Calix Employee Reviews

Fun place to work.
Currently self employed (Former Employee) –  remote worker20 April 2018
Calix has a large remote work force. I loved working for them. The only down fall is they are project oriented, so when your project ends you may have to move on.
Summary
Vice President (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CA20 March 2018
Most enjoyable:
Work with many different technologies and partners @ a fast pace.
Work with cutting edge technology, in a full ecosystem architecture.
overworked
Lead ISP / Detail Engineer (Former Employee) –  Remote7 March 2018
was overworked when the job was moving forward then was let go when we had nothing coming in. I enjoyed leading a team of engineers. Some of the managers only could mange but didn't understand the engineering side.
No long term upper management planning
Senior Component Engineer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN3 March 2018
Nothing good to say was once a good company but it no longer has a viable future for employees. All career functions are being out sourced over seas. with no new hardware designs being manufactured.
Pros
Was a stable company
Cons
Moving towards a software based company all off shore
Good products, but poor management
Software Engineer (Embedded systems) (Current Employee) –  Petaluma, CA9 January 2018
Good products and concepts, upper management is less than ideal. poor decisions when it comes to future products and code bases/branching. was a constant struggle as a developer.
Great Products-Poorly Managed Professional Service Department
Access ISP Engineer Professional Services (Former Employee) –  Petaluma, CA3 January 2018
Very Demanding position and little recognition. Management does not make effort to find root cause of issues. Promotions and raises are determined by how well you play office politics. Actual Tech skill knowledge is secondary.
Pros
Work Remote
Cons
Long Hours, Low Pay, No Recognition
Great people fast paced and challenging
Professional Services Engineer (Former Employee) –  Petaluma, CA2 January 2018
Calix is a great place to grow your experience and career. All the folks I had contact with were some of the best around.
Really enjoyed the time with Calix.
Pros
Great opportunities to contribute to the company. Fantastic people.
Cons
Long hours, difficult at times to balance family and work
It is a cluster...
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Remote6 December 2017
This company has no direction. They manage many processes via email and are not prepared for the project that they undertake. They hire friends of friends and only if you are really connected can you keep your job. There are constant lay-offs. Management lacks foresight and does not listen to the workers when they point out deficiencies.
Pros
Work remote
Cons
No direction in PM department
Easy Going / Great pay & Benefits
Professional Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  Telecommute5 December 2017
I was 100% telecommute which made for a great work/life balance for my particular position and the pay/benefits were great. Lack of true direction with a high turn over and frequent layoffs make working here stressful.
Fast Paced Telecom equipement provider
Sr. Access Provisioning Engineer (Current Employee) –  Remote13 November 2017
A company transforming from a hardware provider to a software solutions company. Current revenue streams are mostly from hardware sales but they are trying to change over to a predominantly software focused company.
Challenging experience
Vendor Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  Wylie, TX30 September 2017
Great learning experience.
Great people to work with.
Worked from Home.
Great direction
Learned about other vendors and their requirements to do work for Calix
Division is disorganized
OSP Contract Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Remote27 September 2017
Constant Reorgs. Sr Mgnt brings in program and project managers who has no technical background. Insane stress, hours, with constant in-divisional fighting. No accountability or ownership.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
long hours, employees not valued, no accountability by new management
Good employer, challenging work environment
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Remote21 July 2017
I enjoyed the work enjoyable, and found the peers to be friendly and knowledgeable. There is an underlying push for excellence, and that is backed by continuing education.
Pros
Work/Life balance, workplace culture
Cons
Occasional unrealistic expectations
Beware of Contract Positions
A/R Analyst (Former Employee) –  Petaluma, CA4 November 2016
hired on as a contract employee without full knowledge of what that meant to Calix! After hiring on as a contractor you then have to re interview for the position which could leave you unemployed.
Co workers were great, environment took some adjusting to.
Off site mgmt. doesn't work! Can't manage a department one day a week and not be available the rest of the week. Tooooo many "meetings" that were unproductive.
Management structure needs rethinking.
Pros
Flexible hours, endless snacks, Fresh Fruit Tuesday's endless beverages.
Cons
new employees need welcome meetings by HR. Management needs to be onsite NOT in San Jose!
A company that has lost its soul
Finance (Former Employee) –  Petaluma, CA18 April 2016
I worked at Calix for a number of years, and enjoyed the early years of my employment very much. I worked hard, with a great group of co-workers focused on building the business.

Over the past couple of years, however, the company has undergone a number of management changes an its culture has changed for the worse. As a result, many long-time employees have moved on and the internal environment has become increasingly negative and even toxic.
Pros
Good products. Loyal customers.
Cons
No fun anymore, Culture of finger-pointing and blame replaced the prior cameraderie
Datacom Solutions short lived
Telecommunication equipment installer (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NE14 March 2016
my time with Datacom Solutions I was promised work around great plains territory but contract expired as soon as i qualified for insurance and matching 401k.
Pros
easy work
Cons
no security
Very erratic work place with wild swings of work
Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CA23 September 2015
Very erratic work place with wild swings of work ranging from undue pressure sometimes to uneasy nothingness on some other days.
Too many managers in the middle layer makes it harder for average engineers to perform their tasks,
Hi paced environment
Senior Payroll Accountant (Current Employee) –  Petaluma, CA2 June 2015
I've learned a great deal at Calix. The original culture was one that many could model. Employees are great to work with.
Pros
Good employees
Cons
Too many departmental transitions without the support to make is seamless.
Awesome learning environment
Lab Technician (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MN11 May 2015
Calix is a great place to work. I came in without much engineering experience, but after only a couple of months started feeling very comfortable. The equipment and software started to become easier to use and I started to become a valuable asset to the company.

The hardest part about my job is the sudden changing of testing that needs to be done and being able to adapt to those changes on the fly. I'm not typically one to let things go unfinished.

I love the atmosphere of the company and the associates I work with. The diversity here is amazing, working with so many different cultures and backgrounds is very enlightening.

I do like working for Calix, if I had to give a yay or nay to someone looking to work for Calix I would give them my full backing.
Pros
Free soda, fruit Tuesdays, Donut Club
Cons
Company is based out of California and split across multiple sites across the world.
I hated to leave
Human Resources Program Lead (Former Employee) –  Petaluma, CA26 September 2013
I had to leave the company for personal reasons and dare say I will find a better group of people to work with individual contributor level or management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calix. Our community is ready to answer.