Calgary Board Of Education
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

Calgary Board Of Education Employee Reviews

Canada156 reviews
I believe that helping children to succeed it's the most important work that you can do. The school I worked at had an impoverished and traumatized student population. Therefore, day-to-day it was quite difficult work. Draining, and at times depressing. But focussing on the kids and the improvement that a positive adult can make in their lives gets you through.
The CBE is a good school board for students however it is extremely hard to get a permanent contract unless you know the right people. There are many subbing opportunities if you are willing to work.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
impossible to get a permanent position.
Nice to work with the company and people I'm with on my assigned school. The environment is light and the job is not so heavy. Teamwork was observed and great benefits even though you work part-time.
Pros
Benefits
Cons
short hours for part-time and long wait for FT position
• Worked collaboratively with partnered teachers and specialists
• Developed skills, abilities and attitudes necessary to provide beneficial and quality support to a school environment and community
My typical day I come into my classroom, set up the breakfast items and do a check in with the teacher I work with. We review the day and then let the kiddos in. I go with the students from class to class. If my students have a hard time in the integrated class they are in we can go back to our classroom and they can take time to calm.
I truly enjoy working with the Calgary Board of Education. I had the pleasure of working in a special setting. This setting worked with wonderful partnerships.
Supervising children during lunch and on play structure. Fill out any incident report. Assist teachers in the classroom by helping students with class work, reading, and projects. Assist school staff with filing, mailing, photocopying and library duties.
Fun place to work where there are a lot of jobs. Days can be long, but it is worth it to make sure that the kids are learning what they are supposed to be learning.
Fun, if you like working with children. Easy going staff and always supportive of each other. I really enjoy it, especially if you are not looking for something full time.
Working in a Team effort. There is room for advancement with the right qualifications. Some members have been around for over three decades.
Life long learning.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Calgary Board Of Education?
One of the major school boards in the city. They are a massive board and employee hundreds of teachers. For such a huge board they have a system that seems to work efficiently. If you a have a good, compassionate principal it makes all the difference!
Generally a fairly nice place to work, however, unless you're an educator, there is little or no opportunity for advancement. No performance management, which makes it difficult to advance in any meaningful way. Cultural promotes longevity of service, not performance.
A typical day at work is ensuring all students are in class or have been accounted for in each classroom by verifying attendance and calling parents when necessary. This is a high energy role where every day is unique. Anything can happen in this role including, but not limited to, injuries, upset parents, conflicting personalities among peers, student and school safety. Everyone is there to assist when needed. Very collaborative. Students keep the role fun and energetic. Very rewarding.
Long process to get continuous and stable employment, but if you’re comfortable with traveling around the city for casual employment while applying for permanent opportunities that are not often available, this is a great place to build your skills, make contacts and prove yourself.
Lots of mini courses to educate employees on things like how to use Epipens and how to protect ourselves such as lifting properly
I like being a casual as I get to work with so many wonderful people at so many different schools.

I have learned so many different jobs such as what it takes to work in the school office and also how to be supportive in a special needs class special-needs classroom
In order to have an interview by a hiring school you have to be on sublist. It seems many people sub for years unless you know someone to assist you.
Fast-paced environment, challenging at times. Great, friendly help desk team to work with. Really enjoyed going to work every day. Never a dull moment. Supervisor was very good. Great learning experience right from the start.
Administration of a school and program sets the tone for environment. All Administrators I have experienced have been respectful supportive and appreciative. Very Professional atmosphere
Productive and fun workplace with a great team. I have learned how to multitask, how to problem solve, working as a team, good communication skills. The students behavior can be challenging and require some behavior management. It is a good learning envirorment. Progress is slow with our students so you need to have a lot of patience. A typical day at work is helping students with life skills and personal care. Overall, it is a great place to work.
As a Substitute I was available everyday, on call, and accepted the daily duties of a full-time, permanent teacher. I accepted assignments throughout the city of Calgary, all quadrants; my own vehicle was required.
CBE does not use their money wisely. their are jobs that shouldn't be and then their are the jobs where people or overworked.
it is a slow process company so if you need a job asap do not apply as it takes over a month to hear back from them.