Calgary Board Of Education Employee Reviews

Educational Assistant, Casual Roster (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 October 2018
I really enjoy my work that I have being doing with the CBE.
I work on the casual roster but am still working in a full time capacity.
I don't get benefits which is unfortunate, however the annual raise and vacation pay is always appreciated.
Pros
Able to work full time while subbing
Cons
No benefits
great place for a career
Facilities and environmental services employee (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 August 2018
Great place to work values employee input in the decision making process with a lot of opportunities for career advancement although professional development opportunities have been reduced.
Pros
opportunity for career advancement
Cons
public sector funding is from the government which can cause budget issues
Very rigid work environment
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 December 2018
Not the best organization for somebody looking for technical advancement and career growth. Management and staff adhere to very rigid work environment which in my opinion does not promote productivity and creativity.
Great experiance
Calgary Junior Adviser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 October 2018
I was a junior adviser, helping the school board for decisions made for and by students. I was able to participate in helping include more and more possibility and engagement opportunities for students. Definitely worth it.
Pros
Awesome experience
Cons
Many perks but much favoritism
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 July 2018
Love working with children, the pay and benefits are typically great and all the time off is incredible. But. It's usually quite difficult to advance in positions and though it might be denied, there is definitely favoritism and inside outs that the average employee may not realize. Who you know helps your career.
Pros
Benefits, pay, time off
Cons
Difficult advancement
productive workplace
Kurdish interpreter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 January 2019
Casual on call job. The hardest part of the job is when the parents get late to appointment or don't show up at all. I have learned many things during my job such as: keeping the privacy of the parents.
fun place to work
Recruitment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 December 2018
Awesome place to work people were amazing too. Learned a lot of important information that i can use in my daily live and getting a job after i graduate in may.
Pros
fun events
Summer Job
Calgary - Student Mentor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 September 2018
I had fun doing this as a summer job but there wasn't any room for you to stay on afterwards or no rooms for advancement due to the short time period, Definitely gave me some different experiences than im used to.
Student Centred Organization
Middle School Principal (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 July 2018
With over 100 000 students, the CBE has always done a great job at ensuring that the needs of students are met. With a focus on inclusive learning opportunities, personal development, and academic success, the CBE has provided its students with many opportunities for success.
Lunch Supervisors
Lunch Supervisor/School Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 July 2018
This position only allow 10 hours a week.
Career opportunity is very limited
Principal may not be a good manager
The hardest part of the job is how to control the student and working outside when is windy and very cold
Cons
not enough hours
Assist families (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 July 2018
Great place to work. I advanced positions from being a temp to working in the Head office as as a member of the Student Fees team, then moved on to working in school offices as Administrator to the principal then secretary to the school.
Cbe
SCHOOL ASSISTANT/LUNCH TIME SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  alberta5 September 2018
They were a great company to work for. They had a good system to be able to pick up extra shifts. You had the option on how much you wanted to work. It is a good part time job.
most enjoyable part of job is students
Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 July 2018
Great feeling of satisfaction when all your work is complete. Helping students, staff and parents provides a sense of accomplishment and gratification.
A typical government department
Computer network and System specialist II (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 April 2018
Did not have lot experience working for government. It is a typical government department take care IT for school staff and student. Need follow policy very close, be careful on your talking. Easy job, compared with the work and pay, i should say it is not bad at all.
Productive work place with easy work
Student Page (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 April 2018
Working at the Calgary board of education as a student page was good experience. Flexible hours with the ability to work around my school schedule. I learned some great clerical skills and had the ability to take on more responsibility as my experience grew. Great first job experience.
Very busy but great staff who work together well and get the job done.
SUPERVISOR OF REGISTRATION, SCHOOL SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2018
A full 7 hours of answering calls, helping customers, answering questions, registering people into the proper programs, collecting fees, balancing at end of day. I learned that when you work as a team and all work together the day goes faster and the work gets done without a hitch. The hardest part is always making sure every deadline is met and the most enjoyable part is working with a great team of people who become great friends.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Upset customers
The experience was positive. Regular professional development and variety of challenges.
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2018
I enjoyed my work experience within the class setting and the opportunities to work a member of a team. In general the staff at each location were supportive, encouraging and professional.

The work load was high, but I learned how to manage my time and develop leadership skills. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the constant changes in policies, curriculum.

I enjoyed the witnessing the growth academically, socially and emotionally in my students.
Pros
Working with others with similiar interests.
Cons
long hours including personal time outside of the daily schedule
Special Educational Assistant
Special Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2018
Under the direction of the teacher, and as a member of the student’s learning team I provide assistance in the education and support of students with a variety of special needs.

I have achieved high praise for my problem solving/conflict management skills.
I planned and organized activities and learning opportunities.
Pros
Working with children to help them learn and grow
Cons
not enough hours
Good
Boxing of old files (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 May 2018
The environment was very welcoming and comfortable to work in. Every body was treated fairly and had a good time. The pay was very reasonable and helped me alot
Diverse place to work at with great benefits.
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 September 2018
workplace culture really differs from school to school you work in. It also trickles down from frontline administration or your immediate supervisors and the teachers you work with. That dynamic shifts from school to school so definitely having a strong characteristic as an employee or as a support staff with good communication skills help to clear the lines of communication.
When working with for the CBE, the pros and cons are just as even. The families are diverse which can be great. The variety and spectrum of coverage of work can be a lot but also simplified. The support you will receive from the CBE is quite tremendous. They provide great benefits, pension and even a support program not just concentrating with work but for your regular life.
A bit of downfall is only having to work 30 hours as a maximum full-time hours presented to a support staff. The summers are also unemployment season, so definitely be prepared to apply for EI and look for temporary work during 2 to 3 months of no school.
Pros
summers off, holidays off, great benefits, great pension plan, good outside work-life support with programs and outreach, diverse community
Cons
job hours for next school year is never definite- depends on enrolments, summers off means no pay- EI and look for temp jobs.