Cactus Club Cafe Employee Reviews

great place to work with amazing co-workers
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 February 2019
Great places to work with even greater people to work with. Long hours but with all the help you get to go by fast. Dish place was a bit unorganized but with the help if extra people it was very easy to get organized again.
Pros
great teamwork
Cons
Very long hours
Strict and not very nice to work for as a host.. serving maybe
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC5 February 2019
As a hostess you are treated like the bottom of the barrel, you are half doorman, half janitor and more of a robot than anything else. You are required to open the door for every person who walks in and if you miss it, you're in trouble. I once had an entire 8 hour shift just on the door opening and closing it, even better one of the doors was missing and it was October. Freezing and pointless because one side was already open, it was silly.
You are not aloud to answer the phone or take to go orders, so you're pretty much stuck doing nothing a lot of the time. one time I took a take out order (incredibly easy and helpful for managers/staff when they're preoccupied like in this example) because the man on the phone was in a rush to order for his office and complained before about being late because we took so long to take his order.. the manager was fine with me taking it until she messed up the order and later told the general manager what I did and he wrote me up for it. - although it was all well and good when I helped her out because she was busy and I had was trying to make the customer happy.
You are meant to sweep and do bathroom checks every 15 minutes, set up all reservations, flip the day set up to evening set up, greet and seat, you are required to wear a blazer as a hostess even in the summer, and you are required to wear heels. Basically, one of the worst jobs I've ever had. Not because of what we had to do, but how little respect you get as a hostess considering how much you do. Maybe it was just the location, I've heard lots of good things about other locations
  more... but cactus Langley was full of gossiping, insensitive, ungrateful for lack of a better word jerks... for the most part.  less
Pros
fun environment, music and djs
Cons
minimum wage, poorly treated
Depending on the position, good job.
Busser (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC27 January 2019
My position was terrible to work in since I was the only one and got pushed around frequently. All in all it's a good place to work because of the people that work there, I would go back if I was in a bind moneywise, just not to the same position,
Pros
Good people, decent discount
Cons
Long hours, not alot of advancement
High stress environment and staff
Dishwasher/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 January 2019
Cactus Club is a premier restaurant with great food and a great atmosphere, and as a customer I will never stop recommending it to people. As an employee, though, I can't recommend working there. Hectic is a complete understatement about the environment there. Restaurant capacity is over 400, and I've seen it at capacity. Cooking lines are a war zone, sou chefs are on top of their game, but in that high stress situation, can be somewhat abusive to other workers who make a mistake. They sometimes act like one delayed dish is the end of the world. Dish pit was just as bad, backed up and both kitchen and front of house staff yelling at you for whatever it is they need at the time, usually everything at once. Food Prep was the only station that wasn't overwhelming.
Pros
50% discount on food, free fountain drinks/coffee
Cons
high stress, long hours, overwhelming
Good management
Lead Hostess (Former Employee) –  Coal Harbour, BC23 January 2019
I liked the management good employees to work with, fun environment but the pay wasn't good as we did'nt make any tips as a hostess but overall it was good
Pros
50% off one food per day
Cons
poor salary
Cactus Club taught me so much
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 January 2019
Prioritization, professionalism, customer service, quality assurance, friendliness, selflessness, the list can keep going on the qualities I had to balance and grow in order to excel at Cactus Club.
As soon as I proved myself and I showed focus on moving up their establishment, I was given the opportunity to advance and take on more responsibility.
Best Company to work for
Private Dining Room Server (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 January 2019
One of the best systems and mangement teams to work with. Mangement is always there to support you and help you excell in your business. forget what other people say about Cactus. It is one of the best managed, systemized companies to work for and with.
fun place to work. management is young and great.
BAR MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC15 January 2019
I learned so much working for this company. things like team work, leadership, and most of all i liked how the staff was all young, fun friendly and outgoing.
Pros
food discounts
Server (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 January 2019
If what you want is a young hip environment run by a beast of a head office, this is a great place. Management seems to be very professional at most restaurants, and the people are great to work with.
FUN place
Kitchen chef (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 January 2019
fun place to work
learned how to communicate
very busy workplace
learned to be humble
met a lot of new friends from the restaurant
learned leadership in the restarunt
Fast Paced and Exciting Job!
Lead Host (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 December 2018
Working at Cactus Club is a great opportunity for young people to gain experience in problem solving, professionalism, and teamwork. It was very fast paced and there are many opportunities to grown in the company. The job was enjoyable depending on the season and the amount of people working in your team at the time. I worked overtime quite a bit with only one 15 minute break in a day, which made days quite long and exhausting. There were also a lot of very angry/rude customers, but luckily they train you to be able to adapt and handle those situations. Being below the age of 19, it was a great place to make good money as a first time job, it was also amazing work experience and I was able to grow while also showcasing my own skills. Managers were very helpful as well, depending on the person, each one of them excelled in their own way, so I would go to different managers for help with different things.
Pros
Amazing experience, lots of opportunity
Cons
Long hours, short lunches
Fun but draining
Regular Lead (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 December 2018
while the culture and fast pace of the kitchen can be fun. doing it every day for 9 to 10 hours gets very tiring. At first I loved the kitchen and the rush that came with it, however the turn over and constant burning out of other cooks leads to a emotionally and physically draining environment
beneficial for quality training in customer service.
Server / Bartender (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 November 2018
Great place to learn skills and gain experience within the restaurant culture. Imbalances around gender equality. Difficult place for young woman to grow and nurture their self respect in a healthy way.
Pros
high volume
Cons
egotistical environment
fun work enviorment
Hostess/Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC19 November 2018
overall fun place to work but with having a child its almost impossible to have a job like this unless you have someone to watch your child whenever asap anytime.
Made great friends but not good managers
Expediter/ Porter (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC15 November 2018
Loved the people I worked with. Usually had a good time working, and the location was beautiful. But, the management gave off the sense that they really didn't care about you.
Good potential with improvement in some areas
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 November 2018
Typical day at work can be either easygoing or stressful depending on how the restaurant is flowing and how well you maintain communication with coworkers. I have learned that working as a vocal team can be a key factor in trying to control the morale and pace in this type of work.
It is important you get proper training from the start because you will quickly learn that an “easygoing” day in this industry can still have lots of stressful moments if you are not properly trained on how to manage or prevent them without help.
Management has the potential to make an excellent environment but needs improvement with lack of communication between staff and schedule timing. (Possibly due to shortage of staff.) Workplace culture seems great but would be more ideal if more staff or management followed the company guidelines the way they were explained in orientations.
The hardest part about this job is having to work alone at what sometimes feels a lot like a 2 person job if you do not have proper training so trying to stay ahead and keeping every one of your coworkers happy can be difficult if you do not communicate which is not always easy to do in this busy business because everyone is in a rush which makes it hard to take breaks because you are worried about letting people down or falling too far behind.
The most enjoyable part of the job is joking around with people the moments you can because you are all constantly busy.
Pros
50% off & free soft drinks during shift
Cons
Stressful and hard on body long term
Wonderful Employees, Good managers, tough hours.
Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 October 2018
Absolutely love working with the people in the company and the managers are generally very supportive within the workplace. However I have seen many managers become over worked, and over hiring has lead to a long standing problem of minimal shifts as a server.
not bad
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 October 2018
great place to work really enjoyed it but got fired for no aparent reason. other than that it as really fun working there and a great place to start if looking for a job in the culinary industry
Pros
50% off & free Pop
great workplace
Server/Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 October 2018
the hardest part of job are the picky customers, however they have
amazing staff as well as great benefits, over all it is a great place to work while in school
Pros
Cons
don't know when you're off
Productive workplace and flexible hours
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 October 2018
It's a good place to start in the restaurant industry. Work environment is very friendly and makes the whole experience there that much better. The same effort you put in, you will receive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cactus Club Cafe. Our community is ready to answer.