Calgary Airport Authority Employee Reviews

Custom Programming
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta, Canada14 March 2019
Assisted in the conversion of all Microstation drawing files to AutoCAD format by developing post-processing LISP-based applications that incorporate CAA standards into the newly translated files and augment the translation process.
Pros
Programming is fun
Cons
The Authority was restructured after hiring a new CEO.
CADD Technologist I & II (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 January 2019
I updated large facility record drawings with as-builds, and provided operational drawings, met tight deadlines for grand opening of the International Terminal.
Pros
Dynamic work culture.
Cons
Office cliques.
Fast Paced and Challenging
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 January 2019
Your job impacts thousands of people very day. It is an exciting place to work and most employees are very passionate about what they do. You learn a lot every day.
A People Orientated work environment with a lot of variety and energy
Materiel Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta4 January 2019
There was always a variety of tasks to perform with this employer, many of them had to be learned on the spot as the situation dictated.
Quite often I would find myself working alone with no supervision. When management was absent due to vacation or illness they would rarely advise me of their absence or call in to advise they were ill so it would create issues with not providing necessary back filling of their position in their absence.
The workplace culture at the time I was there was very chaotic because the Airport was about to undergo a huge expansion project. The department I worked for, I felt, was understaffed for the workload that was demanded of it. During the summer the Airport Authority would hire students part time and this would help a great deal, but once they left in the fall when their classes resumed, the demands and tasks quite often became too much to handle. After I left, I believe they did eventually hire an additional 3-4 Full Time staff to effectively manage the workload.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the flexibility and variety of the tasks, it was never boring.
Pros
Lots of Employee engagement events, training, meetings, benefits
Cons
Difficult location to get to, Understaffed (when I was there), Poor communication between management and workers on daily operations
Heard great things but was disappointed.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 December 2018
I had heard great things about the CAA but was disappointed with my department. Manager and supervisor both ruled with the "my way or the highway" attitude. A former colleague was turfed because he didn't fit in with them even though he was great at his job. They have twice the amount of man power required for the volume of work that is needed to be done daily, I sweep the floor 3 times a day maybe more just to keep busy. People in other departments really enjoy their positions and I envy them.
Pros
Great pay, decent hours.
Cons
Closed minded management.
Every day is different
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 October 2018
An airport is an interesting place to work, you never know what the day will consist of. Makes it exciting. Growing to be the 4th largest airport in Canada and having just completed a massive expansion, there is a bright future at YYC.
Could be excellent.... BUT...
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 September 2018
Great work life balance but the company really needs to rethink its strategy and approach from a management of personnel perspective. HR seems to be very corrupt and self serving, so do the management there. In particular the IT department is worryingly managed. The union makes it very challenging to get recognized or your job reclassified, new positions made etc. Overall if you are a self starter and ambitious - you will likely hate working here, if you are lazy and don't mind a lot of talk and very little action or consequences.... its a great fit for you.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
union, management, lack of vision
Great environment and culture, supportive and fun
Warehouse Assistant Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 August 2018
I worked as a summer student for three summers at the Calgary Airport Authority, and every year was a blast. Even only there for a few months they were happy to bring me into their big family. We had a lot of fun with the different events, and even just doing the daily tasks required of the job. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Parking can be a bit of a walk
Great place to grow
Community Engagement Co-op (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 June 2018
I had the pleasure to work with managers who provided several opportunities to grow in both roles and responsibilities. The people who work there are very friendly.
Work enviornment
Accounting - Aeronautical Billing Clerk (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2018
Immediate supervisor wanted to know to much about your personal life. Not much training, left to defend for yourself. Micro Managers.
Some managers were good.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Supervisor micro manager
Great Place
Construction Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 November 2017
Had a great time there, Everyone was very nice. Location wise was perfect and there isn't many places that is like working at the airport. Would love to work there again.
Government mentality has never left
IT Operations (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 June 2017
The Airport Authority was a decent place to work if you want to collect a paycheque, be around friendly people, and just get your daily work completed.
If you seek to make change, propose ideas and expect results, this environment is not conducive of promoting such ambition. They move far too slow a pace to ensure change happens when it is required and critical. They are behind the times when it comes to using technology to create efficiencies, and spend money in poor cyclical planning. Often, they repeat work and take the "if it's not broken don't fix it approach". Thus outdating themselves before they know it.

They have potential to do so much more, yet, older management tend to be very risk adverse causing frustration to mid level and front line staff.

Departments seem to be very segregated, and have issues working in cohesion when it matters most.
N/a
Software Quality Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary Airport26 May 2017
Calgary Airport Authority is one of the Alberta's top 70 employers. I had a pleasure to work with very talented people, I worked with Garth Atkinson and Mike Maxwell to deliver and test various baggage related projects for the opening of new international terminal at Calgary Airport.
great place to work for
Trades Helper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 April 2017
helped all trades do the jobs. complete there tasks on a good time schedual as they needed completed , I built walls put up decorations . built concourse d . anything needed done I would do . even move large benches .
Pros
good fun
Cons
temporary work
It was great place to work
Sr. Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 March 2017
I loved working on the Terminal Integration project at airport,
management was very supportive
Workplace culture is good
I learned to work with construction vendors
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary18 August 2016
Opportunities for professional development and training. Exciting new developments with the airport expansion. Management was great. Coworkers were friendly and outgoing; lots of community events with volunteer organizations. The hardest part about work there is that there are a lot of good jobs, but not a lot of movement.
Pros
Professional Development
Cons
Not a lot of opportunity for movement
Best place I have ever worked!
HR Advisor and Talent Acquisition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 May 2015
The culture and team were amazing and the environment was incredibly interesting. Great ability to have influence over something much larger.
Awesome place to work with great staff
Safety Information Designer (Former Employee) –  calgary3 May 2015
I loved working at the Airport Authority. The staff is very friendly and the managers provided lots of support and time to dicusss projects. There are also courses and activities that staff that take part in such as the big bike challenge, which was lots of fun and allows for a work/life balance. Best work experience ever!
A friendly environment workplace
Information Operating Technologies System (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 January 2015
I got a Coop summer job at The Airport Authority in the Information Technology department. All my coworkers are very friendly and the HR department always had activities events such as riding a big bike, airside tour, volunteerings, Stampede BBQ, etc,. The hardest part of job was the first starting my position, I had to learn by myself about SQL, Crystal Report, and Business Object. However, after I worked there two weeks, I was familiar and enjoyed doing reports and projects.