Calgary Board Of Education

Calgary Board Of Education Employee Reviews

Canada175 reviews

calgaryteacherstudentschoolboardclassroomeducationchild

very good

Like the atmosphere very friendly supervisors, employee and easy to get along with. Very helpful in training with lots of knowledge being pass along. Pays for your training as you learn more knowledge on the job you are doing. I would not hesitate to work with them again.

Pros

free education for boiler course for the job.

Cons

lots of workers to compete with.

Relaxed and positive environment. Most people there appreciate what we do.

As a temp during the pandemic, my typical day was pretty easy with no schedule to follow, I set my own break times. The appreciation I received from teachers and students made it like no job I've ever had before. I am still hoping to go back as permanent staff. The one downside is the challenge of getting a permanent position.

Pros

Real appreciation; set my own break times.

Cons

Hard to get a permanent position.

Insights into Calgary Board Of Education

What people like
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job
  • Clear sense of purpose

Collaborative workplace

The best thing about the CBE IT department was the people. They were the best colleagues I ever worked with. They were very collaborative and willing to help. The pay was good but very few growth opportunities existed. There were many colleagues who had spent 10+ years in entry-level IT support positions and it did not seem like the organization and IT leadership had any strategy on how to assist them to move on to the next level of their careers.

Friendly, inclusive culture, and excellent work-life balance

Management was responsive and approachable and the workplace culture is very friendly. Working hours were manageable with fair compensation. Good project management experience, though challenging at times to adjust to frequent changes within the organization.

Pros

learning opportunities, friendly culture

Cons

high turnover and frequent changes in structure

Culture School Dependant

Workplace environment varies from school to school and really depends on the administration. As a company, HR is inefficient and is prone to make many mistakes. It is extremely difficult to switch schools depending on your teaching speciality.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Hr

One of the worst organizations I have ever worked for

The organization espouses the position:”Students first…” which holds no meaning whatsoever. The organization is a bureaucratic monolith. In the 14 years I worked with the CBE I was repeatedly disappointed by much of the programming for children and how they treat staff which is extremely poorly. If I were a parent I wouldn’t want my children going to a cbe school and I certainly wouldn’t recommend it to peers for employment. Teaches are disrespected and overloaded with demands beyond their capacities and skills, and professional and support staff are exceedingly undervalued and marginalized within the organization. As a taxpayer who supports public education, I have been appalled at the quality of programming for children and as an employee, shocked at the work conditions and the culture of the CBE. So many staff leave the CBE because they feel undervalued, disrespected and even those who attempt to effect change, eventually realize the futility of doing so. A terrible organization on so many levels, but especially from a management point of view.

Cons

Too many to list here

Compensation should be greater but good company to work for

I worked as an Educational Assistant for several years, and reached the top of the pay scale. I do feel that the pay structure should be realistic in the sense of increments for staff who have reached the top of the pay scale, as it has not changed in many years. Pay is fair when compared to compensation at other school boards for the same job. The job itself varies depending on what school you work at. I worked at a special setting school that supported children with complex disabilities. It was a fantastic place to be, and the children were wonderful. It's all about perspective and what you put into it, is what you will get back.

A great part time job for some extra cash in you wallet.

This job is good if you like the school life. You not only clean but you can learn other thing from your peers, and learn other things that may interest you if you want to move on with the Board

travail avec des enfants scolarisés

agréable de travailler avec des enfants de différents âges

Excellent place to work!

A typical day is about supporting the teacher support the students. Sometimes I'd work 1:1 with a student and other times in a small group. The hardest part is working with students who have emotional outbursts. It can trigger you, it can be awful if you have a headache, and you can get physically hurt, pinched, bitten, etc. Most of the time it just means you need to learn about the student's needs more. Ask to read the educational assessment and OT and SLP assessment. There are so many tips in there. Also TALK TO PARENTS because they often know the child the best and can offer all kinds of tips. If the child is involved with special services, ask to be a part of their team meetings; you'll learn so much about how to support the student and help them have great days and educational gains. It's also an opportunity to share what you know about the student, what works, what doesn't, and maybe that will help someone else on the team be creative about solving a problem. Collaboration, communication, and consistency is really KEY in this role: partner with the teacher, the parents, other service providers (OT, SLP, etc), and the student.

Pros

Students! Pay! Vacation days! Work/Life Balance!

Cons

sometimes trying to figure out what is causing a behaviour, advocating for services but budget constraints sometimes limit this.

Great staff!

This is a very busy position, but working with kids is always enjoyable. The teachers were great. Sometimes parents can be difficult and rude, but found the staff to be very supportive.

Pros

Summers off, two weeks off at Christmas

Cons

None really

Excellent work if you have kids

Worked 2&1/2 hrs per day, helping children in the classroom which was extremely rewarding and building relationships with them during lunch. Loved it there and was sad I had to leave as we moved province. Many opportunities and encouragement to progress and move upwards.

Pros

Benefits; health plus training discounts

Friendly staff common goals

We all share a common goal in the interests of the children to help the whole child develop By providing positive discipline and encouraging anti-bullying and self-awareness.

Pros

Choose many different locations

Cons

Short hours

One in a lifetine opportunity

Many different jobs and many different opportunities. For a mom with kid working as lunch supervisor is a good opportunity. I was also hired for office assitant cause of past experience which was cherry on top of cake.

Pros

Good work hrs

Cons

Small shifts for lunch supervisor so u offcourse need more source of income

Cbe

Too large, too much hierarchy and bureaucracy. They need to improve on diversity in staffing, cross cultural training, teacher wellness practice and cutting back on make work and busy work for teachers, recognizing that most teachers are putting in far above the 40+ hour week. The disparity between richer neighborhoods abd poorer ones also needs to be addressed.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Bureaucrats

Great job if you don't want pay advancements, steady hours or a secure place of employment

A typical day is busy with lots of activity. If you're bored easily you'll love your job working with the kids. There's never or rarely a dull moment. The management can vary from school to school, but mostly they are good. The workplace culture is becoming very social justice driven, especially in high school. If you are not a liberal or are a religious person be prepared to be ridicule and mocked. But don't worry, it won't be to your face. The most enjoyable aspect of the job is definitely the kids. Overall, if you want to work for the CBE your primary focus has to be on your work with the kids and not the company or the salary.

Pros

Summers off, great health benefits and off early enough to be home with your kids.

Cons

Summers off with no pay, never having a secure placement or hours. Possibility of cut hours, program closure or laid off completely

Not high pressure, you are trusted to do your job.

Little high pressure to produce which is fine. If you are a responsible employee you are trusted to do your job up to your capabilities, not micro managed. You are allowed to do your job correctly and safely. Job allows you to have a family life

Pros

Regular hours

Cons

average pay

Flexible hours, but not many benefits

The hours are flexible, but the days can be stressful especially when the schools bounce you around from class to class (usually for vacancy positions). The staff can either be very cold or super nice, depending on the school that you're at. You may end up subbing for years before you get considered for full time, and it's nearly impossible to get your permanent certificate if you're only a substitute.CBE has been unsympathetic towards subs during COVID. Considering the scare with the pandemic especially during the first isolation period, it had severely affected my mental health (and I'm sure many others), which was reflected in the amount of days that I worked. The interim reviews they had sent out do not consider mental health as a factor in performance. As a sub you also do not get sustaining benefits that apply towards seeing a psychologist on a weekly/monthly basis.

Pros

Flexible hours, challenging, good work/life balance

Cons

Can be hectic, staff can be cold, difficult to move up, not many benefits for mental health

Nice people

Nice Managment and fun people to work for. Very hard working staff and really cares about students and there wellbeing. Have to be very patient with students.

Difficult work, but rewarding

I believe that helping children to succeed it's the most important work that you can do. The school I worked at had an impoverished and traumatized student population. Therefore, day-to-day it was quite difficult work. Draining, and at times depressing. But focussing on the kids and the improvement that a positive adult can make in their lives gets you through.

Teaching

The CBE is a good school board for students however it is extremely hard to get a permanent contract unless you know the right people. There are many subbing opportunities if you are willing to work.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

impossible to get a permanent position.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calgary Board Of Education. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement