Campus Living Centres Employee Reviews

Productive place to work
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 August 2018
I worked here at the Barrie location in 2015 in addition to this summer season . I have 7 years cleaning experience including hotel, and am definately worth more than minimum wage. I have never worked somewhere with staff or management like this. Management sits in their office and talks badly about staff , staff / employees steal from co-workers, it can be a very catty and malicious environment all around. Management does not appreciate the cleaning ( or front desk staff ) whatsoever. This season I called MOL on them because they have been stealing all of our tips, and when questioned they said it was a new " Policy". The majority of staff are foreign exchange students comming from a contracted company - no experience and horrible workers.

Management will also have timmies days where they bring doughnuts and coffee and only keep in front office for themselves/ front desk staff . Of a guest leaves something for housekeeping , it is pocketed by the team lead or we aren't even notified.

Comming back to this job as I am transitioning into starting my own business, it has made me 100% more motivated to never work for a company like this again.

On the bright side- I was able to pay my bills. Had I been able to keep my tips , who knows what extra incentive I would have to stay and continue to pick up the slack.

Will never apply here again.

Great job for first time students , management is relaxed with missed days and work like balance if you have outside commitments like school. Had 3 paid sick days as well which I am grateful for.
Pros
Work like balance was flexible with hours
Cons
Low pay / theft / unappreciated by management
Ok place to work
Cleaning Staff (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC10 July 2018
It's very low pay for cleaning staff even with medical and dental package still below average wage for this kind of work and its like a small book as far as paper goes after they hire you to fill out .
Pros
Cons
Wage is way to low
Good job for student
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON17 May 2018
Good job for student and good hours to work with, Never felt like I was under appreciated by any members of management. Teaches one to work well in a team
Decent to start off.
Residence Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON25 April 2018
This is an alright company to start off, you get to connect with people and build meaningful connections. However, for the work you are doing, the pay is way below what it should be. You are not just front desk, you are expected to intervene in emergency situations until an RA or Manager gets there...for minimum wage? No thanks. You may or may not get a good manager. Some managers do not manage, they're unorganized and unprofessional and put a lot of pressure on you in situations. I never felt like they had my back. Some managers are amazing. You are expected to learn as you go, which is extremely stressful given some of the situations I was asked to deal with.
Pros
You could have a great manager, gain experience, great people, build relationships.
Cons
No official training (learn as you go), manager could be horrible, pay is sad.
Easy job, but no on the job training
Community Advisor (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON5 March 2018
This was my first actual job, but unfortunately the management of the company has little emphasis put on supporting the lower rungs of the ladder that actually support the business model than the top. Training is little to none, and as such there is little to no job satisfaction as employees always feel in over their heads. As an employee, the culture is so negative that it is hard to show up to work and want to be there.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
little to no on-the-job training
great company to work for
RECRUITER (CORPORATE) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 February 2018
overall, great company to work for. people are outgoing and friendly which makes the job fun. paid lunches daily which are a bonus, however, limited growth opportunities.
Night Auditor, really a Cleaner
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  King City, ON23 September 2017
All they were looking for was a cleaner and babysitter. Maybe a good start for a beginner but that's all, no real accounting. You get paid min wage + have to pay for parking. Lasted 3 months , enough.
Pros
Cons
cleaning
Lovely staff
Residence Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON10 July 2017
Answering telephones, completing administrative tasks and replying to emails. Management and co-workers were easy to work with.
CSR positions are on a rotating shift schedule.
A great place to start
Community Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 June 2017
You never feel like you're on your own at CLC, if you work well with others this is the place to be, but if you cannot work with others it's a nightmare.
Pros
training, low cost of living, flexible hours, amazing teams, always changing
Cons
You need to have high energy to work well here
Productive and fun
Residence Services Representative (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 May 2017
Nice place to work at, chances to advance and very fun to work. Always stuff to do, learned a lot of things while working at the management office as well as maintenance.
Maintenance Technician Review
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON21 February 2017
Worked at the Oshawa Campus for 3 months and given no reason when let go on the last day of my probation.

The Maintenance Department is ran by an arrogant unprofessional who can't handle his emotions in the work place.The rest of the workplace's employees are all grumpy/sad semi retired folk trying to collect their horrible wage and go home. Buildings are pathetically ran and in horrible condition; bed bugs, faulty electronic doors, out of date suites which they pack with international students like chickens on a farm.

Don't apply here, waste of your time and money. The employees are cold and distant including HR.
Pros
Cons
The Works
Great company to get your foot in the door with
Sales & Conference Manager (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON25 October 2016
Not a lot of room for advancement but they do hire a lot of people looking to start their career. If there were more opportunity for advancement this company would be 5-stars.
Approach with Caution.
Middle Management (Former Employee) –  Various Locations22 August 2016
How this company received one of the "Best Managed Companies" award is beyond me. While this is a ripe opportunity for learning experiences; be careful. Yes I gained valuable knowledge in the field of student experience and housing; but I also gained much more experience in what to NEVER accept from an employer. This includes confidential personal information being disclosed in a gossip type manner (by a very high ranking person), intimidation from a manager, being disciplined because they didn't like my partner and having no tangible behaviour based evidence of decreased work ethic or attitude, unfair hiring practices, and evident wage gaps (new employees with less experience making more than many people who have been there long term and males making more). In addition to this, I have had my own passion and watched many coworkers have their love and passion for a job be crushed.
Yes! There are some amazing people you will meet in this job ranging from coworkers, to student staff to students. They are what makes the jobs with CLC worth it. BUT. There are some key players who overshadow all that good and you will find yourself needing out. NEEDING OUT. RUNNING OUT. If you are not a male and/OR not coined as a favourite, you will have little to no opportunity for advancement.
If you are looking for your first foot in the door, it can be excellent on the job experience. You will see so much, learn so much and gain some excellent professional development opportunities. Use conferences to network, you will need this.
Of the many properties that CLC manages, I would only recommend
  more... two, at most, all due to upper management. You will work long hours which, in student housing, is expected. However, it is rare you will ever get that time back. There are unrealistic workload expectations and general life expectations put on you. Ex. being called into an incident from 1am-4:30am and then being spoken to about not being in the office for an 8:30am weekly update meeting later that morning.

Overall, if you are a young professional looking for your first job out of school in student life, this can be a great start. Use this experience and the networking opportunities to help you move into a role at a post secondary institution that will develop your skills and appreciate all you do.
Pros
Learning Experience, Networking at Conferences
Cons
Non Competitive wages based on industry standards, Poor management, Clear Favouritism
Great Learning Opportunity
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 March 2016
The Horizon Residence was a fun place to work, I found it was really great experience because it was Campus Living Centre's first project in Alberta and they were just starting up. I got to help deal with all the hiccups associated with a new building and found it to be great experience.

Typically I would respond to emails, enter data in spreadsheets, manage customer relationships and go into the community to promote the residence.

It was a small work team and there was only 3 employees working closely together. Management was excellent, but the development company we worked under was unorganized and made things difficult.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with unsatisfied customers on issues that were out of my control. The most enjoyable part of the job was working closely with the team and getting to know the tenants.
Pros
Close work team
Cons
Low pay
Fantastic Student Life Experience
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 February 2016
RA & Night Auditor

RA: Always something new to tackle, and no two properties had the same problems. Learned a lot about patience and tackling difficult problems. Co-workers will always vary, year to year, but my group was great, if a bit divided. Enjoyed being able to help students.

Night Auditor: Worked during hotel season. Liked the hours (graveyard shifts). Would clock in and deal with the last-minute check ins, then have one person run the audit while another did various chores. Would be slow during the 4AM to 6AM period, and could be boring, but good coworkers made it much more fun.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Sometimes boring during calm shifts
Great private company with mid-level opportunities
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 July 2015
For a private company, employees were treated well. Pace of work can be busy, however, nothing to be concerned about. There are opportunities at lower levels if you are willing to relocate. Senior and corporate opportunities will be a lot harder to come by.
Resident Advisor Position
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON9 June 2015
The job position stated the importance of school during the job. Yet, they didn't follow through. I still remember this event- I received a text from my supervisor asking me when I was available. I said after class. And she told me to come in 5 minutes after my class finished. She knows I don't have a car to drive. So how am I suppose to get there on time? Unreasonable? Definitely. There is so much more to touch on but that's one of the several events I will never forget.
In short:
-Supervisor was very unorganized
-Tasks were not clearly stated
-Unprofessional management team
-Work times were not posted until the morning of
Pros:
-Getting to know your students
-Job training in Ottawa (completely different atmosphere then the actual job). Professional and knowledgable.
-Co-workers were enjoyable to work with
Pros
Plenty of Job Experience
Cons
Long Hours & Unorganized, Unprofessional Management Team.
Alright
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2015
I went in to the job with a high expectation. My first real experience was a conference that really pumped everybody up and got everybody excited, however our supervisors made us feel like we were children who couldn't do anything right. The primary focus of the job was to be involved with our communities and make sure that they knew we were a person they could trust with any personal problems (i.e: drug abuse, bullying, assaults, etc.). What the most paid time came from accounted for being "rez police" (breaking up parties, giving warnings, doing Incident Reports, etc). The best part of the job was talking and getting involved with students. The hardest part of the job was when to say no to unsafe or unpaid work. The biggest thing I learned was that I can't solve everyone's problems, I can only help them solve their own problems.
Pros
I lived where my work was
Cons
I lived where my work was
ok
Property Accountant - Contracted Term Work (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON26 April 2015
Ok job, fair pay. Great hours and cool people to work with.
Alright job, good pay. Good hours and great people to work with.
It sounds great but too good to be true
janitorial (Current Employee) –  North Bay Ontario10 February 2015
The general manager plays favorites and bullies his staff. He managed to either fire or force good staff out of a job and keep it from head office. Its an unhealthy work environment and unless your buddies with the manager you will be finished beforer you start.
Pros
Great working with students
Cons
horrible cowardly management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Campus Living Centres. Our community is ready to answer.

Campus Living Centres Reviews by Location