Calaway Park
Happiness score is 56 out of 100

Calaway Park: 155 Employee Reviews

Canada155 reviews

a good starting summer job for anyone looking for work.

a good starting summer job for anyone looking for work. The leads were very nice and would help. Some times were very slow and others were very busy.

Decent for highschool students

Decent place to work for a summer. Best suited for high school students. Work culture is fun and you will meet plenty of people during the summer. Pay and hours are pretty average.

Pros

- fun atmosphere and people

Cons

- commute (though they have buses) - can be challenging

Insights into Calaway Park

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energizing work tasks

Convenient location and good seasonal workplace

I worked 7 seasons at Calaway Park and my overall experience was positive; I decided to not return for an 8th season to pursue my career after graduating university. It was a great place to learn, develop my skills and expand my network; I made plenty of friends, some which I still connect with occasionally. The commute wasn't bad as I lived roughly 20mins away. The training sessions at the beginning of the season gave you the basic methods to operate your location, but the emphasis was always that you'd get better with time and experience. I switched departments as I didn't find it fitting beforehand, and was able to climb to the leadership team within 2 seasons of changing. I enjoyed my time a lot more in my second department. I would recommend working at Calaway Park to anyone looking for a summer job and building on their confidence with public interaction.

Pros

Meet lots of people, develop practical skills, recognition for positive attitude, discounts

Cons

Losing time for your break when walking on park from/to your location.

good summer job

nice summer job if you’re in high school, lots of fun being outside all day and hanging out with other people your age. a lot of the guests can be rude (ex. parents trying to fake their child’s height so they can get on a ride (which is extremely dangerous and usually leads to a fight), smokers not understanding why they can’t smoke outside of the smoking zone, karens, and people who’re annoyed after waiting an hour in the sun) but the team is nice and management will 9/10 times stick up for you.

Pros

employee events, smile award, fun environment

Cons

having to stay in bad weather, rude guests, screaming kids

Never work here

Genuinely the worst job in the world. The commute is long, shifts are very long, extremely short breaks that you have to walk long distances to get to, terrible management. I could go on and on about how much I hated that place. Everything about it is disgusting.

Pros

Nice coworkers, discount in the food lounge

Cons

Everything else

Fun place to work

Fun place to work and great teammates. Open every day so are expected to work weekends. Expected to work outside rain or shine.

Long hours and bad management

Typical day of work included standing for 8 hours a day with one 30 minute break that was cut off to 20 minutes because of walking time. Management had favourites and treated their employees unfairly. The hardest part was when guests would yell at you and get angry and the long hours of continuous standing as they do not allow you to sit down whatsoever. Management was easily the worst part of this job. The best part was the people you would work with, I made a lot of friends that I am still in contact with today. You do not get paid enough to deal with all of the stuff you have to deal with in this position.

Great first job, wouldn't go back

It was great to work at a place that allowed you to see so many people making memories, but the commute was awful and the breaks were short (members had to walk across the park to give you your break so if they were behind, your break was cut short. The walk to the breakroom could be up to 10 minutes from certain locations, so I'd frequently only get about a third of my half-hour lunch break at like 3:30 before I had to start going back). The training was good and thorough and I did enjoy going to the park for free and I wish I had taken advantage of it. I would recommend this as a first job to somebody as a way of building customer service experience.

Great Work Culture

I enjoyed the work culture that was part of the company. I made a lot of friends during my time of employment, and everyone was very friendly and great to be around. Management were very supportive and always made sure we were trained well. A con was the long hours that had to be worked and having to stand around in the sun. Overall, would recommend working there.

Pros

Employee events, friendly employees

Cons

Long hours, harsh weather conditions (eg. sun exposure, cold winds)

If your a Millwright or mechanic don't work here, read my full review

When I first started here I really enjoyed the job, that was until they hired a nightmare of a manager. First day he started we had a meeting, he told us how easy it is to fire and replace all of us, nice first impression. He uses his position to bully employees and constantly threatens to fire people. The morale level in the shop was always pretty low after one of his unmotivating morning meetings. The best and most productive days we had were the days he wasn't there. We worked very hard to bring the park up to a better maintenance standard, this was done due to the hard work and skill of the Millwrights, contrary to what upper management believes. We had an amazing maintenance team, but due to one person making it such a miserable place to work, he destroyed in a short period of time, a team that took years to build. In the past year in one of the worst job markets Alberta has seen, several long term employees quit as a direct result of just being sick of going to work, and having to deal with a boss that treated everyone so poorly. If upper management can't see that, then be prepared for a constant revolving door of employees, and watch your down time steadily increase year over year. People don't leave jobs, they leave managers.

Pros

Free tickets

Cons

Poor management, no vacation time in the summer, loss of many perks they used to give employees

Great summer job lots of heat

Calaway Park is an amazing place to have a summer job. They pay well and are very very supportive. Employee discounts couldn't get better and the management is incredible. The games team leads are some of the best people you will ever work for. Calaway even offers transportation! Had I not gotten a job in my desired career field I would have stayed in my position here much longer. The only con to working at Calaway park is that hours can be long and you are outside with little to no protection from the sun. If you get hired here, prepare yourself for some heat, stay hydrated and don't forget the sunscreen. :)

Pros

Great management, employee discounts, fun place to be

Cons

long hours, no protection from sun

Hard Work With Little Compensation

Just really long hours and it doesn’t feel worth minimum wage. The managers preach friendship but get upset when employees talk to one another during their shifts. The people were really chill but the “overly fake happy managers” made things very awkward. Also, they did monthly checkins where they would watch you work and give you a grade. Kinda over the top for such a low paying job.

Pros

Snacks on Special Occasions

Cons

Long Hours with minimum wage

Loved the people, hated the job

Working at Calaway was a good and bad experience. I really enjoyed the people I got to work with and the amount of money I made working there due to scheduled hours was great, but that was about it. The customers were always impolite, the hours were long with only a half an hour break (which was an actual 10 minute break because you had to walk all the way to the employee lounge and back to your work spot), and the uniforms were uncomfortable. Also the managers and leads didn’t care if you needed help and trying to reach Warehouse was annoying because they would either never pick up or bring the things you needed. I would only recommend working there for the work experience and the money.

Pros

Fun coworkers, good pay

Cons

Long hours, rude customers

Amazing and fun place to work, very caring environment

I didn't work at Calaway for very long. Due to covid-19, it was pretty slow compared to when I visited the park as a guest. I prefer a fast-paced environment. But while I was there I can happily say that that it was the best place I have ever worked. Employees are eager to work together and to make sure all staff and guests have an amazing time at the park. Calaway is the perfect summer job, especially if you're new to work because their training is very in-depth. Management is incredible when working with concerns from staff and guests.

Pros

Great management good pay fun environment great for a first job

Fun Fast Paced Work Environment for High School Students and Grads

Calaway Park is an extraordinary place to work. Operations at Calaway are fast-paced and exciting while remaining fun. Their expectations are high, but that helps their employees learn about the work environment. The management is friendly and approachable; they're always willing to listen and help with any issues that may arise. The workplace culture is welcoming; everyone is warm and friendly, and I made many friendships!

Pros

No day is the same

Cons

Very far away (high gas costs)

Fast Paced environment, where everyone can find a job that suites their skills and availability.

A very friendly and responsible environment. A lot of the jobs are for full-time positions and require a tedious amount of work. Very minimal room for error, the job is taken very seriously as most are high-risk jobs such as rides operating. Managers and Leads are all very kind and approachable.

Amazing work place!

Loved working at Calaway Park. It provides an amazing environment for students and recent high school graduates who are looking for work in the summer! Amazing job culture with work that encourages growth and work ethic development. Made a few life long friendships too!

Great First Time Job Management Needs Some Work

This is a great first job for high school students, learned a lot about being at the workplace. Pros: - Steady Paycheck - Lots of Training - Chance to learn everywhere you go - Continuous Guidance and supervision - Most of the guests are great and understand that this is your first job. Cons: - Management: Management is super unprofessional, they expect you to act like an adult while taking down at you and not fostering a culture of respect. Management will talk about you behind your back high-school style. - Other Workers Since a lot of workers are high schoolers there is a lot of drama to which you sometimes can't avoid. People will actively seek out drama and don't understand that you're there to work and not necessarily make friends (or enemies). - Some rude encounters with guests Like all other jobs that involve working with people, guests are sometimes entitled and don't want to follow park conduct.

Good for a summer job

The job's meant for high school students who have no work experience essentially. It was fun and easy and a good way to earn money during the summer. I would recommend it.

Needs work.

Working at Calaway was nothing but stress. Not to say there weren't any good times, but it was a very difficult job and the management was awful. Schedules were changed very often with little notice, and it was very often that we were understaffed due to the managers not booking enough people to work that day.

Pros

Good starter job, nice hours, a good place to make friends.

Cons

Poor schedule management, little notice when it came to the change of schedules.

Summer Job

Working here is a good first job. Demanding hours and working in the sun so be prepared. It was alright, the staff are nice, but you have to deal with a lot if people and they are strict on rules,

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calaway Park. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement