Calgary Transit

Calgary Transit Reviews: Working at Calgary Transit

Canada43 reviews

transitshiftbenefithourhardgoodenjoyworking

Hard work during winter months

Since being laid off with information that our jobs were contracted out to our bosses cousin.I refrain from any further comment.Our union did nothing to try to negotiate saving our jobs .As a matter of fact they were away at a convention when City council voted to privatize our Deptment leaving over 100 workers and their families with very little hope.Anyone who transferred to another sector of Calgary Transit was sent back to our group to be laid off.All in all a very stressful environment with a pretty terrible experience after working hard forc10 years.

Pros

Good salary

Cons

Bad union rep and management. Back room deals entirely illegal.

Vehicles poorly maintained

Vehicles often poorly maintained often breakdown more time off more work life balance better maintained vehicles to operate more time for schedules more break times

Pros

Benefits offered

Cons

Long hours unreliable equipment such as buses and trains

Insights into Calgary Transit

What people like
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job

Modern, clean work space with a great gym.

I love my work site! It's accommodating, nice management. Busy and professional but relaxed at the same time.

Great opportunity to help people

While the task may be safely driving people to their destinations, you also have many opportunities to help people and listen to their great stories! You interact with people from all walks of life. Every day has its exciting challenges and rewards.

Pros

Flexible schedule with seniority.

Cons

Work life balance is difficult to achieve when you first start the job.

Toxic work environment

Horrible work environment, every employee is more concerned with throwing each other under the bus to save their own skin. Management only concern with over spending the budget (taxpayers money) to justify there existence. Could wait to be done with that job my skills and talents were waisting away. The union did nothing for there members and even demanded every member vote for a particular party in the provincial election. Pay was good, hours as well but not worth the trade off for the frustration and misery of having to look over your shoulder all the time and watching the clock all day.

Pros

Work hours

Cons

Work environment

Great people, bad work-life balance

I worked at CT for a little over two years and have many good things to say. The supervisors were friendly, compassionate and good hearted people. The staff were even better - a great group of people from all walks of life. Working in Customer Service was fun, but really unchallenging and boring, which I didn't love. Moving into the security side of things, it got interesting but very high stress. Most on call customer service reps were pushed into the security side with little understanding of the things you end up seeing. This is fine for people who handle stressful situations well. I, unfortunately, am not one of those people. The good new is they do provide stellar peer support, so if that's your jam, you'll love working here. Most staff are hired on as on-call, so you need to be available on weekends. If they like you, you get a lot of hours (and I did), so the money is great. Sadly, no benefits or other perks beyond the great (and I mean great) hourly wage.

Pros

Staff

Cons

Night shift, no benefits, no weekends

Fun to work if you are people's person.

Soo far good experience, pay and benefits are good. Lots of room for advancement in company. At the beginning you get long hour shifts mostly split shifts.

Pros

Enjoy out door and people

Cons

Long hours with split work

Calgary Transit is Toxic

The ONLY good things about working for Calgary Transit is the Salary, Benefits and Pension if you drive Train or BigBus. If you drive Shuttle then its Benefits and maybe pension. Management is aloof and absent, they have no idea of the reality on the ground. Control and Dispatch treat you like sh1t and the majority of your fellow drivers will steal the food off your plate while espousing the "bother and sisterhood" of your fellow employees. Toxic environment. No sign of the workplace respect and policies Transit supposedly promotes...

Pros

Benefits, Pension

Cons

Everything else

Shuttle Bus drivers get treated unfairly

I think driving the big busses at Calgary Transit would be a good job eventually, after taking years to learn the routes and waiting to gain seniority to be able to pick good routes. However, the shuttle bus drivers have the exact same training, drivers license, and skills as the big bus drivers but they get paid at least $14 less per hour. Also, the shuttle bus drivers do not get paid for travel time in between routes. It is a rip off and I felt like we were being treated unfairly during my employment there and the union was doing nothing about it.

Pros

Good municiple health benefits. Great co-workers and most of the customers are great.

Cons

Unfair pay for shuttle, lots of split shifts, takes years to gain seniority

Quick and not stressful

Sat down with 1 shop foreman, and 1 Shop Coordinator for about 15 mins. Just asked about previous work experience, where I want to be in 5 years, and how I could be an asset. Was over qualified for the job, but got it.

I enjoyed working for Transit; but for the politics i would still be there.

Working outside maintenance overnight was a great job for me- someone with sleep issues. It wasn't for everyone, especially those who couldn't work independently or work nights. For those who could however, the benefits were many. Every shift was different from the previous ones, and the opportunities to learn new skills abounded. .

Pros

Working with a crew, working independently. Knowing that your efforts were having an immediate impact on people

Cons

Discovering that city politics holds your future, through contracting out, etc.

Stress free work environment

Pro-active environment organised for a stress free work atmosphere and growth opportunities. Transparent interaction and open leadership support and guidance.

As long as u keep your nose clean and dont speak your mind and dont make any mistakes u should be fine but thats an iffy

Working for ct is ok for about 1 a yr after u pass your probation after that the pressure and stress start mounting especially from management &supers

Pros

Passengers for most part r nice to chat with and driving city for the most part is relaxing and fun

Cons

Stressful atmosphere, management treat is bad, supervisors dont listen, health suffers mentally and physically

Stressful environment

Subject to union culture, driver assaults, mundane work and unpleasant conditions. Twelve hour split shifts, very early starts, winter driving hazards and aggress druvers in traffic.

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits

You’re just a number

They give you a job they move you around they make you worry about your security at your job and then they let you go with only a months worth of severance that’s what I went through and I wouldn’t recommend this job to anyone

Equipment was fair to good. Company culture was great. Management Does not take the proper steps to ensure the safety of their drivers. I would not suggest anyone working for Calgary Transit with a family.

summary

Not as safe market to work in. Calgary transit does not take the proper measures to ensure the safety of their drivers. I would not recommmend working there.

Taking customers to the places that matter to them.

Calgary Transit is a fast-paced environment that constantly changes daily. Our culture values a diverse, safe, and collaborative workforce that works together to provide excellent service to our customers.

Good

Excellent place to work. Good salary package. Friendly crew members. Management is approachable in all aspects. Work life balance is nearly good. Totally nice

Fantastic when driving

the job is super, i wouldnt want to be doing anything else and would do this job for 10$ less an hour. There are no 2 days the same which keeps the boredom away

Pros

best job ever

Cons

cut throat managment

It's a fun place to work

I enjoy working for Calgary Transit as a Community Shuttle Operator because I can balance my work life with my personal life according to my own availability.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calgary Transit. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement