CAMBRIDGE MILL

CAMBRIDGE MILL Employee Reviews

Canada29 reviews
Friendly team members
The team members you work with are super friendly, the hours are long, the pay isn't enough to live off of, or a good amount to be paid for the hours you work.
Classy
Decent managing but recieved very few hours and often felt look down upon...everything seems like a competition. Some co-workers are nice and other are terrible towards you
Passionate employees
Cambridge mill has a passionate group of employees. Very team work oriented. Frequent menu changes. They appreciate servers feedback.
Strict about steps of service.

Wine knowledge a must.
Best Job I’ve Ever Had
For the first time in my adult life, I feel like I matter and that I am a part of a team working together with everyone around me to build something truly special. Amazing morale, amazing perks and amazing people.
Horrible place, do not work here
Every story I have ever heard about this place was horrible. I didn't listen but I should have. I was only an expo/food runner and I was worked like a dog. Not getting out until 2am on Saturdays while having to lift tables and chairs up and down the stairs even though there was an elevator,I hurt myself doing this because nobody cared to slow down, everything needed to be done right away no matter how tired or how heavy something was. Not allowed to take breaks unless you smoke, working with horribly rude and aggressive managers that made you feel so small every chance they got. Stuck in traffic? Might get written up, careful. I would recommend to stay away from this place, unless you want to be belittled and humiliated everyday you work. It's 2020, you'd think employers would know how to respect their employee now a days, not this place. It's a shame, this place is stunning and has amazing food, just such pathetic and horrible management.
Fast-Paced Enviroment with Beautiful surroundings
All staff are friendly and move quickly to keep up with the demand in service. Very helpful when questions are asked. Open communication between all the staff and management. Going to work isn't stressful, and the view from the event rooms and restaurant over the Grand River is beautiful.
Still have nightmares
I worked at this nightmare of a place for nearly 4 years. I started at a young enough age I didn't know how badly I was being taken advantage of by my employers. From the very start this company payed little attention to laws: I was serving wine for about 2 years before I was old enough to do smart serve. Throughout my experience here the management was constantly switching, likely due to the terrible standards and poor quality, during which I went through several terrible managers. When I say terrible, I mean evil...literally the entire staff would complain to upper management about the event manager or other management and nothing would be done. There is little to no concern over health and safety - as a server you were pushed way too much and sorry, but I would not eat the food from here as a guest, so not worth it...
This place was hella competitive too, and not in a good way - managers had obvious 'favourites' who would get promoted ahead of more experienced staff, or would receive special privileges. In 4 years working in events at the Cambridge mill, I never received a penny of the gratuities that were owed to me (they charge the couple for this fee in the wedding contract, and pocket it). Not once. Several staff filed this with the labour board, but it was shut down suspiciously.Oh, and that's another thing, for the numerous staff who did file various complaints with the labour board, management would sit you down in the office and confront you about it...which I'm pretty sure is also illegal. I can't say enough how terrible this place is, along with the rest of pearle
 - more...
The Best Team
I have worked at Cambridge Mill for just over a year now as a Special Events Coordinator, and I have to say that from the beginning, it is much more than I could have asked for.

The establishment is the epitome of great customer service. It’s so refreshing to see every member of the team, from management to entry level employees, share the same values and work tirelessly towards the same quality of service for their guests. I thoroughly enjoyed working with each and every person on the Cambridge Mill team.

The hospitality industry is a difficult one given the many hours that need to be covered, but management regularly encouraged me to take time for myself. I was given many opportunities to expand my knowledge of the industry which led to the only reason I could foresee myself leaving Cambridge Mill; a career advancement within Pearle Hospitality.

I continuously brag about my job/Cambridge Mill as a whole to everyone I know. I have made the most amazing colleagues and friends at this establishment and I am going to miss working with each of them every single day.

You gotta work here.
Great Environment & lots of opportunities to grow
I have worked at the mill for a few years now and it has been the best work experience I have had. The environment is friendly and welcoming and everyone is willing to help you if you need it. I started as support and quickly moved up through several positions learning so much in each position. I am happy coming into work every day!
Stay far away if you value your time & life
I've been a chef for 16 year and for the last part year-and-a-half I've been working at the Cambridge Mill. By far one of the most worst working atmospheres I have ever been in such a very toxic, negative and poor food quality. From the new executive chef to one of the worst general managers I have ever worked. This place will literally suck the joy of cooking and life right out of you. 13 hour days under paid my missing hours for brakes you never take. The payroll always seems to be messed up and gratuities are charged to advance and never handed out to any of the staff. Sounds like theft to me. Upper management is a bunch clowns. Pearle hospitality is by far one of the worst companies in Ontario to work for don't walk but run very far away from working here. Empty promises and Broken Dreams,
Don’t do it.
My time at the mill consisted of a year working under the title as a event server, when I first arrived I was told that $14.00 an hour was my “premium wage” for the gratuity’s that we did not receive. The building is an absolute mess with traces of black mould contaminating majority of the behind the scene areas. The general manager is an arrogant creep. I strongly advise anyone considering this as a future workplace to rethink your decisions
Not Worth It
They don't give you gratuity pay (which is illegal because they charge customers for event gratuity), and they dock you 30 cents per hour for food. Meanwhile, the food they give you is cold, disgusting leftovers from the events that you served. People often would get sick/food poisoning. So the company has essentially found a way to save money by feeding you what would have been garbage. Employees who complained about this and asked for change were simply ignored.
A typical shift is 11-14 hours long, with only one 20 minute break.

It's a very physically demanding job, because you're constantly running around serving your event plus other events.

Shifts are only on fridays and saturdays (plus the odd sunday brunch shift). So the appeal to some would be that they get all of their hours accomplished in 2 days.

All in all, you can work similar jobs for much higher pay. Don't waste your time/energy with this company.
Pros
long shifts
Cons
everything
Scared to go into work
Every time I had a shift at the Cambridge Mill it would give me anxiety because there was a high likely-hood that management would get upset with you. The general manager was unapproachable and would talk inappropriately about guests and other employees.
A great experience
I loved my time working for Pearle - the team was a tightly knit family and our management was always available to talk when needed. Work life balance is always a struggle working in hospitality but I genuinely feel like I was able to keep up with my personal life outside of work - minus working holidays which again is part of the job.
Pros
Staff meals, fun team, flexible availability
Cons
Holidays you worked
Rose coloured glasses
Don't walk, run. Not only is this property specifically horrible to work for the problems, but disappointment and lies carry throughout multiple properties Pearle Hospitality is affiliated with.

They paint a pretty picture for you during your interview but soon you'll find out that was all an act to get you through the doors. They offered me a ”higher wage” due to my experiences but once I received my pay I slowly started to find ”mistakes on accounting end” they called it. I had 2-3 hours deducted from every other shift, breaks that I never took, a $300 uniform I never received throughout my entire time working for this company. They kept my vacation pay, tips and way too much of my time. Myself and other staff were expected to work 12 - 14-hour shifts with one unpaid 30-minute break but never guaranteed.

The building is disgusting. They lack of support from upper management is concerning. Not only were they extremely unapproachable they were clicky and it felt like I was back in high school.

I would never recommend this company of this property to work to anyone.
Will grind the love of cooking right out of you
It's basically slave labour, with little advancement and zero raises.
Management has definite favourites and turnover reflects that.

They used to close for holidays but do less and less each year.
Pros
Staff meal?
Cons
You will live there
A high turnover, low focus dining environment geared toward part-time employment for the majority of their staff.
My typical days under the manager at the time would begin at 7:30 in the morning, working as an additional cleaning staff member, then transition into serving attire at 1:30 to work until 2:30 or 3:00 am the following morning, and expected to return at 7:30 the following day. The specific manager who was responsible for this scheduling was eventually fired for reasons unknown to me, however I have my suspicions.
Pros
The staff consisted of many friends from local highschools.
Cons
Unfair working conditions and expectations
Imo they only care about their bottom line.
It's a clique. It felt like if you're not a favourite you mean nothing to the management. They set you up for failure, don't train you very much, for example I received 2 or 3 training shifts and then I was on my own. They expected me to figure things out for myself and then got very upset when I made mistakes. They made me feel stupid for not knowing everything about everything. No compassion. Very punishment driven. They expected me to do my job and the job of the position above mine while paying me the same as the position below mine. They once told me that I would not receive any more training and every mistake I made would be a write up!!!

You don't get tips in the events department. Even though the bride and groom are required to pay a service charge on their wedding. Also no benefits or severance pay.

In one year alone I payed almost $400 on uniforms. All out of pocket. If your uniform gets stained or ripped during the course of your job you are required to pay for a new one.

Communication is very poor. For example they promoted a bartender to lead bartender without even informing the other bartenders that the position was available. Didn't even give any of them the opportunity to apply.

Some of the staff went to management once to ask for a security presence on the premises as they felt unsafe at work due to the proximity to Bridges and they were scoffed at. We were told that because we have multiple cameras on the premises that we were completely safe. This was shortly after the homeless man broke into the Mill and had a police standoff.

All of the events
 - more...
Long days
wish i was getting paid more but other than that the job was pretty good, Just hard to balance it with school yk. Dishwashing can get hectic sometimes tho when you are washing dishes for nearly 800 people. THe worst was getting the coffins which were alll the dishes from an ongoing party all stacked into a large rolling metal box called a coffin. it would be filled with upwards of a 100 diffrent plates that need washing.
Pros
free food, long hours
hot and bothered
everyone is at eachother and you never have time to think, I'm left in the kitchen alone a lot of the time , .
Pros
good people
Fun, busy, good hours
Busy hours, work almost every weekend.
Staff is fun and easy to get along with.

Would get between 30-40 hours in one weekend

Provide staff meals.

Always looking for new banquet servers
Pros
staff meals