Cactus Club Cafe Employee Reviews

Productive workplace and flexible hours
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 October 2018
It's a good place to start in the restaurant industry. Work environment is very friendly and makes the whole experience there that much better. The same effort you put in, you will receive.
Good job to start the work life but not for stay too long. Productive but hard job for low wage.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 October 2018
A typical day at work is basically clearing and setting tables, checking washrooms, welcoming customers, assign them a table and sitting them, turn on the patio candles and light the candles in dinning. Also if you got night shifts you have to close and that means that you have to clean all the glass doors, blow out candles, fill the candles, clear the hostess table and put the iPads away.
I learned how to set the tables properly.
The management is at least 2 girls per shift and maximum of 5-6.
The hardest part of the job is wearing heels and tight dress during 8 hours and getting dirty sometimes when you bring the dishes to the kitchen because is really dirty in there.
The most enjoyable part was helping and meeting new people everyday.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No tips for some hostess, 8 hours shift wearing heels, no free meals at all, few lockers for so many employees and low security.
fun workplace
Shift leader (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC30 September 2018
I have made many new friends working here as well as have developed an entire new set of business skills and management qualities. Manage meant is always willing to talk about moving you up and getting you to where you want to be.
Very fun work place
Busser/Food Runner (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 September 2018
I loved every minute. it was amazing and one of my favorite places i have ever worked at the enviorment i was set in with the people there too. all i can say it was a membrable journey.
Agréable
Boss girl (Current Employee) –  Sorel-Tracy, QC12 September 2018
Cela est un travail demandant mais de temps en temps malheureusement!
Pros
Tip
Cons
Manque d’heure
Fun Place to Work
Front Desk Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 September 2018
Cactus Club is a fun atmosphere to work in and i really would,ve stayed, though my management is not the greatest. We normally get our schedules at 11pm on sunday nights for the following week.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Scheduling, not enough employees
A Shot In The Dark
Expo / Busboy / Bar Back / Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 September 2018
A not so easy to join and even harder to integrate system is in place that allows higher ups to simply pick their favorite employees and do what they wish with them. Positions of power are held by egotistical yet lazy individuals and the majority of the work is done by the worker ants. It's not easy to move up unless you are one of two things, A beautiful young woman or are compatible with the guys running the show and if you are eager to try and move up then one of those two will show up and change that. They will put you down until you can't get back up and still smile in your face.
Cons
Long Hours, No Benefits
Expo at Cactus
Food Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 September 2018
You are always working in this job. Managing the pass through and distributing food through the restaurant is a main focus as well as collecting dishes, folding towels, mopping and organization.
Pros
Lots of food coming your way
Cons
Busy nights
Fun place to work
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 September 2018
Really enjoyed the vibes and atmosphere at Cactus. The social aspect was also pretty great. Getting to work with young professionals opened up a world of opportunity for fun outside of work.

At Cactus they were all about making people feel at home, and making it your own business. This helped things to run very smoothly during dinner and lunch rushes....or even morning rushes. Its honestly always super busy there, and its no secret why. Management definitely knows what they're doing. Intense training pays off!
Pros
Great Staff, Great management
Cons
No free food for staff. Food discounts only apply if you are working that day.
Fun but high stress enviroment
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 August 2018
Lots to be learned at Cactus Club Cafe that would never learn at just a regular kitchen job, only problem is the environment is high stress and the hours typical are long. Even with said employees and treated with respect when respect is given and they are taken care of.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
High Stress environment
unorganized and unprofessional
Dishwasher/Prep/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 August 2018
does not comply with labor or health standards, schedules do not come out in a timely manner, communication is lacking between all staff members and a general lack of disrespect fills the air
Fun place to work if you need experience
Line Cook / Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 July 2018
Great enviroment and place to work for students and young adults

build your kitchen skills under the supervision of trained chefs

build your personal and work life in a positive manner
Fun place to work
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 July 2018
Always busy at work. Every day was different and that was nice but sometimes hard to connect with managers as they are very selective. Great staff regardless. Like a family
Friendly staff and management although sometimes high strung
Dishwasher/Food Prep (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC29 June 2018
I was promised when i applied that i would be able to move up to a line cook within a month or two but after two months of doing as they asked and pestering them about moving up i was informed that i would have to wait a further 2-3 months before i would even get to be trained to move up which was quite disheartening to hear. As well i feel like the isolation of my job left the management in the dark about the full extents of my abilities and they ended up moving up other employees who when i worked with had slightly unsatisfactory work in my eyes since many of the dishes that they would wash would not even be fully clean, yet they are allowed to begin to move up without even having a firm background in dishwashing.
Pros
Free food when chefs mess up
Cons
late hours (3am)
Fast paced and awful scheduling
Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC10 June 2018
Expeditors and hostesses don't get included in the tip pool. Expos are treated awfully. Managers were always micromanaging everything. If you apply to be a server, they will try to start you off as an expo or host to "prepare" you for the serving role and they tell you that you will be a server in a few months, when really they will keep you in that job for as long as you can. The scheduling is awful. They tell you there's so many employees that it's super easy to switch shifts when really it's super difficult to get anyone to take your shift. Asked for 2 shifts a week MAX as I am in school, and they scheduled me 4 shifts every week. There are no benefits and everyone is extremely petty. I called in sick ONE time and I was questioned if I was really even sick, and then told I need to come in for 3 hours. Didn't care about my well-being at all. Big corporation that only cares about themselves. You are also told you need to arrive and be ON THE FLOOR WORKING 15 minutes before your shift begins, but you do not get paid for it.

DO NOT WORK FOR CACTUS, you're better off getting a job at Walmart or Earl's, they treat their employees better there.
Pros
Nice employees
Cons
rude managers, low wage, busy workplace
high standards for safety and cleanliness, as well as food quality
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 May 2018
I worked at cactus club before working elsewhere in the industry, and I didn't fully appreciate the degree to which they look after the important details of running a restaurant. They keep their kitchens clean and observe safe food handling procedures to the letter.

The food quality is also a cut above, and the kitchen management was very knowledgeable. I recall the sous chef at Cactus Club freaking out at me only once, when I allowed a pan to heat to the point where they oil was smoking. Working there made me a better cook, and although the cleaning was difficult, the shift always went by quickly at the end, because everyone knew what to do, and they inspected everything closely, so you knew you weren't putting in effort for nothing (they maintained a high standard).
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
no free lunches
Fun Work Environment
SERVER/BARTENDER (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 May 2018
I loved working at Cactus Club in both Edmonton and Vancouver. The energy is always fun and the food was amazing and easy to sell. Management was always there to lend a helping hand. The hardest part of the job was getting the best hours. You really have to work your way up...
Great Overall but lacks benifits
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 April 2018
A typical day is very fast paced. If you're leaning you probably shouldn't be there. Management is almost always the best and the culture they created is very welcoming to all types and they expect the same from you. The hardest part of working here is... well I'm not sure I found a groove and never found I had many in problems. Can't say the same for other kitchens. Cactus Club is very unique for that.
Pros
Cons
I left.
very well trained positions.
Hostess, Server, Office manager, Floor manager (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC25 April 2018
Very Good for learning communications skills. hard work ethic. I learned so much about engaging people. Work culture was good for staff who wanted to immerse themselves into wok. the most enjoyable part of the job was atmosphere was usually positive,
Fun and good experience
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 April 2018
Always have the chance to learn something new each day. Also enhanced my skills in communicating, and taking orders quickly. Another thing i learned was to be reliable or known as to be on time for work.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Overtime hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cactus Club Cafe. Our community is ready to answer.