Calgary Drop-In & Rehab Centre Society

Calgary Drop-In & Rehab Centre Society Employee Reviews

Canada11 reviews
I worked at Calgary Drop-in centre for six months as a casual employee. To be honest, they have amazing supervisors and awsome co-workers who are very supportive. Sometimes, long-time staff are bossy, but do not allow them to push you around. Some medical problems arose, and I started not picking up shifts. I was immediately fired. No warning. No inquiry. It's ironic given their mental health spiel about employees. Next time, inquire before firing.

I
My overall experience was heart warming due to how I was able to take an act of kindness to help prep and serve food for the homeless, while leaving smiles on their faces e. It was an opportunity I was glad to participate.
If you want to make a difference with clients and the street life - don’t work here. You will be burnt out quickly. The employees that do well here, keep their mouths shut and their head down. When you express your concerns, you are ignored. Lots of staff favourism. You will be given a bunch of shifts and great training and then all of a sudden you won’t have any shifts. You need to “fit in” with the senior staff - or you are a goner.Team Omega in the overnights is fantastic - but again, if you are there for the right reasons - you will be disappointed.
fun time volunteering. Did it with a school group in leadership class. The wokers where very polite and had a very good attitude. They where able to demonstrate the jobs needing to be done. Had a very good time.
Working in Calgary drop in centre is not for everyone, one have to have a strong heart, because clients will yell at you, curse you or can just be violent all of a sudden. It is an emotionally and psychologically stressful work environment. The Organization does a lot to help clients who are homeless , and the Organization serves a good purpose in Calgary. Too much gossip among front line staffs
Pros: Free food, good benefits, serving humanity

Cons: Stressful work environment, Clients can be violent, It is not an easy workplace for introverts.
Funny story, I volunteered at Drop-in when I was in high school and I like it. I never thought, I would return 2 years later.
The Calgary Drop-in has given me a life time experience.
Unless you enjoy working short handed, having no breaks, no lunch hour. Eating a meal on the fly. Having clients abuse you with little to no consequences then keep looking. Since management change and revamping its nothing to do with helping humanity. The drop in centre is in crisis but management doesn’t care. For your own safety DO NOT WORK THERE.
Pros
Good benefits and RRSP
Cons
No breaks, uncaring management, high stress, heavy workload
If you don't mind being on your feet for 8 hours with little rest and lots of excitement, this is a good place to be an Adult Care Worker! The DI is Western Canada's largest homeless shelter with nearly 1500 people nightly in the winter. Lots of logistical work, getting people to where they need to be, feeding people, providing basic need supplies. Lots of paitence and a good sense of humor required. The pay could be better and some of the staff are... werid. But I enjoyed it while I could stand it (literally, my feet were dying after two winters)
Pros
Free food, Excitement, Learning
Cons
Stressful, Physically Demanding, Unsafe at times.
Like any organization you are going to have your pros and cons, but there were more pros. My boss, mentor is an intelligent, compassionate person who balanced the needs of the organization and employees to ensure the vision and mission moved forward. The position provided me the opportunity to learn and grow in my industry and personally.
Pros
Boss, Frontline Employees, Impact, Hope, Benefits, Perks, Development Opportunity, Workload
Cons
Workload, Long hours, Seeing people in their darkest of days
I enjoy the work environment. My work day will consist of many different job tasks, which include for example: daily data entry, dealing with the public, taking care of office supplies to taking deposits to the bank. My day goes by quickly because I am responsible for so many different tasks. I do not need direction from my superiors. I work with a fabulous team of people and I am always willing to help others when I can. I also plan special events for example, the yearly staff xmas function which can be up to 250 people. The hardest part of my job is that it is a one person position which know one else can do. I manage my time very well and work extra hours without being asked to complete the tasks of each day. I have also learned on the job accounting tasks that doesn't take long for me to do. My salary has more than doubled since 2007 because of my hard work and determination to better myself.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Calgary Drop-In & Rehab Centre Society?
It is difficult to define a typical day at the DI. Working in HR has many challenges, and many situations arise in a course of one day. But, this is great for a persons personal/career growth because it opens your mind to your strengths and weaknesses,

You are trying to build a culture that embodies the core values of : respect, joy, inclusivity, earned leadership, and accountability
Pros
Your direct team, your direct supervisor, front-line staff, and other people within the agency
Cons
None for the Agency, but there are some insignificant cons that are not worth mentioning
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calgary Drop-In & Rehab Centre Society. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8