Business Development Bank of Canada

Business Development Bank of Canada Employee Reviews

Canada47 reviews

goodgreatworkmanagementpeopleplacecompanybalance

Good place to start your career

Pay is low, turnover is high. But work life balance is great. Good place to start your career. But move on as opportunities for career advancement are low.

Great culture and work/life balance. Lots of networking events and sales culture. Need to do a great job working your sales pipeline and strategy. You will not make lots of money at BDC , but secure job and meeting your goal als can be achieved if you work hard and networking skills are good.

Insights into Business Development Bank of Canada

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness

Good place to start a career in banking but be ready to transition to a chartered bank for career advancement and higher compensation.

Overall good place to work for a period of time but not to stay and develop a career.Good working culture although there is pressure to sell loans.Management struggles with high turnover and uncompetitive products.

Inclusive corporate culture

Good company for newer entrants into the workplace. Lots of interactive training and mentoring to support job readiness. Opportunity to learn about different industries.

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Limited job mobility

Extreme sales pressure

The company itself is a good company to work for but the environment is no longer about banking and strictly about sales. If you've sold a difficult product in your previous life than you will enjoy working on the front lines here.

Pros

Good work/life balance, WFH and technology is top notch, Pay and benefits, Pension is good compared to other lenders - but not government

Cons

Extreme sales culture (this is the highest priority for most management), Not focused on clients needs - more worried about getting loans processed, Product is no longer competitive in the lending market, Don't take employees concerns seriously

Horrible...

The training and onboarding new hires are awfully disorganized, they always leave you hanging with your questions unanswered. Almost impossible to get promoted, their career development is terrible as it is extremely competitive to move up within the bank. The salary increase is not the greatest, it's unpleasant especially when you've contributed so much.

Pros

Benefits (RRSP, pensions, vacations, remote working etc)

Excellent

Très bon employeur. Travail familleTrès bon salaire et avantages sociauxPossibilité d’avancement Qualité de bureau excellent

Pros

Diversité

Cons

Aucun

Not a fun place anymore

Since the management change it is not a good place to work anymore. Top management need to change and be more supportive. They are not in line with the market dynamics.

Micromanage staff

Very cliquey- only get promoted if you’re part of the in crowd and get preferential treatment, managers and upper management micromanage all staff, unrealistic expectations. Pay is less than market rate for similar positions elsewhere. Only positives are benefits and pension but not worth it to stay at the company.

Pros

Cons

Underpaid, micromanaged, cliques

Good place to work. Provides training and opportunities to advance.

Most days were busy and productive. Ability to build relationships internally and externally. Most employees were very willing to share their information regarding policies and experience.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

High level of stress

Overall

It all depends on the department you work for. In 5 yrs i worked at BDC - i experienced many positives and many negatives. Originally procurement was under the Information Technology Silo since most procurement activities were for IT technology. Management at the time took their time and taught me how to manage and launch procurement initiatives. I was hired for the position of procurement and vendor management - my strength was managing partners and clients. I was part of the procurement and vendor management office and within the 2 years i was allocated to a special project team that worked on a complete re-hall of the PVM head offices. It was a great team with awesome individuals - real team players. I managed procurement processes for most technology that was being implemented along with architects and construction companies. Procurement eventually was moved under the finance team and new management came in place. With little regard to their employees and processes in place. New management provided little to know guidance and added stress and unpleasant environment.

Pros

renovated offices - open space

Cons

stressful - mea culpa's for management do not exist

i am prince khaalid omer and I have phd of international trade

There are so many wonderful things about working for the company. My favorite is probably the flexibility I have with my hours. I also love the company culture and enjoy working with everyone. A lot of employees love their jobs because it looks great on a resume and allows them to gain a lot of knowledge.

Belle expérience de travail.

Belle expérience de travail. travail stimulant et direction à l écoute.

Fun and coordinating in work

Hi Good place and stressfree location .There is no work force.Management is a friendly.I learned lot of new things in my life how to manage difficult situation in a work.

Nice people but politics at the top makes advancement impossible

Montreal is the head office and that is where the opportunities are, in other areas the movement within the advisory services is very limited. People stay in roles forever without advancement.

Good company

Learn new skills, meet different people, work with clients, team activities, overall recommend, commute to work is hectic when TTC is down, especially in winter

Overall amazing work life balance

A bit of a boys club but if you can just get past that and focus on your own work and clients you will do well. Great pay and the best benefits I’ve ever had.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Lack of training or guidance

Great place to work but not good at handling difficult management

The work atmosphere is great, fantastic benefits, good pay, nice people, good work/life balance in general. But if you get a bad manager: oops. BDC tries to look the other way, shuffle you elsewhere, or stick their head in the sand rather than deal with the problem, especially if the manager meets their target.

Pros

Benefits, good vacation, personal days off

Cons

Nice new offices, but oldschool mentality.

Very good employer to work for, great projects but lack of visibility long term

Depends on which team you work for, in general the Bank has a lot to offer and great people work there. The benefit are very good, salary does not always match the cost of life in Toronto. Great disparity of salary between consultants (overpaid) and full time staff (underpaid)

review summary

The bdc company was started at 9:00am. I went to company door and meet a person who is woman executivly. For 2 days I was effort to represent my work. Especially, I'm comfort about fairness of company.

Pros

virtual

Canada

From Monday to Thursday at work and Friday to Sunday to look around and anything you people want me to do it will do it the most enjoyable part of the job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Business Development Bank of Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement