Cactus Club Cafe
Happiness score is 64 out of 100

Cactus Club Cafe Employee Reviews

Canada379 reviews

Fast-paced work environment

Fast-paced work environment. As with any job there are positives and negatives. Positives: recruiting your friends is encouraged to work in a fun atmosphere, making friends at work is easy, fast cash. Negatives: shifts can be short or long depending on day shift or night shift and is often competitive depending on how much management likes you (there is a very obvious favouritism culture), grey area for getting paid when they 'cut' you (serving section is now closed) as you are paid for 30 minutes after your 'cut' time and need to ask management to extend when you are there longer for duties/waiting on tables still in your section.

Nice place to work.

It is a nice place to work, but the salaries can be improved and better sometimes for the amount of things you have to do. But other than that good atmosphere, and nice people around.

Pros

Nice management, people and culture.

Cons

Salaries can be better.

Insights into Cactus Club Cafe

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility

Overworked

Was meant to be a porter but put into a expo and just ended up staying there. To move up you have to have everyone like you, it just seems like highschool. Everything is micro managed and mistakes are not welcomed.

Stressful and unfair pay

I was excited to work at cactus club as it’s one of the known restaurants. I had previous experience but I was told to start from the bottom again and promised I will get promoted. But the truth was they promise you to get promoted but never do despite all the hard work so finally left.Supervisors/ managers are always picking up favourites including siblings their partners(boyfriends, girlfriends, best friends). The pay rate for front desk is not equivalent to the amount of work we had to do including the servers work while they chit chat and we are expected to do half their work. Overall cactus is a great restaurant but the work environment doesn’t match the name and popularity of the restaurant.

Ok place to work

Great learning experience, great staff, great managers & supervisors. Can be stressful if things are not submitted on time, or errors throughout the day.

good good place

I love here, so nice partners and food, everything is so so nice, but long working hour is challenging. working culture, management, salary, and free food is good.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

Good on resume, but you are just a number

Sous chefs were great, the team was wonderful. But when you go on medical leave for a sickness, or have health issues, they will replace you immediately. Management doesn’t care about your well being.

Good working environment, welcoming staff and co-workers.

Great work environment, very welcoming staff and co-workers. You feel a great sense of belonging. Wish I knew how demanding of a workplace this was before I applied. Long hours, non negotiable hours when availability is given.

Pros

Great working environment

Cons

Long hours, unfair management.

Lots of fun

A very fun job but it can be very fast paced and stressful. A lot of people get moved up quickly so it often happens where no one knows how to do some advanced things. Seems like a high turn around rate.

Pros

Fun place to work

Cons

Don’t get paid enough, no benefits

fast paced and fun

very fast paced but great place to meet new people. can be stressful at times but overall good and good discount on food while you’re working. can have long hours

Boring and stressfull

Not the best experience. Have to be a dishwasher for 3 months at least before you get to do anything. Pretty boring and dirty. A lot of people and not a lot of money

Crazy envrionment

The managers are very passive aggressive and I found the work environment very stressful. As an expo I would be on my feet for 8 hours without any break and it was extremely tiring.

met great people

i met some of my best friend working here and what made the job fun was the people. company wants cactus to be your whole life which is unfair at times and a little culty but overall made great memories and met the best people

Fun workplace and hard work/ very busy kitchen, terrible pay for amount of work. Sous chefs ask you to come in while sick and downplay COVID.

Have worked at cactus club cafe for 2 years now. Pay rate has not changed at all, very cheap company. Room for advancement is minimal with a crazy amount of effort to advance. Pay for Sous chefs is not great, and they must work a ton. Sous chefs talk bad to employees about other employees. Overall a backstabbing/politics culture style kitchen. Fun + stressful work environment most the time, their apprentice program to go to culinary school would be beneficial for employees. This job will provide you with strong skills to be successful at other jobs. If you are new to kitchens, this is a great start for a one year job.

Fun but stressful.

I’ve met some amazing people working here. However the job is very exhausting and you are expected to do the most while getting payed the least. Very few are actually recognized for their hard work and you have to fight to be seen and to even have a break sometimes. Management however was really wonderful and kind. There is also always tons of drama at the front desk as most of the girls don’t get along with each other. Because of that the cattiness and drama did sometimes take over and made the shift more stressful and exhausting than necessary. Overall while there are many downsides I do enjoy this job and the cool people I met and became friends with.

Pros

People

Cons

Drama, no breaks

Lots of opportunity to develop new skills

good yet extensive training process. chance to take on a lot of shifts and get to know the Toronto restaurant scene / goers better. overall a cool experience

Great Environment For Growth

Cactus club cafe is a great environment for developing cooks to learn valuable cooking skills to help them advance. Cross training seems to be consistent.

Unfair pay and unfair treatment

I would never recommend working at cactus club to anyone i know, the way i personally was treated there was horrible by management, my coworkers and by customers. The managers are poorly trained and do not know how to deal with conflict. The back of the restaurant is disgusting and it smells horrible. You are not allowed to use the same rest rooms as the customers, instead you have to use one in the back. The location I worked at did not provide toilet paper or soap. Horrible experience, met horrible people too.

Sexism and picking favourites

This place is riddled with sexism and the managers pick favourites so you can't get any good shifts. The moral is pretty bad because the managers don't trust or respect anyone.

Cons

Bad shifts, sexist management

Job experience depends on the people and your personality

I spent less than a year working at Cactus Club Cafe in Coquitlam as a dishwasher. On some days, there isn't enough people working in the kitchen so you get physically and mentally stressed and burnt out.There were both generous, professional people and mean, aggressive, arragont people working in there. In the end, I resigned because I could no longer maintain a good working relationship with some of the people. If you can work under stressful, fast-paced environment well with a tough mindset and thick skin, than this is a job for you.

Pros

50% discount for staff meal, $1 per hour tip (for kitchen workers)

Cons

no guaranteed two 15 minute break during an 8 hour shift, no paid time offs or vacation days for part time workers

Good place if you get good management but horrible if management is bad

Some locations are nice but some were horrible. Very busy, barely any breaks. Should get paid more for the work. At least they are flexible with the hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cactus Club Cafe. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement