Camosun College

Camosun College Job security & advancement reviews

Clear
3.5Job security & advancement

Great staff, culture, support, benefits. Excellent unions who provide great support.

I enjoyed my position so much, I stayed in it for 27 years. I was very supported as technology changed, and my department grew. Camosun is a great employer for work/life balance (although this may vary a bit by manager), and this definitely helps to offset the average or slightly less than average pay. Understanding your collective agreement goes a long way towards a successful and supported career.

Malpractice

Toxic culture, new hires untenured (called Non-Regular) are treated HORRIBLY. They will use you, wear you out, hold out the hope of job security, not likely to come, in the meantime you will pick up any course they throw at you, unsupervised, work evenings and summers, make a portion of the pay of your Regular colleagues, for the same work, and no benefits or job security.

Pros

Interurban has a great place for lunch.

Cons

Everything else.

Crew is fun management sucks

If you are not a favourite your gonna be stuck in the casual pool , they hire who they like Not a good enviroment to be in the interview process is a sham

Camosun College

Lots of opportunity however very limited movement between CUPE and CCFA. Wages are comparatively lower than other post secondary institutions. Excellent benefits.

benefits

Cons

wages

Great opportunity to work and learn

The job was a great way of learning the same material taught to me in the ICS program by providing and receiving the same material from a different point of view. I was able to help new students comprehend material, and in turn allow me to review and understand the material from a new perspective. I believe that teaching what I learned during my program can definitely enhance the my understanding of the material, Great way to converse with different groups and have a better relationship with my professors.

Pros

work experience, meet new students, and enhance learning

Great Place to Work!

Wonderful, people, environment, students and colleagues. The down side of being a sessional instructor is there is no job security. I would definitely work here full time if the opportunity came up!

Pros

People, autonomy

Cons

No job security

Student Rep

Great place to gain experience while attending school and it gives you the ability to try on diverse experience that might otherwidse take years in careers

Advanced Systems and Technology, dedicated to students and staff, growing and innovative.

Temporary employment but great people and opportunity to learn. Very busy HR office, processing faculty and staff appointment documentation. Opportunities to meet with Managers of other departments on a wide variety of issues.

Pros

Great people

Terrible labour relations

Sadly, a decade of under-funding of public education has gutted this college like so many other institutions in the province. The result includes an administration that is perpetually at war with the unions. The grievances pile to the sky while morale sinks. Teaching excellence is paid lip-service, but there is no accountability other than in the counting of beans to balance budgets. Students deserve far better. Tone deaf administration confuses an archaic and authoritarian management style with progressive and creative leadership.

Pros

Students will always be the highlight.

Cons

Administrative incompetence, poor advancement opportunities, stagnant culture

Enjoyed my time there

I made specialty coffees for a college cafeteria. I really enjoyed my job there but no room for advancement. Hourly wages at that time were minimum($8 per hour) and I had a family. I learned how to make really yummy coffees. Management was very supportive of each employees needs. Hardest part of job was trying to secure enough hours to make a living. Most enjoyable was each day meeting clients and fellow employees.

Pros

Learned how to make great coffees

Cons

Not enough hours

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Camosun College?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Camosun College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement

Camosun College Reviews by Location

• Camosun College
  • Job Security & Advancement
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?