Calforex Currency Exchange

Canada16 reviews

Insights into Calforex Currency Exchange

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose

Workplace is okay; a lot of micro management

While it is understandable why they need to micromanage, it is incredibly overwhelming. No benefits even though you are put in risky situations. Manager was good, I really liked her. Just not for me.

Pros

Great experience.

Cons

No benefits.

I worked at the calforex location in Vaughan Mills.

If you are not desperate please do not apply for this job. The job itself is not hard once you get the hang of it. Calforex as a company seems great but the management at this location is horrible. The pay is not worth the work load. Within my first month of working there I had to close the store alone and it was extremely busy. I was left alone for 2 hours and then had to close the store alone on top of that. At first it will seem very professional and like a great place to work but slowly the manager will start to reveal her true self. Mistakes are not tolerated. You will work every weekend and if you request a day off it’s a problem. If you ask for less shifts your schedule will be cut as punishment. My co-workers were great, the manager is the problem and I hope the company does something about this. The turn over rate here is extremely high for a reason.

Pros

Friendly co-workers and fast paced so time goes by even faster

Cons

Long hours, bad management, low pay and toxic work environment

Lovely people and great business.

Probably my favourite place to work at. They preach collaboration in this company, so every single one of the employees is a treat to work with. Not only is the work environment lovely, but the job itself is pretty fun. You get to learn tons of interesting things about rates and the business, and there are always many opportunities to advance, if one is willing to grasp them!

Hmm

Working at the Vaughan location will be like traveling back in time to high school. It would seem like team and professional environment at first, but you will soon realize otherwise. Ever error made will be questioned, and you'll have no opportunity to to say it was simply human error. It can get extremely busy but that never seems to matter. Taking time off will almost never be granted. If they feel that you cant work the hours they want you're headed for long uncomfortable shifts.

Great Opportunity, room for growth

Typical day at work varies depending how good the rates are in terms of buys and sells. Traders usually deal with customers and we offer assistance when processing payments.Team building was fun and it's important to connect and build relationship with your colleagues. Creating an effective team is essential. Diverse staff. Management and staff are friendly and supportive. The hardest part of the job is when you are short staffed your workload can be double or triple the amount of work you do when you have deadlines to meet.

Good environment to work

Nice place to work , good currency exchange, good vibes to work and great management team Need more positions and opportunities to grow within the company

Good Wage, High Demand

The best part of the job was the wage. This job is high demand, and often times you are left alone, dealing with 15+ on your own. The biggest flaw is working on your own after only a month of training.

Environnement de travail agréable

Bureau de change avec employés dynamiques, actifs et positifs, il y a un bon équipe de travail. Mais il maque de motivation pour les cassiers sur tout en journées occupes et longues il faut un meilleur salaire et plus avantages sociaux. Cette un Bureau de Change vraiment bien reconnu pour le taux de change compétitive.

Pros

Flexibilité dans l'horaire

Cons

Aucune opportunité de carrière.

Stay away

Mom Pop shop pretending to be a company. President has wife and son running branches. No HR dept for issues, just a payroll dept. No retirement plans. Dying industry. Less and less people using currencies to travel.If you must accept a job, get the cash experience then run to a bank.. Advice to Management Less nipotism, more professional. 1970's management style is long gone (scare tactics, belittling, intimidation, spying, micromanaging)

Pros

Good temporary part time job for students. Lots of lull time to do homework at night and on weekends

Cons

Everything else

former teller

I loved my location as it was close to home and my manager and the other tellers were great,but I just didnt like being put in the spot when i make a mistake. One mistake your position is compromised.

Pros

great manager, work/life balance

Cons

stressful

Great staff, friendly atmosphere.

Fantastic company to work for. Flexible schedule. Schedules posted a month in advance. Learned about all the different currencies and how to handle large amounts of cash. Hardest part about the job is getting used to counting large sums of money and multiple currencies per transaction. Different note sizes and making sure you give out the correct amount. trying to have 0 to minimum errors. Most enjoyable part about this job is the staff interaction. Friendly environment. Learning where customers get to travel and spend their vacations, giving the client what they need at affordable rates and prices.

Great place to work in the long-term

Very good for long-term career goals; opportunities for further education as well at higher levels. Interesting day-to-day job; good mix of seriousness and fun. Two weeks vacation for salaried employees and banked overtime, competitive wages for part-timers. Great people, tight-nit environment. Good work-life balance, as long as you manage your time well. Company is serious about policy and procedures, which is very beneficial in the industry. Extensive training and skills learned are beneficial. Constant changes in the industry keep you on your toes. Not a boring job. Rewarding and challenging. Canadian company. Best if you're good with numbers and accuracy.

Stressful, but a good job.

Working at Calforex was challenging. It was a fairly stressful environment as you are dealing with a lot of numbers and a lot of customers each day as well as a lot of money counting. If you are good with numbers, then this would be a very good place to work. However, a single mistake could cost you.

Pros

friendly staff

Cons

stressful environment

Stressful and negative work environment

There is very little crossover between departments and I wasn't even introduced to any of the non trade floor staff despite only having maybe 12 people working at the head office. We were told we were to have weekly sales meetings and that inactive clients were to be shuffled to us new guys monthly but only 2 meetings and 1 client transfer happened the entire time I worked there. Communication was very poor in general and would often come in the form of weekly tirades on how if we don't hit our daily budget goals we might as well not come in the next day. We were told that they would understand if we didn't show up and after almost half a year of this, I took the bait

Pros

8-4 job, no overtime, decent commision, professional

Cons

Bad communication, no team building, negative work environment

Great management, great canadian company

Very supportive, well-founded company that pays well to the industry standards. Two weeks vacation, lots of training.

Productive Workplace enviornment

i feel as those if the space was bigger i would of not been so hot and needed my inhaler quite as often . working at this company did open my eyes to working in an office environment and wanting to forward my education with working as an office adminstrations.

Pros

sitting down for 8 hours

Cons

being opened on the weekend

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calforex Currency Exchange. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9