Camosun College

Camosun College Employee Reviews in Victoria, BC

Victoria, BC36 reviews

placegreatjobworkmanagementpeoplegoodenjoy

Meaningful work

Working with motivated emerging career students is the bomb. The people who support the students are so positive. There is so much hope and potential of good things to come. It is the dream.

Pros

people and service

Cons

Pay, lack of career growth

Super fun place to work hard to secure temporary positions for flex staff.

Camosun is a fun and dynamic work environment, with awesome staff and colleagues that are always able to assist others that are in need of assistance and help.

Pros

Diversity

Insights into Camosun College

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Supportive environment

great institution to work for, varies a lot by department but my experiences in custodial were mostly positive.

union job, paid well, benefits and time off package was good. no real complaints overall. those who have worked union jobs know there are positives(mostly) and some negatives(time off has to be booked in advance, and is booked by seniority.

Great staff, culture, support, benefits. Excellent unions who provide great support.

I enjoyed my position so much, I stayed in it for 27 years. I was very supported as technology changed, and my department grew. Camosun is a great employer for work/life balance (although this may vary a bit by manager), and this definitely helps to offset the average or slightly less than average pay. Understanding your collective agreement goes a long way towards a successful and supported career.

Probably the best place I have ever worked. Amazing people to work for and with. You truly feel like one big family. Great pay, great benefits. Amazing support for each other.

Great workplace with good benefits

Overall a good sense of community and services. A typical day involved answering emails, going to meetings, and interfacing with instructors, staff and students. I learned important time management skills there along with technical elements of the servers. The culture is positive, driven, but supportive. The hardest part of the job was multi-tasking when multiple clients were needing support. The most enjoyable part of the job was the community.

Slow paced, low pay but job security is high

Good place to work, slow paced but culture is fine, coworkers are cool. The projects vary, at times things can be very slow, other times you can have a project to work on.

Wonderful place for students

a great place to work and be a part of watching people develop there skills and seeing individuals grow and be successful. the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting students from all over the works, all with different stories and experiences.

Crew is fun management sucks

If you are not a favourite your gonna be stuck in the casual pool , they hire who they like Not a good enviroment to be in the interview process is a sham

Relaxed and easy work if you're a hard worker

Amazing coworkers, easy to talk to management, repetitive but consistent work. The routes switch up so you aren't always doing the same place. The janitorial team helps with security and production too so there are different things to do throughout the year. Not many day shifts available however so be prepared to start your 8hour workday around 4PM.

Worked there for years.Beginning was good older culture.

Quality of work satisfaction diminished after working there a number of years. As chairs, deans and administrators came and went the culture became more hostile. Very little appreciation of experienced teachers and a generally ageist attitude. I appreciated that a union was in place to help defend faculty against unfair against unfair

Good College dedicated to its community

It's a good place to work. Indeed is making me say more than this to move on to the next page, so I'm just trying to get to the 150 character minimum.

Camosun College

Lots of opportunity however very limited movement between CUPE and CCFA. Wages are comparatively lower than other post secondary institutions. Excellent benefits.

benefits

Cons

wages

Great opportunity to work and learn

The job was a great way of learning the same material taught to me in the ICS program by providing and receiving the same material from a different point of view. I was able to help new students comprehend material, and in turn allow me to review and understand the material from a new perspective. I believe that teaching what I learned during my program can definitely enhance the my understanding of the material, Great way to converse with different groups and have a better relationship with my professors.

Pros

work experience, meet new students, and enhance learning

disorganized, cliques , slow and fake people

Not recommended unless you know somebody - wierd place- buildings old and falling apart- they should fix old ones an stop building new ones-no residence - lousy library- lousy learning system computer training

Productive and ever changing workplace

- Always on the go making sure everything is set up and ready for each sporting event. I learned to work as a team and to adapt to situations and take initiative. My manager was awesome and gave me what i needed to succeed and trusted me with various roles/tasks. Hardest part of the job was being patient during the lull of the job. The most enjoyable part was having freedom to make decisions and teaching other people.

Great Place to Work!

Wonderful, people, environment, students and colleagues. The down side of being a sessional instructor is there is no job security. I would definitely work here full time if the opportunity came up!

Pros

People, autonomy

Cons

No job security

wholesome use of skill sets

Good communication skills regularly used. Good and approachable management team. Shift start at 8:30 and end at 4. Hard part is getting permanent full time work. It takes a long time to become a regular employee.

Student Rep

Great place to gain experience while attending school and it gives you the ability to try on diverse experience that might otherwidse take years in careers

Great work community

It's a great group of people who are poorly managed. The management team is constantly getting scrapped and rebuilt, but they are never address the core problems

Very Enjoyable Work Environment

I very much enjoy working at Camosun College…. The interaction between the Faculty and student body is very rewarding… Every day brings new challenges; the students seem to find different ways to approach problems, which challenges our knowledge. I enjoy the day to day activity as it has some semblance of order as we manage the network, student access, and ensure that all the resources that are required by faculty to present their labs is available and fully functional… This sometimes presents scheduling problems as the Mechanical Engineering or the Computer Sciences Departments also put demands on our resources. Each and every day is different and we also find satisfaction in being able to have solutions ready for the staff, and faculty when situations present themselves.. The only downside to the job is that the I feel the wage is somewhat lower than one would expect for what we do and the amount of student contact we have

Pros

Great work enviroment

Cons

Wage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Camosun College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement