CDI Computer Dealers Inc. Employee Reviews

It's a warehouse
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON2 March 2018
Pro:
It is easy to get into CDI. If you know how to find out the type of RAM, you are in. So very good for someone who is looking to get into IT or first job.

Cons:
There is no training even for the internal processes. So get there and get ready to hear "don't you know this"? although you are new. Do not expect the management to come to you and be polite. In job as soon as we saw someone being taken by one lady, we knew that the guy was being fired. I found it weird - someone comes to your desk, asks you to come and in five minutes, you are shown the door.

During lean time, expect the hours to be reduced for one or two months.

Overall a good company to start with but nothing much. However, there are many people, who have been working here for years. So you might hear different views.
Pros
Free Pizza during overtime
Cons
No certainty, management not supportive, work culture
Wait more to find a better job
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 December 2018
Even a bad place to start. you better wait more and look for a better place to work. lay off randomly and workplace culture is so bad management is worst.
This is the worst in Canada.
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON8 November 2018
Poor salary,
poor training,
lowest management skill.
the supervisor look like doesn't nothing. only know ask why.
look like nobody know how to manage the time.
Truly good sales reps can make a living.. otherwise not really
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON14 June 2018
Highly skilled sales reps can take advantage of a fairly strong commission structure. Salary is minimum wage. Seems like company is constantly trying to supress your earnings. Rarely get the GM you're expecting to.

Biased heirarchy within the company. Long-time reps have a 1.5 million+ student userbase while a new rep could have 300k.

There is an opportunity to make money if you are smart, creative, and talented at sales.. but even then it is challenging.

Good starting role in IT Sales to get industry experience needed to move onto bigger and better things.
Its wonderfull place to work here
Computer Network Technician (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON13 September 2018
great people here very supportive and entertaining events every month to keep working love this place simple work and mostly repetitive you get to explore more electronic devices like laptop,desktop,ipad,phones and more
Pros
cafeteria, monthly icecream treat
Cons
long hours get paid
Very poor place to work
Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON13 July 2018
Staff treated like sub human. People get fired constantly for no reason. Feels like sweat shop run like one too. Must be some laws being broken because human beings should never be treated in this manner
Cons
Be prepared to get fired
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON24 December 2017
Great people on my team, but we were all overworked. People or whole departments would disappear overnight. Due to “restructuring” or “cutbacks”. Those that were left had to take over those jobs too.

No one EVER gets raises and the starting pay was low to begin with. You are just a number to the higher ups. I saw so many people get fired during my years there. I knew it was just a matter of time before it was my turn.

Take a job here if you’re desperate, but don’t expect raises or job security.
Pros
Free coffee/tea, summer picnic, nice coworkers
Cons
Low pay, no sick days, you will be fired no matter how well you perform
Test and Audit Technician (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON14 July 2018
Salary never increased during last 6 years of my work. No opportunity to grow up. Friendly environment. Fully unpaid break time. Secured job. All benefits provided.
not bad place for beginner.
Network cabling technician (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON31 July 2018
Low salary and benefits.
it's good for beginner / graduates only.
The company has group benefit and vacation after you work a year.
One summer BBQ and group party.
Fun to work
RMA tecknikan (Current Employee) –  Markam / ON13 March 2017
CDI computers is good place to work as a beginner , we fix more than 45 computer a day Plus we do parts for RMA provide new parts for the customers.
i learned how to fix computers really fast ( hardware and software ) , notebooks and tablets as well. and process RMA tickets
managment not that good at CD ( not all of them ) I , for exmple i do more than 4 jobs at the same time , and my manager doesn't show any appreciation ( no management skills ) .
the hardest parts of the job is you have to stay extra hours ( which i don't mind it at all ) and the salary really low in CDI .
the most enjoyable part is the Pizza luch and BBQ on Summer time .
Pros
Free lunch evey while
Cons
long hours, and low sallary
sales director is fake
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON10 April 2018
high turn over rate , team leaders make money from you and you don't even know about it

HR people are very shady, not professional at all, no benefits
Worst Work culture
Computer Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON27 September 2017
No benefits, No career advancement, Salary is too low. Once anyone joins here they have to work machine. No scope of learning of anykind. Management is worst i have ever seen.
Expectations are selective
Key Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 May 2018
The system built is based on burnt out leads that you must revive due to the high turnover rate of sales reps. Team Lead and environment is very cooperative. Company should change approach to market if not done so yet.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Low pay
Avoid working here
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON29 July 2016
I worked at CDI Computer Dealers full-time (More than a year), I did not feel that I had a secured job.
Company won't recognize for your good job, even if you work hard, but they will ask you why you were late 2 minutes, maybe a good company for beginners not for experience workers, not really organized and lack of training.
Worst management team I have ever seen, too many issues communication between departments, company wants to keep expanding without putting resources into each department to compensate for growth (extreme workloads on all departments)
Pros
I really tried to think of one
Cons
poor pay, unpaid breaks, bad management, so called managers look at you as you are their slave, no training, only 10 days vacation, no matter how long you've worked there
Family Oriented Company, lot of Pizza Party, great Picnic for kids of employes every year, great Christmas Party Every Year , lot of gifts and Draws
Quality Control Technician / Computer Technician (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON14 February 2014
I like that company as it looks like family oriented company, Lot of pizza parties, Ice Cream , barbeques, great picnic every year, great Christmas party every year in Hotel with night stay. Management is honestly good, they respect employs.
The only bad thing is no increase in pay after even you get experienced and almost no chance of advancement in carrier and the work environment is dusty due to refurbished computers.
Pros
free picnic, barbique, pizza parties, Ice Cream parties, Haloween Fun, Christmas Party and lot
Cons
no increase in pay even after you got experienced no advancement in carrier, dusty environment due to refurbished computers
Education is number one priority
Accounting Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Markham, Ontario7 September 2012
At CDI I was a receptionist and Accounting Assistant. I would perform the duties of a reception and also assist the Accounting Department. A typical day would include mailing invoices as well as other documents given to me. I would also sort the mail, answer the phones, provide assistance to employees and customers. I would also process, post and endorse the cheques for Accounts Receivable. I would also post invoices for payment. The most difficult part of the position was the overwhelming workload. I would often do overtime and the occasional weekend to complete my tasks as necessary. The most enjoyable was the vast amount of knowledge in my relevant field of study
Pros
profit sharing program
Cons
long hours, poor compensation
Dont waste your time!
Account Manager sales (Former Employee) –  Markham ON9 September 2015
Only positive about this company is the fact that some people who work there are really nice. Otherwise head for the exit sign.

Poor management, lack of leadership, very high turnover, boiler room 'wolf of wallstreet' mentality with sales dept, inadequate training, exhausted sales leads and accounts, extremely shady business practices used by sales people, above all the main problem is the business model - selling refurb computers to schools, colleges, universities is a lost cause when trying to compete with real pc hardware companies ie. Dell, Lenovo, HP etc. In an extremely competitive small income potential market.

I'd rather work at McDonalds for min wage any day!!
Pros
Nice people, free coffee
Lots of work
Shipping/Receiving (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON14 November 2015
Learned a lot and every day has a challenge, working different duties, too much for 1 person, I don’t feel that management has been supportive, my position title does not reflect what I really do, company has minimum benefits, like no sick days, do not expect salary wages to be raised every year, no space to grow
Pros
I can't think of one
Cons
everything else
Misusing the labour law; Unnecessary Contracts.
Team Leader/Computer Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON29 August 2014
Driver was the job title over there; however, I were working as computer technician, Quality Control Technician, Field Technician, Order Picker, Assistant Shipper and Receiver, Imaging Technician, Parts replacing technician (Bulk Computers), Network Technician.

I did not get enough pay for the all the work I did. Also I could not able to leave for family vacation. So I walked out. The company management were trying to bring you down for their own purpose to spoiling your credibility you gained on the career field.

Their hired a few co worker; however, they are about to retired. They came to work place and didn't want to work. All the work load came to my head. Most co-worker I were working with are trying to get pay by sitting on the bed.

The harder part of the job, managers never listen. sitting in back of the building, cracking bob corns.

Gained some valuable experience by handling dell & Hp PC lines. The US & Canada governments are giving more opportunity do business. These management are doing business by using that.
Brutal place to work
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Markham24 October 2015
Extremely low pay , no benefits, minimal holidays and terrible management. I recommend working here only as a last resort. I worked in the marketing department and it's very poorly managed. It almost felt like they pretending to be a marketing department. Anyways, working there included some of the longest and most painful days I've had at any company. Consider yourself warned...
Pros
Still trying to think of something...
Cons
Management, Low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CDI Computer Dealers Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8