Calgary Stampede Employee Review

View all Calgary Stampede reviews

Great learning place with rich western hospitality tradition
Mechanical Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 July 2013
We usually start the day with rather informal round-table gathering in the morning. Our chief and assistant chief will tell us what work should be done or what concerns they have or special requests they received from other departments or dispatch center. They would then ask each individual of us who is willing/volunteering to handle these tasks. After that, we will take care less urgent tasks such as keep preventative maintenance up to date or do the water tests.

I have learned how to interact with guests, coworkers, and with various trade people. I have also acquired more interpersonal and better customer service skills. Exposing myself to myriad equipment in the park make me more humble as almost everyday I am facing new challenges.

Our department manager always lead us by the example as they all worked their way from the bottom. I wouldn't want to be them (our chief and assistant chiefs) as our department is constantly running under the budget, not protected by the union and our new staffs constantly being lured by other companies as our wage is a lot lower than the rest of companies in the industry.

The hardest part of the job is probably a lot of building's HVAC design are done without HVAC/Refrigeration mechanics expertise opinions and lots of equipment are mix and matched (as air handler unit is Trane while AC and heating is Carrier) which make them aren't fully compliant with control system. Sometimes we have to pay extra money to have these kinds of issues rectified. The result of this is our department constantly operating under the budget. On top of
  more... that, all the other trades who work in the park are unionized but ours are not. Quite a lot of time the plumbers or electricians won't allow us to touch area that deals with piping or electricity on our own equipment which they have no previous training at all. Things can get frustrated if we have deadlines to meet.

The most enjoyable of this job is when we can resolve issues some contractors or engineer overlook or couldn't resolve; however, for this year it would be getting Stampede 2013 going after the entire park was ravaged by the flood despite having only 2 weeks to cleanup and setup. This not just proved together we are greatest, keeping the tradition going as well as keep the economy flowing as many business in the city and out of town all depend on this event.
Pros
Great learning place
Cons
Pay is a lot lower compared to the rest companies in the industry

Other Calgary Stampede Employee Reviews

Great Introductory Job
Barrel Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2018
It was a great seasonal position doing garbage cleanup and removal that I surprisingly quite enjoyed. the environment was engaging but exhausting, and coworkers were mostly very hardworking.
Repetitive but secure and flexible
Parking Lot Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 April 2018
You really get to know how the whole Stampede Park functions behind the curtains.

Get to the job when the email tells you to, check in with your team lead and head to your position. Most of the times you'll get a radio so you can work efficiently. If your shift is long enough you'll get a break. If there is not enough to do you could be sent home early. At the end of your shift you give up your radio and clock out.

Nothing too hard but it keeps you on your feet and really develops your people skills.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Weather