Cafe Landwer

Cafe Landwer Employee Reviews

Canada5 reviews
Working at Cafe Landwer was very fun. All of the staff are super nice and very welcoming. It can be very stressful on weekends due to the long lines, waiting lists and reservations.
In my 7+ years working in the food/hospitality industry, I've had my fair share of ridiculous (word fixed) management that I had to deal with. For most cases, since I've been in management myself, I know what it's like dealing with minor issues and complications in this industry. Landwer exceeds all of that. I don't know HOW they haven't had any issues establishing franchises all over the world and almost 5 in Canada but I don't expect it'll come to fruition unless their company culture changes. There is ONE specific person that handles almost everything in the stores in the GTA regardless of the matter (almost like a mascot). That person is not Mr. Landwer nor a manager. The relationships of the head chefs/management/gm/owners/shareholders are very fine and ambiguous. It's a very unnecessary complication but it has a lot to do with WHY it's a disaster (word fixed) in these stores.
Aside from work culture, in regards to the pay you should value yourself way more than Landwer does to its employees. Seriously. For the amount of duties (word fixed) they make you do, the level of money laundering is unreal. If you're going to underhand employees money, at least make it SEEM like you know what you're doing. This is what happens when you prioritize ethnicity over experience. If you've fallen for the blogTO promos and ig posts and you just feel like you have to work here, I suggest you get a list of contracts/agreements or any necessary proof of employment along with specific breakdowns of how things are handled for future references. This will save you. It's what damaged a lot of
 - more...
Pros
>50% off meals, staff friendliness
Cons
They choose your availability, Communications between management, Your tips are not your tips, Lots of talk not a lot of doing.
I had the worst time in my life working in this place, a lot of time I got an anxiety attack because of this job. Management super unprofessional treating all the front of house very poorly. Tips are very bad also for all the hard work, no one knows about where exactly the money goes.
Cons
long hours, bad tips, no staff meal, no respect
Management plays with favouritism all the times, any decision is made without their personal thoughts. They work with pool tipping but servers does not knows where is the money going, counting tips from the tips total instead of food sales as regular places. Also, they tip out 33% to the kitchen when is a very high percentage in comparison to other places and if you go and ask the kitchen staff they have never seen this money. General Manager includes herself on tips even days that are not scheduled as a manager, they call it "back up" but is just to stand beside kitchen and see if the food is coming out in order. after all, the general manager makes the same money in tips as a server that is been working for 7 hours.

This restaurant makes a lot of money in tips, it is a really busy place on weekends and all the staff works really hard for less money and for being treat as garbage.
Management is unprofessional, childish, play into favoritism, speak a foreign language around and about employees throughout the shift making you feel uncomfortable.
Worse part is pulling tips, when tip out it 33% to "kitchen" going back to management's pockets and supervisors get hourly tip out too (which is illegal as far as we know).
Cons
short hours, disrespectful, steal your tips for a day of hard work.