Calgary Winter Club Management reviews

Bartender, Server, Host and Expo
Hostess, Expo, Bartender and Server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2019
I enjoy the people i work with, they made it a fun and positive work environment I looked forward to going to. Management could use some work but scheduling and availability changes are very flexible.
It's the best place to work.
Member Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 November 2017
I loved this place. I was able to finished my Practical Nurse because of this place so I am forever grateful. With 7,500 members, mostly I know them by name and face. In this place, its like not working at all. I would rather say, I get paid to socialize. I loved all the people in this place. Everyone would wonder why I know lots of members because I got to converse to them sincerely. Management is the best.
Pros
It's a premier social club - lots of socializing.
Cons
You can't call & sick - you have to call all your best effort to call someone to cover your shift
Great environment to work in
Junior's Beginner Squash (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 May 2017
The Calgary Winter Club was a great work environment. The staff and management were so friendly and the facility was amazing. Work hours varied but were good for anyone
Great place to work until the board decided to take over the management
Director of Food & Beverage (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 May 2017
The Calgary Winter Club is a wonderful place to work!
The atmosphere was always about the members and their satisfaction. The management team was dissolved by the board of directors as they decide to become the management and and not the governance body they should have been and had been until 2011. Shame
Pros
Great Facility
Cons
Board of Directors
Interesting workplace
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  14th street,Calgary,Alberta20 October 2016
I learned how to organise stocks etc. , handle payments,and teamwork. the management is okay. Very helpful co-workers. there was no hard part of the job.
Pros
free lunch
fun and friendly environment
server (Current Employee) –  calgary27 June 2016
Winter club has really good culture and management, all staff are friendly and work hard together.

all managers are nice to staff and polite
Pros
free meals
Cons
good length work time, paid break time
Not great
Food Expositor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 March 2016
I found the experience here was not very student friendly or male friendly. I felt management did not do a great job at helping everyone that needed help and only cared about looks.
Calgary Winter Club
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 November 2014
A typical day of work would ideally start at 5:30 am when I first arrive to open the pool. Myself an other team member are responsible to remove the automated vacuums from the pool, and do the pool chemistry to ensure we are able to open the pool in accordance with Alberta and facility laws.

The early morning user groups range from triathlete groups, swim clubs, elderly hot tub goers, water aerobic enthusiasts and even product testers for speedo and timex. Each user group has a specific pool lay out that needs to be in place by strict deadlines throughout the morning.

I also keep track, and encourage other team embers, to remember the specific details that each user group requests. This might be remembering what colour weight belt each elderly lady in water aerobics uses, so they don't have to walk to get it before class, pulling out the tin stair-ladders during swim clubs time, moving pace clocks without being specifically asked, and turning off the radio for our hearing damaged members. Getting to know people and establishing good communication bases is a large and often overlooked part of my typical day at work.

The upper management of the Calgary Winter Club is excellent, and here is why. The generous staff in action program allows staff members who work 15 hours or so a week, to use the facilities with very minor limitations as though they were members. This is a product of the excellent relationship that exists between Staff and the Members (of whom the entire board of directors is a part of). If the shareholders collectively decided that they would rather
  more... not have any staff members exercise in the facilities, they have the power to stop it from happening. The shareholders are members, and if the members have good relationships with the staff that they interact with, they are more likely to continue to be okay with sharing the facilities. At the top of the process is management hiring great people who reflect the values of CWC.

I work with a diverse group of people both members and non members. Each person brings a unique quality in their approach to excellent customer service. They are all great people that make work easier for each other with their support, reliability, and consistency. The whole group has really grown since I was first hired and its awesome to see the younger team members developing great work ethics.

In my own experience, the hardest part of the job is advancement. It is very difficult to advance in pay and position and seemingly easy to lose it. Another hard part of the job is to stay motivated to provide excellent service when the number of hours you work within a week is constantly shifting and not alway a guarantee. Hours are assigned based on seniority based on date hired. Since you only need to work 1 shift every so often to keep your job, some people have been working here off and on for very long stints of time. So occasionally there wont be any hours for a person who was working 30 hours the previous week because someone with superior seniority will come back from studying abroad and soak up all the hours they can.

You can avoid this whole seniority ordeal if you are in a payed position, but as of now there are only 3 of those (senior lifeguard) positions.

That being said, despite the sever lack of advancement opportunities in my department, the best part of the job is everything else. The Best part is being payed a reasonably high wage, The best part is being able to use the facilities when I am off work. The best part in interacting with so many successful people including Olympians and business moguls. The best part is seeing people i like to see every day! This job is awesome because the Calgary Winter Club is amazing.
Pros
staff discount of food, opportunity to use the facilities, friendly people, enormous selection of facilities
Cons
Little to no room for advancement, strange hour allocation based on sign up date
high service standard
Banquet Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2013
a day at work was more focus on providing high standard services
I learned doing the best service
The management is trying best to supervise the employees, and investigate some uneffective incidents
many of my co-workers are quite friendly
the hardest part of the job is trying to improve my service standard
the most enjoyable part of the job is being around with some very nice co-workers
Pros
learned to best possible service
Cons
not having good pay