Calgary Co-operative Association Limited

Calgary Co-operative Association Limited Employee Reviews

Canada141 reviews
If you're looking for a good place to work this is it
absolutely great place for personal growth, and they treat their staff so amazingly well, from 20 min breaks instead of 15 min breaks, great pension and health benefits. They do special events to show they care for staff by renting out Calaway park for the day with free admission and free big , cool toys for all the kids.
Co-op is a great place and think it suits everyone
Wasn't worth the pay grade
There's so much to do, so little time. not worth minimum wage. confusing schedule and strict managers. Very little tolerance for common human mistakes, such as forgetting a small detail.
Worthwhile job experience during GAP year(s)
At Calgary Co-op I learned about providing quality customer service within a grocery / retail environment. They provided employee training to become a cashier and service clerk, allowing staff to comfortably manage the position. My colleagues were enjoyable to work with and some of them became personal friends. Management was quick to respond to situations where help and guidance were needed for employees.
What do you expect?
It's a grocery store. They dont take care of you, generally abuse you, and make it seem like it's your fault. I understand we need people working these jobs but someone needs to protect these kids
Ok Boomer
Basically it's run by a bunch of old people that would be totally cool with you burning yourself out and working long hours, rather than working smart
Pros
Good pay, Good benefits
Cons
Long hours, horrible schedules, burn out, old inefficient leaders, management out of touch
enjoyed working with the staff
There was good staff at the location I was at. I was unhappy with the main management and it became a stressful work environment. Most of the department managers were good to work with.
Good place to work.
Very friendly. Good pay. Understanding. Very good training I all departments oh&s are top notch. Clean stores and very friendly management. They are always doing things to help the neighbors very involved with the community. They care about there staff and have a calico club to celebrate the staff with different games.
Slow pace
Fantastic place to work although on the lesser busy days and nights shifts it would tend to feel like forever due to the lack of customers coming into the storefront past 9 pm.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Calgary Co-operative Association Limited?
Room for growth
They give everyone an opportunity to grow within this company and the managers have always been easy to talk to. I have lots of experience now in customer service as well as problem solving
Good start
Good starting point form anyone looking a thier frist part time job. Not good for people looking to move up in the company. Hours are not what a person needs.
A Stable and Rewarding Place to Work
My time at the Calgary Co-op bakery was very rewarding considering the part-time nature of the position. As a bakery utility clerk, my typical day at work would involve completing baking quotas and cleaning equipment while interacting regularly with customers. The management was always helpful and there was a high-degree of stability in my shift schedules and the workplace culture was overall very welcoming.
Great for students
If you want a quality of life not sure this is the place for you , great for students. Unionized so the pay is the same whether you work hard or stand around .
Okay job with the right management
Okay place to work. Pay isn't terrible, it's what you'd expect from a grocery store. They are all about memberships so that's a big thing they push for. They seem like they want to be Superstore, but their prices sure can't compete. Some of the staff are great people to work with and friendly. Some of the management could use some serious work. Some of them are really nice and friendly and others act like they're better than you because they're management. For example if you have past experience in your field it doesn't really matter because they won't promote or train you in other jobs, they'll just pick and choose who they want or they'll hire someone new just for certain jobs. Hours suck. Sometimes you could get 30+ and other times you could get 8. They only hire casual so you don't get sick pay. Personally I think if you work here it should only be until something else comes along. The last thing you want it's to get stuck there in a dead end position.
Pros
Free Membership
Cons
Hours suck, management could use some work, expensive, training not great.
Worst management
Worked for over a year there never had an issue until the manager was caught for stealing and then all of that managers hires got forced to quit because they accused all of us of stealing when none of us did. I liked the job itself and really enjoyed working there it was the perfect starter job for me. I was not aware of how to fight it just learning and felt that it wasn't worth it at the time. Be very careful there. Since management changed it's been awful. They don't train properly anymore and they do everything to not allow for growth. They will hire someone with no experience and cheaper so you can't move up.
Cons
Management issues
Good place to work and very friendly
I worked at coop for 3.5 years and always found it to be enjoyable until my last boss screwed me over by reducing my hours and going over my seniority and giving the supervisor job to a employee beneath me,
Good first job
It was a great first job with many flexibilities and opportunities to grow, I learned a considerable amount about life and working. It gave me my first taste of the working world and helped me develop many skills; such as customer service, retail, telephones, leadership skills, etcetera.
Pros
Flexible shifts, Opportunity to advance
Cons
Sometimes negative job culture
fun workplace with great opportunities
upper management does not have a good grasp on how not to spread people thinly, you do way too much out of your job description and they pile it on more and more until you snap. they also don’t ask how the department managers are because they can be good or terrible and some input would be nice.
Pros
moving up, pay raises
Cons
they don’t care about employee well being
Ok place to work
Fair employer, flexible scheduling promotes from with in, normally good work environment sometimes standards and expectations can be a little dicey and your hard work will go unnoticed.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Allot of sick calls
Management Training Urgently Needed
Managers go unchecked and lack people skills. Many are verbally abusive and literally yell at staff in front of customers. Self esteem is destroyed!
Pros
Pension Plan
Cons
Extremely hard work with no management respect
Good Team
Team oriented job, generally everyone knows what they need to do and gets it done on time. Everyone works well together and focuses on goals while still being a fairly casual environment.
Pros
Paid breaks
Great place to work at as a student
The hours are good and flexible and managers try to accommodate for all types of hours for all types of students. The work-life balance is decent enough. I would recommend it to students.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calgary Co-operative Association Limited. Our community is ready to answer.
Calgary Co-operative Association Limited Reviews by Location