Cafe Landwer

Cafe Landwer Employee Reviews

DO NOT ever work at any Landwer franchises

In my 7+ years working in the food/hospitality industry, I've had my fair share of ridiculous (word fixed) management that I had to deal with. For most cases, since I've been in management myself, I know what it's like dealing with minor issues and complications in this industry. Landwer exceeds all of that. I don't know HOW they haven't had any issues establishing franchises all over the world and almost 5 in Canada but I don't expect it'll come to fruition unless their company culture changes. There is ONE specific person that handles almost everything in the stores in the GTA regardless of the matter (almost like a mascot). That person is not Mr. Landwer nor a manager. The relationships of the head chefs/management/gm/owners/shareholders are very fine and ambiguous. It's a very unnecessary complication but it has a lot to do with WHY it's a disaster (word fixed) in these stores. Aside from work culture, in regards to the pay you should value yourself way more than Landwer does to its employees. Seriously. For the amount of duties (word fixed) they make you do, the level of money laundering is unreal. If you're going to underhand employees money, at least make it SEEM like you know what you're doing. This is what happens when you prioritize ethnicity over experience. If you've fallen for the blogTO promos and ig posts and you just feel like you have to work here, I suggest you get a list of contracts/agreements or any necessary proof of employment along with specific breakdowns of how things are handled for future references. This will save you. It's what damaged a lot of -

Pros

>50% off meals, staff friendliness

Cons

They choose your availability, Communications between management, Your tips are not your tips, Lots of talk not a lot of doing.

Terrible kitchen! DO NOT WORK

The hygiene standards there are beyond terrible. Cooking raw meat over cooked meat? Leaving raw meat out at room temp for a day? People have fallen sick before and I'm surprised they haven't been reported/shut down yet.Fast paced place for minimum wage. Management doesn't care about staff health and could give a rats a** about government regulations regarding covid. They'd still expect you to come in to work no matter how sick you are. All of their food comes out of cans and is mostly frozen. If you're a cook who wants to learn more about food stay clear of this place, you'll mostly practice bad habits and learn nothing.

Pros

Free staff meals. You can eat on the line (gross), Free coffee which is really good stuff actually, Provides uniforms when they have it otherwise you're working in whatever you came in.

Cons

Pretty much everything else ESPECIALLY THEIR HYGIENE HOLY

Great for those new to service, not so great for those with experience

The tips are pooled and shared with EVERYONE, so if you are experienced looking for good tips- not a great spot. Gets busy, pay is minimum (12.20) with tips, or about $14 if you are a hostess (who does not get tip out), and not worth it in my opinion if you have serving experience. The management and owners are very nice, overall a great workplace environment, with opportunity to move up (slowly) if you work hard enough, but at that point the pay is not worth it anyway.

Fun, but fast paced work environment

Working at Cafe Landwer was very fun. All of the staff are super nice and very welcoming. It can be very stressful on weekends due to the long lines, waiting lists and reservations.

the worst time in my work experience

I had the worst time in my life working in this place, a lot of time I got an anxiety attack because of this job. Management super unprofessional treating all the front of house very poorly. Tips are very bad also for all the hard work, no one knows about where exactly the money goes.

Cons

long hours, bad tips, no staff meal, no respect

Unprofessional management and probably illegal place to work

Management plays with favouritism all the times, any decision is made without their personal thoughts. They work with pool tipping but servers does not knows where is the money going, counting tips from the tips total instead of food sales as regular places. Also, they tip out 33% to the kitchen when is a very high percentage in comparison to other places and if you go and ask the kitchen staff they have never seen this money. General Manager includes herself on tips even days that are not scheduled as a manager, they call it "back up" but is just to stand beside kitchen and see if the food is coming out in order. after all, the general manager makes the same money in tips as a server that is been working for 7 hours. This restaurant makes a lot of money in tips, it is a really busy place on weekends and all the staff works really hard for less money and for being treat as garbage.

Nice restaurant but horrible place to work

Management is unprofessional, childish, play into favoritism, speak a foreign language around and about employees throughout the shift making you feel uncomfortable. Worse part is pulling tips, when tip out it 33% to "kitchen" going back to management's pockets and supervisors get hourly tip out too (which is illegal as far as we know).

Cons

short hours, disrespectful, steal your tips for a day of hard work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cafe Landwer. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9