Calgary Board Of Education

Calgary Board Of Education Employee Reviews

One in a lifetine opportunity

Many different jobs and many different opportunities. For a mom with kid working as lunch supervisor is a good opportunity. I was also hired for office assitant cause of past experience which was cherry on top of cake.

Pros

Good work hrs

Cons

Small shifts for lunch supervisor so u offcourse need more source of income

Cbe

Too large, too much hierarchy and bureaucracy. They need to improve on diversity in staffing, cross cultural training, teacher wellness practice and cutting back on make work and busy work for teachers, recognizing that most teachers are putting in far above the 40+ hour week. The disparity between richer neighborhoods abd poorer ones also needs to be addressed.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Bureaucrats

Great job if you don't want pay advancements, steady hours or a secure place of employment

A typical day is busy with lots of activity. If you're bored easily you'll love your job working with the kids. There's never or rarely a dull moment. The management can vary from school to school, but mostly they are good. The workplace culture is becoming very social justice driven, especially in high school. If you are not a liberal or are a religious person be prepared to be ridicule and mocked. But don't worry, it won't be to your face. The most enjoyable aspect of the job is definitely the kids. Overall, if you want to work for the CBE your primary focus has to be on your work with the kids and not the company or the salary.

Pros

Summers off, great health benefits and off early enough to be home with your kids.

Cons

Summers off with no pay, never having a secure placement or hours. Possibility of cut hours, program closure or laid off completely

Not high pressure, you are trusted to do your job.

Little high pressure to produce which is fine. If you are a responsible employee you are trusted to do your job up to your capabilities, not micro managed. You are allowed to do your job correctly and safely. Job allows you to have a family life

Pros

Regular hours

Cons

average pay

Flexible hours, but not many benefits

The hours are flexible, but the days can be stressful especially when the schools bounce you around from class to class (usually for vacancy positions). The staff can either be very cold or super nice, depending on the school that you're at. You may end up subbing for years before you get considered for full time, and it's nearly impossible to get your permanent certificate if you're only a substitute.CBE has been unsympathetic towards subs during COVID. Considering the scare with the pandemic especially during the first isolation period, it had severely affected my mental health (and I'm sure many others), which was reflected in the amount of days that I worked. The interim reviews they had sent out do not consider mental health as a factor in performance. As a sub you also do not get sustaining benefits that apply towards seeing a psychologist on a weekly/monthly basis.

Pros

Flexible hours, challenging, good work/life balance

Cons

Can be hectic, staff can be cold, difficult to move up, not many benefits for mental health

Nice people

Nice Managment and fun people to work for. Very hard working staff and really cares about students and there wellbeing. Have to be very patient with students.

Difficult work, but rewarding

I believe that helping children to succeed it's the most important work that you can do. The school I worked at had an impoverished and traumatized student population. Therefore, day-to-day it was quite difficult work. Draining, and at times depressing. But focussing on the kids and the improvement that a positive adult can make in their lives gets you through.

Teaching

The CBE is a good school board for students however it is extremely hard to get a permanent contract unless you know the right people. There are many subbing opportunities if you are willing to work.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

impossible to get a permanent position.

Great company to work with

Nice to work with the company and people I'm with on my assigned school. The environment is light and the job is not so heavy. Teamwork was observed and great benefits even though you work part-time.

Benefits

Cons

short hours for part-time and long wait for FT position

Diversified and Openminded

• Worked collaboratively with partnered teachers and specialists • Developed skills, abilities and attitudes necessary to provide beneficial and quality support to a school environment and community

Jobs at Calgary Board Of Education

See more jobs

Great Team

My typical day I come into my classroom, set up the breakfast items and do a check in with the teacher I work with. We review the day and then let the kiddos in. I go with the students from class to class. If my students have a hard time in the integrated class they are in we can go back to our classroom and they can take time to calm.

workplace

I truly enjoy working with the Calgary Board of Education. I had the pleasure of working in a special setting. This setting worked with wonderful partnerships.

Enjoyable place to work

Supervising children during lunch and on play structure. Fill out any incident report. Assist teachers in the classroom by helping students with class work, reading, and projects. Assist school staff with filing, mailing, photocopying and library duties.

Fun place to work

Fun place to work where there are a lot of jobs. Days can be long, but it is worth it to make sure that the kids are learning what they are supposed to be learning.

Meaningful

Fun, if you like working with children. Easy going staff and always supportive of each other. I really enjoy it, especially if you are not looking for something full time.

Productive and fun place to work.

Working in a Team effort. There is room for advancement with the right qualifications. Some members have been around for over three decades. Life long learning.

Typical School Board

One of the major school boards in the city. They are a massive board and employee hundreds of teachers. For such a huge board they have a system that seems to work efficiently. If you a have a good, compassionate principal it makes all the difference!

Unless you're an educator, there is little opportunity for advancement

Generally a fairly nice place to work, however, unless you're an educator, there is little or no opportunity for advancement. No performance management, which makes it difficult to advance in any meaningful way. Cultural promotes longevity of service, not performance.

High energy, fast paced, detail specific

A typical day at work is ensuring all students are in class or have been accounted for in each classroom by verifying attendance and calling parents when necessary. This is a high energy role where every day is unique. Anything can happen in this role including, but not limited to, injuries, upset parents, conflicting personalities among peers, student and school safety. Everyone is there to assist when needed. Very collaborative. Students keep the role fun and energetic. Very rewarding.

Great employer, not a lot of turnover.

Long process to get continuous and stable employment, but if you’re comfortable with traveling around the city for casual employment while applying for permanent opportunities that are not often available, this is a great place to build your skills, make contacts and prove yourself.

Great company

Lots of mini courses to educate employees on things like how to use Epipens and how to protect ourselves such as lifting properly I like being a casual as I get to work with so many wonderful people at so many different schools. I have learned so many different jobs such as what it takes to work in the school office and also how to be supportive in a special needs class special-needs classroom

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calgary Board Of Education. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2