Cactus Club Cafe Employee Reviews

A Shot In The Dark
Expo / Busboy / Bar Back / Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 September 2018
A not so easy to join and even harder to integrate system is in place that allows higher ups to simply pick their favorite employees and do what they wish with them. Positions of power are held by egotistical yet lazy individuals and the majority of the work is done by the worker ants. It's not easy to move up unless you are one of two things, A beautiful young woman or are compatible with the guys running the show and if you are eager to try and move up then one of those two will show up and change that. They will put you down until you can't get back up and still smile in your face.
Cons
Long Hours, No Benefits
Good job to start the work life but not for stay too long. Productive but hard job for low wage.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 October 2018
A typical day at work is basically clearing and setting tables, checking washrooms, welcoming customers, assign them a table and sitting them, turn on the patio candles and light the candles in dinning. Also if you got night shifts you have to close and that means that you have to clean all the glass doors, blow out candles, fill the candles, clear the hostess table and put the iPads away.
I learned how to set the tables properly.
The management is at least 2 girls per shift and maximum of 5-6.
The hardest part of the job is wearing heels and tight dress during 8 hours and getting dirty sometimes when you bring the dishes to the kitchen because is really dirty in there.
The most enjoyable part was helping and meeting new people everyday.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No tips for some hostess, 8 hours shift wearing heels, no free meals at all, few lockers for so many employees and low security.
great workplace
Server/Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 October 2018
the hardest part of job are the picky customers, however they have
amazing staff as well as great benefits, over all it is a great place to work while in school
Pros
Cons
don't know when you're off
not bad
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 October 2018
great place to work really enjoyed it but got fired for no aparent reason. other than that it as really fun working there and a great place to start if looking for a job in the culinary industry
Pros
50% off & free Pop
Fun place to work
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 September 2018
Really enjoyed the vibes and atmosphere at Cactus. The social aspect was also pretty great. Getting to work with young professionals opened up a world of opportunity for fun outside of work.

At Cactus they were all about making people feel at home, and making it your own business. This helped things to run very smoothly during dinner and lunch rushes....or even morning rushes. Its honestly always super busy there, and its no secret why. Management definitely knows what they're doing. Intense training pays off!
Pros
Great Staff, Great management
Cons
No free food for staff. Food discounts only apply if you are working that day.
Friendly staff and management although sometimes high strung
Dishwasher/Food Prep (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC29 June 2018
I was promised when i applied that i would be able to move up to a line cook within a month or two but after two months of doing as they asked and pestering them about moving up i was informed that i would have to wait a further 2-3 months before i would even get to be trained to move up which was quite disheartening to hear. As well i feel like the isolation of my job left the management in the dark about the full extents of my abilities and they ended up moving up other employees who when i worked with had slightly unsatisfactory work in my eyes since many of the dishes that they would wash would not even be fully clean, yet they are allowed to begin to move up without even having a firm background in dishwashing.
Pros
Free food when chefs mess up
Cons
late hours (3am)
Good potential with improvement in some areas
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 November 2018
Typical day at work can be either easygoing or stressful depending on how the restaurant is flowing and how well you maintain communication with coworkers. I have learned that working as a vocal team can be a key factor in trying to control the morale and pace in this type of work.
It is important you get proper training from the start because you will quickly learn that an “easygoing” day in this industry can still have lots of stressful moments if you are not properly trained on how to manage or prevent them without help.
Management has the potential to make an excellent environment but needs improvement with lack of communication between staff and schedule timing. (Possibly due to shortage of staff.) Workplace culture seems great but would be more ideal if more staff or management followed the company guidelines the way they were explained in orientations.
The hardest part about this job is having to work alone at what sometimes feels a lot like a 2 person job if you do not have proper training so trying to stay ahead and keeping every one of your coworkers happy can be difficult if you do not communicate which is not always easy to do in this busy business because everyone is in a rush which makes it hard to take breaks because you are worried about letting people down or falling too far behind.
The most enjoyable part of the job is joking around with people the moments you can because you are all constantly busy.
Pros
50% off & free soft drinks during shift
Cons
Stressful and hard on body long term
Great Overall but lacks benifits
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 April 2018
A typical day is very fast paced. If you're leaning you probably shouldn't be there. Management is almost always the best and the culture they created is very welcoming to all types and they expect the same from you. The hardest part of working here is... well I'm not sure I found a groove and never found I had many in problems. Can't say the same for other kitchens. Cactus Club is very unique for that.
Pros
Cons
I left.
beneficial for quality training in customer service.
Server / Bartender (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 November 2018
Great place to learn skills and gain experience within the restaurant culture. Imbalances around gender equality. Difficult place for young woman to grow and nurture their self respect in a healthy way.
Pros
high volume
Cons
egotistical environment
high standards for safety and cleanliness, as well as food quality
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 May 2018
I worked at cactus club before working elsewhere in the industry, and I didn't fully appreciate the degree to which they look after the important details of running a restaurant. They keep their kitchens clean and observe safe food handling procedures to the letter.

The food quality is also a cut above, and the kitchen management was very knowledgeable. I recall the sous chef at Cactus Club freaking out at me only once, when I allowed a pan to heat to the point where they oil was smoking. Working there made me a better cook, and although the cleaning was difficult, the shift always went by quickly at the end, because everyone knew what to do, and they inspected everything closely, so you knew you weren't putting in effort for nothing (they maintained a high standard).
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
no free lunches
Fast paced and awful scheduling
Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC10 June 2018
Expeditors and hostesses don't get included in the tip pool. Expos are treated awfully. Managers were always micromanaging everything. If you apply to be a server, they will try to start you off as an expo or host to "prepare" you for the serving role and they tell you that you will be a server in a few months, when really they will keep you in that job for as long as you can. The scheduling is awful. They tell you there's so many employees that it's super easy to switch shifts when really it's super difficult to get anyone to take your shift. Asked for 2 shifts a week MAX as I am in school, and they scheduled me 4 shifts every week. There are no benefits and everyone is extremely petty. I called in sick ONE time and I was questioned if I was really even sick, and then told I need to come in for 3 hours. Didn't care about my well-being at all. Big corporation that only cares about themselves. You are also told you need to arrive and be ON THE FLOOR WORKING 15 minutes before your shift begins, but you do not get paid for it.

DO NOT WORK FOR CACTUS, you're better off getting a job at Walmart or Earl's, they treat their employees better there.
Pros
Nice employees
Cons
rude managers, low wage, busy workplace
Fun Place to Work
Front Desk Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 September 2018
Cactus Club is a fun atmosphere to work in and i really would,ve stayed, though my management is not the greatest. We normally get our schedules at 11pm on sunday nights for the following week.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Scheduling, not enough employees
fun workplace
Shift leader (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC30 September 2018
I have made many new friends working here as well as have developed an entire new set of business skills and management qualities. Manage meant is always willing to talk about moving you up and getting you to where you want to be.
Made great friends but not good managers
Expediter/ Porter (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC15 November 2018
Loved the people I worked with. Usually had a good time working, and the location was beautiful. But, the management gave off the sense that they really didn't care about you.
Great place to work for
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC9 April 2018
Cactus Club is a great company to work for for young individuals while in school or the developing life stages... hard to leave because of the tips and fun atmosphere.
Pros
Networking, tips, company culture
Cons
Unpaid breaks, low pay for shift leaders and long hours
Solid place to work as a line cook!
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC13 January 2018
It's a fairly mandated job with structured advancement, but it has heart to it at its core. I worked here for 5 or 6 months, and only left because the management wouldn't allow transfers from BoH to FoH without leaving for 3 months
Pros
Discounted food, good team atmosphere, structured yet fun
Cons
Long hours, busy work, physically exerting
Fun place to work if you need experience
Line Cook / Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 July 2018
Great enviroment and place to work for students and young adults

build your kitchen skills under the supervision of trained chefs

build your personal and work life in a positive manner
Proud to have worked for this company
Senior Lounge Server (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC14 April 2018
Something I learned while working in the restaurant industry was that the more you gave the more you received. The harder you worked during each of your shifts, the better you felt by the end of them. I hope to find that to be applicable to future careers and to life in general. Cactus is a exceptional company who treat their employees with upmost respect and I will always think highly of the workplace they offer.
Great overal moral with the company
Server/ Server Trainer/ Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK5 March 2018
Was a great environment to learn customer service and interpersonal skill development. Management is always trying to help you improve everyone is friends and gets along great
Pros
50% off cactus food
Cons
Fun work environment with like minded people
Server, Bartender, Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC27 August 2017
I started as a server. Soon, I progressed into bartending and being part of the management team as a shift leader. Cactus Club provides you with advancement opportunities within the company. The culture at Cactus Club is very important as they try to hire like-minded people with winning attitudes and positive outlooks on life. It makes your coworkers more like friends which makes going to work a blast. The hardest part for me was saying goodbye to my coworkers as I had to relocate for school. The most enjoyable part was being able to be myself in a mutually benefiting environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cactus Club Cafe. Our community is ready to answer.