Calgary Police Service

Calgary Police Service Employee Reviews

Canada27 reviews

Dynamic and Team-Oriented Workplace

Calgary Police Service (CPS) is the third largest police service in Canada. The demographic of the organization is one that is young and innovative, providing compassionate and respectful service to the citizens of Calgary, a community of over 1.3 million. The composition of the service mirrors that of its citizenry. The work performed by the members of the organization is community centered. CPS members are proud of and, at the same time, humbled by the fact that year over year polling has confirmed that over 90% of the community is very satisfied by the service provided. Responding to over 800,000 calls for service, the 2200 member organization provides a high level of service. Shifts are fast-paced, often dynamic and call for leadership, courage, as well as, superior communication and problem solving skills.

Pros

Team based, fast-paced, continuous learning, leadership opportunities, meaningful work, problem solving, communication, bettering the commmunity

Cons

Shift work, stress and paperwork.

An organization that actively rewards failure

In 11 years with the CPS, I have seen a culture that actively rewards failure, fails to recognize and adopt best practice and despite all the abundant evidence still regards it’s self as ‘the best.’ The internal competition processes are designed to provide an excuse to the unsuccessful candidate rather than select the best and are largely window dressing…

Pros

Decent money

Cons

Caustic environment

If you are looking at Emergency Services, consider the Fire Department or RCMP

You will be working alongside some GREAT people. However, with the good comes the bad. This organization has significant internal bias issues to work through. Although HR reform was promised, it has never materialized. The organization is slowly crumbling internally. This will impact public safety in the long run. STAY AWAY!!

Pros

Nice car

Cons

Pretty much EVERYTHING else

One rotten apple ruins the bunch

No process in place to hold a bad supervisor accountable for his actions. Employees are not treated with dignity and respect and have to choose to leave their positions because of this.

Pros

Coworkers

Cons

Workload is unrealistic

Spent 22 years at CPS; great people. Regardless of the current political climate, there will always be a need for police, and CPS is a great place to work!

Not what I envisioned.

Naively thought I was going to make a difference and help people...as I've read in other reviews....it's your coworkers that make CPS an ok place to work. Yes the pay and benefits are great...but soon...as your soul withers away it just isn't enough. The job itself isn't overly stressful. It is the BS from the upper management that ultimately will kill it for you.

A calling, not just a job

The job is incredible and you pay a price. Wonderful, often inspirational co-workers. The politics are terrible and if you expect justice or support from an employer, look elsewhere.

Excellent career . I really enjoyed the work the people and public would recommend

Very exciting career. I cant think of any other job that I would have traded for. I would do all over again. Not a dull moment. Many opportunities , Including K9 , Drugs , Crime scenes , Air support unit , School resources, Front line duties are considered the most exciting as you are the first at any and all scenes.Lots of opportunities for specialized units as well as promotions.

training

This was a police academy camp for juniors it wasn't a job, but it was very interesting and a good experience for the future if you are looking for experience in being a cop

World class organization.

A leader in law enforcement in Canada, CPS is a competitive and highly sought after place of work. Advancement is merit based with ample training opportunities through all levels of the service.

excellent experience

volunteer position with great perks, lots of training, great coworkers, constantly earning new things positive environment great way to learn about what its like to be involved in law enforcement

Pros

best place i have worked at

Cons

on call shifts

Suffering growth and change managemnet pains at the moment

In my role as a therapist and instructor there was a great need for my services. Lots of pain with many of the other workers making wellness and psychology and mentoring very interesting as you could see quick results.

Pros

High profile

Cons

Stress

For the most part a great Police Service to work for

I am very proud of my career with the Calgary police service. I would recommend it to anybody interested in a policing career. It certainly can be stressful at times and is one of the few careers were being murdered is a potential job hazard. Making a difference and saving lives at times more than makes up for the negativity this type of job

Pros

A great pension

Cons

Shift work and stress

This place is a great place to work on projects. The work can be intense at times to met deadlines however. Lot's of opportunities to learn new skills.

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

politics

Fulfilling, Exciting, Educational and helps you grow personally

Fulfilling and exciting place to work. Very rarely were you bored . Everyday was a learning experience. Helped you to open your mind and look beyond the obvious. Made you think outside the box and solve problems. A typical day went from being busy doing paperwork to high speed pursuits and volatile situations. I learned to be open and a good listener. I learned to filter through things to get to the truth of a matter. Management only came into the picture in the most extreme circumstances and allowed you to think for yourself. The workplace is something only those who work there would understand as it is personal to all outsiders, but open to those inside. The hardest part of the job is the political aspects. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction garnered from helping others.

Pros

Freedom to act on your own initiative. Benefits and family atmosphere within.

Cons

Politics

productive, fun, and challenging.

great working environment. Each day is a different day with new challenges. positive team work atmosphere.............................................

Law Enforcement

It is a paramilitary organization with positive and forward thinking in mind. As many who have a law enforcement background understands there is not a typical day for members on the street - that is the biggest draw. Like any large organization it has positives and negatives, but mostly positive. I caution what you receive through media as it only paints one side typically negative or a narrow perspective of the Service as a whole.

This was my career. 25 years and miss it still on occasion

The best job really. It was never the same day twice. Room for advancement and lateral transfers. Always look back at it with mostly fond memories. Well, except for certain aspects of course.

Pros

Good career choice

Cons

None that I am aware of

The opportunity to work in diverse fields make this a great job. The job satisfaction comes from within yourself save for the odd management recognition. You get to truly make positive differences in some peoples lives. Those positive differences in a few people outweigh all the negative aspect of our criminal justice system. Beware of bullying behavior by management. These incidents come from only a 1 percent fraction

Pros

diverse fields

Fun place

Great teamwork and atmosphere. Learned a lot about myself and improved myself. Dealing with the public taught me a great deal about how to deal with different types of people

Pros

good people

Cons

stress

I really enjoyed my time at the Calgary Police Service

Typical day at work would be very busy and fast paced. I really enjoyed the interaction with the people at sworn and civilian. I had a great boss who was willing to teach me and give me feedback on the work that I was doing.

Pros

They paid well and had great benefits

Cons

After 34 years I needed a change

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calgary Police Service. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2