Cactus Club Cafe
Happiness score is 65 out of 100

Cactus Club Cafe Employee Reviews

Highly stressful environment with little rewards

Expect to put in all your energy at this company and not receiving enough in exchange. Pay rates are little, usually minimum or close to minimum wages with no benefits whatsoever, not even paid 15 min breaks.

Pros

Culturally diverse environments

Cons

Long hours without breaks

Under compensated for hard work

I would not recommend working for this company to anyone. There would be weeks where I left at 4:00AM every night and would be one of only 2 people in my position who would get scheduled to close. Even if you tell management that you can’t close they don’t do anything about it and your schedule doesn’t change. At other times I would talk to management about my wage because I would get paid less than coworkers in positions lower than me and nothing would get changed. There is also very little advancement in this company so even if you want to advance and are ready to advance to a higher position they are not willing to train anybody. It also took me 3 and a half years to quit this company after being promised promotions all the time and they almost never happened.

Cons

Long Hours, Late nights, Low pay, No benefits

expect to be exploited, overworked, and underpaid

This job is very stressful. Often the new hires are not trained properly, and everything (repreps, environment, etc) falls on one or two people. And you only get minimum wage. Most raises that you earn (beg for) go on your tips and not your hourly. You don't get benefits until you become sous chef. There's no overtime pay (which means working for free because we're so unferstaffed). Cooks have been scheduled for up to 14 consecutive days. It's very difficult to get a food break (whether 15 or 30 minutes), again, because of understaffing. And if you do get a break, a lot of the time management will make you stay an extra 15-30 minutes past your 8 hours, depending on how long of a break you took. This company does not care about its employees. Work-life balance is incredibly difficult to achieve, especially when sous chefs are constantly phoning/texting you asking you to buy product, or changing your schedule with little to no notice. Management will often put all their effort into training one promising employee rather than training everyone equally to ensure a balanced team. The more stations and prep you know, the more they will exploit you. Raises are few and far between, and I've even been told I'm getting a raise, but it was just minimum wage increasing. The chefs will force this company's ideology down your throat and expect you to swallow and say thank you. I could go on for so much longer but I think I've said enough. I really can't recommend against working here enough. The only reason I still work here is the people. The kitchen team is full of great people who are -

Pros

team is full of likable people who are fun to work with

Cons

literally everything else

Fast paced, only for the strong minded and hardworking

If you're in the mood for a stressful fast paced work environment, welcome to cactus club. One of the busiest restaurants in coquitlam and one of the highest rated. The food is good and some of the staff are nice. I learned alot about hardworking, speed and non stop endurance. The only problem about cactus club is when you're in the back (Specifically dishwashers) your just a number and not a person. You lose all forms of humanity when you walk through the door. If that doesnt bother you, you'll love the job.

Pros

Sometimes free food

Cons

Very hard work and you feel like a number

Worst Job/ Nightmare

Working at cactus was my biggest mistake. The management didn’t care about their employees. I gave them my availability when they hired me and reminded them about that every week but they never honoured that. I always had to compromise my other commitments for this job. The co workers were also not inclusive. I was hired as a line cook but I was rarely given a chance to learn cooking. I was mostly told to either sweep line or wash dishes. I was made to stay till the end for some reason. When I went to talk about this no one responded because of which I resigned. Also no body actually cares it is a big company if one line cook leaves they will hire two more. Just saying be aware. I am a sous chef working at an Italian restaurant if someone reading this is wondering.

Pros

50%off on meals

Cons

Everything else

Recommend if your new to the industry and also need job experience

Cactus Club is probably one the few places i recommend people to work at, management team is pretty good. You just need to meet expectations that are laid out, and show up to work on time, the more engaged you are, the more responsive your coworkers are. The job work/Life balance really depends on how you are as a person, learning to time manage and prioritize what you need to do will help you succeed in general. What i loved about cactus club was that they were really understanding and supportive of mental health needs, conversations were always good. Difficult to move up the chain though, unless management thinks your going absolutely above and beyond day in and day out, but even then, kitchen environments in general favour men, and people have lives outside of work. Most enjoyable part of the job was the coworkers.

Pros

coworkers

Cons

hard to move up unless you are really experienced.

Fun place to work when your young but not sustainable

Cactus Club is definitely a fun, exciting place to work while you are a young and attractive individual who has an "outgoing" personality that this company looks for.However, I will say that this company likes to use and abuse young attractive people in their prime time. There is no job security, unless you are going for management. They will eat you up alive and spit you back out eventually when they are done with you. Depending on how much the management team likes you, you will strive in the workplace. If they don't like you there is no way you are getting promoted hunny.

Pros

Making friends, fun environtment

Cons

toxic culture, favoritism, competitive, girls who are full of themselves dying to be a server in the lounge side

great coworkers, bad management heads

Hmm, the management heads are not good people. They try to pass as caring but at the end of the day all they care about is money, not you. They don't do any real work unless their own boss is around, they will let you suffer on your own during rushes. They offer no support. If you get on their bad side they will ice you out and make your life miserable.

Pros

made cool friends

Cons

Lol

Productive if you have no dreams of advancement (AB ONLY)

First and foremost, don’t work for macleod trail! The possibility of advancement is zero. “Aces in their places”, or a nice way of the sous chefs telling you they are too lazy to train, and management is unwilling to put those training hours down. Inconsistency is the name of the game, with no follow ups, so the inconsistency stays pretty consistent unfortunately. Work life balance is horrible, with the scheduling app GIVING YOU a start and end time, BUT only the start time is enforced. There is no care about your personal life, responsibilities, or even your set availability. Really great company culture, if only it could be followed. Kitchen is RUN DOWN to the point the steamer leaks boiling hot water and scalds you when it hits you. The equipment does not facilitate learning, efficiency, or cleanliness. Management on both ends constantly bad mouth other employees around people, leaving you wondering what they say about you when you leave. Stay away from MAC T if you want to keep your passion for food service.

Pros

Great boh & foh staff to work with

Cons

No work life balance, terrible equipment, run down kitchen, no room for advancement

Wonderful.

I had such great managers. They really helped me grow in the industry. Flexible with people wha have school and work. I made good friends. Wonderful training by week 2 I was confident to get on line all by myself.

Pros

Great managers. Flexible with school work.

Jobs at Cactus Club Cafe

See more jobs

Terrible Cut-throat, ego brown nosing.

Started out ok, they give you in house money to use only at cactus for rewards, no pay increase even when you make Jr souc chef, your minimal wage increases is your pay raise. Lots of brown nosing massive popularity contest, you can be a terrible cook and promoted because your well liked or invest in the company. Tip pool is corrupt, make no mistake if you are struggling your team will not help you and laugh as you struggle even if your new and tell management this is why you don’t fit here so they get better shot at promotion.

Pros

Starting wage is better by 1$

Cons

Hostile work environment, unsafe covid protocol

Cactus club are penny pinchers, they will cut staff and screw over their team if it meant to save a few bucks. Stressful work environment and the occasional temper tantrum from the chef's, high expectations, low pay, you are not treated well here, working here feels like you are slowly chipping away at your sanity and dignity. Perfectionism reigns supreme and you are expected to work like an impeccable unfeeling automaton. If you make a mistake you will be hearing about it from 6 different managers.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, low pay, hostile work environment.

Fast paced, modern styled bar, I enjoyed it!

I worked at cactus club for almost 3 years. I had amazing opportunities that they gave me, I started as a hostess, and worked my way into the bar. I enjoyed the people I worked with, and I appreciated how management respected their staff.

Pros

50% off food!

Cons

Weird hours

Never work at Cactus Club

This entire restaurant is a joke. The managers are rude and act like teenagers when they’re 35+, they break COVID-19 safety rules, and treat their staff very badly.

Pros

Fun PART-TIME job

Cons

Rude/Irresponsible managers, have to be “pretty”

Cliquey

Every location is very different based on the staff and clientele.There was a lot of favouritism with management. However Cactus did provide the best training overall. Great place to start in the industry.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Small sections

Workplace Culture

Cactus Club is new to Toronto but it has deep roots in Vancouver Canada, that is where it gets its great workplace culture. The vibe of the people they hire alwasy seem to mesh well together and get along so well. They are always trying to improve and have very strong core values that they do their best to achieve everyday.

Pros

Workplace culture is great, 50% of food while working

Cons

Long or too short of hours, low salary for junior managers. No benifits.

Server

The management is impeccable at Cactus Club, they really know how to run a successful business. I got to meet smart individuals who want to see you thrive at work.

Exceptional place with incredible people if you can manage yourself

Upper management needs to work on development and strength of their team to be able to lead adequately. The support does not exist, the job security does not exist, favourites are played and you are frequently asking about why you're there. That is until you develop friendships with some of the most incredible people you've ever met FOH and BOH. Good people want to work for the best company, and overall, this place is. It's only the location that I worked at last that is so so poor. Do yourself a favour and investigate the leadership at the locations you have nearest to you before making a decision. It makes a MASSIVE difference in how much you love this company.

Pros

Quick & Easy Money

Cons

Never feeling good enough

Productive Workplace

Productive workplace with really great staff and people who create a healthy work environment. They really value their employees and all that they bring to the company.

Terrible culture

Usually its a question of performance or dedication to long hours but a combination of both still won't promote you. If you don't fit in with the crowd you won't have much of a future. The odd manager will coach you however the majority of the time is a sink or swim environment. Pay is bare minimum

Pros

the customer base

Cons

the colleague base

Poor pay

Tricks are all over the place You get to be told something that makes thing they doing fair things but than you relized your fooled and tricked Pay is horrible Management looking for using you as much as possible to suck your whole energy than pay you nothing

Pros

Cons

Pay, mangment from Chef to FOH. All working against you

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cactus Club Cafe. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement