Calgary Immigrant Women's Association

Calgary Immigrant Women's Association Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Ciwa
Pebbles In The Sand and LINC Tutor // Instructor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 March 2018
CIWA lost the idea about how to correspond to their mission and vision. The women who work there are not empowered, but treated like slaves. The typical teacher working day: 19 hours a day if you want to have a good salary; no benefits.
A current employee
current employee (Current Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta8 June 2017
There is no typical day as things are always changing. I am learning self-advocacy. The management needs to change and it needs to change now!!!Some days the environment reminds me of a high school playground. The hardest part of the job is working with very insecure people who feel threatened and therefore are always on defense. You are always watching your back-very toxic. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with clients!!!!!
Pros
Some programs are awesome
Cons
Office politics on a grand scale
Great work environment for women
RECEPTIONIST/ ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 February 2017
I volunteer as a receptionist and as an administrative assistant on regular basis. I enjoy volunteering with CIWA because I am keen on helping immigrants who seek services and I make a great assistant and receive many complements from the staff members. They really appreciate and recognize the effort of volunteers. It's a great place to earn Canadian work experience for a newcomer like me.
Rewarding job working with women in need
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 July 2013
Great place to work if you want to make a difference in the lives of immigrant women. Typical Calgary non-profit salaries, good hours, reasonable benefits.
Pros
Good hours, reasonable benefits
Cons
Downtown office
Awesome place but stay away from two departments including the executive director
Facilitator  (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB 29 May 2013
Beautiful place where immigrant women can find encouragement, connection and support. Good place for the clients. But If you want to work there, just BE CAREFUL. Stay away from the settlement and employment department. The managers are quite known by their totally lack of empathy, support and people skills. It is hard to work in those departments due the excess of work, poor recognition and micro management. Good workers normally don't last very long there because it seems a very toxic work environment.
Please don't apply for the assistant position to work for the executive director, she has a horrible reputation and nobody lasts in that position either. I believe since she started as a director more than 10 assistants have either quit, left without notice or fired. Nobody understands how the board of the directors has never done anything regarding the behavior of the Director. When I worked there, I witnessed how she was behaving like a real dictator and quite often she would be humiliating people in public like nothing! I don't think she is a bad person but definitely she has an abusive personality and it is hard to understand how someone like that can still be in charge of a such nice place like CIWA.
Pros
Helping other, clients, community support
Cons
Money, some managers, executive director
fun workplace with a lot of multi-cultural activities
Financial Assistant / Accounts Payable (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 July 2012
My responsibility is pay Cheque Requisition. I should pay attention to the numbers, days, names and classes. My co-workers are very nice. I found it was difficult to get more works to do and the most enjoyable part of the job was giving cheques to employees by hand.
Pros
free lunch time, not work so long
Cons
benefit not good
Fun workplace with interative
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Calgary Alberta2 April 2012
lots of the things that I haven't learned before.
Learn and success
Pros
meeting people
Cons
lifting

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calgary Immigrant Women's Association. Our community is ready to answer.

Calgary Immigrant Women's Association Reviews by Location