Cafe Landwer
Happiness score is 34 out of 100

Cafe Landwer Employee Reviews

Canada14 reviews

Want to forget how to cook?

Dirty, Cheap, Dirty,Craziest company I've worked at in my many many years experience. Dishwasher machine also often has no chemicals only Luke warm water. Their fresh ingredients are all frozen. They keep food on the floor. Often don't have a dishwasher because they want to save money. Resulting in cooks doing dishes and cooking YUK! Head MGT will make anybody a manager, if it means they don't have to work. You will 100% be overworked & underpaid at all locations.

Pros

Free food Room to grow

Cons

Long hours Bad pay Bad MGT Owners don't care Dirty dirty dirty.

Waste of time, only good for beginners

This place is only good to work at if you are just starting off and need to build experience. The managers take most of your tips and do not disclose how much they take, but they take around the same cut as you do. Technically illegal since they don't do work legally qualified to allow them to take a cut of your tips but they get away with it. They also are very cheap and try to cut your hours as much as possible, forcing you to sit out 30-60 mins before your shift, and 30-60 min breaks during your shift. So your 6 hour shift turns into a 4-5 hour shift. I left after 2 months for a better restaurant and now make on average quadruple what I made here in tips.

Insights into Cafe Landwer

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Ability to learn new things

Busy place and the tips suck

The worst part about working there was the owners are all over you all the time and demand so much send give so little. The staff are fun to work with and it was fun to be there but you can't get broken down everyday with constant negative conversations

Pros

Great food

Cons

The money wasn't what was promised

don't work

Kitchen manager don't know how to screen the resume .Waste of time.They just know basics knowledge.Need to hire some good management and staff.can do better.

Pros

Cons

whatever you can think.

Great company to work for!

Fun and fast paced. The managers really care about you unlike other chains I've worked for. Co-workers are fun and everyone gets along which is rare.

Great place to work with tons of opportunities to grow as long as your willing to work for it . Overall great company that will take care of you .

Great company to work for , very flexible with hours of work. Great at recognizing their employees value and aren't shy of promoting and rewarding individuals that deserve the opportunity.

Fun workplace, varied management

Location I work at was very busy in the summer, very slow in the winter (plus covid makes it worse). Fun place to work at, coworkers are very nice and friendly. Managers are hit or miss.

Pros

Free coffee and tea, discounted food, fun staff

Cons

You get cut really early if it's a slow day, no free meals on shift, management varies depending on who is on shift

Terrible kitchen! DO NOT WORK

The hygiene standards there are beyond terrible. Cooking raw meat over cooked meat? Leaving raw meat out at room temp for a day? People have fallen sick before and I'm surprised they haven't been reported/shut down yet.Fast paced place for minimum wage. Management doesn't care about staff health and could give a rats a** about government regulations regarding covid. They'd still expect you to come in to work no matter how sick you are. All of their food comes out of cans and is mostly frozen. If you're a cook who wants to learn more about food stay clear of this place, you'll mostly practice bad habits and learn nothing.

Pros

Free staff meals. You can eat on the line (gross), Free coffee which is really good stuff actually, Provides uniforms when they have it otherwise you're working in whatever you came in.

Cons

Pretty much everything else ESPECIALLY THEIR HYGIENE HOLY

Great for those new to service, not so great for those with experience

The tips are pooled and shared with EVERYONE, so if you are experienced looking for good tips- not a great spot. Gets busy, pay is minimum (12.20) with tips, or about $14 if you are a hostess (who does not get tip out), and not worth it in my opinion if you have serving experience. The management and owners are very nice, overall a great workplace environment, with opportunity to move up (slowly) if you work hard enough, but at that point the pay is not worth it anyway.

DO NOT ever work at any Landwer franchises

In my 7+ years working in the food/hospitality industry, I've had my fair share of ridiculous (word fixed) management that I had to deal with. For most cases, since I've been in management myself, I know what it's like dealing with minor issues and complications in this industry. Landwer exceeds all of that. I don't know HOW they haven't had any issues establishing franchises all over the world and almost 5 in Canada but I don't expect it'll come to fruition unless their company culture changes. There is ONE specific person that handles almost everything in the stores in the GTA regardless of the matter (almost like a mascot). That person is not Mr. Landwer nor a manager. The relationships of the head chefs/management/gm/owners/shareholders are very fine and ambiguous. It's a very unnecessary complication but it has a lot to do with WHY it's a disaster (word fixed) in these stores. Aside from work culture, in regards to the pay you should value yourself way more than Landwer does to its employees. Seriously. For the amount of duties (word fixed) they make you do, the level of money laundering is unreal. If you're going to underhand employees money, at least make it SEEM like you know what you're doing. This is what happens when you prioritize ethnicity over experience. If you've fallen for the blogTO promos and ig posts and you just feel like you have to work here, I suggest you get a list of contracts/agreements or any necessary proof of employment along with specific breakdowns of how things are handled for future references. This will save you. It's what damaged a lot of -

Pros

>50% off meals, staff friendliness

Cons

They choose your availability, Communications between management, Your tips are not your tips, Lots of talk not a lot of doing.

Fun, but fast paced work environment

Working at Cafe Landwer was very fun. All of the staff are super nice and very welcoming. It can be very stressful on weekends due to the long lines, waiting lists and reservations.

the worst time in my work experience

I had the worst time in my life working in this place, a lot of time I got an anxiety attack because of this job. Management super unprofessional treating all the front of house very poorly. Tips are very bad also for all the hard work, no one knows about where exactly the money goes.

Cons

long hours, bad tips, no staff meal, no respect

Unprofessional management and probably illegal place to work

Management plays with favouritism all the times, any decision is made without their personal thoughts. They work with pool tipping but servers does not knows where is the money going, counting tips from the tips total instead of food sales as regular places. Also, they tip out 33% to the kitchen when is a very high percentage in comparison to other places and if you go and ask the kitchen staff they have never seen this money. General Manager includes herself on tips even days that are not scheduled as a manager, they call it "back up" but is just to stand beside kitchen and see if the food is coming out in order. after all, the general manager makes the same money in tips as a server that is been working for 7 hours. This restaurant makes a lot of money in tips, it is a really busy place on weekends and all the staff works really hard for less money and for being treat as garbage.

Nice restaurant but horrible place to work

Management is unprofessional, childish, play into favoritism, speak a foreign language around and about employees throughout the shift making you feel uncomfortable. Worse part is pulling tips, when tip out it 33% to "kitchen" going back to management's pockets and supervisors get hourly tip out too (which is illegal as far as we know).

Cons

short hours, disrespectful, steal your tips for a day of hard work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cafe Landwer. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement