Calgary Board Of Education Employee Reviews

Good atmosphere
Classroom Support (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2019
I volunteer here occasionally and I do like it, though I do not talk to many staff members as I am helping in the classroom but the atmosphere seems friendly for the most part.
I love working with the children.
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 January 2019
All depends on when and where you work. For the most part I love working with the children. a lot of the teachers were all so awesome to work with.

It's just a shame because of educational funding cutbacks teachers and support staff are left struggling.
Pros
Summers and school breaks off. Only have to work during school hours.
Cons
Lack of educational funding.
UNFAVORABLE for career development
Early Childhood Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 January 2019
Being in a school setting the most eventful is the ahah moment when a student "gets the concept" that is being taught ! What I have learnt is unless ur boss / principal is in your FAVOR, u can not survive in CBE! Higher management does have few flaws in terms they fail to offer the moral training to second level staff under them that always consider CBE priorities over their personal / school priorities. Thus all the managing problems arise when second level managers only consider their smaller priorities over the more wider and broader priorities in terms of planning / organising etc … Thus always "Please" ur BOss OR ELSE U ARE SCREWED . one wont even get the basic benefits that are mentioned in ur plan. one will not get to do ur professional development if u fail to have good relation ship and appease ur boss . Hardest part is training not being appropriate to second level managers . Most hard working grass root staff is not appreciated . day to day is stressful due to working with highly special needs students .workculture is depending on each school or department
Pros
on paper great benefits plan . some managers / principals are really very very awesome
Cons
some how need to fix the flaws, esp at least train Principals / dept manager to always keep system priority top most
great people
Administrator, Grades C and E (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 January 2019
worked with many great people. the work environment was mostly positive, and very supportive and open. very inclusive and welcoming. advancement was very difficult though, especially if you were not well liked.
Pros
positive supportive growth and solutions oriented
Cons
difficult to move up in the ranks due to people staying for long periods
I need something more
Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 January 2019
It is a really great place to work but I need something more challenging and related to my field of study

I am a well educated and something more related to my field of study
productive workplace
Kurdish interpreter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 January 2019
Casual on call job. The hardest part of the job is when the parents get late to appointment or don't show up at all. I have learned many things during my job such as: keeping the privacy of the parents.
fun place to work
Recruitment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 December 2018
Awesome place to work people were amazing too. Learned a lot of important information that i can use in my daily live and getting a job after i graduate in may.
Pros
fun events
Very rigid work environment
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 December 2018
Not the best organization for somebody looking for technical advancement and career growth. Management and staff adhere to very rigid work environment which in my opinion does not promote productivity and creativity.
Great experiance
Calgary Junior Adviser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 October 2018
I was a junior adviser, helping the school board for decisions made for and by students. I was able to participate in helping include more and more possibility and engagement opportunities for students. Definitely worth it.
Pros
Awesome experience
Cons
Fast paced, vey large urban high school with amazing students and teachers.
Area V Assistant Principal Steering Committee (Current Employee) –  Calgary area15 October 2018
As an assistant principal in a large urban high school every day is different. Challenges with students attending classes and being successful. Successes with students socially, emotionally, academically. Interacting with teachers and support staff to promote a safe and caring environment for everyone. Supporting students at extra curricular activities and meeting with parents and guardians in a different environment. the hardest part of the job is finding time in the day to complete/initiate all of the different tasks I see as key components for well rounded, successful students and dedicated compassionate teachers.
In a typical day I will work with the school librarian, the English teachers, Special Education students. I will walk the hallways to meet with students then visit classrooms to observe teaching practice and student engagement. I will support the community by supervising at lunch time in the neighbourhood to ensure students are being responsible citizens. After school I will attend various extra curricular events including football, volleyball, soccer, band concerts.
Parent meetings to support student success are also scheduled throughout the day as are teacher meetings to support in class work as well as address teacher concerns about specific students or the program of studies.
Assessment is a huge part of my professional development. I work with Learner Assessment Branch, Alberta Education throughout the year on various committees and mark English Grade 9 in July.
I believe I support the teachers in my school in their daily work and
  more... give them opportunities to share their successes and struggles with me thus enabling me to create a positive workplace environment.  less
Pros
Student and teacher success
Cons
Not enough time
Educational Assistant, Casual Roster (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 October 2018
I really enjoy my work that I have being doing with the CBE.
I work on the casual roster but am still working in a full time capacity.
I don't get benefits which is unfortunate, however the annual raise and vacation pay is always appreciated.
Pros
Able to work full time while subbing
Cons
No benefits
Summer Job
Calgary - Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 September 2018
I had fun doing this as a summer job but there wasn't any room for you to stay on afterwards or no rooms for advancement due to the short time period, Definitely gave me some different experiences than im used to.
Cbe
SCHOOL ASSISTANT/LUNCH TIME SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  alberta5 September 2018
They were a great company to work for. They had a good system to be able to pick up extra shifts. You had the option on how much you wanted to work. It is a good part time job.
Diverse place to work at with great benefits.
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 September 2018
workplace culture really differs from school to school you work in. It also trickles down from frontline administration or your immediate supervisors and the teachers you work with. That dynamic shifts from school to school so definitely having a strong characteristic as an employee or as a support staff with good communication skills help to clear the lines of communication.
When working with for the CBE, the pros and cons are just as even. The families are diverse which can be great. The variety and spectrum of coverage of work can be a lot but also simplified. The support you will receive from the CBE is quite tremendous. They provide great benefits, pension and even a support program not just concentrating with work but for your regular life.
A bit of downfall is only having to work 30 hours as a maximum full-time hours presented to a support staff. The summers are also unemployment season, so definitely be prepared to apply for EI and look for temporary work during 2 to 3 months of no school.
Pros
summers off, holidays off, great benefits, great pension plan, good outside work-life support with programs and outreach, diverse community
Cons
job hours for next school year is never definite- depends on enrolments, summers off means no pay- EI and look for temp jobs.
great place for a career
Facilities and environmental services employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 August 2018
Great place to work values employee input in the decision making process with a lot of opportunities for career advancement although professional development opportunities have been reduced.
Pros
opportunity for career advancement
Cons
public sector funding is from the government which can cause budget issues
Assist families (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 July 2018
Great place to work. I advanced positions from being a temp to working in the Head office as as a member of the Student Fees team, then moved on to working in school offices as Administrator to the principal then secretary to the school.
Many perks but much favoritism
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 July 2018
Love working with children, the pay and benefits are typically great and all the time off is incredible. But. It's usually quite difficult to advance in positions and though it might be denied, there is definitely favoritism and inside outs that the average employee may not realize. Who you know helps your career.
Pros
Benefits, pay, time off
Cons
Difficult advancement
Lunch Supervisors
Lunch Supervisor/School Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 July 2018
This position only allow 10 hours a week.
Career opportunity is very limited
Principal may not be a good manager
The hardest part of the job is how to control the student and working outside when is windy and very cold
Cons
not enough hours
most enjoyable part of job is students
Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 July 2018
Great feeling of satisfaction when all your work is complete. Helping students, staff and parents provides a sense of accomplishment and gratification.
Student Centred Organization
Middle School Principal (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 July 2018
With over 100 000 students, the CBE has always done a great job at ensuring that the needs of students are met. With a focus on inclusive learning opportunities, personal development, and academic success, the CBE has provided its students with many opportunities for success.