Cafe Landwer

Cafe Landwer Employee Reviews for Barista

Barista6 reviews

very stressful job

the pay is pretty good but the workload is really insane. the baristas are expected to do all drinks for the restaurant/third party/takeout, the desserts and some time consuming breakfast items, smoothies/acai bowls/shakes, restocking, daily cleaning duties, batch production, and being a cashier for takeout orders. You may have like 8 time consuming tickets and then you have to wait for someone to figure out what they want and order and weekends are absolutely insane. you have to do all that with getting a 10 minute break (maybe getting a break) with food that you buy from the restaurant- no shift meal. the pay is only good because with working with such little staff- theres gonna be a lot of tips. they'd rather everyone be running around like crazy then to pay an actual wage and it be easier to manage. management here is also kind of insane. MOST peoples hearts are in the right place- but there are so many moving parts that no one really is on the same page. the owner is two faced and only cares about the money and not his actual employees.One thing i will say is that if you work hard, theres always opportunity to grow in the company. Idk if its because their turnover is so high that they constantly need to fill positions or what.Also, the actual staff is incredible. personally- I'd also say run from this place.

Run while you can

This place is a mess. Great food. But a mess. Upper management is not supportive at all. The amount of work required for one person on the bar is insane. Working by yourself you have to prepare very time consuming and labor intensive drinks like juices, lattes, blended drinks and cocktails all while ringing people up in line, making prep for all the drinks, cleaning tasks, answering phone, dealing with take out orders on a tablet, preparing dessert orders, stocking. Again ALL BY YOURSELF. No set breaks. They required all employees know literally every single thing on the large menu including EVERY single ingredient and they test you on it. Multiple times. Employee turnover rate is insane, always short staffed. Constant changes made to the menu. It was just a mess and not worth the money. No benefits. Just run away from this place.

Fun workplace, but stressful!

Working for Cafe Landwer for the past year has been a pretty decent gig. Good news- pay is decent! since you split tips with other baristas, servers and the shift leader you can make anywhere from $100 to $150 on a busy day. Food and drinks are delicious and there's a lot of room for growth at this job. Staff is very kind and friendly, and I look forward to seeing my coworkers at my shifts. Bad news is that there's a huge lack in communication between staff and management. For example, some company information/menu items/policies have changed right under our noses without us knowing. Working in a fast-paced environment means that communication between everyone should be top notch but that isn't always the case! Additionally there NEED to be safer covid precautions in place. The customers can be a bit snobbish at times but since it's a cafe spot in an upper class area in Boston, that's to be expected. This job is NOT for people that get stressed out easily or have trouble multitasking. It's best if you're a high energy person that can learn information quickly, and keep a level head while dealing with customers.

Fast paced, and good place to learn

I've worked at Cafe Landwer for over a year and have found it to be a really rewarding time. The management is responsive and willing to help anybody advance who is willing to put in the time and energy. Generally you can make decent money if you show that you can handle a big section. They also do their best to honor time off requests so that you can have flexibility.

Pros

Flexibiltiy, willing to help you learn if you are new to the industry.

Cons

Can be busy and stressful at times.

Sometimes Stressful but a Lot of Fun

I've worked at this place for over a year as a barista. There is a lot to learn behind the bar and it takes time. Sometimes it can get a little stressful but the crew has always been fun and I've made a lot of friends by working here. There is flexibility in the schedule and it is diffidently possible to do while being a student!

Fun working Space!

I had a great time working here! Everyone is very friendly and everyone works together. They did have a shortage of baristas so it was hard when an issue arose and you had to get someone to cover of you were a barista.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cafe Landwer. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement