have undertake an annual review of our compensation structure and strive to pay accordingly. Work life balance is also something we feel strongly about. We are continuously looking for ways to improve as an employer, your feedback is appreciated.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cana Group of Companies. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement