Cabela's Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 124 reviews matching the search See all 1,934 reviews
Awsome place
Customer service manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 December 2018
I worked at customer service and cash, I helped customer find the product that they are looking for on line or in stock.
and if we didn't have it in stock I would help them order it in at he order desk.
I helped put stock out, on the floor and modify the space for new items that came in.
A Good Place
Cashier Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 January 2019
I quite enjoy working here, they are very good with schedules. The team is pretty awesome. Easy to talk to managers if there's any issues. Everyone is pretty easy going.
Poor staff and management.
Hunting outfitter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 December 2018
A good place to go to when you are a customer. Not the greatest place to work. Give under the required amount of shifts
/ hours per week as scheduled. Management is conflicting. Not good balance.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Poor amounts of shifts
Smells fantastic due to indoor fudge shop
Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC17 January 2019
Was almost an enjoyable place to be. There are a select group of people that make it bearable, however management is highly typical retail attitude. High-volume movement is all that is important, whether it be products moving out the store or employees.
On the job training is very poor. On the job direction is very poor; I spent my first hours of my first few shifts, wandering the store just because I could. No one knew I was there, nor did anyone know what they were doing or what I was supposed to be doing.
90% of the current employees are under 6 months into the job, with many of them being young (under 20) or semi-retired senile people that are very cranky and not enjoyable to work with.
This is a high-turnover business - as with most retail businesses. I was terminated less than 4 weeks after being hired for missing shifts. I informed my interviewer pre-hire that I am a business owner and that my employment was a trial, as we did not know if I would be able to make all my shifts while still running my business. I was unable to and ended up missing two shifts, as we had discussed during my interview was a possibility.
During my termination speech I asked for the reason for termination, where I was met with a sarcastic laugh and told that I should be able to figure it out myself.
In final, I was given a termination letter that informs me my final pay will be coming in a few weeks - not only unacceptable but illegal. In BC, upon being terminated you're employer is required to pay you ALL moneys owed within 48 hours of your termination.

I will post back if they do
  more... not pay me within the 48 hours. Overall, if you're a fresh young student with a plan for life and you know you won't stay here long, it's a great job for kids or retired adults that need a mentally and physically very simplistic short-term job.  less
Pros
indoor fudge shop smells fantastic
Cons
Impersonal management. Lowest possible wages. Lack of proper training.
Horrible management
Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC24 January 2019
The management was absolutely horrible. They are all a bunch of liars and manipulative. Rare and few times they actually help the outfitters, they mostly hide in their offices and don't face any of the customer concerns.
They don't treat anyone with respect that works there, unless you're buddy buddy with them somehow. You get absolutely no recognition. Don't expect ANYTHING from anyone, no matter how hard you bust your butt.
All in all, the place is run by a bunch of children.
Pros
Discount on cabelas brand only.
Cons
Pretty much everything
Enjoyable workplace
Employee (Current Employee) –  Manitoba20 January 2019
Enjoyable work place. Flexible hours are easy to work with. Only downside is minimum wages for work you're doing. Not to sure what "competitive wages" means and who they're competing with
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Wage
Worst job i've had
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK5 November 2018
I enjoyed the staff except the management. Absolutely no room for growth. They assigned your breaks and you couldn't just go whenever which isn't that bad, but the supervisors always were busy at customer service that they were late giving you your breaks frequently sometimes like an hr and a half late. Customers were rude with giving their postal codes for flyers in the mail, and when purchasing ammunition and presenting their PAL. The supervisors also got mad if you stood at your till or talked to other associates because you always have to be "doing something" like cleaning or restocking.
Pros
Free popcorn in the break room
Cons
Great place to work at if you are a student.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 October 2018
They work well with students and two managers there are beyond amazing. There is a lot of issues at Corporate and can be a very drama filled area within the store at times, but made so many friends there and was super fun at times. Great if you want to experience things you have never experienced before and to work with great people while you are attending school.
Pros
Staff is nice, managers are caring, and perks.
Cons
corporate sucks, it is difficult to get to and from there via tranist.
ok job
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC19 October 2018
very strict job with very strict management. If you are a female employee, male customers will treat you like you don't know anything in your own department. overall good environment.
Pros
good discounts
Cons
management
Fun and Enjoyable Workplace
Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 September 2018
Working at Cabela's was a fun and enjoyable job (even though I was only part-time). The management and staff are top-notch and make work a very great place to be. The part-time salary is pretty low but that is understandable for being a part-time outfitter
Pros
Awesome Management / 3 Breaks / Friendly Co-workers
Cons
Low Pay
Productive work place with rude management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 August 2018
Team members were good to each other and kept e=one another moving but some management was rude and very ill to understanding what a good staff needs and how to keep your staff instead of a rovolving door
Management picks favorites, too much politics
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Regina10 July 2018
As a longer outfitter at the store, they accomadate schedules ok if your a student, however they give set schedules to certain people even though it isn’t supposed to be that way. Management is reactive and not proactive, with certain managers picking on the younger demographic of the store. The wage is terrible, and one year raises are an absolute joke.
It is an alright place to work
Cashier/Customer Service/Home and Cabin dept (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC5 June 2018
Cabela's was a fun place to work at in the beginning until management changed. unfortunately things have gone down hill. favoritism or dislike is obvious, and the way things are handled can be unprofessional.
management is no good, employees are amazing
In-Store Pick Up and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON25 April 2018
The management is very clicky and don't care for the employees at all, the atmosphere with the employees is amazing. They didn't train new employees very well, they were basically thrown to the wolves and learn as you go which then turned into them quitting and it was a lot of new people in and out. a lot a lot of the time we were very under staffed
Pros
the employees
Cons
management doesn't care
The ony bad thing I can say is the pay does not reflect the work that the Clothing Lead has to do.
CLOTHING DEPARTMENT LEAD (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK27 April 2018
Cabela's Canada is the greatest retail job I have ever had. Management, coworkers and the general atmosphere is great. My only issue is the wage, if the wage was hire I would not be currently looking for a new job.
Pros
Cons
Pay
Loved it.
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB10 April 2018
Amazing work environment with amazing people. I loved my job working customer service for our local Cabela's, and had they not closed their doors I surely would have continued working there.
cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 April 2018
one can learn about different products that cabelas sells, weekends, summer and hunting seasons are busiest. for the most part every one gets treated fairly.
Pros
staff discounts, door prizes at meetings, and big discounts if store meets quota
Cons
non
Would not go back.
excellent customer service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 March 2018
I loved the store but did not so much enjoy my time there with the management and the really poor work atmosphere. management was never understanding and was not supportive of anyone.
Good work environment, Interesting field of business.
Lead Outfitter, Optics Section Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 March 2018
Good work environment, Interesting and rewarding field of retail business, Lots of technical stuff for someone who is interested in the outdoors activity. Lots of language practice for a new immigrant. But a very low pay that does not attract to make a carrier within this company.
Pros
interesting field of business
Cons
low pay
Management ruins it
Sales outfitter (Former Employee) –  Alberta7 March 2018
The employees you work with are great and you feel like family but the managers barely know anything and take out their frustrations on you and other employees. The discount is very limited and not even your parents or siblings are allowed to use it. Managers will ignore serious situations until 2 weeks later and bring it up at very random times. They think that employees don't talk to eachother and tell employees different things. Human Resources is rude and doesn't care about employees. Wage gap is basically non existent and they don't do regular reviews which means you hardly ever get a raise.
Pros
Great employees, environment. Free lunch sometimes. Occasional Product knowledge presentations
Cons
Poor Management, HR. Non livable Salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cabela's Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.