CAMBRIDGE MILL Employee Reviews in Cambridge, ON

General manager is a nightmare
Host (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON21 May 2019
General manager is extremely unapproachable, and frankly quite creepy. So if you have any questions or concerns....be prepared to keep them to yourself.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Alex
Scared to go into work
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON13 May 2019
Every time I had a shift at the Cambridge Mill it would give me anxiety because there was a high likely-hood that management would get upset with you. The general manager was unapproachable and would talk inappropriately about guests and other employees.
A great experience
Maitre D’ (Former Employee) –  Cambridge Mill18 January 2019
I loved my time working for Pearle - the team was a tightly knit family and our management was always available to talk when needed. Work life balance is always a struggle working in hospitality but I genuinely feel like I was able to keep up with my personal life outside of work - minus working holidays which again is part of the job.
Pros
Staff meals, fun team, flexible availability
Cons
Holidays you worked
Rose coloured glasses
server (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON30 November 2018
Don't walk, run. Not only is this property specifically horrible to work for the problems, but disappointment and lies carry throughout multiple properties Pearle Hospitality is affiliated with.

They paint a pretty picture for you during your interview but soon you'll find out that was all an act to get you through the doors. They offered me a ”higher wage” due to my experiences but once I received my pay I slowly started to find ”mistakes on accounting end” they called it. I had 2-3 hours deducted from every other shift, breaks that I never took, a $300 uniform I never received throughout my entire time working for this company. They kept my vacation pay, tips and way too much of my time. Myself and other staff were expected to work 12 - 14-hour shifts with one unpaid 30-minute break but never guaranteed.

The building is disgusting. They lack of support from upper management is concerning. Not only were they extremely unapproachable they were clicky and it felt like I was back in high school.

I would never recommend this company of this property to work to anyone.
Will grind the love of cooking right out of you
Cook (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON22 November 2018
It's basically slave labour, with little advancement and zero raises.
Management has definite favourites and turnover reflects that.
They used to close for holidays but do less and less each year.
Pros
Staff meal?
Cons
You will live there
Imo they only care about their bottom line.
Concierge (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON30 August 2018
It's a clique. It felt like if you're not a favourite you mean nothing to the management. They set you up for failure, don't train you very much, for example I received 2 or 3 training shifts and then I was on my own. They expected me to figure things out for myself and then got very upset when I made mistakes. They made me feel stupid for not knowing everything about everything. No compassion. Very punishment driven. They expected me to do my job and the job of the position above mine while paying me the same as the position below mine. They once told me that I would not receive any more training and every mistake I made would be a write up!!!

You don't get tips in the events department. Even though the bride and groom are required to pay a service charge on their wedding. Also no benefits or severance pay.

In one year alone I payed almost $400 on uniforms. All out of pocket. If your uniform gets stained or ripped during the course of your job you are required to pay for a new one.

Communication is very poor. For example they promoted a bartender to lead bartender without even informing the other bartenders that the position was available. Didn't even give any of them the opportunity to apply.

Some of the staff went to management once to ask for a security presence on the premises as they felt unsafe at work due to the proximity to Bridges and they were scoffed at. We were told that because we have multiple cameras on the premises that we were completely safe. This was shortly after the homeless man broke into the Mill and had a police standoff.

All of the events
  more... department positions are part time and primarily on weekends

Overall I think the Mill looks glamourous and successful on the outside but they don't care about their employees and I'm my opinion that is the real measure of a companies success.
Long days
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON15 August 2018
wish i was getting paid more but other than that the job was pretty good, Just hard to balance it with school yk. Dishwashing can get hectic sometimes tho when you are washing dishes for nearly 800 people. THe worst was getting the coffins which were alll the dishes from an ongoing party all stacked into a large rolling metal box called a coffin. it would be filled with upwards of a 100 diffrent plates that need washing.
Pros
free food, long hours
hot and bothered
Apprentice chef (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON4 June 2018
everyone is at eachother and you never have time to think, I'm left in the kitchen alone a lot of the time , .
Pros
good people
Fun, busy, good hours
Banquet/Event server (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON15 April 2018
Busy hours, work almost every weekend.
Staff is fun and easy to get along with.
Would get between 30-40 hours in one weekend
Provide staff meals.
Always looking for new banquet servers
Pros
staff meals
Unappreciated service
Wedding Concierge (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON23 March 2018
Of all the years I have worked here I have never truly felt appreciated for any of the work I have done. The hours are long and mainly on weekends, and you don't get a lot of lineage to book time off for personal things. management often doesn't take matters seriously when things are brought to their attention, especially in terms of when you suggest something such as different procedures that would make service improved. the only reason I stayed so long was because of the staff.
Cons
long hours, mainly work weekends
Excellent
Facility Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON18 October 2017
Facilities, staff, management and service - just excellent! The corporate philosophy is in the details. Details in every part from the time you enter until the time you leave.
Mark B.
Extremely Disappointing Place to Work
Events Staff (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON5 July 2017
When I interviewed for a job at Cambridge Mill, it was presented to me as a dream opportunity. There was mention of advancement opportunities with a growing company. I was excited to start, but soon realized I had been oversold. There was no mention of certain qualifications and experiences that would be beneficial to the job, which were experiences I did not have. Certain management members were extremely disrespectful, not understanding, and far from compassionate. I received many talking-to's in regard to my "poor performance" and was demoted from my job title. I was promised that if I showed "significant improvement" that I would be brought back up to my job title. I quit immediately, and received a response 10 days later from management acknowledging that I was leaving, which appeared not to phase them at all. I would definitely think twice about any job opportunity here, and make sure you ask EVERY question you may have in the beginning stages.
Great work environment- everyone works as a team.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON3 December 2015
I really enjoyed working for this company. They treat their employees very well. Management is very understanding, fair, and easy to talk to. Employees are very friendly, work as a team, and help each other out.
Pros
Treat employees well.
Cons
Long shifts.
BEing creative with different plates and food.
Chef de Partie (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON11 August 2015
The kitchen was very clean and organized. I loved working there because I could show my creative side. The people were easy to work with and I learned a lot from them.
great place to work, not much opportunity for advancement
Pastry Chef (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON23 April 2015
Worked there for a short while, I learned a lot in the beginning but eventually got bored. I worked in the a la carte kitchen and sometimes the atmosphere would get very intense.
Productive and very fun work environment
Dishwasher & Brunch Cook (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON26 January 2013
Typical days are usually busy but, the work environment is great. Every co-worker almost makes you feel like family and at home, also the work is very productive.
What I enjoy the co-workers I work with
Pros
free food
ok
Bartender/Server (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON3 January 2013
okay not great money as a bartender, little recognition for achievements, managers looking for negatives to focus on
Pros
staff meal on occasion
Cons
no money