Calgary Co-operative Association Limited Employee Reviews

Fast paced work environment with organized shift functions
Service Clerk - Bakery Department (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 June 2018
Calgary Co-op is a service oriented grocery retailer. Customer service is huge is every department. You are required to break out, proof, bake, package and display the products. It is a lot of repetitive tasks and some are physically demanding. You are required to work at a fast pace.
Pros
good working environment (clean, spaciou etc.)
Cons
very fast paced and physically demanding
Productive workplace
Gas Bar Attendant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB30 April 2018
A typical day at work for me especially on a Monday or Friday would be: I go in for my shift and ask the previous shift if the order came in yet. If not, I wait until it comes in from Keelings and sign off on the invoice so the driver can leave. I give the tobacco sheet to the cashier along with the box of tobacco and let her check it all off while i do the rest. Fridays are usually busy while I check off the invoice I am also watching outside at the pumps, watching propane and also helping the cashier inside watching the tills and keeping an eye on customers as they walk in.
Cons
No benefits at all
Fair
Front End Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB26 April 2018
Most of CO-OP for me was just a job out of highschool, I did enjoy working with my co workers and managers. I learned as much as i could in regards to produce, generally speaking i worked night shift to close the store and enjoyed the time alone.
great temporary job
Produce Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 March 2018
Coop was a great place to work, 5 years ago. If you do decide to work here, do not plan on advancing in the company. Head office chooses people in other departments with no experience for manager positions in which they have no idea how to handle. Or, they hire people who have never worked for coop and have no idea how the company works.
It was a laid-back place, but now we have scheduled breaks, no I'm not a cashier so there is no reason for me to have a scheduled break. You have to get a manager to sign off if you want to change it at all, oh and don't forget it has to be a GOOD reason.
With the new contract (coop is unionized), part time people do not have the potential to have more than the guaranteed hours, while casual employees have the option to get 40 hours, even though they get no benefits. This is great if you are getting hired for a casual position, which is most likely what will happen since coop does not hire supervisors or part time's unless they absolutely have to.
Long story short, coop is a unionized company, with a controlling head office that wants to get rid of their long-standing, loyal employees that have benefits and guaranteed hours and replace them with casual part-time employees who get paid less.
This is a great place to work if you are a student, you really need a job or a temporary second job. This is not a place to advance or grow with, and if you don't believe me, stay there for a few years and you'll watch just as I have, the company disappoint you over and over again.
Pros
unionized, flexible, awesome staff, guaranteed raises
Cons
no hours, terrible upper management, no advancement, high expectations
this job sucked
merchandiser/stocker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 February 2018
I worked at the Calgary co-op in taradale NE and it was the worst job in my life. your coworkers are experienced from 10 to over 40 years of experience which means if you're new then they'll boss you around. lots of politics and spies in that place. the salary was like 250 dollars a month which was like a slap in the face. this place needs a management overhaul.
Pros
there were no pros lol
Cons
lots lots lots
Work Exprience
Market Clerk (Former Employee) –  Crowchild, AB19 February 2018
It was a fast-paced work environment which I admired, however, mistakes were not allowed to be made in any way. The management did not take kindly if you called in sick. there was a lot to commend Co-op for, however, the job was not suited for me.
Pros
great work exprience
Cons
bad management
rude co workers
Grocery Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 February 2018
every single person whom i worked with was full of themselves, closed minded, and didn't seem to care about the job at all. there were a few who did...
Pros
easy job
Cons
rude coworkers
Fun working with everyone
Retail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2018
Retail work where you get health benefits.
Sometimes hard work but fun working in a team.
Employee discounts are rebated at the end of the year.
Not very flexible, expected to work when management pleases.
Was a great place to work.
Rocky Ridge - Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2018
It was an overall great environment to be in. I enjoyed every day I was there! I loved everyone that worked there, we all got along great and I enjoyed the customers that came in!
Excellent Employer
Director of Leasing (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 December 2017
Great group of people at Co-op, Management is keen, and attentive, much work to be done on the systems and data management in the Real Estate Dept. Really enjoyed the people and culture. Frustrated at delays and methods.
Pros
Great Culture
Cons
Too focused on cost cutting, and not what's causing the losses
good place to work great co workers
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 November 2017
typically you are outside for most of your shift
either refueling peoples cars checking the oil and fluid levels
refilling propane tanks as well as helping those people who do not know how to add air to their tires / checking tire pressure (yes some people do not know how to do this )
Pros
free uniform and weather gear
Cons
outside
Stressful work enviroment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2017
Ideal place to work lots of hours for minimum wage.
Called in on days off that were planned as a day off to relax. No benefits for C template workers.
Takes years to increase wage and position.
Pros
Friendly management
Cons
Long hours of standing and repetitive movements
Beautiful & well organized deli department.
DELI CLERK (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 October 2017
I presently work as a Deli Clerk. Totally professional, great co-workers & supervisors. It's too bad that they won't give me more working hours in order for I to survive in Calgary.
Pros
Wage & Benefits
Cons
Part time hours
Great Company
Trainee Gas Bar Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 October 2017
I loved my stay with this company. Very flexible and very helpful to employees family issues. Great Management team Good work life balance and great place to work.
Not a Good Place to Work
File Maintenance Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 October 2017
Company has changed and doesn't care about it's employees anymore. All they care about is making money. They don't hire full time anymore, and don't look after their long time employees.
Perfect start for new applicants with no experience
Market Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 October 2017
I had no experience whatsoever and Coop shaped me and gave me skills that i can use for the future would recommend to other applicants and to other in need of jobs
Play hard ball
Sr. Business Analyst/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta, Canada30 September 2017
The manager was inexperienced who lacked vision and trust.Hence in his ignorance, he caused stress by hindering the original commitments given to business.
Pros
Free food sometimes
Cons
Inefficient Manager
The people you meet are wonderful.
Bakery Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 September 2017
You get to meet so many different people working at Calgary Co-op, some good some bad. But all in all its a good place to work. The hardest part is finding something to do when there is nothing to do.
Pros
Make friends.
Cons
Some of management aren't too friendly
Bakery Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 September 2017
I loved to be part of Calgary Co-op Family. I had great time! I used to work at the bakery and it was amazing to learn from the team. Probably, the worst part was about not getting hours to work. It was difficult time for Alberta. I loved to greet the customers, offering free samples, answering questions etc.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes
Cons
not much hours to work
Co-op
Meat Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 September 2017
Co-op is a fast place to work it keeps growing and trying to keep completive work there was great to bad I had to relocate. Best pension around . thanks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calgary Co-operative Association Limited. Our community is ready to answer.

Calgary Co-operative Association Limited Reviews by Location