Calgary Co-operative Association Limited Employee Reviews

Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 November 2018
Stable job, people are friendly, co workers are more than willing to help you out. Lots of people both young and old work here, all love working at this place
Not bad if you just want a pay cheque, can be frustrating environment to work in.
Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 November 2018
- Was once a fun place to work and enjoyed working with staff.
- Work loads are often left for one or two "responsible" employees, while other staff are permitted to leave the job incomplete.
- Management can often be "afraid" of holding staff accountable.
- Often asked to meet ridiculous demand schedules.
- Required to achieve "Daily production values" and often felt bullied if the demand out weighed the product made.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Lazy Co-workers, weak store level management
Productive and fun place to work
Customer Service Office Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 October 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Calgary Coop. Staff were fun, and it felt like a family, team environment. We had tons of fun working hard and laughing together. Good pay, good benefits, room for improvement. Great place to work.
An overall fair place to work.
Barista & Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 October 2018
Co-Op is a good job place to work when you need it. Many stores will offer a lot of different positions that you may be able to switch between.

Workplace culture is a mix and hard to point. Overall it's not a cold place, but not necessarily a warm and inviting place either.
Pros
Relaxed Job. Good Job Security.
Cons
Can become very boring. Benefits are minimal.
A well know retailer in the Calgary Area
Organizational Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 August 2018
An excellent business to work for generally - well structured and organized. Provides stable working environment and opportunities for growth for all employees
okay
Work (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 July 2018
the manager was okay but didn't understand or cooperate with you. When asking for fewer hours he threatened to fire me because he wanted me to work at least 12 hours a week
Management problem
Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 June 2018
Management problem, amateurs. sometimes unfair.
Stressful.
Managers and head office is not treating employees properly, sometimes I feel some positions are meant for specific category of people.
High turn-over rate
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
see my review
Poor Management at every level
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 June 2018
There is a culture of us against them - Management against the Union and unionized employees. Managers are never held accountable and employees are under appreciated.
Pros
Limited benefits and pension
Cons
Long hours, inconsistent schedules, aggressive managers
Very competitive Market
Produce Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 June 2018
The grocery business is a very competitive market focusing on the bottom line. Used to be a very great place to build a career however now a days they focus more on part time workers. I always found it a friendly place to work.
Pros
friendly atmosphere
Cons
Tough to build a career
Fast paced work environment with organized shift functions
Service Clerk - Bakery Department (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 June 2018
Calgary Co-op is a service oriented grocery retailer. Customer service is huge is every department. You are required to break out, proof, bake, package and display the products. It is a lot of repetitive tasks and some are physically demanding. You are required to work at a fast pace.
Pros
good working environment (clean, spaciou etc.)
Cons
very fast paced and physically demanding
Productive workplace
Gas Bar Attendant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB30 April 2018
A typical day at work for me especially on a Monday or Friday would be: I go in for my shift and ask the previous shift if the order came in yet. If not, I wait until it comes in from Keelings and sign off on the invoice so the driver can leave. I give the tobacco sheet to the cashier along with the box of tobacco and let her check it all off while i do the rest. Fridays are usually busy while I check off the invoice I am also watching outside at the pumps, watching propane and also helping the cashier inside watching the tills and keeping an eye on customers as they walk in.
Cons
No benefits at all
Fair
Front End Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB26 April 2018
Most of CO-OP for me was just a job out of highschool, I did enjoy working with my co workers and managers. I learned as much as i could in regards to produce, generally speaking i worked night shift to close the store and enjoyed the time alone.
great temporary job
Produce Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 March 2018
Coop was a great place to work, 5 years ago. If you do decide to work here, do not plan on advancing in the company. Head office chooses people in other departments with no experience for manager positions in which they have no idea how to handle. Or, they hire people who have never worked for coop and have no idea how the company works.
It was a laid-back place, but now we have scheduled breaks, no I'm not a cashier so there is no reason for me to have a scheduled break. You have to get a manager to sign off if you want to change it at all, oh and don't forget it has to be a GOOD reason.
With the new contract (coop is unionized), part time people do not have the potential to have more than the guaranteed hours, while casual employees have the option to get 40 hours, even though they get no benefits. This is great if you are getting hired for a casual position, which is most likely what will happen since coop does not hire supervisors or part time's unless they absolutely have to.
Long story short, coop is a unionized company, with a controlling head office that wants to get rid of their long-standing, loyal employees that have benefits and guaranteed hours and replace them with casual part-time employees who get paid less.
This is a great place to work if you are a student, you really need a job or a temporary second job. This is not a place to advance or grow with, and if you don't believe me, stay there for a few years and you'll watch just as I have, the company disappoint you over and over again.
Pros
unionized, flexible, awesome staff, guaranteed raises
Cons
no hours, terrible upper management, no advancement, high expectations
this job sucked
merchandiser/stocker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 February 2018
I worked at the Calgary co-op in taradale NE and it was the worst job in my life. your coworkers are experienced from 10 to over 40 years of experience which means if you're new then they'll boss you around. lots of politics and spies in that place. the salary was like 250 dollars a month which was like a slap in the face. this place needs a management overhaul.
Pros
there were no pros lol
Cons
lots lots lots
Work Exprience
Market Clerk (Former Employee) –  Crowchild, AB19 February 2018
It was a fast-paced work environment which I admired, however, mistakes were not allowed to be made in any way. The management did not take kindly if you called in sick. there was a lot to commend Co-op for, however, the job was not suited for me.
Pros
great work exprience
Cons
bad management
rude co workers
Grocery Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 February 2018
every single person whom i worked with was full of themselves, closed minded, and didn't seem to care about the job at all. there were a few who did...
Pros
easy job
Cons
rude coworkers
Fun working with everyone
Retail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2018
Retail work where you get health benefits.
Sometimes hard work but fun working in a team.
Employee discounts are rebated at the end of the year.
Not very flexible, expected to work when management pleases.
Was a great place to work.
Rocky Ridge - Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2018
It was an overall great environment to be in. I enjoyed every day I was there! I loved everyone that worked there, we all got along great and I enjoyed the customers that came in!
Excellent Employer
Director of Leasing (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 December 2017
Great group of people at Co-op, Management is keen, and attentive, much work to be done on the systems and data management in the Real Estate Dept. Really enjoyed the people and culture. Frustrated at delays and methods.
Pros
Great Culture
Cons
Too focused on cost cutting, and not what's causing the losses
good place to work great co workers
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 November 2017
typically you are outside for most of your shift
either refueling peoples cars checking the oil and fluid levels
refilling propane tanks as well as helping those people who do not know how to add air to their tires / checking tire pressure (yes some people do not know how to do this )
Pros
free uniform and weather gear
Cons
outside

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calgary Co-operative Association Limited. Our community is ready to answer.

Calgary Co-operative Association Limited Reviews by Location