Calgary Stampede Employee Reviews

Good pay for the work
Catering (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 December 2018
Good pay for the jobs that you are doing, and a successful and world-class catering location. Due to the nature of the job, shifts can be sporadic, but shifts are flexible with week-by-week availability.
Pros
Meals on shift
Cons
Unreliable for consistency
Its tough work but you get money
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 December 2018
So I worked at stampede this summer at a food truck.
Let me tell you it gets crazy busy, managers can be snappy and you will work long hours (most only pay minimum wage).
So yea its exhausting and annoying but you know what in the end you'll make some bank. If you find the right place you can make over 1,000 in these ten days so go for it, it is a challenge.
Cons
long hours, annoying managers
a fun workplace to work at
Parking Lot Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 November 2018
a nice place to work at and i learned how to communicate with people better the management is organized and the workplace culture is a very happy feeling
Cultural Experience
Dancer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 November 2018
Working within the Stampede community was great always had a good time with the surrounding environment. Lots of people everywhere which was good for meeting new people who like the culture.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long summer hours
Enjoyable interaction with clients
Part time coat check (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2018
Perfected my skills at working with people, (clients and staff).

Learned to handle cash and balance at checkout.

Workplace culture is fine as it provides opportunity to interact with others.

Hardest part of job is an unexpected surge or clients and too little staff to handle the number of clients.

Most enjoyable part is interaction with others especially clients.
Pros
Cons
insufficient hours
doesn't seem to promote or encourage loyalty, hard work is not rewarded
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 October 2018
They hired me on the false pretense that I would be working permanently just before the Stampede started and then excused me right after without any real reasoning other than I was on 3 month probation and were exercising their right to let me go. I understand it can be hard to find people to work temporarily but it would have been nice for them to at least say why they were letting me go, even if it was because they decided they no longer needed that position. I loved all my co-workers and enjoyed the job, it seemed to have great culture on the surface. There was no real on-board training but the staff that helped me were amazing! Great, great people to work with, I just didn't appreciate the manner in which they let me go. I also have yet to get my ROE and its been 3mths!
Productive and sometimes a struggle
Venue Services Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 October 2018
Taking out the trash, cleaning the washroom, then help clean garbage bags from the seats, check washroom if it needs more stocking, sweeping the floor plenty of times.

What I learned is to communicate is very important during your shift, if there is a lack of talking, things will end bad.

Sometimes it is find your manager, because they have to check on multiple people on different levels on the Grand Stand.

Workplace culture is sometimes awkward because when staff members says something and misheard it, when talking to them, they forget what they talked about.

Hardest part is when you have to do the workload of an entire level of the Grand Stand.

Most enjoyable part of the job is when get to finish your work and listen and watch the performances live.
Pros
Listen to the acts live
Cons
Workmates are not communicative
very great first job
grbage crew (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 October 2018
this was an amazing oportunity for me after seeking employement in various places i finally got a job here which made it so much easier to get a part time job aftrwards i will never regret it.
Pros
good money and excercise
Cons
icking up garbage
It was great
Gate Attendant/Entry (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 October 2018
I loved working for the Calgary Stampede, it was my first job and it was probably the hardest I ever worked out of any job I've ever had. I would recommend it to anyone looking.
Good vibes and good people around you
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 October 2018
My day's consisted of taking orders and handling change and interacting with costumer. The work culture was good it was nice that it was during the summer time and everyone was happy and the vibes were good. Hardest part about the job would have to be dealing with the heat during the days but most enjoyable part was definitely the customer interaction and the experience of working at the stampede.
Fun workplace!!
Guest ambassador (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 October 2018
I worked at the Calgary Stampede for the first time not gonna lie it was not a bad experience. Meeting new people was amazing everyone who I worked with was so nice,I worked at the zip line I would say it was a good experience for me. My breaks were fine only for 20 mins or half a hour once,but everything else was good. I got okay hours too!
Pros
Discount on meals and got to ride the zipline for free
Cons
Standing for long periods of times
Event Supervisor
Event Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2018
Great company to work for. Yes, there are times that long hours are required and sometimes there are not enough hours. I did really enjoy the company.
Pros
Being part of the greatest outdoor show on earth
Cons
long-late shifts/ shift work
good location but boring work
Guest Ambassador/Security (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 September 2018
The location was easy to get too but it was the only fun aspect of the job, the work seemed pointless and the supervisor was lazy and seemed unmotivated
Pros
free access to the stampede
Cons
boring work
Fun and professional workplace
Diversity and Indigenous Youth Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 September 2018
-Fun
-Energetic
-Professional
-Positive work space
-Great Hours
-Great staff
-Always maintained (very clean environment)
-Food is delicious
-Great place to learn
Perfect first job
Guest ambassador (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 September 2018
the supervisors were very respectful and nice. It definitely gave me a sense of how a work place works and it showed me skills that I didn't know I had even as a person. I was shown different tasks and it was able to work in the work conditions they gave. it was fun and I would work there again. A good two weeks of my life. Maybe it was a bit tiring having to work every single day but you can adjust that as long as you communicate with your supervisors. Working all 2 week of stampede can do a number on you but it was definitely something I would not take back as It gave me an ideal first job work space.
It was amazing
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 September 2018
I loved that I got 40% off at any stampede food place and that I got to meet new people . Cleaning the bathroom was important because everyone loves a clean bathroom
Pros
50% off of food
Cons
very fun environment, lovely people.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 September 2018
Working for the Calgary Stampede has been a expeirence I will not forget. I will always keep on coming back to volenteer as the years go on and to do what ever I can to help facilitate the fair grounds or any lunchs/breakfasts/dinners.
Pros
Free lunches and meeting people
Cons
Can get hot
Fun atmosphere, great place to meet new people
Park Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 September 2018
Very fun place to work. A lot of great people to make new friends with.

If you're in park maintenance you're going to be walking around a lot so wear comfortable shoes.

Don't wear your nice clothes either because you will be handling garbage, and most of the garbages leak so you don't want that garbage juice on your nice clothes.

If you're in a group with others, talk to them and make friends with them. It'll make the job be less of a chore and you'll actually meet awesome people and have a lot of fun. I was basically getting paid to talk to people and it felt awesome. I forgot that we were even cleaning up the park and changing the garbage cans. One of the best summers I have ever had and I met a lot of cool people here. You just have to be open to conversation and you'll have a good time.
Pros
Meeting new people, getting paid, free rides (1 day)
Cons
Out in the sun all day, two 15 min breaks and one 1 hour lunch break, Alot of walking if you're doing park maintenance
Fast Paced, Busy Days, Lots of people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 September 2018
You deal first hand with with thousands of people coming to enjoy the Calgary stampede. makes the environment more uplifting and enjoyable to work in.
Excellent company culture and people to work with....
Administrative Assistant for Executive Management (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 September 2018
Hardest part was lack of job security. Management was evasive and lacked direction for employees. The most enjoyable part of the job was being part of company that lived their culture. Learned tremendous amount - wore many hats and was presented with situations outside of scope of normal. Wonderful people and job minus confused management.
Pros
Company Culture