CPA Ontario

CPA Ontario Employee Reviews

Canada37 reviews

peopletimegreatworkcompanyjobgoodlot

Classic Top-Down/Burocratic Type of Management

Quite a bit of turnover due to not a very engaging/boring workplace culture but with a great location, office building, lounging area and snack perks.

Pros

Hard to get things done or make decisions without heavy involvement of HR/Corp.

Cons

Interesting "non-profit" with quite a big monetary budget but lack of employee investment.

Poor Management

Poor management - no room to move up. Work politics is a major factor for high turn over ratio. Too many project managers leading and controlling experienced employees and laid off many great workers after the merge (CA, CMA & CGA).

Insights into CPA Ontario

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment

Low salary, low morale

Executive Team out of touch. Salaries are not competitive. HR VP lacks people skills. Work life balance is generally good.During the COVID pandemic, sick days were cut back which is unconscionable.

Pros

Staff mostly friendly

Cons

Salary, benefits

Good Place to create an understanding of corporate culture

- Good variety of experiences working in a multi-level organization - good work live balance - excellent location if you are living in downtown Toronto

Pros

Great location

Cons

Hard to move from temporary to permanent employment

Good company to work for

The proctoring jobs are sporadic and there's no guarantee of employment dates; when working the instructions are clear and the staff and employers are efficient.

Pros

meals are provided

Cons

jobs are infrequent

Productive and fun workplace with table tennis and soccer team

I work from 8:30 am to 5 pm. One hour lunch break. Meeting with business user in person or conference call. I develop and maintain application as per customer's requirement. I keep learning new technology in workplace. I enjoy it.

Fast pace

Coworkers are great. Lots of collaboration going on. Work allocation is not equal. Some persons have way too much to do and others seem to have lots more free time.

Pros

Co-workers

Cons

Lack of recognition

Poor Management

I don't agree to do this type of survey in order to apply for a job. I feel you should remove these and not make them mandatory. Soliciting feedback on previous employers is something I will do verbally

Stressful with poor management

Although departments themselves change, much of the poor leadership experienced l as well as the stressful situations are repeated for many people. Most of my friends and I quit. Benefits were great and I overstayed because of few friendships. I would not recommend to a friend

Mostly contract staff

Managers range from engaged to not interested- basically putting in time until they retire ( and very open about it ) . Other staff are responsible for training you so that can vary to the quality of training. If you are trained by someone like I was that spent more time on their phone looking for another job meh not so great .Tons of contract staff which probably explains the lack of engagement. They string you along with we may hire - then put you on a month to month contract . If you can find a decent full time job for the same money take it before you work for CPA.

Productive and fun workplace

nice people to work with, good work life balance. lots of changes both culturally and technologically. sometimes it gets overbearing keeping with all the changes. leadership takes on too many initiatives for the fiscal and then ends up not meeting about half of them.

Supportive

*Very supportive and friendly environment to work. *Believe in giving back to the community. *Management tools are well defined very safe and regulated company.

A stepping stone for most

Most people I work with use their experience here to move onto something better. The support and appreciation for coordinators/specialists is very low in some departments. Others it does a lot better but it is difficult to progress quickly as most management/executives have been there awhile and don't plan on leaving anytime soon. Overall a good stepping stone to gain some experience and skills to make your next move towards your next step.

It was a great place to work

The people where lovely and the office layout was really good for mental wellbeing and concentration levels whilst working. They look after their staff weather temp or perm.

Not as bad as the reviews say

I read so many bad reviews before taking on the job that I was slightly afraid of what I might be in for. I experience some issues with not being included and lack of communication but all in all the experience was pretty positive. People were nice, even though it wasn't easy to penetrate the existing circles initially. My only real issue was that it was very difficult to find anyone to eat lunch with because everyone either preferred to eat alone at their desk or did not want to include newcomers to their existing lunch groups.

Unappreciative and Stressful

This company would rather extend your contract over and over again than hire someone full time and pay for benefits. They boast about advancing your position in the company but would rather hire externally than internally. For the amount of work that you do, the cons heavily outweigh the pros. I would NOT recommend working here unless you want to start out in the office atmosphere. Procedures and processes are always up in the air - nothing is ever finalized and there's a lot of back and forth between departments The only thing keeping me to this job were my coworkers who understood the struggle and tried to make the best of it. I would summarize this company in two words: Unorganized & Cheap.

Pros

Casual Fridays, Treat Day once a month

Cons

Stressful, No Benefits, Under Appreciative

Convenient for now

The largest challenge is trying to ask for help, it's not that I am afraid to ask questions or admit if I don't understand anything, from what I have experienced, when I have asked for help I have been met with hostility. Some of my peers are helpful but are not always around if I need support. The work environment is really not conducive to ongoing education or that which supports training staff. Management is fairly hands off.

Pros

Laid back office environment, convenient location

Cons

Poor onboarding process, Little room for growth, Everyone works in silos and there's little understanding as to what other departments do.

CPA Ontario

The type of work expected of someone of my position is, indeed, understandable. My problems lay not with the work I perform (although there could be some said about that) but with the company's turnover rate. Not only would I say a large fraction of their staff is made up of contract employees, but rather, that they do not promote advancement internally. Instead of hiring someone full time, they would keep extending contracts over and over again at random intervals between a week and a few months. Many employees believe that this is because they merely do not want to pay for benefits. Considering the amount of work and dedication some contract people have for this company - it is a shame to see that they would rather hire someone new and have to train them, then hire full time a contract employee who is already familiar with the work.

Pros

Benefits - if you have them.

Cons

Employment/turnover

I'm drawing a blank

Honestly, I get it. You need a job and CPA posts wonderful ads that entice you to work for them. RUN! DON'T APPLY! You are expected to work yourself thin and not complain. No one appreciates your work or will say a simple thank you. Everyone is out for themselves and blame is spread like wildfire. The workplace culture is rather toxic. I don't say that lightly. CPA has a way about making you feel like a failure at life. You get stuck in a place you don't want to be. If you are not an accountant, you can expect to make far less even though in most positions there you don't need to have a designation. If your manager was there before the merger then you are probably out of luck. Most "Managers" that come from legacy bodies are simply buying their time as they are hoping that CPA will buy them out. Sadly they won't. These people will probably be the first ones let go during the next round of changes. This means that the eager beavers who were never given the opportunity to be promoted internally will jump at the chance to have a manager title. It's actually really smart on CPA's part because they can offer that person maybe 1% more to do the same work as their manager (with an added meeting or two). You think you deserve a salary increase? That's not going to happen. The yearly performance review has been designed so that large increases are not given out. I was told by the manager that as I got an increase the previous year, it was suggested that I shouldn't get one during the next round. When I went to seek clarification of this, no one would meet with me or put -

Pros

You have a job that mostly has benefits (that doesn't tend to apply to everyone)

Cons

Underpaid, horrible management, limited advancement

Bureaucratic and old school

Worked at the CPAO before, during and after its merge with CMAO and CGAO. Hated every day of my life. Autonomy was non existent. It was very hard to get your message passed across the board or make people listen when offering any improvements to the processes. All communications with Gods on higher floors had to be done only through your manager or via inter-office mail. Are you kidding me? Brought me back into dinosaur age. A lot of micromanagement. Best part of the job was half-day Fridays in the summer but those don't exist anymore. After the merge, a lot of benefits were taken away, lots of employees got fired. Not sure if anything changed for the better since then but doesn't sound like it from other reviews. Think twice before applying to this place.

Out of touch company with contempt for its own staff

Salaries are far below average for the industry, and applications for raises are met with gaslighting and put-downs from HR. Performance reviews are a joke, the formula for scoring change every year and are disregarded by individual managers, making one wonder what one's review is in fact based on. Working here for any length of time leaves a metaphorical bad taste in one's mouth. Turnover is understandably high, and morale is low.

Pros

Decent location

Cons

Low salary, preference for temps and external consultants over developing staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CPA Ontario. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement