Cactus Club Cafe Employee Reviews

Fun place to work if you need experience
Line Cook / Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 July 2018
Great enviroment and place to work for students and young adults

build your kitchen skills under the supervision of trained chefs

build your personal and work life in a positive manner
Friendly staff and management although sometimes high strung
Dishwasher/Food Prep (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC29 June 2018
I was promised when i applied that i would be able to move up to a line cook within a month or two but after two months of doing as they asked and pestering them about moving up i was informed that i would have to wait a further 2-3 months before i would even get to be trained to move up which was quite disheartening to hear. As well i feel like the isolation of my job left the management in the dark about the full extents of my abilities and they ended up moving up other employees who when i worked with had slightly unsatisfactory work in my eyes since many of the dishes that they would wash would not even be fully clean, yet they are allowed to begin to move up without even having a firm background in dishwashing.
Pros
Free food when chefs mess up
Cons
late hours (3am)
Fast paced and awful scheduling
Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC10 June 2018
Expeditors and hostesses don't get included in the tip pool. Expos are treated awfully. Managers were always micromanaging everything. If you apply to be a server, they will try to start you off as an expo or host to "prepare" you for the serving role and they tell you that you will be a server in a few months, when really they will keep you in that job for as long as you can. The scheduling is awful. They tell you there's so many employees that it's super easy to switch shifts when really it's super difficult to get anyone to take your shift. Asked for 2 shifts a week MAX as I am in school, and they scheduled me 4 shifts every week. There are no benefits and everyone is extremely petty. I called in sick ONE time and I was questioned if I was really even sick, and then told I need to come in for 3 hours. Didn't care about my well-being at all. Big corporation that only cares about themselves. You are also told you need to arrive and be ON THE FLOOR WORKING 15 minutes before your shift begins, but you do not get paid for it.

DO NOT WORK FOR CACTUS, you're better off getting a job at Walmart or Earl's, they treat their employees better there.
Pros
Nice employees
Cons
rude managers, low wage, busy workplace
high standards for safety and cleanliness, as well as food quality
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 May 2018
I worked at cactus club before working elsewhere in the industry, and I didn't fully appreciate the degree to which they look after the important details of running a restaurant. They keep their kitchens clean and observe safe food handling procedures to the letter.

The food quality is also a cut above, and the kitchen management was very knowledgeable. I recall the sous chef at Cactus Club freaking out at me only once, when I allowed a pan to heat to the point where they oil was smoking. Working there made me a better cook, and although the cleaning was difficult, the shift always went by quickly at the end, because everyone knew what to do, and they inspected everything closely, so you knew you weren't putting in effort for nothing (they maintained a high standard).
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
no free lunches
Fun Work Environment
SERVER/BARTENDER (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 May 2018
I loved working at Cactus Club in both Edmonton and Vancouver. The energy is always fun and the food was amazing and easy to sell. Management was always there to lend a helping hand. The hardest part of the job was getting the best hours. You really have to work your way up...
Great Overall but lacks benifits
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 April 2018
A typical day is very fast paced. If you're leaning you probably shouldn't be there. Management is almost always the best and the culture they created is very welcoming to all types and they expect the same from you. The hardest part of working here is... well I'm not sure I found a groove and never found I had many in problems. Can't say the same for other kitchens. Cactus Club is very unique for that.
Pros
Cons
I left.
very well trained positions.
Hostess, Server, Office manager, Floor manager (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC25 April 2018
Very Good for learning communications skills. hard work ethic. I learned so much about engaging people. Work culture was good for staff who wanted to immerse themselves into wok. the most enjoyable part of the job was atmosphere was usually positive,
Fun and good experience
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 April 2018
Always have the chance to learn something new each day. Also enhanced my skills in communicating, and taking orders quickly. Another thing i learned was to be reliable or known as to be on time for work.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Overtime hours
Proud to have worked for this company
Senior Lounge Server (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC14 April 2018
Something I learned while working in the restaurant industry was that the more you gave the more you received. The harder you worked during each of your shifts, the better you felt by the end of them. I hope to find that to be applicable to future careers and to life in general. Cactus is a exceptional company who treat their employees with upmost respect and I will always think highly of the workplace they offer.
50% off while working and Sunday funday of $25
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 April 2018
I love it there! It is a great way to meet new people as there is over 100 staff members. Everybody even including managers are very kind. The power distance is also a respectable one.
Pros
Good money for when in school
Cons
Not enough time for proper breaks
Entry level position at the beginning of my work career. Fun fast-paced environment.
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 April 2018
Greeting, engaging with staff and customers. Serving clientele and learning how to balance heavy plates of food/drinks without tripping, falling and inadvertently dumping them on unsuspecting customers. it was a fast-paced, easy-going environment at the time, that apparently has mutated to a multi-faceted corporation. I was there at the beginning. The hardest part of this job was balancing many hot plates at once without spilling. The most enjoyable part of this job was interaction with a variety of people.
Pros
Good owners and staff
Cons
Travel time to work
Great place to work for
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC9 April 2018
Cactus Club is a great company to work for for young individuals while in school or the developing life stages... hard to leave because of the tips and fun atmosphere.
Pros
Networking, tips, company culture
Cons
Unpaid breaks, low pay for shift leaders and long hours
You need to be on 100% of the time or say goodbye to your job
Shift Leader/Server/Tranier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 April 2018
Cactus hires based on their values and doesn't allow for change and growth. It ruly is a Cactus Cult, so drink the kool-aid and smile or say good bye to your job.
not bad
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC2 April 2018
ok place to work at, ok place to start your culinary career, small kitchen. You can apply without experience and they will be willing to train you....
Pass the time
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 April 2018
This kitchen is for absolute beginners or those just looking for a means of income. The food is unimaginative and mundane. The sous chefs are just guys who were not good enough to make it in finer or more upscale restaurants. Save your time and your soul, just seek out a more classical and from scratch restaurant.
Great overal moral with the company
Server/ Server Trainer/ Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK5 March 2018
Was a great environment to learn customer service and interpersonal skill development. Management is always trying to help you improve everyone is friends and gets along great
Pros
50% off cactus food
i loved cactus club
kitchen partner (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC2 March 2018
i liked cactus club but it also sucked because i never got any where there i stayed in the same potion for a year but when i did get moved i was very happy. i got fired from cactus
Fun workplace
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC1 March 2018
Learned a lot about people and building my people skills. Learned so much about myself and grew a lot as a person, my customer service experience was amazing here. Am so comfortable working with people now.
Awesome work environment and even better people to work with
Hostess (Former Employee) –  South Surrey, BC26 February 2018
Working at Cactus Club has taught me so many life lessons and allowed me to share some of the major milestones in my life with an amazing work family. I learnt the value of teamwork and communications through being apart of the front desk team for 2 years. Coming to work every day was always enjoyable and even on days when my mood was a little off, my work family always knew how to cheer me up.
Fun and friendly environment
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 February 2018
I enjoyed my time working at Cactus Club. Everyone was friendly and worked as a team to ensure customer satisfaction. The company promotes an equal opportunity for moving up and provides constant support for a healthy work/life balance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cactus Club Cafe. Our community is ready to answer.