Cana Group of Companies

Cana Group of Companies Employee Reviews

Canada58 reviews
Ended suddenly due to changes in business plan. Enjoyed working with them when I did. They paid well and the LOA was good. Worked in the high voltage side.
Worst company ever to work for tell you one thing to another would not go back to work for them not for any amount of pain management will lie to you did not provide the tools they said they would
Pros
no pros
Cons
All cons
Easy going company with interesting job locations. Good level of low level to high level carpentry. Good benefits with ample room for movement into management.
Working at CANA is a nightmare. Zero support for field staff. Schedules are non existent. They use all their power to get the most from you, while giving you the bare minimum to stay compliant with labor laws. The office staff plays a big game of "not my job" and nobody takes responsibility for their duties. Although things were looking up and some slight changes had happened that gave some light to the future, they closed the doors on a division without any rhyme or reason. If you are a human, who likes to be treated as nothing more than an easily replaceable number, this is the place for you.
It's a good company given you are with a great project team. Some Project Managers are not qualified to be in that position. They do not possess the skill sets and blame coordinators even though the coordinators would make better PMs than the current PMs. Essentially, Senior management always favors seniors, whether they are right or wrong. Company is not good at spotting talent. They will let go of a talented youngster with a bright and hard working future, in favor of a senior who really has no idea what they are doing.
CANA was at one time one of the largest general contractors in Western Canada. Unfortunately, they closed their Saskatoon office during the downturn in the economy in the 1980's.
I enjoyed working with all of the different people. Organization could be better, consistency between sites could improve too. Company seems to be getting less busy and more into small jobs and renovations.
Cana Utilities is a nice place to work. The company and management support their employees. They focus on the workers ' and their families well-being by providing excellent benefits. It is a safe place to work.
I would not recommend working for this company to my enemy.
The only positive thing i have to say about cana is you work with some decent people in the field.

The hours are so sporadic, there's little to no room for advancement regardless how good of a worker you are, almost all the foreman and management are a joke, they will continually feed you peomises of promoting you and giving you a raise just to try to increase their production.
The employees are amazing to work with, I've learned a lot while I worked with this company. If I would have the chance to go back to this company I would. Fantastic team players!
Where to start, upon being hired your fed so much nonsense to get you excited about what an amazing company this is and how everything will be performance based rather then seniority only to get to the field and see its all bs.
Little to no room to move up in this position, you have to supply all your own ppe, they want you in full fr year round also not supplied, sporadic work schedule. promises to give you promotions to get you to work harder they have no intention of giving you because the economy doesn't allow it. Overall horrible place to work

Pros
Paid training
Cons
30-40hr work week. Low wages. Read above
A family oriented company that is focused on the future. With recent changes in the senior leadership team, CANA is investing in people, training and business opportunities. CANA is a dynamic, fast-paced company with extensive opportunities for those who aren't afraid to step outside their comfort zone. You will be challenged - it's a reality in construction and utilities. Direct access to senior leadership, a vibrant mix of people, competitive pay and benefits, CANA is known for delivering some of Calgary's most iconic buildings.
Pros
Free Parking, New Building, Exciting Face-Paced Work
Cons
Project Demands
I wouldn’t work here if it was the last job available on the planet.
Management will ignore you , low moral, zero training and below average industry wages. I wasted1 year of my career with this under achieving company. What happeneds when the company is given to a snot nosed spoiled kid who hasn’t worked a day in his life.
Pros
Cons
Lots
Excellent Foreman willing to teach. Supervisors although having heavy work load were willing to help. Very safety first and wiling to help employees receive all training needed. Salary was very competitive with other companies.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Long Hours
There has been many changes at CANA since I worked there. There was wonderful people within the group of companies, that were always willing to help out a fellow team member.
Previously was very busy accounting department until economy dropped & there was a lack of work. I enjoyed most of the people I worked with. Supervisor was great but woman who wanted/tried to supervisor when he was away was lacking in professionalism.
Pros
Supervisor, Dave, was great!
Cons
some employees clicky as if in highschool??
I was hired as a journeyman carpenter and was promoted to foreman within 3 months. Unfortunately I was never given a pay increase even after asking many times.
Pros
Well paid for journeyman carpenter
Cons
CANA is full of great people with a lot of years of experience. Excellent company to work with to gain experience with many people who are veterans in the field. The climate is welcoming and the work is rewarding.
Pros
People
Cons
Economy
Ok for the most part, too much short notice on week end work schedules, Lots of freedom to set own delivery schedule but was too often off set by constant last minute schedule changes. I couldn't handle it, but thats on me. We all need to fit where we fit, I just didn't fit, but not for lack of trying. lol
Pros
Some money
Cons
no notice for weekend shifts
CANA pays well, but the job is very unstable with layoffs that seem to happen annually.

Project management is a hit and miss and depending on the skill of the manager could make a project good or a very difficult.

Office staff is friendly and helpful. Field staff moral is always low, and some of them are painful to work with.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
worklife balance, plus company layoffs.
I like working with my crew, and my Forman is awesome. he never pushes you past your limits. and is always willing to help and teach you if you need it.