Calgary Stampede Employee Reviews

Fun and professional workplace
Diversity and Indigenous Youth Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 September 2018
-Fun
-Energetic
-Professional
-Positive work space
-Great Hours
-Great staff
-Always maintained (very clean environment)
-Food is delicious
-Great place to learn
Perfect first job
Guest ambassador (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 September 2018
the supervisors were very respectful and nice. It definitely gave me a sense of how a work place works and it showed me skills that I didn't know I had even as a person. I was shown different tasks and it was able to work in the work conditions they gave. it was fun and I would work there again. A good two weeks of my life. Maybe it was a bit tiring having to work every single day but you can adjust that as long as you communicate with your supervisors. Working all 2 week of stampede can do a number on you but it was definitely something I would not take back as It gave me an ideal first job work space.
It was amazing
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 September 2018
I loved that I got 40% off at any stampede food place and that I got to meet new people . Cleaning the bathroom was important because everyone loves a clean bathroom
Pros
50% off of food
Cons
very fun environment, lovely people.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 September 2018
Working for the Calgary Stampede has been a expeirence I will not forget. I will always keep on coming back to volenteer as the years go on and to do what ever I can to help facilitate the fair grounds or any lunchs/breakfasts/dinners.
Pros
Free lunches and meeting people
Cons
Can get hot
Fun atmosphere, great place to meet new people
Park Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 September 2018
Very fun place to work. A lot of great people to make new friends with.

If you're in park maintenance you're going to be walking around a lot so wear comfortable shoes.

Don't wear your nice clothes either because you will be handling garbage, and most of the garbages leak so you don't want that garbage juice on your nice clothes.

If you're in a group with others, talk to them and make friends with them. It'll make the job be less of a chore and you'll actually meet awesome people and have a lot of fun. I was basically getting paid to talk to people and it felt awesome. I forgot that we were even cleaning up the park and changing the garbage cans. One of the best summers I have ever had and I met a lot of cool people here. You just have to be open to conversation and you'll have a good time.
Pros
Meeting new people, getting paid, free rides (1 day)
Cons
Out in the sun all day, two 15 min breaks and one 1 hour lunch break, Alot of walking if you're doing park maintenance
Excellent company culture and people to work with....
Administrative Assistant for Executive Management (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 September 2018
Hardest part was lack of job security. Management was evasive and lacked direction for employees. The most enjoyable part of the job was being part of company that lived their culture. Learned tremendous amount - wore many hats and was presented with situations outside of scope of normal. Wonderful people and job minus confused management.
Pros
Company Culture
Cons
Very stressful and loud environment.
Door Host (Former Employee) –  Calgary, YYC31 August 2018
I worked 10 of the 11 days of stamped. The staff and managers in my venue were overall very kind and helpful yet I would not recommend this job if you get easily stressed out or anxious.
Pros
discounts on certain foods, overall good staff
Cons
very stressful
Fun and Interesting workplace
Guest Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 August 2018
A typical workday involves waking up early in the morning to get dressed into your uniform, have breakfast, and for many people they take public transportation to the workplace. I've learned how to persevere and also gained more confidence in public speaking while working at the park gates.
Pros
learning experience, discounts off of food, free accessibility to the grandstands
Cons
Long hours, short breaks
The Guests at Calgary Stampede
Cleaner/Guest Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Big Four/Midway/Near Grandstand20 August 2018
Since Calgary Stampede is welcome to anyone from Calgary or anywhere in the world, there are bound to be lots of questions. We are expected to greet and try to help the guests if needed. Mangement is okay because there are different kinds of jobs and different managers. The schedule they give you is what you get and can't change it for the 10 days or even more. So if you booked off a day and you didn't get it, the managers can't do anything about it.
Pros
Employee discounts on food
Cons
Schedule not really what you want.
Great coworkers but can get boring and tedious after a whilte
Gate Attendant, Stampede (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 August 2018
Working part-time for the Calgary Stampede can be both enjoyable and slogging. The people you work with tend to be great fun but the work itself gets incredibly boring and repetitive. The management is okay and understanding but they change year to year, which is good to know. Overall, if you can tolerate the heat, long hours standing and the repetitiveness, the people you work with can definitely make up for it.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Long hours standing

Want to know more about Calgary Stampede?

Ask a question
good place to work
Venue Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 August 2018
The stampede is a good place to work with great people theres just not always that much to do there. The job can be pretty slow but involves many perks.
Driven and Productive Work Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 August 2018
Working at the Calgary Stampede was a very eye opening experience. The people that you work with are helpful and very friendly. They train you right from the get go. People are always willing to help.
Pros
Working with good people
Fun
Venue Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 August 2018
It was very fun. I got meet lots of great people while making some summer money. Everyone was very nice and my team lead was always looking out for us. I have no complaints.
Productive and Fun work environment
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 July 2018
Highly motivated work place with a fun environment to work in. Provided lots of opportunity for growth and self development within a safe working environment
Exciting fun place to work with a real impact on the city
Business Solutions Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 July 2018
If you want to be part of an experience that is internationally recognized and has tremendous local support this is a great place to work. There is a real commitment to teamwork and being part of the community.
Great place to work.
Track specialist & Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 July 2018
Very accommodating, great money and great people. Learned many new skills. Hardest part of my job was the long hours but well worth it. Loved the fact you were pretty independent.
Fun Work Place, bad management
Parking Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 July 2018
fun at the begin, people where nice. management was some of the worst i have ever seen in my life. working conditions where horrible vary little hours would not recommend
Can be Stressing
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 July 2018
Firstly, I'll describe my initial idea of the job before accepting it.

I had multiple choices, but signed up for Venue services because it honestly sounded like something fancy/ something that would give me a challenge (the good kind) and a leading role. Anyway... it turned out to be cleaning washrooms.

Well... it certainly did give me a challenge-- physically and mentally. This includes cleaning up after people who purposely leave a mess (clogged toilets, feces, etc.), and also dealing with rude customers.

That being said, I did try to make the most out of the job. I greeted people at the door, talked to people, and did the best cleaning I could. In turn, I got to meet many fascinating people and hear their stories.

My effort and work were definitely appreciated by many of the people who came. I got to grow as an individual, as I am now more socially confident and am not as grossed out by... vomit for example. That being said, this is a job that just doesn't give the benefit and salary it should deserve because it is certainly tiring... and imagine being in a hot washroom with the scent of feces and urine for 6+ hours (without sitting for a lot of it). Cleaning up a flooded washroom from a clogged toilet is the worse, especially when some customers want to come in regardless of me telling them I'm cleaning...

Now... for the management team. All I have to say is that they're not very organized. There are some individuals who go on breaks when they shouldn't, and some people who are just bad at dealing with certain scenarios. This job is definitely a team
  more... effort, and some people drag down the ship.

So, in short... while I don't regret working here because I got a lot of it, it definitely isn't worth it for what you get (minimum wage, dirty environment, the loud and angry drunks that use the washroom, etc.). Other roles such as guest ambassador, and PERHAPS food services would have been better.
Pros
Meeting people, learning new things, experience of being at the stampede, free entry
Cons
Long hours, tiring, stressful, dirty environment, having to deal with certain customers and co-workers
enjoyable if you get to know the people around you
Grounds Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 July 2018
This job is good for those who don't want to be stuck in a tent or standing around all day as there is lots of walking around all day. It includes both walking around the grandstand and infield to collect bottles from the stands and the recycle cans and then bringing them to the sorting area to sort. This job is more enjoyable if you know those around you as it helps pass the time a little faster and is more fun. Even though it can get hot during stampede, the bottle sorting takes place in a shaded tent where it is cooler.
Pros
flexible hours, active job (always something to do), sanitation in the sorting area
Cons
longer hours, the repetition
Fun Atmosphere
Stock Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2018
Great atmosphere to work and great opportunity to meet a lot of people that you can stay connected with after you leave. Everyone is really friendly and then at the end of the stampede the employees have a party together.