Cabela's Inc.
Happiness score is 54 out of 100

Cabela's Inc. Employee Reviews

Canada232 reviews

Found 232 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,761 reviews

Insights into Cabela's Inc.

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Inclusive work environment

Cashier Outfitter

Chill job and pretty easy...interview requires you to know some things about Cabela's and the product they sell, but as cashier you do not need much knowledge as long as you can show you can hold a job. Pretty boring but solid work and the people are friendly.

Good coworkers. Awful management

The awful management provided from Cabelas drove me and many others insane. Management seemed like the would do anything in their power to avoid doing their job. The only time you would see the mangers is when they would run from their offices to the break-room to go on one of their multiple smokebreaks. Mangers constantly played favourites and belittled and ignored those who didn’t play into their egos. Those who are well liked by the mangers can get away with almost anything including harassment. The store has a strict no phone policy for outfitters but you can catch both mangers and leads checking social media constantly such as Facebook and Snapchat with the false claim that they needed it for their job. Communication between managers and employees is definitely the worst I’ve ever experienced. Management is completely useless when it comes to knowing whats going on anywhere in the store. I’ve never seen a workplace that can destroy someone’s mental health as much as this place. At least the shared trauma provides a bonding experience between outfitters.

Backroom falling apart

I currently work in the Abbotsford bc location in the backroom and all i can say is that majority of us are planning on quitting. every other department seems to be doing well and is very fun. warehouse workers were beginning to only receive 4 hr shifts at a time compared to those on the floor receiving full 8 hrs where their only task is helping the occasional customer and walking in endless circles doing mostly nothing. i was a part-timer getting 48 hrs a week and now being dropped to barely 12. backroom has by far the heaviest work load as we unload and sort all product that comes off of trucks. one awesome take away is that my coworkers are the only reason i even show up. the backroom age group is between 17-30 which makes for a fun time for those who are in the younger side of the group. management is absolute trash - you will see our top managers outside vaping like a bunch of teenagers. overall if you want to work here i recommend every other department aside from backroom!

Pros

fun coworkers, occasional pizza days

Cons

management, hours CONSTANTLY being cut

Nice management and staff, not bad for part time work

Busy at christmas, slow a lot of other times. Company takes pretty good care of you for retail, and there’s a good staff discount. Not much opportunity for upward mobility, but you get a raise yearly, unlike some places.

Just okay, nothing spectacular.

Not the worst and not the best by far. Horrible pay, they only give raises in $0.33 increments so don't expect to be able to save or live off this wage unless you have another income. That being said they do try to hire more outdoorsy people so the employees there generally really know what they're talking about. The training is good and managers will let you expand into other departments. It's not generally a very diverse group of people they hire, however.

Alright place

It was a decent place to work. Was hired as a part time but received heavy hours and was loaded with 6am shifts. Management is very nice and easy going.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Early mornings

Overworked, Underpaid

Overworked for the amount of bs we had to deal with. Management doesn’t appreciate how much some people do and is rare to give promotions to those who deserve it most.

fun environment

good job for someone who loves the outdoors. Good discount and staff are friendly. they offer seasonal work which is good if you are trying to get a bit of experience

A good place to work a few hours a week if you are into the outdoors.

If you are into the outdoors cabelas is a decent place to work a few hours a week. There are a lot of good people working here and management is good as well.

Can be a fun place to work

I work in Customer Service and I enjoy the customers and the Outfitters that I work with. Very busy during holidays and hunting season but very slow in January and February.

Pros

Flexible scheduling

Cons

Not always enough hours to allocate for proper coverage in departments

An alright place to work

Coworkers are great people to work with. Not much help or support from management. Nobody seemed to notice or care if you show up for your shift or not.

Pros

Great discount

Cons

Poor management

Fun place to work, with opportunity to learn and grow.

Great place to work and very flexible, the management team is responsive and effective. Come and do your job and you'll find you will have a great experience.

Pros

Great staff, free lunch, good discounts, good management

Cons

N/a

Productive and a fulfilling place to work.

I had fun working here, the pace varies but the management is great and no one had a problem with anyone else at the job. I worked in the back, so there was a fair amount of lifting, and I got to work with the rest of the departments, working in the backroom. Everyone's accepting and welcoming, all around a great experience.

Constantly Demanding

Good listeners, but horrible follow through. Training process lacks commitment and consistency. Consistent only when it comes to miscommunication between departments (there is none), and they really need to rely on each other to complete jobs. They pay minimum wage to HIGHLY skilled employees. The one thing that keeps people there is the topic of suffering together; that's where the teamwork comes into play. Management also picks out weak links and slowly gangs up on them until they quit or in turn do something wrong and get fired.

Pros

Great at gift giving

Cons

No respect of work life balance

Great discounts but don’t work here long term

The discounts are great and depending on which department you work in some of the colleagues are cool too. I wouldn’t recommend doing any job that’s not seasonal. This store becomes too competitive during the holiday season and they make you do a bunch of work outside of your job description every single second that you are free from your current job duties. The management is really snarky and over the years there have been way too many younger people working here (mostly high school and fresh high school graduates) who like to boss us older staff around. Also, if they hire you for seasonal, they make you think that they want to hire you for permanent and “train” you to do everything in the store. They do this to take advantage of you and never end up hiring you anyways for permanent.

Pros

Free food during special events like thanksgiving and Christmas

Cons

No job stability

Great part time job

As far as retail work goes I don’t think you can get anywhere better. The managers are supportive of all of their staff. Your coworkers are awesome people with great enthusiasm. Even the customers for the most part are enthusiastic to be there. It’s a great spot to work.

Pros

Flexible hours. Good benefits.

Fun place to work

Cafeteria had a popcorn machine, free coffee. Great employees, I had made many friends there and would still be there if the company hadn’t moved their warehouse to Calgary

Pros

Employee potlucks, no weekends

Cons

Cold in warehouse

Great coworkers, poor everything else..

They do no properly address work-place harassment. There is too much micromanaging, they are always understaffed and have extremely high turnover. They like to slap a pizza party on poor employee moral. Their only saving grace is their employees actually care about each other. When they have good workers they run them dry... until they leave. Great for students, hours are flexible within reason.

Pros

Amazing Coworkers

Cons

Poor Management, Bad Pay & No Appreciation

toxic environment

I got in trouble for going on cash helping with the lineup before I was asked. I got in trouble for cleaning carts, not my department... I showed up too early, I showed up too late... I took 20 not 30 minute lunch breaks, I would finish a task and often be ten minutes late and got in trouble for that too. They dont train you then complain you are not doing things right. You are trained to say no to customers so that we call a manager and they say yes and look like heroes... No support but the staff is amazing and we all stuck together

Pros

good staff

Cons

bad managemetn

Mostly good coworkers, and discounts

For the most part the people you work with are good and help each other out. Some will stab you in the back at any chance they get in order to gain or maintain favoritism among managers.On that note there are certain people that have multiple complaints against them and nothing seems to happen, some cases even bypassing local and regional management to a head office with no changes... also management will not support employees with troublesome customers or if you are injured on the job. They will pressure you to come back before you should by any means they see fit (guilt tripping, fake sympathy, promises of change, ect)Very cult like mentality and your are almost expected to live and breath cabelas.Discount is good and as a casual place to work for said discount this would be an okay place to be, anything more

Pros

Discounts, most coworkers

Cons

Management, atmosphere

Was an overnight stocker.

Management for the most part are not good; and there are seemingly a million managers. Heavy heavy corporate vibe. No shortage of HR nonsense meetings. The job was what I needed at the time, but it wasn't for me. This is the type of place that pretends like it's a 'family', but really it's just a lot of team-building blather then everyone goes and covers their own butt. You can get some good deals working here, but be mindful of the bait-and-switch. This place will advertise and interview for a full-time permanent position, and then offer a 'temporary' position. It happened to at least 3 people during my time.

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Pretty much everything else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cabela's Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement