Camosun College

Camosun College Employee Reviews

Crew is fun management sucks
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 January 2020
If you are not a favourite your gonna be stuck in the casual pool , they hire who they like
Not a good enviroment to be in the interview process is a sham
Worked there for years.Beginning was good older culture.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC1 December 2019
Quality of work satisfaction diminished after working there a number of years. As chairs, deans and administrators came and went the culture became more hostile. Very little appreciation of experienced teachers and a generally ageist attitude.
I appreciated that a union was in place to help defend faculty against unfair against unfair
Good College dedicated to its community
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 October 2019
It's a good place to work. Indeed is making me say more than this to move on to the next page, so I'm just trying to get to the 150 character minimum.
Camosun College
Employment Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 July 2019
Lots of opportunity however very limited movement between CUPE and CCFA. Wages are comparatively lower than other post secondary institutions. Excellent benefits.
benefits
Cons
wages
Great opportunity to work and learn
LAB ASSISTANT / TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 June 2019
The job was a great way of learning the same material taught to me in the ICS program by providing and receiving the same material from a different point of view.

I was able to help new students comprehend material, and in turn allow me to review and understand the material from a new perspective. I believe that teaching what I learned during my program can definitely enhance the my understanding of the material,

Great way to converse with different groups and have a better relationship with my professors.
Pros
work experience, meet new students, and enhance learning
disorganized, cliques , slow and fake people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 June 2019
Not recommended unless you know somebody - wierd place- buildings old and falling apart- they should fix old ones an stop building new ones-no residence - lousy library- lousy learning system computer training
Productive and ever changing workplace
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 May 2019
- Always on the go making sure everything is set up and ready for each sporting event. I learned to work as a team and to adapt to situations and take initiative. My manager was awesome and gave me what i needed to succeed and trusted me with various roles/tasks. Hardest part of the job was being patient during the lull of the job. The most enjoyable part was having freedom to make decisions and teaching other people.
Great Place to Work!
SESSIONAL INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 January 2019
Wonderful, people, environment, students and colleagues. The down side of being a sessional instructor is there is no job security. I would definitely work here full time if the opportunity came up!
Pros
People, autonomy
Cons
No job security
wholesome use of skill sets
Instructors Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC8 January 2019
Good communication skills regularly used. Good and approachable management team. Shift start at 8:30 and end at 4. Hard part is getting permanent full time work. It takes a long time to become a regular employee.
Student Rep
Director Student Society Wellness & Access (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC3 December 2018
Great place to gain experience while attending school and it gives you the ability to try on diverse experience that might otherwidse take years in careers
Great work community
Tech Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC22 August 2018
It's a great group of people who are poorly managed. The management team is constantly getting scrapped and rebuilt, but they are never address the core problems
Very Enjoyable Work Environment
Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 March 2018
I very much enjoy working at Camosun College…. The interaction between the Faculty and student body is very rewarding… Every day brings new challenges; the students seem to find different ways to approach problems, which challenges our knowledge. I enjoy the day to day activity as it has some semblance of order as we manage the network, student access, and ensure that all the resources that are required by faculty to present their labs is available and fully functional… This sometimes presents scheduling problems as the Mechanical Engineering or the Computer Sciences Departments also put demands on our resources. Each and every day is different and we also find satisfaction in being able to have solutions ready for the staff, and faculty when situations present themselves.. The only downside to the job is that the I feel the wage is somewhat lower than one would expect for what we do and the amount of student contact we have
Pros
Great work enviroment
Cons
Wage
Productive, active and social environment.
Sports event staff (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 March 2018
I love working in a group with individuals that had similar objectives as mine. Multitasking was an asset, order, responsibility, social interactions, and overall fun, enjoyable workplace and team members.
Advanced Systems and Technology, dedicated to students and staff, growing and innovative.
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC Landsdowne Camppus4 October 2017
Temporary employment but great people and opportunity to learn. Very busy HR office, processing faculty and staff appointment documentation. Opportunities to meet with Managers of other departments on a wide variety of issues.
Pros
Great people
Good and Bad
Administrative Team (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 September 2017
The most frustrating thing about Camosun is also the best thing. That is the union environment. It's great that they have your back, but it's also difficult to move someone who is not a good fit for position. I don't always feel like the union has my back, but with other aspects they sure do.
Meaningful work with supportive colleagues
Course Coordinator and Instructor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 September 2017
Great place to work. Meaningful work with hardworking and talented students. Colleagues and management are supportive. Processes are updated regularly for efficiency.
Fun Place to Work
Health Officer’s Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 June 2017
Very fun place to work with great staff and lots of laughs. There was opportunity to learn other positions within the Student Society office. Management was friendly.
Pros
Fun
student
Student (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC31 May 2017
it was a learning experience. I mainly just did some upgrading and paved a way to getting my business administration degree. I took math and English courses. I do have my high school diploma.
Terrible labour relations
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 May 2017
Sadly, a decade of under-funding of public education has gutted this college like so many other institutions in the province. The result includes an administration that is perpetually at war with the unions. The grievances pile to the sky while morale sinks. Teaching excellence is paid lip-service, but there is no accountability other than in the counting of beans to balance budgets. Students deserve far better.

Tone deaf administration confuses an archaic and authoritarian management style with progressive and creative leadership.
Pros
Students will always be the highlight.
Cons
Administrative incompetence, poor advancement opportunities, stagnant culture
Great campus
Writing Instructor / Editor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 May 2017
Good variety of courses and staff. Nice campus and buildings. The management is respectful. Pay is good. Union rates. Three campuses makes for great choices.