Cabela's Inc. Employee Reviews

management is no good, employees are amazing
In-Store Pick Up and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON25 April 2018
The management is very clicky and don't care for the employees at all, the atmosphere with the employees is amazing. They didn't train new employees very well, they were basically thrown to the wolves and learn as you go which then turned into them quitting and it was a lot of new people in and out. a lot a lot of the time we were very under staffed
Pros
the employees
Cons
management doesn't care
cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 April 2018
one can learn about different products that cabelas sells, weekends, summer and hunting seasons are busiest. for the most part every one gets treated fairly.
Pros
staff discounts, door prizes at meetings, and big discounts if store meets quota
Cons
non
Loved it.
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB10 April 2018
Amazing work environment with amazing people. I loved my job working customer service for our local Cabela's, and had they not closed their doors I surely would have continued working there.
Would not go back.
excellent customer service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 March 2018
I loved the store but did not so much enjoy my time there with the management and the really poor work atmosphere. management was never understanding and was not supportive of anyone.
Good work environment, Interesting field of business.
Lead Outfitter, Optics Section Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 March 2018
Good work environment, Interesting and rewarding field of retail business, Lots of technical stuff for someone who is interested in the outdoors activity. Lots of language practice for a new immigrant. But a very low pay that does not attract to make a carrier within this company.
Pros
interesting field of business
Cons
low pay
Management ruins it
Sales outfitter (Former Employee) –  Alberta7 March 2018
The employees you work with are great and you feel like family but the managers barely know anything and take out their frustrations on you and other employees. The discount is very limited and not even your parents or siblings are allowed to use it. Managers will ignore serious situations until 2 weeks later and bring it up at very random times. They think that employees don't talk to eachother and tell employees different things. Human Resources is rude and doesn't care about employees. Wage gap is basically non existent and they don't do regular reviews which means you hardly ever get a raise.
Pros
Great employees, environment. Free lunch sometimes. Occasional Product knowledge presentations
Cons
Poor Management, HR. Non livable Salary
This was a decent place to work
Archery Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 March 2018
This was a decent place to work, I never had any trouble with other workers or management. The work days were filed with fun, some days I was sad to go home.
Pros
ever thing was good
Cons
did not find any cons
Adventurous
Cash office outfitter (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB26 February 2018
Everyday you got a chance to learn something new. Very disappointed the store is closing, will miss everyone I met and the customers we got to serve!!
not great
Backroom Team Member (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON8 February 2018
Managers are rude and do not take pride in their work or workers, you will feel unwanted and uncomfortable in the workplace. Not a recommended job. stay away if you like to enjoy your job.
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 February 2018
very laid back work environment
fun customers
management was not great at resolving conflict
employees were grouped socially and formed clicks
loved the products
Went strongly downhill once excellent store manager was fired
Camping Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 January 2018
Was a great place to work with the best store manager that I have ever had the privilege to with but they were terminated without notice one day and their replacement is fairly difficult to work under.

Be cautious of all reviews before 2017 because the manager that likely caused all the positive feedback is no longer there.
Awesome place, great environment
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 January 2018
Fun and energetic place, people are super nice to be around and wonderful environment. The time I've spent as a volunteer has been fabulous and I would go back and do it all over again.
Pros
Pizza for lunch that was free
Cons
Short break
Interesting place, not managed well, little to no benefits.
Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 January 2018
The management do not communicate well if at all. Instant benefits like discounts are very limited, medical denefits are with an almost unheard of company. The corprate offices put into place policies and rules that sometimes make no sense and show that all the “higher ups” have never worked a day of retail in their lives.
Pros
Cons
Lots
Great management amazing staff, Like one big family
Cabelas inc (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 January 2018
Amazing employment. Celebrated every special day (National cereal day, build your own hot chocolate/ sundae, Find the elf on the shelf, ext...) I will continue to go back for the part time temporary position
Pros
Lunches and staff appreciation awards and amazing management
Cons
It was a nice place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2018
I enjoyed the type of people that came through my till. Everyone seemed to really enjoy working their as I did. They are very focused on keeping everything running smoothly which I love.
We are a family
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 January 2018
Cabelas is worth the while, we are a family there. its fun to work at the store, you will meet a lot of interesting people.
management is awesome no doubt about that and your coworkers will always have something to make you laugh about.
Pros
discount
Cons
can only use it for your own location
I enjoyed it
Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Barrie2 January 2018
I actually enjoyed it. Not too many places that you can work and talk to people about hunting and fishing and get paid for it. Somedays are better then others. The pay was min. wage but I wasn't there to make a living. i just worked part-time seasonal, and wasn't lucky enough to stay on. Would go back if called!! Most managers are pretty good.
Nice place to work
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 December 2017
Nice co-workers, very good discounts. you can tell that corporate cares about the employees. Free lunches on occasion. Fairly flexible hours for students.
Pros
Good atmosphere, and bosses
Cons
low pay, hard to get even a small raise, long hours.
Great experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 December 2017
Cash duties were keeping tills clean and organized. Keep your paperwork organized and stocked. Also keep up on bag supply. Fill coolers and candy. At customer service you would help out with returns/exchanges and purchasing. Also had to sell licenses for hunting and fishing. Managers had their good and bad days. Hardest part of the job was to try and find staff to come in if someone got sick. The most enjoyable part was sharing stories and laughs with customers.
Cons
dress code
great company to work
Sales Associate - archery/hunting department (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 December 2017
great staff, management knows products, staff, and customers well. only downside is having to work 1 day of the weekend and 1 closing shift per week, otherwise its a pretty flexible schedule.
Pros
good co workers, management is very good at what they do
Cons
1 weekend day and 1 closing shift per week