Calgary Catholic School District

Calgary Catholic School District Employee Reviews

Canada45 reviews

studentgoodgreatworkdaypeopleworkingsupport

Relaxed work environment

Good management and overall good work environment. Interview process was easy and efficient. It is clearly laid out what is expected from you and you are given freedom within your role

Extremely low pay

The Calgary Catholic School District doesn’t pay their support staff a liveable wage. The starting for education assistants is $15.75 (almost minimum wage)

Insights into Calgary Catholic School District

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things

Overall good work environment

Staff were very friendly and helpful, and I enjoyed working with the kids. Although the pay could have been better and there didn’t seem to be much room for advancement.

Pros and cons to teaching with CSSD

It can be a bit easier to secure contracts with this district compared to CBE, however it all depends on what is important to you! Also a lot of people know each other within the district therefore it's important to be mindful of your conduct as there's a good chance the word will get around if you make any poor choices.

Do not recommend-

Administration sets the tone for the building- poor communication with staff They should be evaluated Administration does not treat support staff with respect

Pros

Summer off

Cons

Principals are bullies - terrible morale.

Very welcoming and friendly environment

The work environment is very friendly and welcoming, the kids we work with are awesome and you get several breaks through the day. It's fast paced and there's always something to do, making the days go by quickly

Pros

Union, multiple breaks through the day, friendly coworkers, the kids

Cons

minimal training

I Work at Holy Child SW, great place to work. Great group of people, great everything except for the pay.Great place to work, great principal/vice principal and co-workers. I was always treated with respect and kindness. The only downside is the pay.

Cons

low pay

Love my job, hate my salary

The Calgary Catholic school district has the lowest salaries for support staff in Alberta, and we have not had an increase in almost 10 years. It is extremely frustrating because that is probably the only complaint the majority of support staff employees with this district have. It is not a liveable wage for anyone who is in a single income household.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Extremely low pay

Very welcoming staff! Great company to work for

I truly enjoyed going to work daily! The people there are all amazing. The culture and professionalism is great. I recommend this company and hope you will enjoy as much as I do.

I was terminated after 22years because I was bullied by my Principal and the ATA did not back me at all.

Some people have good experiences, others are bad. NOT a Catholic model of any kind. Most teachers& admin do not attend church or treat others with any moral kindness. I am so happy since I no longer work here.

Pros

The students and other teachers were great.

Cons

Administration are incompetent and big bullies.

Good summer job with a very great organization

Good work as a summer employee. Above average pay for manual outdoor labour. Would have returned in later years’ summer seasons if I was not in classes at the time.

Pros

Positive and encouraging management

Cons

Need wage increase. Its been 7 years since the last increase. ALL BASIC commodities is increasing

I like it when they sent you to another school to many things to learn and also during summer clean up.. you only work 4 days a week 10 hrs a day for the whole summer

Pros

Easywork

Cons

Low salary

Great team!

I’ve really enjoyed my time at CCSD the past couple years. I’m not Catholic but it’s actually been neat to see how the kids respond to the overarching lessons of love and community that are embedded in the school district’s teachings. Everyone I’ve worked with or talked to in the district has been quite warm and welcoming and always helpful. It’s one of the first jobs that I’ve been excited to come to each day and I do truly feel that employees are well taken care of.

Pros

Most things

Cons

Part time librarians don’t get pensions/no real chance of full time

Excellent Fellow Workers.

Everyone is helpful, kind, and encouraging. Work is amazing with Disabled Learning Students, I always amazed at what some of the students are achieving.

Pros

Learning new skills everyday.

Cons

Hours are too short.

Competitive and unethical

Administration was not supportive Unethical treatment towards people Poor work life balance Classroom size issues (over crowding) Poor resources

Pros

money

Cons

Classroom size issues with over crowding

Supportive work place

Great place to work very supportive and respectful. Every day is different which is the best part. Admin team is pleasant and respects the work/family balance.

Friendly, approachable staff and at times challenging children with special needs

I work Casual and sometimes I feel it's unfair because to get a permanent position I would have to start as lunchroom supervisor which brings hardly any pay

Productive work place

Wonderful colleagues and Administration who care about their school and students. Unfortunately it is quite difficult to land a permanent contract to work there long-term. Everyone is very helpful and accommodating. They have developed a good system that keeps the whole company organized.

My day is always full of ups and downs with my special kiddos

I work with special ES II kiddos and there is always adjustments that we have to make in the classroom. As we don't have enough room to do alot of things, and places to take our kiddos.

Wonderful staff, great students, a wonderful career

No two days are ever the same. It has been an amazing experience from day one. The people you get to interact with on a daily basis are amazing. You constantly get to learn something new and get to teach new ideas to others.

Great place to work, but no opportunity for stable employment

Wonderful colleagues and admin who truly care about their school and students. Unfortunately, very difficult to land a permanent contract to work there long-term.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calgary Catholic School District. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement