Cabela's Inc.

Cabela's Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 213 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,660 reviews

Depends where you work

Some stores are fantastic, they embody the Cabela's/ Basspro motto. Other's not so much. I've worked in both kinds and if your lucky enough to work in one of the stores that actually has the good stuff, you're in for a good time and great people.

Pros

Discount, medical coverage

Cons

Poor life/work balance, management usually

Fun conworkers

I worked here for 4 years, the raises are absolute trash no matter how hard of a worker you are. They change schedules on you last minute and expect you to work around their mix ups. And if you are a student good luck!! The general manager has told many students that “ Cabela’s is more important than school” which is absolutely ridiculous, I’ve seen students struggle to study because this place schedules them when they have requested days to have off for school. The assistant general manager is the main reason why everyone leaves.. this person doesn’t care about the employees they just want to make corporate happy In hopes they become the general manager one day. Cabela’s Canada I really hope you bring someone in from head office to look into this issue. You can literally call any former employee and I guarantee they will say the same thing as me.. if you want to work here I really don’t recommend it, yes I understand it’s retail and that’s how it usually is but I’ve worked at other retail locations before this place and it’s not worth it trust me.

Pros

Pro deals/ get stuff super cheap

Cons

Ridiculous management

Fun but nit enough hours

Bought over by bass pro. It shows with the managers. But good for a part time job. Clean and good people ti work with had fun overall lack of hours. 1 shift every 3 weeks.

Pros

Work

Cons

No shifts

One of the worst jobs I’ve ever had

not just some bitter employee. This job is one of the most unprofessional experiences i’ve ever had. They use their leads up doing the managers jobs until they are completely dried up and quit. Might I say underpaid. Management was disgusting and unprofessional. and completely horrible at their jobs. Poorly run, and would fall apart if the leads weren’t there. Leads were amazing and did almost everything day to day but they are all quitting. Management would keep all weekends completely understaffed with only one to two cashiers on tills on a friday or saturday night. Multiple complaints and yet nothing has changed. They pay decent but it’s not worth the mental stress. Don’t put yourself through this.

Pros

pay, other staff

Cons

management, poor staffing, scheduling, work load

This job is very dramatic for the minimum wage.

Unless you know the top management your just a puppet, can't go to HR about a supervisor because the GM dismisses it as a hear say. Was very difficult to work here, the only plus side was the close friends you make, but if it has a person a store manager doesn't like, consider your self a target.

Cons

Management.

Great place with great people

The staff here is amazing here. They are so inclusive. The management is good and dry accommodating when I was injured at work. The managers are fun and friendly.

Good co-workers, Toxic management

Managers for the most part are rude and have no idea what's going on on the floor. No down time for chatting is allowed despite managers talking to their friends for and hour or so. Hard to move up unless your buddy buddy with the store manager. Co-workers are some of the best people I've ever known for the most part. Friendly, helpful individuals who care about helping customers. Where as management only cares about money now.

Pros

Amazing co-workers

Cons

Bad management

Great environment

The great thing about Cabelas is a great and positive loyal clientele. Rarely ever do you get a grumpy customer. People want to shop there this they are always great. Staff is vibrant and managers are positive and supportive. It is a 100 MPH but you just have to get in the lane and flow.

Pros

Supportive Management and fun environment

Cons

Not a job if you need a major salary. Pay for the work you do.

Low pay high stress

Always under staffed, pay is low for what they expect.Certain employees get preferential treatment, if you aren't part of the "special team" you will never move up.All management cares about is sales, your personal life doesn't matter.They would rather hire 3 people who do nothing and make constant mistakes and pay them nothing rather then hire one good/professional employee and pay that person properly.They will do anything to keep you from getting full time hours so they can avoid paying for any kind of benefits.Unless you want to be overworked, underpaid and miserable work somewhere else.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Low pay, ignorant management

Lunch room was spacious and functional

Worked here for 3 years and left after having enough of the Toxic and Disfunctional Managment. Senior Manager gossips about certain employees, lies and has no skill set whatsoever to "Lead by Example" Mgmt only focus is profit even though they believe its Customer Service how do you provide Customer Service when they under staff departments leaving no employee scheduled for an entire day in specialty departments like Archery, Fishing and Hunting etc. This store has the highest turnover of staff I have every seen in a Retail setting. I had some exceptional Co-workers who made the days easier but most of them have moved on now too. I took many complaints all the time from Customers regarding their experience in this store.

Pros

Co-workers

Jobs at Cabela's Inc.

See more jobs

Very busy and stressful

Not much for integrity as of late, things changed once the company changed hands, over all attitudes changed, majority of staff are very young with over all bad attitudes

Cons

Not really supportive in higher management

Biased Workplace and Poor Management

Biased management who will only have their favourites at Customer Service and will have the rest work at cash and do other tasks. Unfair job workload, always have to stay 15 min later than your actual shift, breaks are always late, and a very toxic environment to be in. I learned that there are certain workers that is very much favoured in this workplace who will get rewarded for absolutely not doing anything.

Pros

Employee discounts, free meals, hours, salary

Cons

poor management, unorganized

Great people, poor management at the highest level

Working at Cabelas was a great experience, as the place is filled with great people who become good friends in a short amount of time. The management around the store covering departments is also fairly decent as a lot of them are willing to go the extra mile for the employees. Unfortunately, the general manager shows continuous disrespect to his employees and completely disregards them. During my time here, I noticed the GM would go to certain departments and demand something be done without acknowledging the employee. I noticed he would also show a lack of understanding and due care to the safety of his employees in the workplace. Everyone else was great and it is a great job to work around school with, however, it is concerning the general manager shows a constant disrespect and little care to his employees.

Pros

Free lunches on holidays, great people to work with

Cons

Management at the highest level does not respect or care for employees

A good job to start at but dont expect to be there long term

Cabelas was a really great place to work, I really really enjoyed it the coworkers really made it all worth while. at first the management was very responsive and helpful but after awhile I noticed they were very flawed. no one ever really communicates with eachother and you are unlikely to ever move up in the company unless you work the same job there for like 5 years. The atmosphere was lovely but after about 2 years there I couldnt go anymore, management would make me spend my lunch breaks crying in the bathroom because of how i was treated and their benefits are only half worth it. alot of the managers have an awful attitude especially those working HR. the morning rallies were always exciting. I could say so much more but this is already getting long.if you want a temporary job then i would say work here.if you are a student I wouldnt recommend unless you are okay with working 2 shifts a week.i was over worked and undercompensated and felt extremely invisible and unwanted within the company. I was hired for seasonal temp and was kept on and once christmas was over they didnt care about me anymore. I worked 40 hour weeks sometimes even 48-50 hour weeks for almost 8 months straight and didnt once get recognition for anything I did. I was the most reliable and was called in frequently and not even a thank you was given. I did get a raise after each year there which was a handful of cents.

Pros

Free Lunches when working holidays

Cons

Long hours and hardly any recognition

Fun place to work!

I worked there before they moved locations. It was a great atmosphere, fun place to work, easy going job. HR qas excellent, great work culture. However, Hours varied as retail goes but Iiked working there and most people enjoyed their jobs. Pay is a little higher than average retail. They treat you pretty well ! I was part time, so no benefits.

Pros

good work culture, great people

Cons

unstable scheduling

Use to be great to work for

New management has made this job not as fun anymore. You are required to do many jobs and no appreciation from management. Always seem to be understaffed.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Overworked and under paid

Decent Place to Work

Picked up this job as part-time while I went to school. I was hired on as a seasonal worker for a few months, which I wasn't aware of til after being hired (wasn't clear in the job posting or interview), then I was laid off after Christmas. Overall a decent workplace. The work is really simple and easy, mainly organizing shelves, making tags, and helping customers (can be very mundane and repetitive though). Discounts are nice, food is brought into the staff room occasionally, and co-workers are nice. My availability was 15-20 hrs per week, although I only received about 10 hours per week. During my interview, I was also led to believe I would be able to pick up more shifts over Christmas, which was not true. Was still only given about 10 hrs per week. I was told a few times I was doing a great job but I wasn't given any feedback when I was let go as to how I could do better, and why I was let go while others were kept, even though I always tried to go above and beyond. Managers are hit and miss. Some are very nice and approachable, others you feel like a burden when you need to ask a question, or are unclear about what they want done.

Pros

Discounts, Co-Workers, Occasional food and snacks brought by HR

Cons

lack of hours, lack of feedback, you are not kept in the loop

I really enjoyed my time working at Cabela's, made a lot of friends with similar interests. If you're an outdoor enthusiast, I believe you would fit right in.

Pros

Usually get the amount of hours you ask for.

Cons

No cons I could think of.

Great place to work with great people!

Cabelas has been great to me. They have recognition programs for staff, provide lunches, snacks, and have an awesome discount. This was my first retail job and it was an awesome experience. With retail, expect varied hours and the availability of hours to go up and down depending on the season.

Pros

Management, fun, food

Cons

Pay

Loved working here.

Absolutely loved working here, loved the environment and my coworkers. Definitely recommend this job too anyone, of course it can get stressful but I loved it nonetheless. I honestly got a rush when it got busy rather than stressing out and the managers and supervisors were very understanding when silly mistakes were made. This job really helped me feel comfortable as a cashier and working up at customer service, great start for anyone new to working.

Pros

Great coworkers, sense of belonging and teamwork, always had fun there

Cons

Long hours, scheduling can be a bit wonky

Poor management

Favorites, cliques, if you don't fit in you're out the door.Poor training and then your fault when things go wrong......would never work there again.

Pros

Nice outfitters

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cabela's Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8Job security/advancement