Cabela's Inc.

Clear
3.0Pay & benefits

Found 58 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,779 reviews

It was alright

Management was a bit miserable at times, but the work was never hard, and most of the coworkers weren't terrible to be around. Its a decent job, youll get good hours.

Coworkers are great, pay is awful,extremely boring and slow.

It's hard to give a high rating when a job doesnt pay a living wage in this day and age.The people here are fantastic. A great bunch to be around. And you'll get a decent discount on house brands, and vendor deals online. The job itself is painfully slow. All retail has downtime, but not like working here. You will be bored out of your mind. You have to wear a uniform which consists of jeans and a button-up shirt that isn't breathable even in the slightest. You can't have colored hair, and they only became more relaxed about piercings and tattoos within the last couple years. High turnover at this place, because people leave to find better paid work. This isn't a place you can advance, and don't expect to make a decent amount after spending many years here. No health insurance given here. A positive is they are really good at making your schedule work if you're a student,or have another job. And they're good at approving days requested off.

Pros

Great coworkers

Cons

Terrible pay, no benefits, extremely boring.

Insights into Cabela's Inc.

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Energizing work tasks

Nice management and staff, not bad for part time work

Busy at christmas, slow a lot of other times. Company takes pretty good care of you for retail, and there’s a good staff discount. Not much opportunity for upward mobility, but you get a raise yearly, unlike some places.

Just okay, nothing spectacular.

Not the worst and not the best by far. Horrible pay, they only give raises in $0.33 increments so don't expect to be able to save or live off this wage unless you have another income. That being said they do try to hire more outdoorsy people so the employees there generally really know what they're talking about. The training is good and managers will let you expand into other departments. It's not generally a very diverse group of people they hire, however.

fun environment

good job for someone who loves the outdoors. Good discount and staff are friendly. they offer seasonal work which is good if you are trying to get a bit of experience

A good place to work a few hours a week if you are into the outdoors.

If you are into the outdoors cabelas is a decent place to work a few hours a week. There are a lot of good people working here and management is good as well.

Can be a fun place to work

I work in Customer Service and I enjoy the customers and the Outfitters that I work with. Very busy during holidays and hunting season but very slow in January and February.

Pros

Flexible scheduling

Cons

Not always enough hours to allocate for proper coverage in departments

Fun place to work, with opportunity to learn and grow.

Great place to work and very flexible, the management team is responsive and effective. Come and do your job and you'll find you will have a great experience.

Pros

Great staff, free lunch, good discounts, good management

Cons

N/a

Great part time job

As far as retail work goes I don’t think you can get anywhere better. The managers are supportive of all of their staff. Your coworkers are awesome people with great enthusiasm. Even the customers for the most part are enthusiastic to be there. It’s a great spot to work.

Pros

Flexible hours. Good benefits.

Depends where you work

Some stores are fantastic, they embody the Cabela's/ Basspro motto. Other's not so much. I've worked in both kinds and if your lucky enough to work in one of the stores that actually has the good stuff, you're in for a good time and great people.

Pros

Discount, medical coverage

Cons

Poor life/work balance, management usually

Fun conworkers

I worked here for 4 years, the raises are absolute trash no matter how hard of a worker you are. They change schedules on you last minute and expect you to work around their mix ups. And if you are a student good luck!! The general manager has told many students that “ Cabela’s is more important than school” which is absolutely ridiculous, I’ve seen students struggle to study because this place schedules them when they have requested days to have off for school. The assistant general manager is the main reason why everyone leaves.. this person doesn’t care about the employees they just want to make corporate happy In hopes they become the general manager one day. Cabela’s Canada I really hope you bring someone in from head office to look into this issue. You can literally call any former employee and I guarantee they will say the same thing as me.. if you want to work here I really don’t recommend it, yes I understand it’s retail and that’s how it usually is but I’ve worked at other retail locations before this place and it’s not worth it trust me.

Pros

Pro deals/ get stuff super cheap

Cons

Ridiculous management

Great environment

The great thing about Cabelas is a great and positive loyal clientele. Rarely ever do you get a grumpy customer. People want to shop there this they are always great. Staff is vibrant and managers are positive and supportive. It is a 100 MPH but you just have to get in the lane and flow.

Pros

Supportive Management and fun environment

Cons

Not a job if you need a major salary. Pay for the work you do.

Low pay high stress

Always under staffed, pay is low for what they expect.Certain employees get preferential treatment, if you aren't part of the "special team" you will never move up.All management cares about is sales, your personal life doesn't matter.They would rather hire 3 people who do nothing and make constant mistakes and pay them nothing rather then hire one good/professional employee and pay that person properly.They will do anything to keep you from getting full time hours so they can avoid paying for any kind of benefits.Unless you want to be overworked, underpaid and miserable work somewhere else.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Low pay, ignorant management

Biased Workplace and Poor Management

Biased management who will only have their favourites at Customer Service and will have the rest work at cash and do other tasks. Unfair job workload, always have to stay 15 min later than your actual shift, breaks are always late, and a very toxic environment to be in. I learned that there are certain workers that is very much favoured in this workplace who will get rewarded for absolutely not doing anything.

Pros

Employee discounts, free meals, hours, salary

Cons

poor management, unorganized

A good job to start at but dont expect to be there long term

Cabelas was a really great place to work, I really really enjoyed it the coworkers really made it all worth while. at first the management was very responsive and helpful but after awhile I noticed they were very flawed. no one ever really communicates with eachother and you are unlikely to ever move up in the company unless you work the same job there for like 5 years. The atmosphere was lovely but after about 2 years there I couldnt go anymore, management would make me spend my lunch breaks crying in the bathroom because of how i was treated and their benefits are only half worth it. alot of the managers have an awful attitude especially those working HR. the morning rallies were always exciting. I could say so much more but this is already getting long.if you want a temporary job then i would say work here.if you are a student I wouldnt recommend unless you are okay with working 2 shifts a week.i was over worked and undercompensated and felt extremely invisible and unwanted within the company. I was hired for seasonal temp and was kept on and once christmas was over they didnt care about me anymore. I worked 40 hour weeks sometimes even 48-50 hour weeks for almost 8 months straight and didnt once get recognition for anything I did. I was the most reliable and was called in frequently and not even a thank you was given. I did get a raise after each year there which was a handful of cents.

Pros

Free Lunches when working holidays

Cons

Long hours and hardly any recognition

Fun place to work!

I worked there before they moved locations. It was a great atmosphere, fun place to work, easy going job. HR qas excellent, great work culture. However, Hours varied as retail goes but Iiked working there and most people enjoyed their jobs. Pay is a little higher than average retail. They treat you pretty well ! I was part time, so no benefits.

Pros

good work culture, great people

Cons

unstable scheduling

Use to be great to work for

New management has made this job not as fun anymore. You are required to do many jobs and no appreciation from management. Always seem to be understaffed.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Overworked and under paid

Great place to work with great people!

Cabelas has been great to me. They have recognition programs for staff, provide lunches, snacks, and have an awesome discount. This was my first retail job and it was an awesome experience. With retail, expect varied hours and the availability of hours to go up and down depending on the season.

Pros

Management, fun, food

Cons

Pay

Fun place, but hard to get time off

Every single person I worked with in warehouse was always super friendly to me. They were also very competent and now how to get the job done on time, while also making it enjoyable. The only downsides were that it was almost impossible to book time off, and my account was also randomly registered under the Saskatoon store for a majority of the time that I was working there, which made it hard to do a lot of my job. All in all though, it’s a really fun job and the benefits you get are great

Pros

Benefits and discounts

Cons

Booking time off is impossible

Bad Management, but sometimes cool co-workers.

Management has no clue. There is a strong culture of indifference with them. They don't communicate with you or train you appropriately. You literally just have to figure out stuff on your own, as you go, because nobody is really there to assist you. "Cash pickups" (where excess cash is removed from registers for security purposes) are NOT done with any haste or regularity. Management always just excuses their behavior, stating they're busy. But they'll always demand you drop whatever you're doing to do whatever they ask of you. Typical double-standards.Some of your co-workers are pretty cool, but many others (on cash at least) can get super lazy because management never pays attention (E.g., younger cashiers chatting with one another rather than assisting customers. Very frustrating.)Unfortunately, you do not receive positive feedback. You will generally only hear from someone if you're doing something negative, or not good enough. If you've ever seen Office Space (the movie), specifically the scene with Jennifer Aniston involving her amount of "flair," you understand the culture of Cabelas. (E.g., you are required to ask each customer for their postal code. I was told not to say 'Can I grab your postal code?' on account of 'grab' was considered too aggressive.)The company also intentionally only hires part-time to avoid paying benefits, which should be an indication as to how much they value you as a person. If you're a retiree, semi-retired, or high-school student, this job is ideal to keep away the boredom / earn some minimum wage. But trying to live -

Pros

Employee Discount, Cool Physical Setup of Store

Cons

Bad Management, Part-Time Hours Only, Minimum Wage, No Benefits

Extremely Corporate Arrogant Disgrace

I believe at the corporate level, Cabelas has the right idea, however the bureaucracy of the leadership structure leaves a discombobulated mess of incompetence, ineptitude and indifference to the employees. They were dishonest in the hiring process about the type of employment offered, saying in the phone interview process they were seeking full time workers in order to lure people into their hiring event where then and only then they disclosed the part time nature of the positions available. They’re hiring a ton of workers expendably—essentially cannon-fodder to the pandemic in case people have to miss work for illnesses. Training is a debacle, not one of the managers knew how any of the processes were supposed to work. They waste an entire day of orientation flaunting their vacant corporate propaganda, and take FOREVER to get back to you with scheduling information, etc. If given the choice between employment at Cabelas and homelessness, I would strongly encourage you to start looking for a cozy underpass to sleep under because this place is an arrogant, disorganized, mess of power-tripping bureaucrats, determined to squeeze the most out of their employees for the lowest possible salary.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Literally everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cabela's Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement