Calgary Catholic School District Employee Reviews

The organization is okay, maybe good, my position is not good.
Educational Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 May 2019
The pay is very poor. As an education assistant there's no room for advancement. The schools and principles I have worked with have been fantastic though. Wonderful co workers. But this doesn't matter when you struggle to pay bills. I'd only recommend working at CSSD as an EA if you have a partner that makes much more money, or if you're young and looking for an introduction into education. I'm 27 and it just isn't good enough. Tons of politics in the highschools too. Quite frustrating.
Pros
Really, really, really easy.
Cons
6 hour days, poor wages. No advancement.
very supportive staff at Our Lady of Lourdes School
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 October 2018
When I worked the two years at Our Lady of Lourdes School I felt it had an amazing team environment. It was a behavior/last chance school for students to get behavior modification techniques to enable them to return to the mainstream school system. I worked within the three autistic classrooms and found the job both challenging and rewarding. I also worked as a substitute TA for a couple of years and worked in all grades with special needs students.
Pros
good team environment
Cons
nt full time hours
Great employer
School Caretaker / Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 October 2018
The company offered secured jobs and most people are very nice. It is a great employer and one of the top 100 in Alberta. They give help to other countries when it is needed, for example when there is a disaster such as flood or earthquake happen in other nation.
CCSD Maintenance Crew
Summer Grounds Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 August 2018
Great summer job - good work and good team
Learned lots of skills of gardening and maintenance
Learned truck and trailer skills
Would highly recommend!
Good Company
Substitute Teacher (Elementary Generalist) (Current Employee) –  North West, Calgary25 May 2018
I love the culture and working relationship in this company. Everyone is very helpful and accommodating. If you are new, you will always find someone who will help you out. They have developed a good system that keeps the whole company organized and if you need help, you will know who can help you. I hope to stay in this company until I retire.
I loved going to work everyday.
Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 May 2018
loved my years with this board. It was where I started my career in the school system. Met a lot of great teachers and students. Loved going to work everyday and will miss that board forever.
great benefits
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 October 2017
They have great benefits, with good located schools which are easy to get to. Faith in Education is very important to them as they are a Catholic District.
Great Job but no stability
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 September 2017
started off well but with the constant change in staff, stability was not good some really good people but some that were not as engaged. i like the job and most people but stability was the down fall
Pros
summers off
Teaching
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 May 2017
The teachers that I have had the opportunity to work with so far have been amazing mentors and are eager to support my learning. Whenever I have a question, everyone is eager to offer advice
Fun place to work...teachers and students
Learning Commons Librarian (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 May 2017
Working in a school is rewarding. I enjoy working with the students.

During a typical work day..a school is very busy place. No two days are a like.
Pros
Fantastic staff
Cons
Not getting paid over the summer months
Enjoyable
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 January 2017
The collaborative aspects of the schools help to make it enjoyable. Each school has a different principle and often different ideas on positive education.
Pros
Salary, Professional Development
fun place!
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 August 2016
I loved working for st Augustine fine Arts school, I learned tons, and was very sad to move away, the kids were great, many of them were sad to see me go
Pros
hours, work day
Cons
Not secure with all the Gov't cut backs
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 May 2016
Great school environment, only not a secure position with all of the government cut backs and requirements for large student/teacher ratio.
fun and good environment work place
Casual Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 September 2015
working with groups and one on one, trying to help and support students meet their requirements. very flexible and working environment. helping people makes you always feel good about yourself.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
challing at times
Productive,fun place to work with supportive management
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 August 2015
Every year always working with someone new, learning new techniques. Not much red tape. Great management and staff,they are there for you if you need assistance. Hours and pay are decent.
Great school board but no job security
High School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 July 2014
No permanent position, just a number among 3,500 employees, though I really loved my job and working with students and staff.
Good School District to Work for
4th/5th combined grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 May 2014
It was the first school district that I worked for. I would have continued my career there had I not moved out of the area.

A typical started with me preparing learning materials for the day. When the bell rang I went and retrieved my students from the line-up outside. We did our morning ritual, prayer, national anthem, agenda, attendance. After this was complete we worked on our lessons. Our days were full of learning as well as fun.
Pros
Working with the students, making a difference, doing fun lessons, field trips and summer holidays
Cons
Additional paperwork added to our teaching load, a lot of evening work, high stress environment
working in city schools
Intinerant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary Catholic Schools9 October 2012
travel to and from schools providing counselling and support; learned to develop curriculum for first nations culture; management was great; coworkers were awesome; living away from home was hardest with newborn child; loved to be in counselling tutoring role and to help native children who were struggling with cultural identity in major city
Pros
wage and benefits